Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

richardfun posted:

I feel that in the first season, this show would have had the balls to keep the library and use it as a big new plot device to take the show in a new direction.

For a second, that's what I hoped would happen :sigh:

Hell, it feels like the library was a rejected part of an early pitch that they rewrote.

Anyone remember that great scene in season one when Ichabod started talking about how great Thomas Jefferson was and then Irving and Abby went off on him for hours? Where the hell was that attitude?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

BrianWilly posted:

I thought it was kinda interesting in the Orion episode where he mentioned how unusual it is for Witnesses to be proactively participating in the war against evil. Because, yeah, it kind of is, isn't it? Because they have no extra powers of any kind that would make them any more suited to fighting the supernatural than anyone else? All they really have is information. In particular, I feel like they've kind of...amplified...Ichabod's obscure occult knowledge base since the beginning of the show where he only kinda barely knew about the supernatural world and only because he had a bunch of smarter friends who knew more than he did.

Well, he does have an eidetic memory and they've looked at a ton of the occult books in the library . . . v:shobon:v

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
If they kept the library I would hope the show had the guts to kill the guys stuck down there.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

Remember the pilot?

Remember Headless with a shotgun?

Im right there with you :(

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The extended season really didn't help them any, should have stuck to 13 more focused episodes

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
What a bad episode. At least have the monsters getting killed cause damage to the power source keeping them undead through some sort of feedback instead of escaping safely by just walking out occasionally headshotting a zombie and then going back in again to destroy the place(without clearing it out first) because :byod: public safety hazard :byod:. There were so many more logical options to keep the library intact. Like, if only there was some automated portcullis that could be used to lock the zombies back in their ca... oh wait.

Also Henry tricking people into a blood pact with charm and some clever props is cool. Henry blood pacting people in their sleep is super loving lame.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Blowing it up was dumb, or at least not earned. The interval between finding the cool thing and sacrificing the cool thing was way too short.

As set up it makes sense that they couldn't keep it as a secret base. In the short term even if they stuck with the story of rabid animals attacking workers there would be investigators from a dozen different agencies down there. OSHA, animal control, search and rescue, all sorts of investigators. Not to mention the original engineering firm, who would still need to map the tunnels. Realistically once Abby reaches the surface Crane would have no more than an hour or two of privacy.

At the beginning of the episode they said the tunnels were going to be replaced by underground parking for a shopping mall. Within months there would be excavators who would either expose the chamber or accidentally destroy it. So even if they could use some trickery to keep everyone out it wouldn't matter soon. To keep the secret library intact they would need to somehow scuttle the plans for the mall.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Angela Christine posted:

At the beginning of the episode they said the tunnels were going to be replaced by underground parking for a shopping mall. Within months there would be excavators who would either expose the chamber or accidentally destroy it. So even if they could use some trickery to keep everyone out it wouldn't matter soon. To keep the secret library intact they would need to somehow scuttle the plans for the mall.
To be honest, this would have been an incredible arc. It would have been like those 80's comedies where the band of plucky misfits has to save their beloved summer camp/youth center/whatever.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Tupperwarez posted:

To be honest, this would have been an incredible arc. It would have been like those 80's comedies where the band of plucky misfits has to save their beloved summer camp/youth center/whatever.

"Saving our headquarters with a mere Talent Competition? Lieftenant, this is folly! To amass the capital required to sate these Developers' avarice...why, not a soul in our company can breakably-dance with the necessary skill!"

Across Sleepy Hollow, the Horseman of Death stirs. Free of Moloch, yet trapped in this headless form, Abraham sees his only chance to earn his redemption...

:slick:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

We need an actual headless version and f that.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Let's just get zombie / demon John Cho back into the mix. I was actually kinda disappointed with this episode.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
I'm really just not sure what happened to this episode. Yeah, fantasy show, suspension of disbelief is always a thing... but this is the first time I just couldn't even manage it.

They find a library of all the information they need, left just for them, with holodeck TJ as their librarian. Ok, fine. There are also horrible monsters down there, placed there to defend the library. Or maybe they were regular soldiers, who got mutated over time by the magic battery, unintentionally? So either it was a bad plan, or a stupid plan.

Either way, the Reavers are psychotic, damaged humans who attack spaceships and eat anyone they find. Wait, not spaceships, wrong Reavers. Sorry. Still, they had to be taken care of first even if the city workers weren't down there, so those three guys were almost a non-issue anyway, aside from getting that photographer into the show. (oh god, he's going to be a recurring character, isn't he?)

The effects showed a cone of light that tracked Holo-TJ, seemingly projecting just him, so the rest of the library should be real. At the end of the episode, the Reavers seem to be locked in the basement, behind a very sturdy-looking portcullis. At this point, unless there's some major factor we're not being told, nobody is in any immediate danger. Otherwise, Ichabod would be fighting off monsters, not getting time to say goodbye to Holo-TJ.

The Reavers seem to live in in the room with the battery, and they clearly have no desire to damage that, since they haven't in 200 years. The only problem is that they run amok and kill anyone who enters, because there's no way to lock them safely away. Except near the end, Holo-TJ just slams a portcullis down to seal the room. So he could do that at any time, he just... didn't?

So Ichabod, a brilliant intelligence agent and expert tactician, whips out a bomb and sets the timer for just one minute. The hologram duplicate of Thomas Jefferson, widely considered one of the absolute finest minds in American history, seems to agree that this is the best plan.

Better plans:

* Don't set the timer on the bomb yet. Hang around, talk to Holo-TJ, and take photos of as many of the important documents as possible. With Abbie and her badge running interference upstairs, that could buy a few hours. This is world-savingly important poo poo here, as determined by the guys who clearly knew what they were talking about. Yeah, it's some extra work, but seriously, look how much work Jefferson put in to get it this far.

