Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Did I lose consciousness for a few minutes or did they cut from people trying to hold the door shot into people waking up in the morning? Pretty sure none of them called for help either. The zombies are already trying to get in, just call for help, you aren't going to make the situation worse.

What a missed opportunity for some zombienado action though. I think they had already run out of money when they were filming these recent episodes.

Don't know much about making water safe to drink but couldn't they have just boiled it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I liked the plague of frogs Sasha found and God rewarding them with rain for not giving in to the temptation of the Gift From a Friend (Satan) and then God saving the faithful with the flood.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The whole episode was a metaphor for the group breaking down and losing hope then coming together as a unit to bar the door against the zombie herd that mysteriously found there way to them. At night. During a tornado. And specifically for Maggie, they conveniently found a bound/kidnapped zombie in the trunk of the car and one hiding out in the barn; all of which were references to whatshertitsblondegirl. And the barn. Which was a whatshertitsblondegirl reference to Daryl, who is just all out of tears and can't cry for anyone anymore.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gortarius posted:

Did I lose consciousness for a few minutes or did they cut from people trying to hold the door shot into people waking up in the morning? Pretty sure none of them called for help either. The zombies are already trying to get in, just call for help, you aren't going to make the situation worse.

This was a very confusing sequence that asks the audience to fill in the blanks due to time constraints. Basically what happened was that they held the door until the storm wiped the zombies out and then they all went to bed. I bet anything there was a deleted scene or two in that whole thing. Showing it would have taken too long though. Just one of the horrors of being on a t.v. network that requires advertising. Zombienado should have just been cut from the episode altogether in my opinion.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Tide posted:

the zombie herd that mysteriously found there way to them. At night. During a tornado.
They just wanted to come in out of the rain too.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Surlaw posted:

They just wanted to come in out of the rain too.

This was my exact thought during the show.

I also thought that it was just going to be a dream especially when it cut straight to Maggie waking up. But then it was real all along.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

I said come in! posted:

This was a very confusing sequence that asks the audience to fill in the blanks due to time constraints. Basically what happened was that they held the door until the storm wiped the zombies out and then they all went to bed. I bet anything there was a deleted scene or two in that whole thing. Showing it would have taken too long though. Just one of the horrors of being on a t.v. network that requires advertising. Zombienado should have just been cut from the episode altogether in my opinion.

Skipping the best parts has become a Walking Dead tradition.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
What happened outside is that Sylar and Peter Petrelli were finally having their showdown, so that's why it was so critical they all keep the door closed.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Z-Nation already did a Zombienado.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think it worked to cut from holding the door to morning. It was one of the very few things in the episode that worked.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It was better than last week, at least.

It was funny that whenever anything remotely active was going to happen, it was aborted. Will the dogs hurt anyone? BANG. Will the water kill Eugine? SLAP. How do they get out of this door-barring scene? EDIT. Where do we go from here? HI, I'm a new character!

But we get a lingering sequence where Maggie can't open a trunk. We get poking through the tornado aftermath. We get lethargic zombies, and the cast dragging themselves from scene to scene.

The pacing was rough, and the episode felt like filler. Rick had a good monologue about his grandad, but I couldn't understand 2/3ds of Daryl's lines. We ate them? What?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
They should have just let Eugene drink the water to see what happens, I mean, he got it all over his face so they may as well let him go whole hog.

inconsequential
Feb 6, 2004
The dialogue is bad. If they want it to be a character driven show, have characters. Most of what is said is metaphors and weird platitudes and doesn't at all resemble a conversation any human beings have ever had.

Also echoing this was filler. I think exploring starvation and the logistical hardships of this world would be cool but you need something to carry it and having people walk slowly and speak in long, drawn out boring speeches won't do that. It's like they were just wasting time. Considering the half season format with only 8 episodes it feels like they should have the opposite problem, especially since they have a million characters.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

This episode wasn't as bad as the last one, but goddamn everything about this show is just so lazy and sloppy. The dialogue is horrible, the characters are boring, the pace is shoddy, nothing is going anywhere. Their idea of character development is someone being really sad for like an entire minute.

