Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?

silvergoose posted:

Yes, but there's a sekwit goon Print and Play.

Can someone PM that to me or link me to it or something? I'd love to test this out if it's still around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

sicarius posted:

Can someone PM that to me or link me to it or something? I'd love to test this out if it's still around.

Broken Loose posted:

crosspost:
I was just finishing up the reviewer version of the Final Attack! Print & Play package, when it hit me how much you guys have absolutely spoiled me and blown me away.

Enjoy! I hope this pushes some indecisives over the edge. Otherwise, I hope it hypes up a lot of those already backing.

You will need: Poker chips and cardstock.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Here's the Print N Play, and here's the post where he linked it.

e:f;b

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
The new Librarian character from the Eldritch Horror expansion is loving silly. Why yes, I would like literally all of the books in the game. Oh, I died? Time to switch to the Waitress, who is a potential teleport-nuke with all that poo poo and a few artifact tomes I lucked into.

Full Metal Boxers
Feb 20, 2007

COME LITTLE BITCOIN.... COME MY WAY.....IN THE MID NIGHT HOUR... I YELL NO NO NO... WITH A REBEL YELL I YELL MORE MORE MORE.... BIT COIN... I WANT TO FUCK YOU

Poison Mushroom posted:

...holy poo poo, that was intentional? I was quite impressed by how much thought you put into the game design before, but now I'm completely blown away.

I can see that. Maybe moving the barriers to the boost quadrant only? (The question then becomes what the other symbol in the Power quadrant would be. Melee? Edit Stability would make sense.)

For reference, the 2P video was a Difficulty Six, played by one semi-experienced robot jockey and The Creator of the Goddamn Game. We had a really efficient combination of abilities for the enemy we drew AND we had Unicorn, and we still almost ran out of energy more than once.

Edit: Just saw BL's post about the design thread, I'll keep comments about FA! dev type stuff there from now on. :v: Also PerniciousKnid and Mister Sinewave, that's really helpful feedback about the vid, thanks.

Full Metal Boxers fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 16, 2015

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Echophonic posted:

The new Librarian character from the Eldritch Horror expansion is loving silly. Why yes, I would like literally all of the books in the game. Oh, I died? Time to switch to the Waitress, who is a potential teleport-nuke with all that poo poo and a few artifact tomes I lucked into.

The Waitress is really, really good. My group played the Rise of the Elder Things and the guaranteed Alien Device from one of the mysteries gave me something like 9 dice to roll when casting. We went from having what looked like a guaranteed loss (almost out of doom, almost out of mythos cards) to finishing the last two mysteries in something like 3 turns.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Second Final Attack rules clarification question: Do Held event cards get flipped down, or do they remain face up since no EN chip was placed on them?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Archenteron posted:

Second Final Attack rules clarification question: Do Held event cards get flipped down, or do they remain face up since no EN chip was placed on them?

Events function like any Attack card. Put a Chip on them when they are Held off (which happens automatically when you resolve them, and resolving all Attacks is mandatory), flip them facedown during Regeneration, flip them faceup during the next Impact's Regeneration, goto 10.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Echophonic posted:

As silly as that sounds, it also sounds exactly how a bunch of horror films kind of end.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Broken Loose posted:

Events function like any Attack card. Put a Chip on them when they are Held off (which happens automatically when you resolve them, and resolving all Attacks is mandatory), flip them facedown during Regeneration, flip them faceup during the next Impact's Regeneration, goto 10.

That is one question I had too. The book says in one part that they're treated like attacks, but then another part of the book doesn't mention them when talking about what to do at the end of the round. Watching the gameplay video again helped show, but the book was a little confusing on that.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Tricky posted:

The Waitress is really, really good. My group played the Rise of the Elder Things and the guaranteed Alien Device from one of the mysteries gave me something like 9 dice to roll when casting. We went from having what looked like a guaranteed loss (almost out of doom, almost out of mythos cards) to finishing the last two mysteries in something like 3 turns.

