Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Venom Snake posted:

How is Europe in any way a hostile climate to Jewish people when the largest Muslim population is in France at 10%, and less than 1% of terrorism acts in Europe in the past few years were committed by Muslims or Islam related, that doesn't really seem like cause to pick up and leave.

It's like moving into a underground bunker because a person in your state got struck by lightning.

I'm going to guess that >90% of deaths due to terrorism in Europe over the past few years have been at the hands of radical Muslims. Just slightly higher than your number, which probably counts things like knocking over a trash can as "terrorism."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Then again, the last successful terrorist attack in Denmark was at the hands of a neo-nazi angry about immigration in 1992.

Edit: http://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%B8ller%C3%B8dgadebomben

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 16, 2015

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Arkane posted:

I'm going to guess that >90% of deaths due to terrorism in Europe over the past few years have been at the hands of radical Muslims. Just slightly higher than your number, which probably counts things like knocking over a trash can as "terrorism."

Did you specify "last few years" just to exclude Utøya?

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2015/01/daily-chart-8

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arkane posted:

More people die each year due to lightning and bird related incidents than Islamic terror. Why hasn't everyone moved to the underground super dome to escape the evils of birds and lightning? At least at the superdome they shall be defended against such horrors.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Venom Snake posted:

More people die each year due to lightning and bird related incidents than Islamic terror.

That must be a comforting statistic to residents of Mosul.

Oh, I see. By "people" you meant "white people".

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Nope, he did. The chart excludes the beheading of a UK soldier (edit: I see, "two or more deaths"), as well as foiled plots and failed attacks (like the Glasgow airport).

In the totality of the situation, that chart shows you that something like Norway is an ugly exception, and the repetition of violence perpetrated by Muslim radicals is sadly becoming a norm.

Arkane fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 16, 2015

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Smudgie Buggler posted:

That must be a comforting statistic to residents of Mosul.

Oh, I see. By "people" you meant "white people".

The post he was referring to specified Europe, in the context of whether islamic terrorism represented a significant threat to the lives of average Europeans, so unless Mosul is in Europe now you can ease off your embarrassing hip-shot racism accusation.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arkane posted:

Nope, he did. The chart excludes the beheading of a UK soldier, as well as foiled plots and failed attacks (like the Glasgow airport).

In the totality of the situation, that chart shows you that something like Norway is an ugly exception, and the repetition of violence perpetrated by Muslim radicals is sadly becoming a norm.

The chart shows that Islamic terrorists are small time compared to humanities greatest enemy, doors. When will the Jews of europe flee to Israel, a land well known for not having a single door?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Venom Snake posted:

How is Europe in any way a hostile climate to Jewish people when the largest Muslim population is in France at 10%, and less than 1% of terrorism acts in Europe in the past few years were committed by Muslims or Islam related, that doesn't really seem like cause to pick up and leave.

It's like moving into a underground bunker because a person in your state got struck by lightning.

This narrative of danger from anti-semitism is Zionist rhetoric, so it's not too surprising to see that sort of narrative propagate itself much like "rocket attacks" :supaburn: gets bandied about in America.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Arkane posted:

Nope, he did. The chart excludes the beheading of a UK soldier, as well as foiled plots and failed attacks (like the Glasgow airport).

You chose to discard non-fatal attacks in your post.

Culprits during the period of 06–11 are entirely 'unknown' or 'other', should we believe that those attacks culminated in the Norwegian massacre? If I'm reading the chart right it groups fatalities by attack, indicating there have been few Islamist terror attacks since the 7/7 bombing, with no realistic trend. It's unfortunate it doesn't specify year or perpetrator for the single-victim attacks but whatever.

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

Venom Snake posted:

More people die each year due to lightning and bird related incidents than Islamic terror. Why hasn't everyone moved to the underground super dome to escape the evils of birds and lightning? At least at the superdome they shall be defended against such horrors.

More people die of x than y, therefore x is no big deal, context and timing are not relevant at all.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

dilbertschalter posted:

More people die of x than y, therefore x is no big deal, context and timing are not relevant at all.

Context and timing are relevant, Islamic terrorism is not a threat to the average citizen Jewish or not. Is Islamic terrorism bad? Yes, and it should be stopped, but it's not nearly dangerous as people think it is.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Liberal_L33t posted:

A "need"? Perhaps not quite - but it can definitely be useful, and justified, if the goal is abhorrent enough.
"If the goal is abhorrent enough" is certainly a modification on your initial statement.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Sheikh Muhammad Abul Huda al-Yaqoubi:

quote:

In the wake of the terrorist attacks which took place in the past two days in Copenhagen, Denmark, we would like to express in the strongest words our condemnation of these attacks and show our solidarity with the Danish people and the Danish government.