But it's okay guys. We can make it through together, but first we have to make it through together (?????)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So I DVRed this last night because I wasn't home to watch it. Tried watching it last night before bed, and I got about 15 minutes in before passing out because it was so boring. Just finished watching it and it nearly put me to sleep this time too. NOTHING loving HAPPENED except for Rick saying "We are The Walking Dead" which is one of the most groanworthy moments in this show in a long time.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 17, 2015

eselbaum
Jul 4, 2009

*boop*

moths posted:

It was funny that whenever anything remotely active was going to happen, it was aborted. Will the dogs hurt anyone? BANG. Will the water kill Eugine? SLAP. How do they get out of this door-barring scene? EDIT. Where do we go from here? HI, I'm a new character!

But we get a lingering sequence where Maggie can't open a trunk. We get poking through the tornado aftermath. We get lethargic zombies, and the cast dragging themselves from scene to scene.

The pacing was rough, and the episode felt like filler. Rick had a good monologue about his grandad, but I couldn't understand 2/3ds of Daryl's lines. We ate them? What?

I think you kinda nailed it.

I get what they're trying to do in order to to progress the story and make it seem interesting, but the execution has altogether been terrible.

I wouldn't have even minded the last episode so much if they hadn't spent that much time on Tyreese's crazy fever dream. Ugh.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

moths posted:

Yeah, these are the main problems. You can do an episode like this, but it's a lot more effective if it isn't built around the cast walking down a road for about 2/3 of the runtime. I also had trouble hearing a lot of the dialog even with the sound turned up pretty high. Everyone was mumbling.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The issue is that this show hasn't earned the drama it's trying to portray right now. At best, before this point, it's been kitschy fun, with tiny glimpses at being really good. And then they try to do Breaking Bad style "artsy" episodes without building the character drama beforehand to earn it. It makes them boring instead of riveting because a lot of people don't care that much about the characters involved in these types of explorations.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

One of my problems with the episode was how dull and repetitive it was for the most part, and was pretty much 'sad people glaring at each other'. Oh look, Daryl goes into the woods alone to search fruitlessly and forlornly for the third time! *That*'s compelling television. And they just did the same thing for the 'big 3' sadsacks.

Gabriel tries to talk to Maggie, offer some comfort, Maggie glares and snaps.
Carol tries to talk to Daryl, Daryl gets scowly.
Carl tries to be nice to Maggie, she sorta shrugs him off.
Glenn tries to get Maggie to open up, she glares and snaps.
Noah tries to talk to Sasha, she glares, snaps, and implies he'll die like Tyreese.

Like, I understand that they're in a dire situation, and it was trying to show that the recent losses were impacting them, especially Maggie and Sasha, but eh. There was really no tension to it. And despite the fact the whole group was there, a lot of them did/said really nothing, just sat around and sweated.

When Eugene went for the mystery water, anybody else get the vibe it was because he decided if it *was* poisoned, he figured if he tested it, it'd kind of make up for the fact he had admitted he was a liar/ figured nobody would miss him if it was a trap?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
He's right for saying that if there's a trap, they're already in it.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

fleshweasel posted:

He's right for saying that if there's a trap, they're already in it.

Unfortunately, we are too.

We are the watching dredge.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Hexel posted:

I got the impression she was trying to disturb it or make noise to see if it was dead/alive or undead. We really havent seen any infected animals yet and I expect the show to deal with that question sooner or later.

With the glut of zombie projects in the last few years, has anyone done a thing about zombified animals? I don't mean all animals, I just mean one particular type.

Like if only humans can become zombies, then there's no reason why just one particular animal species could. Like a world where dead seagulls become zombies, flying around and pecking the flesh of the living. Humans wouldn't even get turned, it would just be really annoying.

edit: Apart from the fact that the scenery never changes so there's no impression they've actually travelled I have really liked these last two episodes.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 17, 2015

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

Senor Tron posted:

edit: Apart from the fact that the scenery never changes so there's no impression they've actually travelled I have really liked these last two episodes.

That same stretch of road they keep using (not in this episode, natch) has become a running observation in this house.

