Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Mayor McCheese posted:

I haven't touched Cisco in 5 years since college, remember fragments / general flow, failed the CCNA when it comes to the logistical stuff (Boot strap process, IOS Filename breakdown, FCS length in a packet), and kind of need to get the gently caress out my current job.

I'm interested in the CBT Nuggets as that sounds up my alley. The $99/month offer is reasonable for me, but are the labs offered enough to pass the exam? Do I need to take supplemental material with it? Honestly I'm just aiming for CENT right now.

I'm not going to tell you to get CBT nuggets or just look somewhere, but Jeremy's videos are top notch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

OhDearGodNo posted:

I'm not going to tell you to get CBT nuggets or just look somewhere, but Jeremy's videos are top notch.

Thanks for the input, fellows.

I have the Wendell Odom's books from awhile back, but I honestly don't have the willpower to burn through them unless I absolutely need to again.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
Wheeee...I have a JNCIS-SP now.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I love Wendell O, and his books are very good at being "if it's in the book, it's on the test" and vice/versa, even if they aren't particularly interesting.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Immanentized posted:

Is this the place to post questions about the CISSP, or is there a dedicated thread for those?

I'm curious as to whether or not there's a difficulty gap between the Shon Harris brick and the actual exam. I'd also like to know if there's any sort of testing software floating around for purchase. I have a Total testers packet, but it's so riddled with errors and glitches it's nearly unusable.
Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

I bought the Shon Harris tome and then proceeded to not use it at all for studying. Welp.

The Shon Harris book is insanely detailed and the Eric Conrad study guide manages a nice balance between detail and readability and also manages to condense the 1400+pages to about 500-600. The two books I used were both by Eric Conrad. ( The study guide and the eleventh hour cram guide.)

freepracticetests.org is great (although the free version is limited.) $50 for 6 months subscription gets you a lot larger question pool and access to quizzes for several other tests as well. I started with 50 question closely related tests in each domain and built up some endurance to 250 question in all domains to simulate the real thing.

Also you sorta have a deadline of April 15th when the new test comes out. Not sure if any new study material is out yet since it was only announced a couple weeks ago.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Are the v6 VMware certs still going to require class time, or can anyone take them?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
On that note, are there VMware Certs (entry level) that don't require class time?

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Swink posted:

On that note, are there VMware Certs (entry level) that don't require class time?

It looks like associate level certs (VCA-Cloud, VCA-DCV etc) only have a recommended course but not hard requirement.

Dr. Kayak Paddle fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Feb 11, 2015

Pantology
Jan 16, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Swink posted:

You can get VCP-NV without a class if you're a current CCNA RS or DC, through January 31, 2016. Once you have that, you can take the other VCPs without a course requirement.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
Passed the 70-411 today and I'm trying to decide which test to take to finish up my server 2012 mcsa. I work for an msp that deals with small and medium businesses where a good chunk of the 70-412 stuff is above and beyond what we ever deal with, so I've been trying to decide between the hyper v and office 365 ones they're now letting you take as electives, since we set up hyper v and office 365 for pretty much any customer who will let us. I'm used to buying the book as primary study material which there doesn't seem to be for either of those tests, has anyone here taken either of these before? What are your thoughts on them and what did you use to study?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Traffic Reporter posted:

Passed the 70-411 today and I'm trying to decide which test to take to finish up my server 2012 mcsa. I work for an msp that deals with small and medium businesses where a good chunk of the 70-412 stuff is above and beyond what we ever deal with, so I've been trying to decide between the hyper v and office 365 ones they're now letting you take as electives, since we set up hyper v and office 365 for pretty much any customer who will let us. I'm used to buying the book as primary study material which there doesn't seem to be for either of those tests, has anyone here taken either of these before? What are your thoughts on them and what did you use to study?

I took the Hyper-V one back in June and it was fairly easy.

I used http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/ for all my studying needs on this one. I kinda did things backwards because I have my 74-410 scheduled in March.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

m.hache posted:

I took the Hyper-V one back in June and it was fairly easy.

I used http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/ for all my studying needs on this one. I kinda did things backwards because I have my 74-410 scheduled in March.

You didn't use any material other than that site? That doesn't look too bad at all. Were there any specific topics that were emphasized more than others?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

DirtyFalcon posted:

It looks like associate level certs (VCA-Cloud, VCA-DCV etc) only have a recommended course but not hard requirement.

