Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Phone posted:

This is an insane read.

It's frustrating to me, mildly at least. I don't have much affection for Peter but the interviewer isn't really asking questions in good faith, I don't think. They're unanswerable questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I stopped reading the article halfway through because the interviewer was being so lovely. He comes off much worse than Molyneux does.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
I dunno, I read the article and it seemed pretty fair given the circumstances? The interviewer is agressive, sure, but Molyneux has put himself exactly in the position to be asked those unanswerable questions.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I posted about it a bunch in the thread about Molyneux but I think it's one of those situations where we just get to sit back and rub our hands on our faces and be embarrassed and be like "videogames" and hope it passes quickly because the interviewer is dumb and was bragging about owning him FOR THE PLAYERS and poo poo on twitter but then Molyneux is a pretty unsympathetic target and it's pretty funny to watch him get mad when someone just says "are you mentally ill" or "are you a liar" to him

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It even came off in the interview that Peter Molyneux is just a world class bullshitter. He talks and talks and talks, and because he's saying a lot of things, that must mean that he knows what he's talking about, right? I seriously think Molyneux would have dug the same exact hole had the interviewer asked him "What did you have for breakfast today?"

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.
VideogamesHotdog was really good this week, not only did Zack call out all the things wrong with Sunless Sea, he dropped truths about Tale of Tales. Thank you, videogames hotdogman.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

I like to bring positivity to the table. :/

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Sunless Sea is one of the worst games I've wanted to like in a long time, I should listen to this VGHD

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I don't think I would even be a little bit mad if the next episode of Idle Thumbs was just two of the Thumbs doing a dramatic reading of the RPS/Molyneux interview.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

zapjackson posted:

I like to bring positivity to the table. :/

You should feel bad about spoiling the episode about WOFF on Starcontrol II. Jeez have control on spoilers Zack :colbert:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Wait, people like Tales of Tales? Like, unironically?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Wait, people like Tales of Tales? Like, unironically?

I've seen a lot of game devs (Steve Gaynor for instance) giving them props for doing whatever the gently caress they want and somehow stay out of financial ruin.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Pinterest Mom posted:

I don't think I would even be a little bit mad if the next episode of Idle Thumbs was just two of the Thumbs doing a dramatic reading of the RPS/Molyneux interview.

Given Sean's relationship to Peter that seems unlikely.

snuggleshrub
Jul 2, 2010
That really is a terrible interview. I don't see how he's done anything to merit that level of contempt from a video game journalist.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Man I love that interview. What's Sean's prior relationship with Molyneux anyway?

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

snuggleshrub posted:

That really is a terrible interview. I don't see how he's done anything to merit that level of contempt from a video game journalist.

While I don't really have an direct contempt for Molyneux the man has essentially spent the last 20 years lying his rear end off about anything and everything about his games. Most of it can be explained away by saying he's just excitedly telling people what he wants the game to be, yet you get to project Milo and hes just bold faced lying about everything related to that project.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001
See also, his insane "it's not on rails" argument about that Fable Kinect game that was very obviously on rails, and how he was desperately trying to get journalists to sign something saying "I understand this is not on rails".

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

thefncrow posted:

See also, his insane "it's not on rails" argument about that Fable Kinect game that was very obviously on rails, and how he was desperately trying to get journalists to sign something saying "I understand this is not on rails".

gently caress I forgot about that. There was a story about how when he was showing that game off he started and ended every session at E3 in front of a whiteboard writing out and underlining "It's not on rails".

It was on rails the only difference was you selected where you were going.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

snuggleshrub posted:

Curiosity -> Henderson -> Godus Kickstarter -> £0.5m from backers based on promises he intended to break from the beginning is a good place to start, although in all honesty that's just the endgame of aw-gosh-shucks-isn't-Peter-so-naive Molyneux who's made a career out of selling games based on him talking utter bullshit to the press.