As Muslim scholars, we denounce any violence done in the name of our religion, Islam, which should be source of peace and should motivate its Muslims to spread love and show Mercy to all humanity. Therefore, we call upon Muslims to abandon violence and opt for peaceful means to protest or object if they do not agree with something in the society where they live.

Furthermore, I would like to remind my fellow Muslims living in Denmark or elsewhere in Europe, that there is a contract between them and the governments, it is a sacred covenant based on respecting the law and abiding by all legislations. People's lives and wealth and all their rights are protected in Islam regardless of their religion and Muslims do not breach their covenants nor are they treacherous.

Muslims are not at war with Denmark nor are they at war with the West, and war cannot declared by individuals or groups; it is based on political relations between countries.

I am sure that there are a lot of differences between Muslims' cultures wherever they come from and the Danish and Nordic or European cultures, part of which is unlimited freedom of speech, which sometimes causes us a lot of unrest and anger. Our answer to this should be in trying to present a beautiful image of Islam, and a perfect example of the matchless character of the Prophet of Islam. This way, people will love him and welcome us.

Putting explosives and killing people is a source of destruction not only to us, but also to our communities, to our religion, and to the good that is in the societies in which we live. Please, give people a chance to love us as Muslims by showing them love, even if you do not like them or like what you do; love indeed is the most powerful way to win people to your side.

I reiterate my condemnation of the terrorist attacks and my solidarity with the Danish people and call for the Danish Muslim community to unite against violence; as violence begets hatred to Muslims and Islam, which we are struggling to remove.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

boom boom boom posted:

Do the Jews living in East Asia, like Japan, Korea, Taiwan, etc. get much poo poo?

The big Korean message boards are pretty anti-Semitic, but they probably couldn't tell a Hasid from a Mennonite and half of it is like Americans using the word "gypped" without any kind of a clue. No one really cares.

Venom Snake posted:

SedanChair posted:

This narrative of danger from anti-semitism is Zionist rhetoric, so it's not too surprising to see that sort of narrative propagate itself much like "rocket attacks" :supaburn: gets bandied about in America.

Yeah, no. Copenhagen has four synagogues that I could find on Google. There are 8000 total Jews in Denmark. That's a 1 in 4 chance of "your" synagogue getting hit and 1% of all Jews in the country fired upon at that bar mitzvah.

Same for Brussels, Paris, etc. The total number of Jews isn't that large and there are a lot of anti-Semitic acts that don't get reported, just like when bigots do it to Muslims. It's not loving lightning strikes.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Adar posted:

Yeah, no. Copenhagen has four synagogues that I could find on Google. There are 8000 total Jews in Denmark. That's a 1 in 4 chance of "your" synagogue getting hit and 1% of all Jews in the country fired upon at that bar mitzvah.

Same for Brussels, Paris, etc. The total number of Jews isn't that large and there are a lot of anti-Semitic acts that don't get reported, just like when bigots do it to Muslims. It's not loving lightning strikes.

It's being framed as an existential threat, which it is not.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I agree the attacks should stop, and I'm glad the Danish government is doing it's best to stop them. The continually sky falling dance party people keep having about Euro governments not caring about Jews is dumb and acting like some magical solution to this is every Jew moving to Israel is stupid.

antisemitism is not an inherently Muslim issue, and thinking an increase in anti-Semitic acts is some how related to Muslim immigration is also stupid.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
What does existential mean to you?

I'm not being pedantic. Nothing's gonna happen to them tomorrow or next year. But the community in Malmo will definitely be gone in a generation. If the French Jews keep leaving at 2% a year they'll be a fraction of their numbers in two.

There's a real conversation going on right now. It's not just Netanyahu being an rear end in a top hat. Not all that long ago, the people who argued the hardest for assimilation died first. The survivors are paranoid (see also Israel) and it doesn't take much to get them thinking. There are a significant number of people arguing that Malmo is the canary in the coalmine and the solution is to get out now. That the left is downplaying this or ignoring it is not helping the rest of us out.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
People are this brazenly and openly antisemitic in France?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AltyhmrIFgo

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Arkane posted:

Nope, he did. The chart excludes the beheading of a UK soldier (edit: I see, "two or more deaths"), as well as foiled plots and failed attacks (like the Glasgow airport).

white people violence: exceptional and extraordinary

brown people violence: a sad tendency of a backward race

good job as usual, arkane

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Why would French Jews choose to go to Israel when they could, in all likelihood, go to Montreal almost as easily, and probably be even safer than in Israel? There's a substantial Jewish community there, they speak the same language, it's in a first-world country, and the province of Quebec will do drat near anything to get Francophones to move there.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Arkane posted:

People are that racist in most places of Europe. Some who is black, wearing a veil, a Roma, etc. would get the same in 10 hours of random streets.

