Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

al-azad posted:

The hilarious thing is that Moguri is literally MOOGLE, the official 100% Square-Enix approved spelling of that character.

They didn't call Chocobo "Chokobo" but they called a MOOGLE "moguri".

"The translators meant for Aeris to be Aerith it says so right here in the FF bible. Moogle? What's that? Clearly it's Moguri."

e: Translator note: change moguri to Mowgli it's a reference to Jungle Book.

Actually FWIW there are a fair number of Japanese games where they romanize it as "Moglie" either in-game or in accompanying materials. I remember seeing that spelling a lot during the PS1 era.

But yeah Moguri is just dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Other languages also use the Japanese name for them, the German localizations use "Mogry" for example which is effectively the same pronunciation.

That said, Moogle is the name that's been used in English forever, there's no good reason to change it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So after about an hour of real game time, I finally got two dark grapes. It turns out one spanws in Villa Lake in Tephra Cave once every three or four blue item resets.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
While we're on translation topics, I've always wondered if in FFXII licenses to unlock new skills was a poor translation. Anyone know?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Reason posted:

While we're on translation topics, I've always wondered if in FFXII licenses to unlock new skills was a poor translation. Anyone know?

Nope. It's just a weird flavor thing.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
Ok so I like JRPGS as a general rule and I loved the likes of FFVII and FFVIII when they came out but I find if I try and go back play those PS1 games the way they've aged really hampers my enjoyment. The question is having never played Chrono Cross bit still loving Chrono Trigger is it worth me playing it or has it aged quite badly?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's probably the best looking PS1 game and I don't think the the gameplay has aged much but it's still definitely an old game.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

It depends on what exactly is no longer to your liking in FFVII or FFVIII. Graphics? Gameplay? Story and setting?

Chrono Cross is not a game for everyone and if something about Late 90s era JRPGs is inherently unpleasant to you then you probably won't like Chrono Cross much.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The only bad thing about Cross' gameplay is how unbearably slow your characters are when they "run". It otherwise should've aged just fine.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

StoneOfShame posted:

Ok so I like JRPGS as a general rule and I loved the likes of FFVII and FFVIII when they came out but I find if I try and go back play those PS1 games the way they've aged really hampers my enjoyment. The question is having never played Chrono Cross bit still loving Chrono Trigger is it worth me playing it or has it aged quite badly?
You may not like what they did with the cast of Chrono Trigger, though that doesn't really come up until the last quarter of the game iirc. It also has so many party members they decided to make them all almost interchangeable to make it easier (so you shouldn't stress out about getting all of them).

However, Chrono Cross's soundtrack is amazing, and it's in the running for the most beautiful PS1 era games. I think it still holds up.

If you're still on the fence, give it a try and see if the battle system grabs you. It isn't a lot like Chrono Trigger so you'll have to see for yourself.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
Ok that sounds like its worth a try at least anyway. I think what it is that gets me with some older JRPGs are when there are bits with loads of encounters that are all the same and gets tedious (I'm looking at you Dreamcast version of Skies of Arcadia).

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

The only bad thing about Cross' gameplay is how unbearably slow your characters are when they "run". It otherwise should've aged just fine.

It's not half as bad as the running in Parasite Eve so it's fine in my book.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Genpei Turtle posted:

Actually FWIW there are a fair number of Japanese games where they romanize it as "Moglie" either in-game or in accompanying materials. I remember seeing that spelling a lot during the PS1 era.

But yeah Moguri is just dumb.

So's "Aerith". I can't read that name without picturing either Sylvester the Cat or a Robert Asprin book.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

NikkolasKing posted:

It depends on what exactly is no longer to your liking in FFVII or FFVIII. Graphics? Gameplay? Story and setting?

Chrono Cross is not a game for everyone and if something about Late 90s era JRPGs is inherently unpleasant to you then you probably won't like Chrono Cross much.

Chrono Cross is just a down right bad game. Nonsensical leveling system, nonsense story, obvious shoe horned into the Chrono storyline to sell units, pointless fetch quests.

Absolutely fantastic music though.

Oh and if you're colorblind it is completely unplayable.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

edit: How the gently caress is this thing almost 3GB.

