Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

is this a buggy portal rip-off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Nintendo Kid posted:

oh no google will become a powerful and wealthy company that makes tons of money :qq:

this is fine i'm just sick of all the dick sucking they've been getting for pushing garbage

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

hololens

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Necc0 posted:

this is fine i'm just sick of all the dick sucking they've been getting for pushing garbage

uh people haven't stopped doing that for apple and it's been nearly 40 years.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

that was hardly a critical article

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW

Nintendo Kid posted:

uh people haven't stopped doing that for apple and it's been nearly 40 years.

i like you kid.

Necc0 posted:

name one garbage

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'd argue that no single product apple has ever released, including stuff like ipod socks did anywhere near as much damage as google glass

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

oh no google will become a powerful and wealthy company that makes tons of money :qq:

actually that very thought scares google to death which is why fuzzy mammal just ignores questions about whether googlers actually think they're working for an innovative tech company. some of them may be still deluded, but at least externally ppl are starting to become cognizant of the fact that they are the new microsoft. google x pr labs was designed to combat this very perception from taking hold to retain employees and still be an attractive place to work in the eyes of silicon valley cause they've bled lots of A-players to facebook and others for years (which is itself a microsoft tactic). "googley culture" is just generic internet startup culture because thats what google the company is. its a bunch of disparate groups operating separately with no real vision. here's the latest evidence of that

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/15/8039801/google-helpouts-shutdown-april-20

i literally lol every time i read about google shutting some project down. they throw things at the wall to see if it sticks but they have too much institutional ADD to see anything through. i bet the people that worked on this thing moved on to other things in google within a few months of it launching or left the company for some random startup. google has no real culture or organizational values (other than cargo cult dot com startup culture) and i lol at the idea that somehow google is going to execute successfully on something like driverless cars. everyone that starts a project wont even be with the company in 5 years http://techcrunch.com/2014/09/23/google-x-founder-sebastian-thrun-has-left-his-role-as-google-vp-and-fellow/

LOL. hmm yea we could do an uber copy or maybe license the tech to other car companies idk

the company is so much like microsoft its uncanny, except for the part where microsoft dominated their space for 30 years before they got completely eclipsed by mobile. google's core business on the other hand is showing cracks as other companies have sprung up and started taking those ad dollars.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

cremnob posted:

actually that very thought scares google to death which is why fuzzy mammal just ignores questions about whether googlers actually think they're working for an innovative tech company. some of them may be still deluded, but at least externally ppl are starting to become cognizant of the fact that they are the new microsoft. google x pr labs was designed to combat this very perception from taking hold to retain employees and still be an attractive place to work in the eyes of silicon valley cause they've bled lots of A-players to facebook and others for years (which is itself a microsoft tactic). "googley culture" is just generic internet startup culture because thats what google the company is. its a bunch of disparate groups operating separately with no real vision. here's the latest evidence of that

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/15/8039801/google-helpouts-shutdown-april-20

i literally lol every time i read about google shutting some project down. they throw things at the wall to see if it sticks but they have too much institutional ADD to see anything through. i bet the people that worked on this thing moved on to other things in google within a few months of it launching or left the company for some random startup. google has no real culture or organizational values (other than cargo cult dot com startup culture) and i lol at the idea that somehow google is going to execute successfully on something like driverless cars. everyone that starts a project wont even be with the company in 5 years http://techcrunch.com/2014/09/23/google-x-founder-sebastian-thrun-has-left-his-role-as-google-vp-and-fellow/

LOL. hmm yea we could do an uber copy or maybe license the tech to other car companies idk

the company is so much like microsoft its uncanny, except for the part where microsoft dominated their space for 30 years before they got completely eclipsed by mobile. google's core business on the other hand is showing cracks as other companies have sprung up and started taking those ad dollars.

hi

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

:allears:
cremnob on google security

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

theflyingexecutive posted:

that was hardly a critical article

cremnob reads anything about google at all as a scathing attack.

qirex posted:

I'd argue that no single product apple has ever released, including stuff like ipod socks did anywhere near as much damage as google glass

sure, but only because performa quadra centris etc constituted like 50 barely differentiated and confusingly segmented devices.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

he presses a lot of keys

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

cremnob posted:

the company is so much like microsoft its uncanny, except for the part where microsoft dominated their space for 30 years before they got completely eclipsed by mobile

this didnt happen hth

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

cremnob posted:

no one is taking google's core business. search advertising is a license to print money, now and forever, even on mobile. because search ads are actually useful.

if bing were taking huge strides on search market share, sure, then we could start talking about google being doomed. but that's not happening.

p.s. microsoft revenues are still over 80 billion dollars. they missed out on market opportunities, squandered tens of billions, bought and sold stupid poo poo, and they're still the biggest software company in the world.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

google's core business is suffering cause of the proliferation of smartphones and tablets, even moreso when the demographic u want is using iphones and ipads

their core business is gonna get eclipsed by companies like facebook, twitter, pinterest and other apps that actually get significant attention/time of users. the real money is from brand advertising and google only has youtube to try and get a piece of that. ad $ isnt a winner take all business, and lots of companies are gonna get a piece of it.

http://stratechery.com/2014/peak-google/

and google is losing market share http://venturebeat.com/2015/02/02/time-to-panic-yet-yahoo-took-more-u-s-search-share-from-google-in-january/

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
google's display ad business has been declining for several years. that's not news. display ads are poo poo. virtually the entire industry is garbage. google adsense, garbage. google doubleclick, garbage. facebook, garbage. twitter, garbage. pinterest.... i'm keeping my eye on pinterest. that one might be very different.

google's search is the core business. everything else is either a money loser or a distraction or both. and search isn't declining. google will be printing the billions for many years to come, on search alone.

liquidate the rest of the firm, ask larry and sergei to stop meddling in the business etc etc

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Wootman posted:

name one garbage

http://time.com/574/google-vs-death/

:jerkbag:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

glass was a drop of water in the ocean relative to googles resources and markets, but it did expose them as a company whose highest-level executives have no loving idea what they are doing or what their zillion dollar r and d spend is supposed to be accomplishing

that nyt piece on the glass disaster was just amazing. everyone knew it was barely a lab prototype that needed about five years before it became even remotely usable except sergey brin who saw it as the next big thing right now and welp

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

cremnob posted:

google's core business is suffering cause of the proliferation of smartphones and tablets

no it is not. it grew 20% last year

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

google's overall revenue growth is slowing and ad margins have been declining for like 13 quarters straight, thats the core business

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the google "re<c" clean energy skunkworks project slipped under the waves without anyone noticing

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FMguru posted:

glass was a drop of water in the ocean relative to googles resources and markets, but it did expose them as a company whose highest-level executives have no loving idea what they are doing or what their zillion dollar r and d spend is supposed to be accomplishing

that nyt piece on the glass disaster was just amazing. everyone knew it was barely a lab prototype that needed about five years before it became even remotely usable except sergey brin who saw it as the next big thing right now and welp

to be fair google glass was literally impossible to result in a useful popular product absent severe improvements in battery tech. release it in 2012 or release it in 2032, its still gonna be a piece of poo poo for hypernerds.

you might as well try to develop and market a stylish pocket protector

cremnob posted:

google's overall revenue growth is slowing and ad margins have been declining for like 13 quarters straight, thats the core business

yes companies that dominate their market can't grow nearly as fast any more.

since you're in love with apple, you've never been exposed to a company that's managed that. :smugdog:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

cremnob posted:

display ad margins have been in continuous decline since the very first banner ad showed up on ziff davis. google has made a business out of display ads by growing inventory faster than margins declined.

unfortunately (for them) they've run into a wall. every web page that isn't facebook or twitter is already as carpeted with adsense and doubleclick garbage as possible. there's just no way to grow the business, and now shrinking margins are making themselves felt.

solution: spin off the display ad business. and gmail. and all the other poo poo.

google search and search advertising are a profitable and growing business. adsense and doubleclick are legacy businesses with slowly declining revenues. why the gently caress are these tied together in a single firm? what's the point?