The VCA certs are also a hilarious joke you should not waste time or money on. They're literally just regurgitating info from marketing and product spec sheets. "What VMware product provides <feature X>?" "What VMware feature provides the ability to move a running VM between hosts?" etc. I took the VCA-DCV when it first came out because it was free, and passed with a perfect score on no studying in half an hour. I don't even use VMware at my job.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Traffic Reporter posted:

You didn't use any material other than that site? That doesn't look too bad at all. Were there any specific topics that were emphasized more than others?

Proper clustering/topology recommendations seemed to be a good chunk of the exam.

I have my grading sheet right next to me.

Configuer Hyper-V: 35-40%
Configure and Manage Virtual Machine High Availiability: 15-20%
Implement a Server Virtualization Infrastructure: 35-40%
Monitor and Maintain a Server Virtualization Infrastructure: 15-20%

Obviously you get some cross over in the topics. I did also use this document (was a great follow up after the videos)

http://www.veeam.com/wp-study-guide-microsoft-certification-exam-74-409-server-virtualization-windows-server-hyper-v-system-center.html

Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

I like to move it move it!
70-688 this monday. I've failed it twice already (IVE NEVER FAILED A CERT BEFORE) Any tips? last minute study resources, etc etc.

I had the windows 7 equivalent and for some reason i cant really get the concept of this.. I just dont have enough hands on experience.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Anyone have a recommended ccna security book?

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit
What are the chances that someone with no work experience in IT could get certificates and find a decent entry level position from them? I'm less interested in the physical aspects of computers but have picked up some basic maintenance/repair skills just from being a nerd, and I am more interested in learning about the networking side of things.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
If you're in America, check your local community college. I did the equivalent of CCNA: the Associate's degree at mine and it was all around a pretty good experience - you get hands-on experience with actual equipment and most of these places have agreements with local employers for work study programs to help you get real world experience and training. At the end of it you have covered everything that is on the CCNA as well so you can go sit the exam if you like.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 15, 2015

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sheep posted:

If you're in America, check your local community college. I did the equivalent of CCNA: the Associate's degree at mine and it was all around a pretty good experience - you get hands-on experience with actual equipment and most of these places have agreements with local employers for work study programs to help you get real world experience and training. At the end of it you have covered everything that is on the CCNA as well so you can go sit the exam if you like.

Going back to school is honestly the last thing I want to do if I can avoid it. If I can teach myself and take the certs and it's still valuable I would so much rather go that route. It's complicated, not out of the question, but definitely a last resort.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

All Else Failed posted:

What are the chances that someone with no work experience in IT could get certificates and find a decent entry level position from them? I'm less interested in the physical aspects of computers but have picked up some basic maintenance/repair skills just from being a nerd, and I am more interested in learning about the networking side of things.

Your profile says Western New York, are you out near Buffalo or Elmira? I know there are a few CMS groups for small retail stores out that way, website hosting and management and server administration type stuff.

I did something similiar myself, didn't go to school just picked up the Tom Lammel CCNA book and went to town. Watched a ton of CBT nuggets, played around with some free sims and got my cert. Might be a bit different as im in RTP, North Carolina, but worst case scenario you can get an A+ and NET+ instead of jumping straight to CCNA and try some Geek Squad level stuff for 6 months for a resume builder

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit

Vadun posted:

Your profile says Western New York, are you out near Buffalo or Elmira? I know there are a few CMS groups for small retail stores out that way, website hosting and management and server administration type stuff.

I did something similiar myself, didn't go to school just picked up the Tom Lammel CCNA book and went to town. Watched a ton of CBT nuggets, played around with some free sims and got my cert. Might be a bit different as im in RTP, North Carolina, but worst case scenario you can get an A+ and NET+ instead of jumping straight to CCNA and try some Geek Squad level stuff for 6 months for a resume builder

The ruff tuff tundra of Buff :D Well, actually about 40 min. outside of it as I moved back home and have no real transportation which is part of the reason I'm looking to the internet to help me get out of this rut.

A friend on Facebook says I should just hop right into CCNA because the other ones are too easy, but I think I'd feel better not overestimating my innate knowledge and doing the NET+ if not both before the CCNA. It never hurts to have a firm grasp of the basics. I could be wrong though.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

All Else Failed posted:

Don't do it. Imagine being a janitor but with computers, and a never-ending stream of idiots who don't know how to use them. And all anyone will ever see you as is the janitor.

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit

Chickenwalker posted:

Don't do it. Imagine being a janitor but with computers, and a never-ending stream of idiots who don't know how to use them. And all anyone will ever see you as is the janitor.

Those idiots are why I imagine it to be an easy job compared to a lot of things. The solutions to simple problems are simple to someone who knows what they're doing. I have an incredible amount of patience when it comes to other people's genuine stupidity in a work setting. I have to figure out something or I'm going to rot away inside my parents' house.