They probably did it like me and all their map assets are huge, singular images with transparencies instead of layered tiles. I had the excuse of literally having no idea what I was doing, but from everything I've heard about Pier Solar, that's kind of a generally persistent state of being for them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Codiekitty posted:

So's "Aerith". I can't read that name without picturing either Sylvester the Cat or a Robert Asprin book.

It's pronounced like "Earth." That's the entire joke. It's literally the English word Earth turned into a Japanese name.

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so

StoneOfShame posted:

don't play chrono cross for want of chrono trigger. it won't deliver. play it for a unique battle system, amazing music, and an, uh, "avant-garde" plot. unless you're color blind. then don't play it.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

HGH posted:

Even the most basic writing courses teach this sorta stuff.
Nah

All that stuff comes from experience. Turns out localizers are treated kind of badly and paid dirt. It is like the game industry in a lot of ways. Same with voice actors although that one is a bit trickier.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 16, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

It's pronounced like "Earth." That's the entire joke. It's literally the English word Earth turned into a Japanese name.

It would have really capped off the whole fan translation if they changed Aerith/Aeris to Earth.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

The White Dragon posted:

They probably did it like me and all their map assets are huge, singular images with transparencies instead of layered tiles. I had the excuse of literally having no idea what I was doing, but from everything I've heard about Pier Solar, that's kind of a generally persistent state of being for them.

I don't even know why the original game took up 64 megabits (which the game constantly brags about being), because the game world is tiny and there's like twenty common enemies in the whole game. The game world's tiny even compared to 7th Saga, and that game was only 12 megabits.

There's creating a huge game, and then there's inefficiency and resource bloat.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The extra space on the cartridge is probably for music.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Is Crusader Kings II vanilla worth 10 bucks or is it like EU4 and really starts to shine with $50 bucks of DLC added on?

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Codiekitty posted:

What, did they change Aerith to something else for the English version? I never played that.

ed: ah missed the follow-up post with "Aeris" in it. Yeah I can see how they might have messed up that romanization, but as mentioned it kind of misses the point for where the name came from.

Genpei Turtle fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 16, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Genpei Turtle posted:

What, did they change Aerith to something else for the English version? I never played that.

The original translation is Aeris. They swapped it back to Aerith when Kingdom Hearts came out and have used that every since.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Is Jade Cocoon 2 as dull and monotone as the first one?

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Is Crusader Kings II vanilla worth 10 bucks or is it like EU4 and really starts to shine with $50 bucks of DLC added on?

http://www.crusaderkings.com/news/2015/2/crusader-kings-ii-turns-three-outliving-hundreds-of-inconvenient-nephews

In reality, a few expansion packs would be nice. They are not required but they flesh out the game quite a bit. They regularly go 75% off on sale. You don't have to get every single one.

Sword of Islam, Old Gods, Sons of Abraham and Legacy of Rome are pretty good I feel. So is Charlemagne but that one was a bit buggy. I would get at least Old Gods, you can get the rest as time goes on as the game goes on sale often. Everything else is good only if you are interested in that particular government/area. There is the latest expansion pack, Way of Life, but that one just released so will probably stay at full price for a while. It's supposed to make the game even more of an RPG, but I haven't tried it myself.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Chrono Cross is just a down right bad game. Nonsensical leveling system, nonsense story, obvious shoe horned into the Chrono storyline to sell units, pointless fetch quests.

Absolutely fantastic music though.

Oh and if you're colorblind it is completely unplayable.

I'm colorblind and never had any problems with it. So I'm not sure what you mean. Now games with little red and green dots on the minimap? Those games can gently caress off.

And Chrono Cross isn't bad. The storyline gets convoluted as gently caress at the very end, but that was almost par for the course for JRPGs from the era.

And the leveling system is actually pretty clever; not sure what your issue with it was. "Leveling" is just handled by how many bosses you've killed. It's designed to keep your whole large team on the same power footing without any need to grind, prevent under- or over-leveling, and provide a carefully controlled challenge because the designers knew exactly how strong you would be.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Schwartzcough posted:

I'm colorblind and never had any problems with it. So I'm not sure what you mean. Now games with little red and green dots on the minimap? Those games can gently caress off.

And Chrono Cross isn't bad. The storyline gets convoluted as gently caress at the very end, but that was almost par for the course for JRPGs from the era.