It's not like Israel isn't worse, just not against Jews :shrug:

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Adar posted:

What does existential mean to you?

I'm not being pedantic. Nothing's gonna happen to them tomorrow or next year. But the community in Malmo will definitely be gone in a generation. If the French Jews keep leaving at 2% a year they'll be a fraction of their numbers in two.

There's a real conversation going on right now. It's not just Netanyahu being an rear end in a top hat. Not all that long ago, the people who argued the hardest for assimilation died first. The survivors are paranoid (see also Israel) and it doesn't take much to get them thinking. There are a significant number of people arguing that Malmo is the canary in the coalmine and the solution is to get out now. That the left is downplaying this or ignoring it is not helping the rest of us out.

In what way is the left downplaying this when the EU Governments are doing their best to protect the Jewish people in Europe, In almost all of these attacks at least 1 or 2 soldiers were harmed. There is no canary in the coal mine, the Euro governments are responding appropriately to the situation.

PT6A posted:

Why would French Jews choose to go to Israel when they could, in all likelihood, go to Montreal almost as easily, and probably be even safer than in Israel? There's a substantial Jewish community there, they speak the same language, it's in a first-world country, and the province of Quebec will do drat near anything to get Francophones to move there.

Israel has a pretty good package deal for Jewish Immigrants, and a lot of people view (wrongfully in my opinion) Israel as the ancestral homeland of the Jewish people and that they don't belong anywhere else. Florida has the second highest Jewish population in the U.S. and Iv met more than few people who moved here from Israel to escape the insanity of Jewish politics there.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Popular Thug Drink posted:

white people violence: exceptional and extraordinary

brown people violence: a sad tendency of a backward race

good job as usual, arkane

Doesn't have anything to do with race -- as we saw in Boston.

The commonality is the twisted interpretation of Islam, not the color of the skin. Boko Haram is a different race than Hamas is a different race than the Chechens is a different race than Jemaah Islamiyah. Islamic terrorism is geographically and racially diverse.

What happened in Norway is a rare and tragic occurrence with no known affiliation to other acts. Meanwhile, terrorist violence perpetrated by Muslims has been common over the past couple of decades, and has scarily ramped back up in Europe over the past few years.

DarkCrawler posted:

People are that racist in most places of Europe. Some who is black, wearing a veil, a Roma, etc. would get the same in 10 hours of random streets.

It's not like Israel isn't worse, just not against Jews :shrug:

I realize racism exists in a lot of places, but it's a little disturbing that a first world country with a history of complicity in the mass murder of Jews could still see such wanton antisemitism.

Arkane fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 16, 2015

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Arkane posted:

What happened in Norway is a rare and tragic occurrence with no known affiliation to other acts. Meanwhile, terrorist violence perpetrated by Muslims has been common over the past couple of decades, and has scarily ramped back up in Europe over the past few years.

yeah i can see how you would think extremist right wing white nationalism is a totally out of the blue act with no connection to anyone or anything

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

PT6A posted:

They have been emigrating to Montreal, although it's not quite as simple as you might think. Montreal's Jewish community has historically been Anglophone and Ashkenazic, whereas French Jews are mostly Sephardic. The two Jewish communities don't mix very easily - it's not as if a second-generation family of Moroccan Jews from Marseille could set up house in Outremont with the Hasidim and feel at home. Sephardim and Hasidim have very little in common. Also, there is a long history of antisemitism among Catholic French Canadians. Montreal is a city overwhelmingly segregated along linguistic lines, and the Jewish community has traditionally been firmly on the Anglo side.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Popular Thug Drink posted:

yeah i can see how you would think extremist right wing white nationalism is a totally out of the blue act with no connection to anyone or anything

Good job just isolating that bit of the post. I'll stick with it, though.

How many deadly terrorist acts committed by right wing white nationalists have taken place over the past 25 years? What are the casualties?

How would you say it compares to the tens of thousands killed by Islamic terrorism that has touched every continent except Antarctica? Would you say that trying to equate the two on any level is something only an idiot would do?

