Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Is the geo metro some sort of opel or USA GM piece of poo poo like the later holden barinas, or was it one of the good ones based on a suzuki cultus/swift? I kind of liked the old g13 suzuki ones. My grandfather had one and passed it on to my dad who used it for cheap transport until he dumped it. I have a soft spot for them as my grandfather drove it all around WA, including chucking it around dirt tracks up in the northern mining regions on some sort of "see the country before I die" mission.
He was pretty awesome for a yorkshire man. Dunkirk and burma in ww2, drove across the nullabor (in a renault) before there was a road (and drove back because he thought sydney was poo poo), then did this awesome twilight road trip in a loving holden barina where younger men would cry if they didn't have a 4x4 landcruiser or patrol.
e: can't forget my grandmother, she would go along with his poo poo and just laugh when things went bad.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Absolutely shocked that he doesn't carry his cell phone around on a belt clip. He seems like the cell phone on a belt clip type of guy.

Pfft, I bet you scoff at the Leatherman holster.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Fo3 posted:

Is the geo metro some sort of opel or USA GM piece of poo poo like the later holden barinas, or was it one of the good ones based on a suzuki cultus/swift? I kind of liked the old g13 suzuki ones.

It's a G13 Cultus. They were also sold in Canada as the Pontiac Firefly.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Why do people hate it in the US then? Was it too soon for an economy car, ie gas wasn't expensive enough when it first came out?
The suzuki was better than any other car in it's size/class when released. It was before the cheap Korean cars were taken seriously and we, (aust) didn't have the euro small cars and probably the US didn't either.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 16, 2015

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Fo3 posted:

Why do people hate it in the US then? Was it too soon for an economy car, ie gas wasn't expensive enough when it first came out?
The suzuki was better than any other car in it's class when released.

It's a lovely little jelly bean of a car that came with manual everything and few amenities. Fuel economy is great, but that alone wont sell a car.

Are you really surprised it wasn't a popular car?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Fo3 posted:

The suzuki was better than any other car in it's size/class when released. It was before the cheap Korean cars were taken seriously and we, (aust) didn't have the euro small cars and probably the US didn't either.

Little of column A, little of column B. Yeah, it was spartan as gently caress which didn't help but it was also the 90's and everyone was buying huge huge huge.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

ExplodingSims posted:

It's a lovely little jelly bean of a car that came with manual everything and few amenities. Fuel economy is great, but that alone wont sell a car.

Are you really surprised it wasn't a popular car?
Cheap manual cars with good economy sell well elsewhere, but yes, you answered my question from a US perspective as far as it not selling well, petrol was too cheap there. But I was asking more along the lines of why it was reviled and hated for what it was.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Cars are status symbols too remember - small and cheap doesn't exactly send the right type of message.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Fo3 posted:

Cheap manual cars with good economy sell well elsewhere, but yes, you answered my question from a US perspective as far as it not selling well, petrol was too cheap there. But I was asking more along the lines of why it was reviled and hated for what it was.

Not when REAL MEN drive REAL CARS with REAL ENGINES.

The US has the shittiest car market to a lot of people, although our massive highway structure and necessity for highway ready cars even for commuters has made the market what it is today.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

dissss posted:

Cars are status symbols too remember - small and cheap doesn't exactly send the right type of message.
Yeah. When these things were around, me and friends were driving to school/college/university, or doing pizza delivery jobs. All of which suited these cars so some of them had them.
Of course I had my RX3 and got all the chicks. I couldn't get any guys interested, but that's probably because it was a 4 door.
Some guy at school had a galant. He was a dork though, self levelling/active suspension and other electrical things!? My RX3 was poverty pack manual everything.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 16, 2015

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
This pulled up at one of my favorite breakfast places in town. Did not think that I'd see one in town and it had local plates.

I know some people might argue this is the wrong thread but in person it really does look idiotic. I watched them pull out and it just didn't look really stable pulling out of a dirt lot and the bumps trying to get onto the street.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Tindjin posted:

This pulled up at one of my favorite breakfast places in town. Did not think that I'd see one in town and it had local plates.