And the leveling system is actually pretty clever; not sure what your issue with it was. "Leveling" is just handled by how many bosses you've killed. It's designed to keep your whole large team on the same power footing without any need to grind, prevent under- or over-leveling, and provide a carefully controlled challenge because the designers knew exactly how strong you would be.

To beat Chrono Cross you need to use elements in the correct order to weaken/kill the final boss. Who can gently caress up the middle of your combos by playing the wrong element and force you to start over.

I'm pretty sure the only indication of which element was affecting the field was the color.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

SelenicMartian posted:

Is Jade Cocoon 2 as dull and monotone as the first one?

The gameplay is better but it is quite repetitive. I personally loved the "quiet end of the world" setting in the first one, but the second one doesn't quite deliver there. It does bookend the first game's protagonist really well though.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Zore posted:

To beat Chrono Cross you need to use elements in the correct order to weaken/kill the final boss. Who can gently caress up the middle of your combos by playing the wrong element and force you to start over.

I'm pretty sure the only indication of which element was affecting the field was the color.

Ah, well maybe if you're massively colorblind, then. Most colorblind people can see most colors just fine, and can even tell the difference between their "problem" colors if what they're looking at is large enough and the colors distinct enough. I'm red-green colorblind, and never had a hard time telling between the red and green elements, since they were large and very distinct when shown in-game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Get the DLC for whatever civ you want to play as and ignore the rest -- the AI will still be able to use stuff you don't have expansions for, so if you don't want to ever play a pagan then you don't need the pagan expansion.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
How is the Last Story and how does it compare to Xenoblade?

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Zore posted:

You know, how there's noises when you cast elements during the final boss? You're playing a song that appeared in the game before.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Finished hexyz force, it was pretty solid in gameplay and also extremely forgettable in story. Having a turbo button for both battles, cutscenes, and any non-interactive moment in the game was amazing and it is criminal that other games don't do this (other than Last Remnant).

The ability to use the force "currency" of the game to level up your weapons allows for really fun cheesing if that's what you want out of a game (and I do).

The game has two campaigns but one might have been enough for me, maybe a long time from now I'll come back and play the other.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

punk rebel ecks posted:

Boring plot, funny character designs (it's the Drakengard guy), fun gear system, the easiest gameplay known to man that will leave you baffled.

That about sums it up. Seriously you could play this game with your pinky toe (or knub if you lack one) and you will still finish the game. It's like a cover-based shooter meets RPG but nothing really matters, just push buttons. It's really strange.

The gear system is fun simply because you can make the funny character designs look even funnier. It's similar to Xenoblade there.

But yeah Xenoblade is better. Last Story has charm, that's about it.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Out of the Operation Rainfall games, I think my order from least liked to most is Last Story > Pandora's Tower > Xenoblade. They're all good, but Last Story has some issues.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Were there any can't miss RPGs for 360, PS3 or Wii? (I already have Xenoblade) I'm catching up on consoles that I didn't buy until used.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Zore posted:

I dunno if this is true or not but I heard that the final boss actually will continue/complete the sequence for you as long as you are a decent way into it. I heard this because, when I did it, I got in everything except Black and I was afraid he was gonna gently caress it all up but then he did Black and thus the fight was over.

Granted, I don't want to be any poor schlub who had to remember the right sequence without the help of friends or the Internet. I never would have remembered from just the couple hints in game.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

NikkolasKing posted:

I dunno if this is true or not but I heard that the final boss actually will continue/complete the sequence for you as long as you are a decent way into it. I heard this because, when I did it, I got in everything except Black and I was afraid he was gonna gently caress it all up but then he did Black and thus the fight was over.

Granted, I don't want to be any poor schlub who had to remember the right sequence without the help of friends or the Internet. I never would have remembered from just the couple hints in game.

The end boss tries to continue the pattern using the opposite colours (so it drops green where you have to use yellow, etc), except it will use White and Black in the correct place; I'm not sure whether that's intentional or accidental.

It also just stops dead after you use the first six, before you cast Chrono Cross, because Chrono Cross has no opposite colour to use. You can just sit there forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's not as good as Xenoblade, but it's pretty charming and funny. The gameplay is odd, A great deal is based around having your mages create magic circles, and your main character rushes into them to disperse them to create effects. It's a pretty easy game for most of it... until the later parts, where the difficulty spikes quite a bit - and the final boss spikes even higher past that.