Yeah, I didn't get to use her for very long but I can see her being a murder machine. Shame I didn't get to roll in and Poison Mist every gate on the board like I wanted to because we lost.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
After watching the 2 player video of Final Attack, I have a much better understanding of how it plays. I also really liked how it gradually expands the decision space/introduces complexity. It's my first board game kickstarter, so you better not let me down.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Sorry, one more Final Attack clarification question: What happens when you multiple boost a system with Burnout in its boost effect? I think they effectively mean nothing beyond the first one since burnout applies immediately after activation and can't "float" to apply to other systems, but I just want to double-check.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Archenteron posted:

Sorry, one more Final Attack clarification question: What happens when you multiple boost a system with Burnout in its boost effect? I think they effectively mean nothing beyond the first one since burnout applies immediately after activation and can't "float" to apply to other systems, but I just want to double-check.

Correct. (This means that it's ideal to maximize the number of Boosts on Systems that Burnout upon being Boosted.)

Generally, I tried to make the game very straightforward in its rules interpretations.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

The road to FFG rulebook is paved with good intentions.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
We will hang him from the rafters before all is said and done.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Rahdo's recent video reminded me that Temporum existed. Now that the hype has died down, what's the verdict on it? Does it have any staying power? I think I remember BL saying something along the lines of it being kind of easy to solve.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gimnbo posted:

Rahdo's recent video reminded me that Temporum existed. Now that the hype has died down, what's the verdict on it? Does it have any staying power? I think I remember BL saying something along the lines of it being kind of easy to solve.

How exactly can you solve a game that has almost 49 million starting combinations before you factor in variability of card draw, seating position and player interaction?

We've played Temporum eight or times or so over the last two months, only one person has disliked it (and he likes Smallworld) and I've been asked specifically to bring it on at least one occasion. It's not going to shake the world, but it's solid.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Welp, couldn't get Dominion inside the country so my friends replaced that with... "We didn't playtest this at all"

Just the name of it tells me there's fun times ahead. :shepface: This is literally Munchkin/Exploding Cats under another name right.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Azran posted:

Welp, couldn't get Dominion inside the country so my friends replaced that with... "We didn't playtest this at all"

Just the name of it tells me there's fun times ahead. :shepface: This is literally Munchkin/Exploding Cats under another name right.

It's 1000 Blank Cards without the fun of actually creating the cards.

It's still probably better than Munchkin.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

The few times I've played WDPTAA, the games lasted less than 10 minutes. It's so monkey-cheese random that somebody stumbles into a win condition pretty fast.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Azran posted:

It's quick, it's incredibly silly, and it's not really a game, but it is something to do while drinking and chatting with friends. It's better than Munchkin at least, if only because the game is so fast.

That being said, my friend with AP issues actually spent about 3 minutes trying to do a turn once while we all yelled at him to hurry the gently caress up because it's not like the game is serious or meant to be taken seriously in any way.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Azran posted:

Is Print and Play practical in Argentina? Are sleeves and print services something that's not too expensive?

Maybe you could print The Resistance, 2 Rooms and a Boom, BattleCON, Final Attack, Tiny Epic Kingdoms, Scoville (http://boardsandbarley.com/2013/09/11/scoville-print-play-version-3/), maybe Pixel Tactics? Not sure if that ends up being more reasonable than importing.

E: You could also make your own version of Skull and Roses with coasters

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The Resistance can be proxied with a deck of cards, or basic lands from MTG, since you basically just need "good guys" and "bad guys". Avalon rules involve writing "Merlin", "assassin" and so on the lands.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Alright BL, I name-dropped Final Attack! on the discussion on SU&SD today. Didn't link it because I think they have rules against that. Maybe they'll mention it next week.

Also congrats on getting half-way to funded!

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Apparently no one has played Pressure Cooker or have an opinion lol

How is X-Com? Looking to order a few games here in the next week or so so trying to get a list setup

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Is Print and Play practical in Argentina? Are sleeves and print services something that's not too expensive?

Maybe you could print The Resistance, 2 Rooms and a Boom, BattleCON, Final Attack, Tiny Epic Kingdoms, Scoville (http://boardsandbarley.com/2013/09/11/scoville-print-play-version-3/), maybe Pixel Tactics? Not sure if that ends up being more reasonable than importing.

