Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cat Terrist posted:

I've been wandering around WRC pits and V8Supercars and 12 Hour and Lord knows what else. It still comes down to the racing and NASCAR on ovals is still absolute poo poo.

It needs to be the right ovals, but the problem is that they've taken just about all of the racing out of the current iteration of the car. Even a track like Phoenix which should allow a driver worth a drat to be able to make a move happen, is now a procession where outside of a yellow flag it's rare for a car to be closer than half a second to the next in front or back. Oval racing shouldn't be five hours of everyone waiting for the last 50 laps (gently caress you, Coca-Cola 600) before they think about doing much, it should be a run for the finish from the word go. Bonus points if you've got a crazy-eyed kid from Toowoomba doing his damnedest to prove to the world* that he's better than three second place finishes in a row.

*what little of it was watching

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Comrade Flynn posted:

Since I posted about it in here I ended up buying it:

:hfive:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

NitroSpazzz posted:

I think Knoxville is officially hosed. Right now we have two inches of "light" sleet sitting on a 1/4 inch of pure ice. The top layer is melting a little bit right now so when the temp drops it's going to make another layer of glaze ice. If this was WI it would be a poo poo load of snow but they DOT would be able to handle it.

I'm in our family cabin in Pigeon Forge right now. At the top of a mountain road with a 10 percent grade. In a Volt. I had planned to leave Saturday, but I may be stuck.

:ohdear:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Comrade Flynn posted:

I've owned some of the most impractical cars ever made and I've never regretted it. Except when the tire fell off my Lotus.
I've thought about selling off the fleet and buying something stupid a few times. I was very close to trading the M3 for a Ariel Atom last summer.

Comrade Flynn posted:

I'm absurdly cheap. I'm upgrading my 3 year old PC piece by piece because I'm too cheap to buy a whole new system.
This is the trick. Be cheap as poo poo so you can afford fun toys.

Goober Peas posted:

I'm in our family cabin in Pigeon Forge right now. At the top of a mountain road with a 10 percent grade. In a Volt. I had planned to leave Saturday, but I may be stuck.
Eh Saturday you should be ok. I was supposed to go to DC and drive back the M5 this weekend, now I'm not sure.

Thunder snow headed this way, should be a fun night.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Already seeing some thundersnow here. Between that and the ice sliding off the roof, it's kinda creepy (in the exciting kinda of way).

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Yesssssss

Goober Peas posted:

Better to be at the top of a mountain road in the winter, needing to get to the bottom, than the other way around.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

NitroSpazzz posted:

A few episodes in on this, good show so far. Thanks for the recommendation.

The show really hits its stride seasons 2 and 3. All other seasons have been far better than average television shows. It also has just enough oddball crap to keep from taking itself too seriously which is appreciated. Plus Natalie Zea is one of the finest women on TV.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

MrChips posted:

Yesssssss

Better to be at the top of a mountain road in the winter, needing to get to the bottom, than the other way around.

It's entertaining to watch the guesstometer on the incline - it drops about 1 mile of charge every 200 feet. It regains about 1 mile of charge every 500 feet on the trip back down.

The road is pretty unforgiving - it's one vehicle wide with dropoffs on both sides. I don't even like driving it at night. I'm definitely going to walk it before I try driving it, lest I yodeley guy off to eternity.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Comrade Flynn posted:

Very, except for the clutch which has already been replaced.

God drat its glorious. But I know super cars are hard as hell on clutches so that's a really huge bonus.

What kind of g forces does that thing corner at?

Solihull syndrome was avoided, no new rovers at my house. But I have been hankering for something with a small engine lately. I keep kicking around the idea of finding an early JD 140 and restoring it.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 17, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
YEAH GONNA SLAY SOME ORCS N poo poo

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Umm excuse me, I think you mean Octoroks :colbert:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Do you mean you're going to slay the Hero of Time? Because you clearly have Dark Link's sword.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I have an interview tomorrow at O'Reilly's Auto Parts. Any suggestions of general stuff to brush up on before I go in tomorrow morning?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Geirskogul posted:

Do you mean you're going to slay the Hero of Time? Because you clearly have Dark Link's sword.

Link's a huge bitch, he's going down.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Elmnt80 posted:

I have an interview tomorrow at O'Reilly's Auto Parts. Any suggestions of general stuff to brush up on before I go in tomorrow morning?

just walk in and start yelling
WAT MAKE MODEL YEAR? :downs:
DOES IT HAVE AIR CONDITIONING? :downs:
4 WHEEL DRIVE? :downs:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

kastein posted:

I just want them to hire me, not make me a manager. :haw:

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
SNOWPOCALYPSE 2015 :supaburn:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Goober Peas posted:

:colbert:

I haven't had any sugar (other than fruits) in 3 weeks. Ate some gelato on V-Day and had a major hangover. Headache, nausea, etc.

Yeah, I found that was the case after I quit drinking sugar soda. Any time I accidentally have one with a meal, there are nigh immediate intestinal consequences and a hangover. :stare:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Geirskogul posted:

Not a Countach, don't care (that's a joke, it is awesome).

Note: when an endodontist says "let's do all five root canals at one," they're probably also the type that refuses to prescribe any real painkillers. Walked out and noticed my rx was for 600mg ibuprofen.

Bump it up to 800. My last oral surgery, doc gave me a script for Norco 5. Didn't even loving touch the pain. I just ended up eating 4 Advil every 6-8 hours. It helped.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

kastein posted:

You need a headlight? Is that manual or auto?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

You need a headlight? Is that manual or auto?