* Set the timer on the bomb for maybe ten or twenty minutes, ask Holo-TJ which of the books and documents are the absolute most vital things to their mission, load as many of those as possible into a box or bag, and take them. Make more than one trip, if possible.

* Set the timer for maybe 5 minutes, ask Holo-TJ "Ok, what is the most important thing for us to know? Just tell me something. Tell me anything useful, because clearly you know important poo poo. Seriously, anything at all."

* Set the timer for one minute if that really must happen, and shove just any random poo poo into your pockets before running away. Absolutely anything in this room is at least potentially useful. Even if it's totally useless as supernatural intel, throwing an armload of genuine lost crap from the founding Fathers onto eBay could at least help Ichabod get a motorcycle or that house with the granite countertops.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 11, 2015

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Yeah, I'm watching the show for reactions to modern things and I hope that becomes more a focus. "Take New York in a day" with a modern battleship, indeed!

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
Even the B-story in this episode felt all wrong.

"Hey Jenny. So, yeah. I came back evil, found a rune thingy that was never shown to the audience or really hinted at until just now, and ended up good for a bit except when I wasn't. I'm about to go evil again, permanent-like. Decided that instead of telling you all of this information ASAP, it would be best to instead make up a totally unnecessary lie, even though you definitely would have helped me if you knew the truth. Also, if you had fallen for the story I (as still-Good Irving), was telling you, then I would have specifically avoided giving my dear friends any warning that I'll likely walk up to you guys in a couple days with a friendly smile and slit your throats. Yeah, this seemed like the best plan."

It feels like they meant to give Irving a proper arc, with some clues, maybe at least a mention of the magic rune beforehand, some kind of inner struggle. Even the scene where he finds the rune in a hidden compartment in a book felt like the search for it should have been a whole episode's B-story by itself. Instead they just burn through all of that in like three minutes of exposition. Really unsatisfying.

Either this was all a successful (if baffling) lie by Bad Irving, cleverly hidden by letting Jenny think she'd out-smarted him, or somehow everyone just got intensely stupid this week. Considering the events of the A-story, I'll have to assume it's just dumb.

I like this show quite a lot, but this particular episode's writing is just... what the gently caress?

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 11, 2015

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I hate to say it but the show is in the beginning of a nose dive. They should have stuck with less episodes this season

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I do hope they get a third season because I really would love to see them course correct. They could probably end the season on a good note but if they get to continue after that, that's what I'm more curious about.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007
Isn't this what Fox wanted them to do, go for self-contained stories that have little-to-no overarching plot relevance? I swear the head of Fox Television was quoted saying this a few weeks ago, along with intimating that the series wasn't going to get a third season because it was not performing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

This episode was not made in response to what Fox said. These episodes are made months in advance.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Beyond sane knolls posted:

Holy poo poo this episode killed it. loving rad.

Killed what, the show? Spellcaster was as bad as this season has been. The bad guy was literally Solomon Kane with a slight name change, the plot was ripped straight from Warlock and the special effects were awful. The only redeeming feature the episode had was John Noble.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
It was also really poorly paced. When they killed the bad guy they set up this really hastily made plan out of nowhere and then Ichabod was really emotional as if that guy was someone he knew for a while. The show has been nosediving hard after the midseason. And we though Hawley was as low as it could go...

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I still get the feeling they were ordered to off Moloch by midseason by the horrible douchebags running Fox. Like some higher up network exec who watched none of the episodes but saw Moloch in one of the trailers and said Oooo thats too scary, make someone else the overarching villain.

And the rest of the season is the writers trying to recover from having to toss several seasons of plots and rebuild from the ground up while trying to recapture the mojo of the first season but failing miserably..

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Binary Badger posted:

I still get the feeling they were ordered to off Moloch by midseason by the horrible douchebags running Fox. Like some higher up network exec who watched none of the episodes but saw Moloch in one of the trailers and said Oooo thats too scary, make someone else the overarching villain.

And the rest of the season is the writers trying to recover from having to toss several seasons of plots and rebuild from the ground up while trying to recapture the mojo of the first season but failing miserably..

Uh, hmm.

Nope?

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Jedit posted:

Killed what, the show? Spellcaster was as bad as this season has been. The bad guy was literally Solomon Kane with a slight name change, the plot was ripped straight from Warlock and the special effects were awful. The only redeeming feature the episode had was John Noble.

If bad special effects and plots/characters taken from other works bother you so much, why do you watch this show, which is 100% those things, at all?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's never get involved in a land war in Asia.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Jeremy, what did you do?!

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Of course, apparently no one has bother to let Katrina know that the only time witches get burned now is when they buy overpriced Henna ink at Hot Topic.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
oooo... batteries!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Irving is now a ninja?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

So.....witch racism.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

So.....which racism.

Washington reneged on lots of promises

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Maxwell Lord posted:

Irving is now a ninja?

I think he's more like Solid Snake.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Metal Gear Sleepy
-Colonial Paranormal Action-

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
I guess that's the end of Ichabbie

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
HENRY PARRISH!

That's some good shoutin'.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I think that even with car-splody powers, Katrina would still get her rear end beat by Juliette from Grimm.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

You know, I'm not even mad about Katrina's heel turn, I'm just happy things are happening.

Edit: Well....poo poo.

Edit: poo poo.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 17, 2015

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Well I can't say I saw that coming.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So... reversal of status quo with Abbie as the woman out of time during the War?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yes, interesting things are happening! I missed you, Sleepy!

Edit: Hahahaha nice mirror of the pilot.

Edit2: OH poo poo THEY EVEN HAVE SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Oh boy.

Hah, old timey Sympathy for the Devil cover.

• Locked thread