E: You could also make your own version of Skull and Roses with coasters

Sleeves can get pretty expensive pretty fast - color printing not so much, for $25 I can get 25 A2-sized prints in full color - in fact I've already played The Resistance that way (2RAAB is printed as well, haven't had a chance to play it though). It's really hard to parse what's good and what's poo poo in the realm of PnP, so that small list helps me a lot. Thanks. :v:

By October the customs situation may change, but we will see.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Apparently no one has played Pressure Cooker or have an opinion lol

OmegaGoo posted:

Do you like Galaxy Trucker?

Do you play with people who enjoy the physical aspect of Galaxy Trucker but can't seem to wrap their heads around building a good ship?

Do you play with people who are good at multitasking but suck at engineering?

Do you play with people who don't enjoy the schadenfreude but just want to do well at a game?

Then have I got a game for you!

Pressure Cooker is basically Galaxy Trucker without the "drive your ship" phase. Sure, there's a resolution round, but it's a much shorter scoring round. I personally believe Pressure Cooker is much more accessible than Galaxy Trucker for a similar gameplay experience. Galaxy Trucker, however, is the much better game.

That said, Pressure Cooker could have a place in a collection along with Galaxy Trucker if your players want a slightly more laid back experience. My only major issue with the game is that peppers can't go on a hamburger, but mixed vegetables can. Yup.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Big McHuge posted:

Alright BL, I name-dropped Final Attack! on the discussion on SU&SD today. Didn't link it because I think they have rules against that. Maybe they'll mention it next week.

Also congrats on getting half-way to funded!
lol @ the two 'original idea, do not steal' guys

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Tekopo posted:

lol @ the two 'original idea, do not steal' guys

Honestly I don't think that it should discourage people from making games with similar themes. I'd rather see 10 new giant robot board games come out instead of another dumb zombie game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Big McHuge posted:

Honestly I don't think that it should discourage people from making games with similar themes. I'd rather see 10 new giant robot board games come out instead of another dumb zombie game.
It's more that they seem so downcast that someone else got out the same theme before them.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I can see being bummed about it in this modern age of kickstarters that regularly hit 120k+ on theme and novelty alone, but also that's scummy as gently caress.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Countblanc posted:

I can see being bummed about it in this modern age of kickstarters that regularly hit 120k+ on theme and novelty alone, but also that's scummy as gently caress.

From the guy's description of "still in the 'where's-the-fun' stage", it sounded like he absolutely thought he had an original theme that he could glide to popularity on, and was disappointed that someone took the theme and actually did something completely unique with it.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Met with Steve Jackson for the first time at NY Toy Fair this weekend. As expected, the guy is... Weird.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Jedit posted:

How exactly can you solve a game that has almost 49 million starting combinations before you factor in variability of card draw, seating position and player interaction?

We've played Temporum eight or times or so over the last two months, only one person has disliked it (and he likes Smallworld) and I've been asked specifically to bring it on at least one occasion. It's not going to shake the world, but it's solid.

I can't make up my mind about whether I should get Temporum. It seems like it just isn't as good as Dominion mechanically, and especially with 4-5 players might get too chaotic to really strategize. On the other hand, I played Dominion again after a hiatus and remembered how slow and boring it can be with players who aren't veteran Dominion gamers. Even I felt like I was playing slowly, re-learning the various cards, but then when I stomped my opponents with my superior understanding of the mechanics it didn't feel that satisfying anyway. Temporum seems like it could be a bit more accessible while still offering some strategy comboing goodness. Except when the timeline jerks all over.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Big McHuge posted:

That's basically what I told them. One of the guys said his was a dice game so I'm not exactly worried about any overlap. It's all kind of symptomatic of the weird divorce between mechanics and theme so present in tabletop games now.

Guy A. Person posted:

From the guy's description of "still in the 'where's-the-fun' stage", it sounded like he absolutely thought he had an original theme that he could glide to popularity on, and was disappointed that someone took the theme and actually did something completely unique with it.

Yeah, I hope he meant "I had a game that used some of those elements but you finished first," because I can't imagine any other reason to shelve a game because another game used the same theme (outside of one game just being strictly better). If he was like, "That looks way awesomer than what I was making!" then hey, cool, no skin off my back.