Enrico Furby fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 15, 2015

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

All Else Failed posted:

Those idiots are why I imagine it to be an easy job compared to a lot of things. The solutions to simple problems are simple to someone who knows what they're doing. I have an incredible amount of patience when it comes to other people's genuine stupidity in a work setting. I have to figure out something or I'm going to rot away inside my parents' house.

you and me man

we're kindred spirits :smith:

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

All Else Failed posted:

Going back to school is honestly the last thing I want to do if I can avoid it. If I can teach myself and take the certs and it's still valuable I would so much rather go that route. It's complicated, not out of the question, but definitely a last resort.

I strongly recommend CBT Nuggets (if you have the cash to shell out) or http://www.cybrary.it/

EDIT: dammit.. did NOT mean to double post like that..

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 15, 2015

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit

Race Realists posted:

I strongly recommend CBT Nuggets (if you have the cash to shell out) or http://www.cybrary.it/

EDIT: dammit.. did NOT mean to double post like that..

Solidarity, my loser brethren. We shall prevail. Money is non-existent so the less it costs to learn, the better. I think pops will help a brother out with the certs themselves but I'd like to not drain the poor guy's wallet as much as possible. Thanks, bookmarked the site.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Work has asked me if I require any training (considering I still need to redo a SFDC exam) and I'm going to see what I can get out of them. I've been in this role for over a year now which I invented for them from circumstances of being a techie, I wasn't intending to make a career out of IT but it's looking like a prospect.

I've looked into doing the A+ as I knew the majority of the test questions, but I'm wondering if I should bother with the MTA and instead go straight to the MCSA 2012? Day to day I pretty much handle supporting the office and all sorts, deploying hardware/software, and doing a lot of server admin has me interested in doing proper Sys Admin work. The one thing I don't know is how long does it take to get these certs?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

It depends on how badly you want them. Microsoft test are the worst of the bunch in terms of taking. If you dedicated yourself you could get the MCSA in 6-8 months, but thats an ideal timeframe with the person ALREADY being familiar with core server concepts. You should not bother with the MTA unless you're looking at the database fundamentals cert. I've yet to see a database agnostic cert and you'll learn core SQL skills.

Don't get the A+ if you're already here in the field. Focus on net+ to get an understanding of networking.

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta

incoherent posted:

It depends on how badly you want them. Microsoft test are the worst of the bunch in terms of taking. If you dedicated yourself you could get the MCSA in 6-8 months, but thats an ideal timeframe with the person ALREADY being familiar with core server concepts. You should not bother with the MTA unless you're looking at the database fundamentals cert. I've yet to see a database agnostic cert and you'll learn core SQL skills.

Don't get the A+ if you're already here in the field. Focus on net+ to get an understanding of networking.

Can you elaborate more on why the MTA for database isn't a bad thing? I could probably knock that one out with a month or so of studying versus a year or more for the MCSA. I'm trying to move into a role that uses light SQL asap.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Do not look that course if you're looking into being a developer or a DBA. Its purely for the SysAdmin or generalist who needs a good, solid understanding of SQL and managing it in production. It provides the basics of how SQL works and how to interface with it but will not give you the toolset to be a moderate or advance user of databases.

I'd recommend a local community college course for that.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 15, 2015

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta
Thanks for the info.

I'm going down the data/business analyst path. I use DB2 at work but I'm focusing on SQL Server for my own projects and since I'm learning pretty much everything that's on the exam I thought I might as well take it and put it on the resume.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

incoherent posted:

It depends on how badly you want them. Microsoft test are the worst of the bunch in terms of taking. If you dedicated yourself you could get the MCSA in 6-8 months, but thats an ideal timeframe with the person ALREADY being familiar with core server concepts.

Thanks for the info. I'm aiming for MCSA 2012 but I'm kind of overwhelmed as it is far less by the numbers compared to S+ and I'm not even sure what I should be studying or how long I should be studying before taking an exam.

70-410 seems fairly straightforward as it's just installation and config, but what do I know?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Mouse Cadet posted:

Thanks for the info.

I'm going down the data/business analyst path. I use DB2 at work but I'm focusing on SQL Server for my own projects and since I'm learning pretty much everything that's on the exam I thought I might as well take it and put it on the resume.

If you can smash it and put it away, by all means get it. Although if you're serious the MCSA for SQL will be what you want to target. MTA is "I won't blow up your production server" and "I can identify it's the DBA fault" whereas the MCSA for SQL will take you all the way up to database warehousing.

skooma512 posted:

Thanks for the info. I'm aiming for MCSA 2012 but I'm kind of overwhelmed as it is far less by the numbers compared to S+ and I'm not even sure what I should be studying or how long I should be studying before taking an exam.

