Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

eyebeem posted:

It's not a glorified trike. It's a trike.

Why do you think a modified Miata or s2000 would be more fun? What are you basing that on? It's faster? It's more insulated from the elements? It handles better? None of those things make a a car more or less fun. I couldn't care less about driving it in the rain because, again, it's a weekend car. It's for going out for a couple of hours of stupid fun. It's for entertaining the kids on a trip to the grocery store after they fight over who gets to go. It's bonkers. It's fun.

A big part of the fun is how open the thing is. How close you are to the ground. How rough around the edges the thing is. That's the charm. If I wanted a modified Japanese roadster, that's what I'd be buying, but it's not what I want. Not everyone has the same qualifications as everyone else.

Are you too fat for a motorcycle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

BlackMK4 posted:

$20k will buy you a >200whp Panigale... or you could have $6k left over after you buy a ZX10R that needs a flash and full exhaust to make 200whp.

Except you're not going to tote your frumpy wife around on the back of the Panigale while you go to the local biker watering hole for lunch before parking it again for a few weeks.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

But that's not flashy enough for lay people to know he has money to waste.

A panigale's plenty flashy for most people and doesn't look like a Tamya car.

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Except you're not going to tote your frumpy wife around on the back of the Panigale while you go to the local biker watering hole for lunch before parking it again for a few weeks.

This is almost exactly what every ducati is used for.

What's a base model Atom go for nowadays?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Really the only trike worth getting is the Morgan and that's because it's

a) a Morgan
b) completely ridiculous in a way that conveys self-knowledge of its ridiculousness

Even then, it would probably be better to get an Atom or a Caterham. That's what I would do and I have the best taste so there you go.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Slavvy posted:

I think he was being sarcastic, it doesn't get too much more flashy than a Pani :v:

Except you're not going to tote your frumpy wife around on the back of the Panigale while you go to the local biker watering hole for lunch track before parking it again for a few weeks.
I am ducati_owner.jpg

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Slavvy posted:

This is almost exactly what every ducati is used for.

What's a base model Atom go for nowadays?

Most people can't tell a Ducati from a Hyosung.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

iwentdoodie posted:

I ride a Ducati, I will tell you otherwise. Everyone knows what they are and think they are awesome, I have no idea why.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

For most people, there are only two types of motorcycles: Harleys and crotchrockets.

I've given up trying to explain what a sport touring bike is.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Guinness posted:

For most people, there are only two types of motorcycles: Harleys and crotchrockets.

I've given up trying to explain what a sport touring bike is.

There are also dirtbikes, which apparently also includes adventure motorcycles.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

BlackMK4 posted:

I ride a Ducati, I will tell you otherwise. Everyone knows what they are and think they are awesome, I have no idea why.

Really? No one I know who isn't into cars/bieks knows or cares what they are. Then again, you have a 749 don't you? Older ones seem much flashier.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

That trike thing looks like a really ugly KTM X Bow.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BlackMK4 posted:

$20k will buy you a >200whp Panigale... or you could have $6k left over after you buy a ZX10R that needs a flash and full exhaust to make 200whp.

It's also a completely different classification (I don't care that the DMV calls the Polaris a motorcycle) of vehicle. You can't be that stupid.

I'm not fat, but I don't trust myself on a motorcycle nor do I have any real desire to own/ride one. I ride road bikes and mountain bikes to get my fix on two wheels.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

iwentdoodie posted:

Really? No one I know who isn't into cars/bieks knows or cares what they are. Then again, you have a 749 don't you? Older ones seem much flashier.

Nobody who isn't into cars/bikes knows what or cares what a Ducati is. My wife and I were at the San Diego auto museum on Saturday and she had never head of Ducati as a brand, let alone as anything "special."

A $1,200 stroller in front of a 1966 Bizzarrini P538 and an (Arguably terrible car stuff) Dino.

eyebeem fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 17, 2015

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

eyebeem posted:

Nobody who isn't into cars/bikes knows what or cares what a Ducati is. My wife and I were at the San Diego auto museum on Saturday and she had never head of Ducati as a brand, let alone as anything "special."

A $1,200 stroller in front of a 1966 Bizzarrini P538 and an (Arguably terrible car stuff) Dino.

I've had old ladies come up and tell me how beautiful my Multistrada was, and they didn't know what a Ducati was either. But it's red, and that's usually enough for most people. Part of the Ducati magic.
Poor old dear, her eyesight must have been really bad.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Linedance posted:

I've had old ladies come up and tell me how beautiful my Multistrada was, and they didn't know what a Ducati was either. But it's red, and that's usually enough for most people. Part of the Ducati magic.
Poor old dear, her eyesight must have been really bad.

The same thing happens with my stroller, but they are hot young moms.