I know some people might argue this is the wrong thread but in person it really does look idiotic. I watched them pull out and it just didn't look really stable pulling out of a dirt lot and the bumps trying to get onto the street.

What is that?

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
The new Polaris Slingshot

http://www.polaris.com/en-us/slingshot?gclid=CPDY_emk58MCFRRgfgodbQ8AsA

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Only 3 wheels :stonk:

Edit: and whats with that drivetrain? A short driveshaft going part of the way back to a belt drive that covers the rest of the distance to that single rear wheel.

brand engager fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 16, 2015

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
How does a trike "not look stable"? What does that even mean?

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Definitely wrong thread. That thing's gorgeous.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
That is the dumbest looking thing

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road

Baller Witness Bro posted:

How does a trike "not look stable"? What does that even mean?

So I was behind it when it was pulling from the parking lot up onto the street. There was a few small divots in the dirt that led up to about a 2ish lip onto the street. They took it at a slight angle and I saw the leading front wheel actually come up off the ground when the other front wheel bumped up to the lip. The whole thing did a bit of a lean over to the back side. Dunno I've ridden one of the Can-Am Spyders and never got that kind of a feeling that I saw happen with what I saw with the slingshot.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

PCOS Bill posted:

That is the dumbest looking thing

Yeah, that's loving hideous.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Tindjin posted:

I passed one on the interstate yesterday and it was getting pushed by the wind more than I was on a bike.

That said, it was being driven by two women in their sixties wearing fur hats.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Definitely right thread. All the drawbacks of a car and a bike with the benefits of neither; the eternal curse of all trikes.

Looking like an angry amusement park ride doesn't help either. It looks like one of those giant spinning teacup things with a comical angry robot face grafted onto the front.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Those things are even more absurd once you look up how much they want you to pay to own one.

Spoiler: You can get a normal car for less. One that has a roof.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

If I could get one for about the same price as a NA Miata, though, I'd probably pull the trigger.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I still have my deposit open on a Polaris Slingshot. I drove one once the first deliveries came in, and it's a stupid amount of fun.

They are only $21,000-24,000 after delivery/set up fees. A bargain for a weekend toy.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

xzzy posted:

Those things are even more absurd once you look up how much they want you to pay to own one.

Spoiler: You can get a normal car for less. One that has a roof.

They aren't meant to be used as a daily driver. They are a toy. Automotive toys are generally not inexpensive.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

eyebeem posted:

I still have my deposit open on a Polaris Slingshot. I drove one once the first deliveries came in, and it's a stupid amount of fun.

They are only $21,000-24,000 after delivery/set up fees. A bargain for a weekend toy.

"only" 20 thousand. Sounds like your idea of how much is a little money is skewed a bit upwards.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

eyebeem posted:

My daily driver cost less than your stroller.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

SperginMcBadposter posted:

"only" 20 thousand. Sounds like your idea of how much is a little money is skewed a bit upwards.

I mean, i'm just sayin'... :v:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I would daily drive an Ariel Atom here in PA if I had the money for one. I can't say I'd ever even want to ride in a Slingshot

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Reviews I read were pretty lackluster. Combine that with a ~5 second 0-60 and I can see how it'd be underwhelming. You don't buy one of these for performance though. $20k is a lot of money just so people finally start looking in your direction.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

There's also this little issue:

quote:

In a letter sent to dealers (and possibly some owners), Polaris is asking everyone to stop selling and/or driving the Slingshot immediately because of a potential issue with the steering bearings which, "should they fail, will result in unexpected loss of steering control."

http://jalopnik.com/polaris-stops-slingshot-sales-to-fix-steering-and-roll-1680065216

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

eyebeem posted:

I've never spent more than $2,000 on a vehicle :shrug:

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

CommieGIR posted:

I've never spent more than $2,000 on a vehicle :shrug:

The market for the Polaris Slingshot is not people that have never spent more than $2,000 on a vehicle.