Curiosity is getting a bit of a free pass here but let's not forget they were monetising it (even if you ignore that £50k pickaxe!) with the ultimate aim of the prize being, um, basically some free publicity for their next game that they decided to do absolutely nothing about? That alone puts Curiosity squarely in the "con" bracket, and that's before we get to Godus.

e: I am conscious that I am already talking a lot about this in the dedicated thread for it so perhaps that's a better place for this discussion?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I've been a defender of Molyneux long past the point of reason, in large part because I grew up with his games from the Bullfrog era and things like Syndicate, Populous, Dungeon Keeper, and Theme Park/Hospital will buy a lot of goodwill, but there's no way to defend him anymore. The games he's made since the Bullfrog era have been either decent but lacking (Black and White) or flat-out contrary to what was promised (Fable, Godus/Curiosity). Now, even those games tended to be good, I like Fable 1 and 2 quite a lot in fact, but at this point he really is taking the piss. I can get behind being excitable and honestly just overstating things because you genuinely do want to put them in, but it doesn't make it any more honest in the long run, and I think the best thing he could do really is hiring someone else to talk to the press and personally shutting up. That does not change the problems with Godus and Curiosity as press/hype is only part of the problems there, but it would be have retained him a lot of goodwill with Fable, which was being hyped back when it was called Project Ego as a world-changer.

I mean, the interview was certainly harsh and brutal, but the man is purportedly selling a product to paying customers, and with Kickstarter being involved it becomes rather more critical that he deliver on his promises. I can wait to see whether Fable has growing trees and that stuff and then decide whether and when to buy, but if I've bought into a KS like Godus (I didn't, I've been fairly judicious about KS so I've yet to be burned) I'd be pretty pissed off with the current situation. The fact that this is a problem commonplace in Kickstarter projects doesn't really shift the responsibility away from the man.

I really do want to see some podcasts like Thumbs tackle the issue because I think it's an important one (as important as videogames can be anyway), but if there are personal relationships involved then it's totally fair to stay away from the topic.

snuggleshrub
Jul 2, 2010

Thirsty Dog posted:

Curiosity -> Henderson -> Godus Kickstarter -> £0.5m from backers based on promises he intended to break from the beginning is a good place to start, although in all honesty that's just the endgame of aw-gosh-shucks-isn't-Peter-so-naive Molyneux who's made a career out of selling games based on him talking utter bullshit to the press.

Curiosity is getting a bit of a free pass here but let's not forget they were monetising it (even if you ignore that £50k pickaxe!) with the ultimate aim of the prize being, um, basically some free publicity for their next game that they decided to do absolutely nothing about? That alone puts Curiosity squarely in the "con" bracket, and that's before we get to Godus.

e: I am conscious that I am already talking a lot about this in the dedicated thread for it so perhaps that's a better place for this discussion?

There are plenty of things to criticize Molyneux about and he deserves it. I just take issue with the tone of the interview and feel it went far beyond simply pointing out the objectionable things the man has done or asking him to offer an explanation for perceived misdeeds. I feel it was unprofessional.

Edit: also didn't know there was a thread about the interview I won't gum this one up with more comments.

snuggleshrub fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 17, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's a bad interview from a bad interviewer about a bad person. Bad.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I don't know what Vanaman's relationship with Molyneux it, but he tweeted this:

https://twitter.com/vanaman/status/566320165986373632

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Molyneux did make one or two reasonable points in the interview but they don't necessarily apply to his situation so they don't make him any less of a shyster.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Just to clarify, I don't have any affection for PM. I just don't know what the point of the interview was. What's the aim? It's not like Peter was going to say, "You got me! I'm a liar!" and even if he did, then what?

I'm not one of those guys who places ultimate faith in the free market and I think the fact that people give this guy money doesn't absolve him from anything, but an essay seems like a better avenue for this than an interview.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

My best guess for the reason that interview exists is that John Walker really wants people to talk about or give a poo poo about his website

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

Red Red Blue posted:

My best guess for the reason that interview exists is that John Walker really wants people to talk about or give a poo poo about his website

Ah yes, the "lovely clickbait shill" argument.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Yes that tiny unknown upstart "Rock Paper Shotgun", desperate for attention because no one has heard of them.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Woffle posted:

Just to clarify, I don't have any affection for PM. I just don't know what the point of the interview was. What's the aim? It's not like Peter was going to say, "You got me! I'm a liar!" and even if he did, then what?

Well by that logic, Frost/Nixon didn't have any point, Nixon wasn't going to cop to anything. It doesn't mean interviews are useless or bad.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

"When the president does it, that means it is not illegal."

What could that interview possibly have gotten from Molyneux?