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Cost-Per-Click - Average cost-per-click, which includes clicks related to ads served on Google sites and the sites of our Network members, decreased approximately 3% over the fourth quarter of 2013 and decreased approximately 3% over the third quarter of 2014. Cost-per-click for Google sites decreased approximately 8% over the fourth quarter of 2013 and decreased approximately 8% over the third quarter of 2014. Network cost-per-click increased approximately 6% over the fourth quarter of 2013 and increased approximately 10% over the third quarter of 2014.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

rest in piss

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW

To continue reading: or Sign In

i dont have a time subscription lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
yep cpc is falling

in other news, water is wet.
the sun is forecast to rise in the morning.
cremnob is still a raving loon -- film at eleven

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

yea in their core business lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
display ads are poo poo
they have always been poo poo
they always will be poo poo

google is a search firm with a bunch of parasitic fuckup businesses glued to the side

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

cremnob posted:

actually that very thought scares google to death which is why fuzzy mammal just ignores questions about whether googlers actually think they're working for an innovative tech company.
lol what does this have to do with anything? there are no innovative companies. tech start ups are so far in to circlejerk territory it's breathtaking. who are you arguing are innovative by comparison? facebook? apple?

i worked on talk, i work now on hangouts. it's just a service. we don't have a ball pit. we cancel projects if they aren't accomplishing what the company needs from them and despite what you think it's no big deal. you're trying to construct some narrative like google has lost its mojo or something but you're just flailing around.

e: also the reason i don't usually carepost in response to your idiot statements is fishmech usually does a good job of it and really, you can only turn a crank one way.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

google sites is their search business along with everything else they operate, hope this helps

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

lol what does this have to do with anything? there are no innovative companies. tech start ups are so far in to circlejerk territory it's breathtaking. who are you arguing are innovative by comparison? facebook? apple?

i worked on talk, i work now on hangouts. it's just a service. we don't have a ball pit. we cancel projects if they aren't accomplishing what the company needs from them and despite what you think it's no big deal. you're trying to construct some narrative like google has lost its mojo or something but you're just flailing around.

e: also the reason i don't usually carepost in response to your idiot statements is fishmech usually does a good job of it and really, you can only turn a crank one way.

he's brain damaged enough to sincerely believe apple, rotting corpse, is an innovative company

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

cremnob posted:

google sites is their search business along with everything else they operate, hope this helps

google's own earnings reports break out search from the display ad businesses, because display ads decline every year and search doesn't

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
btw i really do think pinterest is gonna break from the pack on advertising. they've very nearly found a way to make display ads into intent-harvesting devices, because like 90% of pinterest traffic is people "pinning" consumer goods.

at some point they're gonna figure out how to get referral marketing or demographic targeting or something to work there. it won't be stupid like facebook. you'll get ads for mercedes when you pin a bmw, not while you're idly chatting with your aunt sally

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

cremnob you should seek professional help

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

it would be funny to know if the average google employee realizes they work for the new microsoft or not. the narrative is already slowly filtering through the press and will eventually become conventional wisdom. google x staved it off for a few years but its now taking hold

do u actually think google is in its prime right now? that the best is yet to come?? i think u know its google that is flailing around.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

google's own earnings reports break out search from the display ad businesses, because display ads decline every year and search doesn't

google reports sites and network. sites is what they operate, network is everyone else

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW
android is doing well, search is doing well, google is doing well in general. you are dumb.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

btw i really do think pinterest is gonna break from the pack on advertising. they've very nearly found a way to make display ads into intent-harvesting devices, because like 90% of pinterest traffic is people "pinning" consumer goods.

at some point they're gonna figure out how to get referral marketing or demographic targeting or something to work there. it won't be stupid like facebook. you'll get ads for mercedes when you pin a bmw, not while you're idly chatting with your aunt sally

they're "developing a buy button" that's getting rolled out in the next 6 months

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Wootman posted:

android is doing well, search is doing well, google is doing well in general. you are dumb.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
NARRATIVE SHIFT

• Locked thread