70-410 seems fairly straightforward as it's just installation and config, but what do I know?

Microsoft tests will gently caress you. I know where you're coming from with being overwhelmed: window server is a lot of poo poo, and its a lot of poo poo nobody uses in real life. Nobody uses NLB, they use real load balancers. Nobody deploys the free version of sharepoint willingly. Hyper-v is a bitch to manage, because all of the useful features to manage it are locked behind SCCM.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

All Else Failed posted:

The ruff tuff tundra of Buff :D Well, actually about 40 min. outside of it as I moved back home and have no real transportation which is part of the reason I'm looking to the internet to help me get out of this rut.

A friend on Facebook says I should just hop right into CCNA because the other ones are too easy, but I think I'd feel better not overestimating my innate knowledge and doing the NET+ if not both before the CCNA. It never hurts to have a firm grasp of the basics. I could be wrong though.

Do the Net+ first. Cisco exams are the only ones I've ever failed in my life, they're renowned for being tough.
Start your CCNA by doing the CCENT, then do the second exam. The combined exam is harder.

Net+ will teach you the basics like OSI model, how ethernet and whatever actually works, what switching vs routing is, etc (although back when I did it it was still talking about coax in 2007 so I don't know if its any more up to date). Its a good foundation to go take into the CCENT. Also be prepared to get a little lab kit, or GNS3 running.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

incoherent posted:

Nobody uses NLB

Well excuse me

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ahdinko posted:

Do the Net+ first. Cisco exams are the only ones I've ever failed in my life, they're renowned for being tough.
Start your CCNA by doing the CCENT, then do the second exam. The combined exam is harder.

Net+ will teach you the basics like OSI model, how ethernet and whatever actually works, what switching vs routing is, etc (although back when I did it it was still talking about coax in 2007 so I don't know if its any more up to date). Its a good foundation to go take into the CCENT. Also be prepared to get a little lab kit, or GNS3 running.

That's what I was thinking, thanks. Although I was thinking of just doing the A+ then the Net+ because it probably couldn't hurt, but I don't know if it's worth it or not. I really don't know much about what I'm getting into.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

All Else Failed posted:

That's what I was thinking, thanks. Although I was thinking of just doing the A+ then the Net+ because it probably couldn't hurt, but I don't know if it's worth it or not. I really don't know much about what I'm getting into.

I'd skip it. No one is going to look at your resume, see net+ and then ask why you don't have an A+. The A+ requires an incredible breadth (no depth)of knowledge of poo poo that most people don't know off the top of their heads, and mostly useless minutiae. The only reason I have one is it was required for WGU.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

incoherent posted:

Microsoft tests will gently caress you. I know where you're coming from with being overwhelmed: window server is a lot of poo poo, and its a lot of poo poo nobody uses in real life. Nobody uses NLB, they use real load balancers. Nobody deploys the free version of sharepoint willingly. Hyper-v is a bitch to manage, because all of the useful features to manage it are locked behind SCCM.

Any more tips? I fixed up a Dell Precision from work and have server 2012 on it. I have Mastering Server 2012 by Minasi and the MS Press books for 70-410.

Anybody here take 70-410 already? How long should I study for before taking it? I'd like to pass at least that so I can show that I'm putting my money where my mouth is and that I'm serious about going the sysadmin route.

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit

PneumonicBook posted:

I'd skip it. No one is going to look at your resume, see net+ and then ask why you don't have an A+. The A+ requires an incredible breadth (no depth)of knowledge of poo poo that most people don't know off the top of their heads, and mostly useless minutiae. The only reason I have one is it was required for WGU.

Ok, great. Trying not to put all my eggs in one basket on your guys' replies but my general feel is being confirmed by you all thus far so I feel pretty compelled to believe ya. Thanks so much everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

skooma512 posted:

Any more tips? I fixed up a Dell Precision from work and have server 2012 on it. I have Mastering Server 2012 by Minasi and the MS Press books for 70-410.

Anybody here take 70-410 already? How long should I study for before taking it? I'd like to pass at least that so I can show that I'm putting my money where my mouth is and that I'm serious about going the sysadmin route.

I've also cross referenced from the cert guide of books to good effect

http://www.amazon.com/MCSA-70-410-Cert-Guide-Configuring/dp/0789748800

But setting up that home/test lab is the first step. Be mindful of the page "Training Guide: Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012 R2 and Exam 70-410". It states one of the aspects of the test isn't even in the book.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 17, 2015