*Throws three packets of anti-seize sparkplug grease into your pile of parts on the counter without telling you*

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Bump it up to 800. My last oral surgery, doc gave me a script for Norco 5. Didn't even loving touch the pain. I just ended up eating 4 Advil every 6-8 hours. It helped.

I'm a 68W. Trust me, I'm hitting the ibuprofen pretty hard. FML.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21gwxLZJROA

EDIT: whoa that thumbnail. Video is SFW, don't worry.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Geirskogul posted:

*Throws three packets of anti-seize sparkplug grease into your pile of parts on the counter without telling you*

No thanks, I bought the big jar :smuggo:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
$11 back on taxes this year, sometimes it sucks to be a single dude with no kids who doesn't own a house or go to college

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

rscott posted:

$11 back on taxes this year, sometimes it sucks to be a single dude with no kids who doesn't own a house or go to college

We figured out why I'm getting hosed on mine. Back in 2012 I worked my bar job 6 days over a three month period before quitting for good. I never got my W2 and forgot to put it on my taxes the next year. The IRS is pissed and I'm getting a fuckload of penalties over it.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

NitroSpazzz posted:

Thunder snow headed this way, should be a fun night.

Hello fellow knoxgoon! I'd never seen thunder snow before tonight. Was pretty cool. I went ice sledding with my roommate and only hurt myself a little!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

rscott posted:

Owe $45 for us this year. I always try to cut it close but no kids or mortgage interest to write off means we get hosed hard every year with our income.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
I got my offer for the new job today and accepted it. Got a legit clinical title with will go a long way for me in the future and about a 10% raise to go with it. It's a pretty good birthday present other than having to tell the director at the university in the morning.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Holdbrooks posted:

I got my offer for the new job today and accepted it. Got a legit clinical title with will go a long way for me in the future and about a 10% raise to go with it. It's a pretty good birthday present other than having to tell the director at the university in the morning.

Sweet, dude. Good job.

I went out to get the mail in my socks (it's February, suck it norms) and found a big friendly ol' dog wandering around the area. Threw the dog in the back of the car and went around looking for upset owners hunting for their dog, didn't find any and ended up dropping the dog off at the vet to be scanned/reunited. That's the second mutt in four months I've found wandering around.

He curled up in the back seat of the Impreza and went to sleep. :3:

Also today I saw a four-door Saab 900. I don't think I've ever seen one before. It looks so.. awkward.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 17, 2015

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

rscott posted:

I am a single dude with no kids who doesnt own a house or go to college and I got $1300 back. :whatup:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Comrade Flynn posted:

Since I posted about it in here I ended up buying it:

Meh, it ain't a biturbo.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Me and my wife have no house or kids and are still in school and we got $5,300 back :vince:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Tusen Takk posted:

Me and my wife have no house or kids and are still in school and we got $5,300 back :vince:

You need to adjust your withholding because giving the Feds a 5k interest free loan is nuts

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Bovril Delight posted:

You need to adjust your withholding because giving the Feds a 5k interest free loan is nuts

I think part of it was because paying interest on school loans and part of it was because my wife never changed her W4 from single to married.

Also I don't mind giving the government an interest free loan, it's an easy way to save money every year without thinking about it and not having to stress out about potentially owing them. Also, it's not like whatever interest I would gain at Chase is much better, and unless something awful happens the government isn't going to not be able to pay back the loan anytime soon, but to each his own :shrug:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Also today I saw a four-door Saab 900. I don't think I've ever seen one before. It looks so.. awkward.

See I hadn't seen a 2dr until fairly recently. It's a big part of the reason it took me so long to realize Saabs are cool, the 4-door 900 is so off-putting it can actually make you ignore the entire company.
It's sad too, because I had literally no idea about all the awesome stuff they did until after they were gone.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Bah, pulled apart the Midget's windshield frame and the screws holding it together at the bottom were all stripped out. I had to drill them out, and there's not enough left to grab onto! Fuckers... they're in these little angled brackets which would be cheap EXCEPT they're marked not available on Moss Motors.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/the-b...dium=socialflow

So being based off an S10 it would be easy to stuff a v8 in it right?

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Congrats man! It looks awesome! Have you planned where you plan to take it for maintenance? I've heard a lot of Italian owners in the area prefer Alfa of Tacoma. Are you going to DD it too? You DD'd the GTR didn't you?

Comrade Flynn posted:

Also if anyone is in Seattle I'm happy to take you out in it.

I feel like I'd be an idiot not to impose :) :dance:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

BrokenKnucklez posted:

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/the-b...dium=socialflow

So being based off an S10 it would be easy to stuff a v8 in it right?

Yep. :getin: I know there's at least two floating around the internet that have been converted to drag cars already.
Also RHD, so combined with the aluminum body it's got the most JDM street cred of any US-built utility vehicle.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I don't exactly keep up on fancy supercars I'll never own, but what kind/year lambo is that?

It's beautiful, btw :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Mat_Drinks posted:

Congrats man! It looks awesome! Have you planned where you plan to take it for maintenance? I've heard a lot of Italian owners in the area prefer Alfa of Tacoma. Are you going to DD it too? You DD'd the GTR didn't you?

I feel like I'd be an idiot not to impose :) :dance:

I work from home now so DDing isn't really what I do, but that's the plan. Have the lambo be "my" car.

• Locked thread