Some of you... jesus christ. There are products out there that are for people that aren't you. The closest competition the Polaris Slingshot has is the Morgan 3 Wheeler or T Rex. Both cost 2-4x as much, the Morgan is WAY more stylish, and I believe performance is about the same. It's a rough 3 wheeled toy that isn't going to blow the pants off of more sporty cars, but it's probably going to more fun than most of them, and anything else that costs 20 grand new.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

eyebeem posted:

The market for the Polaris Slingshot is not people that have never spent more than $2,000 on a vehicle.

Some of you... jesus christ. There are products out there that are for people that aren't you. The closest competition the Polaris Slingshot has is the Morgan 3 Wheeler or T Rex. Both cost 2-4x as much, the Morgan is WAY more stylish, and I believe performance is about the same. It's a rough 3 wheeled toy that isn't going to blow the pants off of more sporty cars, but it's probably going to more fun than most of them, and anything else that costs 20 grand new.

ASK ME ABOUT COVERING UP MY INSECURITIES WITH A RIDICULOUS TRICYCLE

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I just don't see why you'd buy a glorified trike for $20k when you could just get a cheap Miata / S2000, dump a bit more money into it for wheels / tires / exhaust / suspension / motor / etc., and have way more fun with the added benefit of being able to drive it on days when it's raining, all for way less money.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

T1g4h posted:

I just don't see why you'd buy a glorified trike for $20k when you could just get a cheap Miata / S2000, dump a bit more money into it for wheels / tires / exhaust / suspension / motor / etc., and have way more fun with the added benefit of being able to drive it on days when it's raining, all for way less money.
I dunno maybe he won't have as much hypothetical fun as you would on your hypothetical purchase. Maybe.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Cage posted:

I dunno maybe he won't have as much hypothetical fun as you would on your hypothetical purchase. Maybe.

poo poo, I wouldn't be able to have much fun in a Miata either because my tall rear end won't fit properly in one. I've tried, doesn't work :v:

The Slingshot just seems to me like one of those solutions searching for a problem. It's not particularly good looking, it's not really practical, and everything it's designed to do, you could do with something much cheaper that you could use any other day of the week. I admit i'm not the target market, I just don't really get who the target market is :shrug:

eyebeem posted:

It's not a glorified trike. It's a trike.

Why do you think a modified Miata or s2000 would be more fun? What are you basing that on? It's faster? It's more insulated from the elements? It handles better? None of those things make a a car more or less fun. I couldn't care less about driving it in the rain because, again, it's a weekend car. It's for going out for a couple of hours of stupid fun. It's for entertaining the kids on a trip to the grocery store after they fight over who gets to go. It's bonkers. It's fun.

A big part of the fun is how open the thing is. How close you are to the ground. How rough around the edges the thing is. That's the charm. If I wanted a modified Japanese roadster, that's what I'd be buying, but it's not what I want. Not everyone has the same qualifications as everyone else.

Fair enough then. I just feel like for the money it costs, I'd rather sink that money into a weekend toy that I can also use the rest of the week if I want. Different strokes and all I guess.

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 17, 2015

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

T1g4h posted:

It's not a glorified trike. It's a trike.

Why do you think a modified Miata or s2000 would be more fun? What are you basing that on? It's faster? It's more insulated from the elements? It handles better? None of those things make a a car more or less fun. I couldn't care less about driving it in the rain because, again, it's a weekend car. It's for going out for a couple of hours of stupid fun. It's for entertaining the kids on a trip to the grocery store after they fight over who gets to go. It's bonkers. It's fun.

A big part of the fun is how open the thing is. How close you are to the ground. How rough around the edges the thing is. That's the charm. If I wanted a modified Japanese roadster, that's what I'd be buying, but it's not what I want. Not everyone has the same qualifications as everyone else.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

eyebeem posted:

$20k will buy you a >200whp Panigale... or you could have $6k left over after you buy a ZX10R that needs a flash and full exhaust to make 200whp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

BlackMK4 posted:

$20k will buy you a >200whp Panigale... or you could have $6k left over after you buy a ZX10R that needs a flash and full exhaust to make 200whp.

But that's not flashy enough for lay people to know he has money to waste.