In reality we're dealing with consistent and widespread Muslim violence in Africa, Europe, the Middle East, and across the south of Asia, extending into Australia.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

PT6A posted:

Israel was set up as a Jewish nation where Jewish people would be safe from the centuries of oppression and discrimination they've faced basically everywhere else. There's a much larger Jewish community there, it's a first-world country, and the nation as a whole will do drat near anything to protect it's Jewish citizens.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Arkane posted:

How many deadly terrorist acts committed by right wing white nationalists have taken place over the past 25 years? What are the casualties?

That's a good starting point because it lets us count the Gulf War, sanctions and the post-911 wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. Millions dead.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

DarkCrawler posted:

I don't really see acts like that very much in London.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Arkane posted:

How would you say it compares to the tens of thousands killed by Islamic terrorism that has touched every continent except Antarctica? Would you say that trying to equate the two on any level is something only an idiot would do?

In reality we're dealing with consistent and widespread Muslim violence in Africa, Europe, the Middle East, and across the south of Asia, extending into Australia.

You're equating them, so I guess you're an idiot?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Arkane posted:

so what's the threshold of death and injury where white nationalist terrorists commit isolated incidents that do not reflect badly on a group of people whereas muslim terrorists are indicative of a bloodthirsty cult? why do you treat one group differently than the other?

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

Israel was set up as a Jewish nation where Jewish people would be safe from the centuries of oppression and discrimination they've faced basically everywhere else. There's a much larger Jewish community there, it's a first-world country, and the nation as a whole will do drat near anything to protect it's Jewish citizens.

Personally, I feel safer in North America than in Israel. The US and Canada are both nations that are indisputably tenable in the long term, whereas Israel's future is very much up in the air.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Yeah personally I'd pick NY or SF over all of those options.

The problem for, say, Parisian Jews in a nutshell: if they're rightist they're terrified of the brown hordes. If they're left wing and anti-Israel they have few friends in the community and still hear about things like that video every so often, while the left downplays their experiences because Israel did a thing or writes some of it off as Islamophobia. Moderates are starting to pick sides.

Government reactions have been very good, but no amount of armed guards outside their synagogues are gonna make people feel happier.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Arkane posted:

1:30 minutes out of 10 hours of walking, and one of the comments is "viva palestine" which i guess is a bit of strange thing to just say cause you see a jew but it's not really anti-semitic either. If you walk around in west jerusalem or even 'liberal' tel-aviv with a kaffiyeh for ten hours you'd probably get a lot more than 1:30 minutes of edited footage out of it.

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

emanresu tnuocca posted:

1:30 minutes out of 10 hours of walking, and one of the comments is "viva palestine" which i guess is a bit of strange thing to just say cause you see a jew but it's not really anti-semitic either. If you walk around in west jerusalem or even 'liberal' tel-aviv with a kaffiyeh for ten hours you'd probably get a lot more than 1:30 minutes of edited footage out of it.

Holy poo poo look at those goalposts move. I think I heard a sonic boom.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
1:30 minutes of anti-semitic comments after 10 hours of walking prove that people in france are brazenly anti-semitic? I don't think that's a very potent argument. Sorry about your goal posts.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Adar posted:

The problem for, say, Parisian Jews in a nutshell: if they're rightist they're terrified of the brown hordes. If they're left wing and anti-Israel they have few friends in the community and still hear about things like that video every so often, while the left downplays their experiences because Israel did a thing or writes some of it off as Islamophobia. Moderates are starting to pick sides.

Yeah, antisemitism cannot exist because Israel did a thing, but we must not judge Muslims by a thing that other Muslims do, because racism.

quote:

Government reactions have been very good, but no amount of armed guards outside their synagogues are gonna make people feel happier.

Agreed.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

emanresu tnuocca posted:

He got spit on twice and cursed out a few more times in addition to all the doubletakes. Tel Aviv being that racist is pretty sad but let's not pretend that's how you'd wanna spend the next few decades of your life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
If you make a list of countries in the world by numbers of Jews living in it, France gets third position.

It's very important for Israel to attract as many Jews as possible, but Israel needs US support so it needs a strong Jewish vote in the USA so it cannot try to attract American Jews too much. So hyping the French antisemitism is a core part of the propaganda effort. With that video they demonstrated than by wandering around selected neighborhoods of Paris with a signe ostentatoire d'appartenance religieuse they could get insults and rudeness about 0.25% of the time.

• Locked thread