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

It felt like an opportunity to "pin him down" and get him to confess "in his own words" (those quotes are not from RPS but are the general sentiment expressed around hard hitting-style aggressive interviews). That said, I think the whole thing just needs to be thrown out when the opening question is a put-words-in-the-interviewee's-mouth question like "are you a pathological liar?" Where's the journalism there? What exactly is he reporting on or hoping to unveil?

I don't disagree that Molyneux has been an unstable force who does a lot of damage to his reputation with his promises (and often drags his customers along with him, doubly so when his customers are also his financiers now that he has dipped his toe into crowd funding), but that interview felt more like an act of misdirection and bullying than an honest shake at reporting. (What in the world did Molyneux think he was walking into when agreeing to that interview? Surely not what the actual interview was, especially that first question!) I'm sure Walker felt it was his only recourse to get the answers he wanted out of Molyneux, but that doesn't mean that what Walker did was right.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Woffle posted:

The point seems to be taking a long-revered developer to task for (continually) not delivering something they promised, which basically no one in the games press has ever done. I agree the tone is weird and clearly Molyneux just took a "the press hates me" stance and probably won't learn anything from it, but it's someone in a higher position than a random internet commenter telling him "this is not alright" which gives more power to that argument. I don't know, I can see it going both ways.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I saw it as Walker standing in as the righteous anger of a slighted consumer. I though it was a lot of fun to read, but I love schadenfreude. I'd read a gently caress of a lot more gaming interviews if they were outright hostile like that one was. Although, I'd generally prefer a friendly interview if it was actually interesting like, I think Danielle did an interview for Polygon about the game design of Captain Toad that was real cool. Give me in depth insights into the game's development or give me something straight up fascinating to read.

Also this is probably unfair of me, but I just watched Nightcrawler, where Jake Gyllenhaal is a skeevy little gently caress who is just constantly running game on people and drat if I can't help but make the comparison to Molyneux.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
The purported problem with Molyneux is that you cannot believe a word he says. If that's your thesis, then an interview is the worst possible way to uncover some truth or persuade your readers. You're just giving him more opportunities to talk around you while you weaken your position by overtly trying to trap him. His word can't simultaneously be worthless AND powerful enough to undo him.

If the goal is to discredit Molyneux so that people won't be fooled again, you just let his actions do the talking for you. List his broken promises, in order, every time his name comes up. If it NEEDS to be an interview, talk to the people who have worked with him. Seems to me that's where the story is.

All of that is setting aside the fact that it seems gross (to me) to crusade against him so directly. It kind of seems like his star is falling of its own accord after a decade plus of nonstop scrutiny for failing to meet modern expectations. The conditions under which he thrived don't exist anymore. It's not quite kicking a man while he's down, but it's kicking him on the way down for almost no effect.

I feel goofy Monday morning quarterbacking a dumb and pointless interview, but everything about it is shamefully misguided. Nobody looks good.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

On a more positive note I loved hearing Kole just lose his poo poo completely at Gary's millennia-deep cut on Abject Suffering.

(BTW shark fins are delicious, at least if the eponymous soup is anything to go by, and goose tastes like evil duck IMO.)

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Podcasting is a journey of self discovery. I never knew I had such a soft spot for biblical goofs, but there we go.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!

Song For The Deaf posted:

The purported problem with Molyneux is that you cannot believe a word he says. If that's your thesis, then an interview is the worst possible way to uncover some truth or persuade your readers. You're just giving him more opportunities to talk around you while you weaken your position by overtly trying to trap him. His word can't simultaneously be worthless AND powerful enough to undo him.

If the goal is to discredit Molyneux so that people won't be fooled again, you just let his actions do the talking for you. List his broken promises, in order, every time his name comes up. If it NEEDS to be an interview, talk to the people who have worked with him. Seems to me that's where the story is.

Yeah, I'm still generally positive on the interview but those are probably the best points against it I've seen. Has anybody ever had an interview with a 22cans developer who wasn't Molyneux? Is he the sole person allowed to talk to people outside the studio?

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Shark Fin soup is cruel and should be abolished, but it tastes pretty good.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a reason why you can't just humanely kill the sharks like any other kind of fish? Like I know it's a thing that they defin the sharks and throw them back in the water to suffer an agonizing death, but I can't imagine any reason that makes sense to do it that way.

EDIT: VVV *knits fingers perversely* indeed

Baku fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Feb 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

It should also be noted I'm a huge softy and want to believe people aren't con-men. At some point it will probably gently caress me over but hopefully no time soon.

• Locked thread