Stroller > Ducati

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

BlackMK4 posted:

I think he was being sarcastic, it doesn't get too much more flashy than a Pani :v:
I am ducati_owner.jpg

Actually it was a joke that the panigale had no back seat but after google researching, I was totally wrong. My bad.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

BlackMK4 posted:

It's the tambourine where your clutch is supposed to be.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

eyebeem posted:

Look at all the cheap hard plastic. Shameful.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
That's the secret behind most, if not all, "upscale" brands. Same (or lower) production cost and quality as mid priced (or sometimes low priced) brands, significantly higher price.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nidhg00670000 posted:

That's the secret behind most, if not all, "upscale" brands. Same (or lower) production cost and quality as mid priced (or sometimes low priced) brands, significantly higher price.

I'm glad the only large component made out of metal is the main chassis beam. It's heavy enough.

Now, when I can buy a stupidly expensive carbon fiber stroller.... I'm there.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

You have a thing for only three wheels I see. Nevermind, I see the fourth wheel. You know what? If a $20k trike makes you happy, so be it. Don't let other people piss on your parade. These same folks are going nuts over a 6 figure lambo another goon bought in the gen chat thread. Don't get butthurt over it.

Devyl fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 17, 2015

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

eyebeem posted:

So where is that 1200 going exactly? For that kind of money I'd expect carbon fiber or something so that it's light enough for the wife to constantly lift in and out of the a SUV when taking the kids to Bristol Farms.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC1inKJhHEM

Note the yellow line. I wish i could have grabbed the FB comments before it got deleted.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 17, 2015

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Longinus00 posted:

So where is that 1200 going exactly? For that kind of money I'd expect carbon fiber or something so that it's light enough for the wife to constantly lift in and out of the a SUV when taking the kids to Bristol Farms.

I can't tell you how many thread derails have happened thanks to this custom title.

1) Luxury Tax
2) Style Tax
3) Unique design that puts the kid closer to the parent
4) Textile quality
5) Solid build

"Luxury" strollers start at about $700, and for that you can buy an Uppababy Vista which is probably the best stroller on the market when you look at the entire package including cost. If you were to compare a high end stroller to one from, say, Target, you'd get the picture pretty much immediately. No wobbles, no funky difficulties getting the wheels to go where you want them, no sticky clasps, no creaks.

Solid build is probably the biggest overall difference you will see right out of the gate. Our Stokke Xplory is a loving tank, and it rolls like the wheels are made out of clouds. It's amazing.

Beyond the cost of entry of the Uppababy, you're really paying for style and brand cache. The Stokke pictured has the fortunate/unfortunate honor of being the stroller half of the celebrity parents are photographed in for People magazine, so they can charge more for it. The textiles ARE really high quality, and it does look like nothing else out there, so that's worth some amount of money to people that can't get over the looks (like my wife).

When my wife saw one while out one day, she googled her keyword description of it to figure out what it was, having no idea how much it cost. She wanted it from day one.

We also own a Bloom Zen, which was $1,100 or so all in : http://www.giggle.com/introducing-bloom%27s-zen-stroller-%26-yoga-newborn-nest/zen_landing.html

It's more of an "off-road capable" stroller. Like the Stokke, it is unbelievably solid, but it also folds up smaller than you could loving imagine, has solar powered lights, amazing wheels and suspension (it's smoother than the Stokke. The kid won't wake up no matter what terrain you are on), and looks the business. We have the CMYK version, which looks loving awesome. Also, great attention to detail, build, etc.

I have three kids. I've done the cheap stroller thing, and didn't even realize high end strollers were a thing until this new kid showed up. I thought it was silly that she wanted to spend so much on a stroller, but once I used one at the boutique, I realized that there really was a difference. Is the difference worth spending $1,000 more than the Chicco at Target? For us, yes. It's frivollous to a point when we could have bought a $700 Uppababy and had all of the tangible benefits, but to be honest, we can afford to spend extra on style, so we did.

*edit*

This is a really, really long post about strollers. I am terrible car stuff.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Somewhere along the way we lost sight of the true villain here: snowmobile companies making road vehicles.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

eyebeem posted:

It's not a glorified trike. It's a trike.

Why do you think a modified Miata or s2000 would be more fun? What are you basing that on? It's faster? It's more insulated from the elements? It handles better? None of those things make a a car more or less fun. I couldn't care less about driving it in the rain because, again, it's a weekend car. It's for going out for a couple of hours of stupid fun. It's for entertaining the kids on a trip to the grocery store after they fight over who gets to go. It's bonkers. It's fun.

A big part of the fun is how open the thing is. How close you are to the ground. How rough around the edges the thing is. That's the charm. If I wanted a modified Japanese roadster, that's what I'd be buying, but it's not what I want. Not everyone has the same qualifications as everyone else.