PerniciousKnid posted:

I can't make up my mind about whether I should get Temporum. It seems like it just isn't as good as Dominion mechanically, and especially with 4-5 players might get too chaotic to really strategize. On the other hand, I played Dominion again after a hiatus and remembered how slow and boring it can be with players who aren't veteran Dominion gamers. Even I felt like I was playing slowly, re-learning the various cards, but then when I stomped my opponents with my superior understanding of the mechanics it didn't feel that satisfying anyway. Temporum seems like it could be a bit more accessible while still offering some strategy comboing goodness. Except when the timeline jerks all over.

I haven't played Temporum in a couple months for personal reasons, but my main issue with the game is that the good parts of the game greatly resemble Dominion, while the bad parts are completely absent from Dominion. DXV did go on to admit that Temporum was effectively his attempt at a board version of Dominion, and it shows, but it also means that I have a greatly superior version on the shelf next to it. I'll go back to Temporum after my current stuff is handled just to see how it evolves.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

This conversation makes me wonder how many games would be awesome if we all managed to play them 100+ times. Dominion is one of the few games where there's a possibility that I'll run into some random gamer who has played it 10+ times. Finding other games like that is pretty rare given that it seems like most people I play with rotate games pretty frequently, myself included. Lifestyle games like X-Wing and Netrunner excluded. E: To clarify, it's rare that I'll be able to get a game with people who have played a game 10+ times with other people who have played 10+ times. I meet people who have played 'Gric or whatever 10 or more times but often with new people and the like and they haven't developed a mature strategy in the same magnitude as many people have with Dominion

Re: Pret-a-porter, a new in box version auction on ebay was closing within 3 minutes of posting the other day, so I bid on it based on the immediate feedback here, and won! I'm pretty excited, my fiance and some of our friends totally know what 'boho' is. (it's also not very fashionable anymore, would be cool if we could replace it with 'health goth' for maximum fashion ridiculousness..). A re-theme with a video game development theme sounds like it will be much more successful and I'll probably check that out, too, but a fashion theme is going to jump off the shelf for some of the people I play with.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Re: Pret-a-porter, a new in box version auction on ebay was closing within 3 minutes of posting the other day, so I bid on it based on the immediate feedback here, and won! I'm pretty excited, my fiance and some of our friends totally know what 'boho' is. (it's also not very fashionable anymore, would be cool if we could replace it with 'health goth' for maximum fashion ridiculousness..). A re-theme with a video game development theme sounds like it will be much more successful and I'll probably check that out, too, but a fashion theme is going to jump off the shelf for some of the people I play with.

Is this game supposed to be good/in demand? There's a copy been sitting at my FLGS for a while which is now discounted, I suppose because most of the patrons glance over the Fashion theme without a second thought, myself admittedly being one.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Doh hope i didn't just completely miss this post. Thanks!
We do own Galaxy trucker but think this might find a spot in our rotation.

So far my short list of games is:
Imperial Assault
Pressure Cooker

Possibly Zombie 15. Need another "light" game that plays pretty quick. Kicking around ideas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Alright, so, despite the urging of many in the thread, I purchased Elder Sign. And I quite like it. Here's my counter-review:

First off, anyone saying that Elder Sign is not a particularly deep game is 100% right. This is not a centerpiece to base an evening of gaming around. Nor is it short enough to be a filler game before/after a meatier title. This is one of those games that slots in perfectly in a "well, we've got a couple hours to kill, nothing really pressing to do...Elder Sign?" type of time slot. The Lovecraft theme is not as well executed as in Eldritch Horror; there isn't a whole lot of flavor text to be had. But what theme is present is well used. Every event card feels like something that could be taking place in an Old One-infested museum. As for the gameplay itself, I dislike all the comparisons that were made to Yahtzee. Yes, there are a bunch of dice you try to make certain sets out of your rolls...but that's about where the similarities end. I found there to be interesting enough strategy in making decisions between "Well, this one needs one really unlikely combo, but that one down there needs 4 different smaller combos" and "Well, we really need to unlock the Yellow die...but can I really handle that on my own?" and "We should resolve this Other World encounter before midnight...but there's other things that need doing first...". I can definitely see why people would shy away from recommending Elder Sign, but I don't think its the turd that certain posts made it out to be.

I think that for what you're getting in the box, $35 is a hair too high, but I do not regret my purchase at all, and I fully intend on snagging the expansions after the base game sees a little more play.