Y'know, there's a dude posting about the new Lambo he just bought, and DV obviously has his new Viper, I'm happy for both of them, that they bought awesome, expensive new toys. You; piss me off, mostly because of your snotty, abrasive, upper-middle-class, bourgeois attitude, you exude :smuggo:

P.S. my $2000 R1 is much, much faster than your overpriced toy, sorry you can't ride bieks.

edit: see your post about why you drive an F-150 because ~that's what we drive~ in another thread for additional reasons why you're annoying.

PingtheMerciless
Dec 31, 2001
Lotsa bad intent.
I recall watching a documentary on lions a long time ago where a pride of female lions was having a very hard fight with a pack of hyenas and suddenly the male lion showed up and layed waste in an incredibly impressive way.

I am expecting a mod to fly in here at any moment and I envision it to be about the same in digital form.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

eyebeem posted:

Some of you... jesus christ. There are products out there that are for people that aren't you. The closest competition the Polaris Slingshot has is the Morgan 3 Wheeler or T Rex. Both cost 2-4x as much, the Morgan is WAY more stylish, and I believe performance is about the same. It's a rough 3 wheeled toy that isn't going to blow the pants off of more sporty cars, but it's probably going to more fun than most of them, and anything else that costs 20 grand new.

For $20,000 I could turn any one of my vehicles in a really fun and sporty vehicle.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 17, 2015

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Elviscat posted:

Y'know, there's a dude posting about the new Lambo he just bought, and DV obviously has his new Viper, I'm happy for both of them, that they bought awesome, expensive new toys. You; piss me off, mostly because of your snotty, abrasive, upper-middle-class, bourgeois attitude, you exude :smuggo:

P.S. my $2000 R1 is much, much faster than your overpriced toy, sorry you can't ride bieks.

edit: see your post about why you drive an F-150 because ~that's what we drive~ in another thread for additional reasons why you're annoying.

I drive an F-150, and it's "what we drive" because it's a company car, and that's what most people in my position (we) at firms like mine are given to drive. I think I made that pretty clear.

I don't think I've been abrasive at all, but if I've come off that way in defense of a goddamn TOY like the Polaris Slingshot, I am sorry. I'd argue that those posting about how they know EXACTLY what a fun car actually is to everyone are the ones being smug and snotty. Not to mention your smug line about your $2,000 motorcycle. Are you serious?

For the record, I never made any, any claim to the performance of the slingshot. It's not a fast car/trike/whatever. It's a plaything.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
It's more your general attitude that just screams "i have money pay attention to me". More so than owning a supercar does, because you brag and go on about a goddamn stroller and your company vehicle.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Actually it was a joke that the panigale had no back seat but after google researching, I was totally wrong. My bad.

Supersport back seats are so laughable it may as well not have one anyway.

Linedance posted:

Somewhere along the way we lost sight of the true villain here: snowmobile companies making road vehicles.

Victory's alright if you like that sort of thing.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Jesus Christ. Despite the :smug: you assholes somehow managed to be worse.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Linedance posted:

Snowmobile companies are making American motorcycles now, no less.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Stop trying to justify the trike in terms of fun. The reason someone would buy it is because he loving wants one. No, I don't use my Suburban's 10,000 towing capability, and no I don't often use the 9-person seating capacity, and no I don't actually need to go off road every once in a while... so why do I have it? Because I loving wanted one. That's it. That is all the reason there needs to be. That's as logical as it gets. So hush.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Friar Zucchini posted:

Stop trying to justify the trike in terms of fun. The reason someone would buy it is because he loving wants one. No, I don't use my Suburban's 10,000 towing capability, and no I don't often use the 9-person seating capacity, and no I don't actually need to go off road every once in a while... so why do I have it? Because I loving wanted one. That's it. That is all the reason there needs to be. That's as logical as it gets. So hush.

Terrible rant stuff itt.

Anyway, for content, proper AI strollers.

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 17, 2015

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

eyebeem posted:

It's more of an "off-road capable" stroller. Like the Stokke, it is unbelievably solid, but it also folds up smaller than you could loving imagine, has solar powered lights, amazing wheels and suspension (it's smoother than the Stokke. The kid won't wake up no matter what terrain you are on), and looks the business.

my parents just put me in a backpack

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BMW really have done a tremendous job of transforming themselves from a builder of driver-orientated executive missiles to a builder of upper-class tacky garbage, haven't they?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

atomicthumbs posted:

my parents just put me in a backpack

How long was it before someone came along and found you?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Slavvy posted:

BMW really have done a tremendous job of transforming themselves from a builder of driver-orientated executive missiles to a builder of upper-class tacky garbage, haven't they?

They have, and it's a sadder world for it. *pours out some $20/l oil for the fallen ///M brand*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Gotta make sure the engine can breathe properly! (Although I'll harbour a guess that 9 of those exhausts are fake)