I don't begrudge them the location but the show's rural scenes do look very similar. I was pleased they went back to the city a short while back.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Gortarius posted:

Keep in mind these were magic zombies that could hear and smell living humans ( asleep ) during torrential downpour thunderstorm.

Pyramid Scheme
May 21, 2007

Pressed shirt guy was trailing them, keeping an eye of them, hauling gallons of water to them. Why didn't his hair get mussed up or his clothes soaked by the cyclone?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

So I DVRed this last night because I wasn't home to watch it. Tried watching it last night before bed, and I got about 15 minutes in before passing out because it was so boring. Just finished watching it and it nearly put me to sleep this time too. NOTHING loving HAPPENED except for Rick saying "We are The Walking Dead" which is one of the most groanworthy moments in this show in a long time.

On par easily with "they don't know who their messing with". "we are the walking dead".
Should have just made it one long statement back in the boxcar.

Pyramid Scheme posted:

Pressed shirt guy was trailing them, keeping an eye of them, hauling gallons of water to them. Why didn't his hair get mussed up or his clothes soaked by the cyclone?

Tyrese killed them all, they did not realize it, and pressed shirt guy is god.
Hence, the we are the walking dead line.

What happened to their vehicles?

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 17, 2015

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I was happy when Tyresse died. He was not cut out for this world and his pacifism got annoying as hell. He was dead weight.

Hexel posted:

We really havent seen any infected animals yet and I expect the show to deal with that question sooner or later.

I seem to recall an interview where they said they weren't going to have zombie animals.

Spoeank posted:

What happened outside is that Sylar and Peter Petrelli were finally having their showdown, so that's why it was so critical they all keep the door closed.

:golfclap:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Clearly this guy knows Rick's name because Morgan has told him it and to keep a look out for the group.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Fog Tripper posted:

Keep in mind these were magic zombies that could hear and smell living humans ( asleep ) during torrential downpour thunderstorm.
All zombies are magic.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

So the penguin from Gotham was on The Talking Dead, is it worth checking out?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

KilGrey posted:

So the penguin from Gotham was on The Talking Dead, is it worth checking out?

The actor is kind of a teeker and giggled a lot.

Also I know I keep pointing this out but Z-nation had zombie bears.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Surlaw posted:

All zombies are magic.

Some more than others.
Noah, a 100lb soaking wet kid, kills a walker with a model airplane.
Tyrese's zombie was clearly more magical and the 300lb heavyweight couldn't manage to push it away from himself.

Clearly the "heres the plan, push them down a slope" zombies were NOT magical.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Fog Tripper posted:

I got the impression it was more the banging door that attracted them.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Pyramid Scheme posted:

You could put a gay man through a mud marathon and they'd come out of it still looking immaculate.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Another thoughtful and good episode and goons can't stand it? What a surprise.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Fog Tripper posted:

Some more than others.
Noah, a 100lb soaking wet kid, kills a walker with a model airplane.
Tyrese's zombie was clearly more magical and the 300lb heavyweight couldn't manage to push it away from himself.

Clearly the "heres the plan, push them down a slope" zombies were NOT magical.

The bridge scene was clumsy and daft. Really reminded me of the well in season two. You'd think at the point it was storyboarded someone would say "actually, this is poo poo."

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Thoughtful and good? The gently caress was I watching?

Oh wait, thats right...

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

My new viewing plan is to watch the opening, and the last 5 minutes, gently caress the rest.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 17, 2015

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Nothing about it was really thoughtful though. You can easily make the argument why characters like Daryl are having these issues now, as opposed to earlier in the show's run. I mean it's been around 3 years at this point since the outbreak. Nothing here was earned.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Pacing is an issue on the show, and I think it will get worse and worse. Kirkman has said the idea behind the comic was to do a zombie story that never ended. Well, that's fine for the comic but I think it will be harder and harder for the TV show to find material to stretch over 16 episode seasons. Considering I think the show will end way before the comics I wonder if the writers have an idea for a satisfying ending to the series and have a basic idea of the plot beats that will lead up to it. If they are operating under the idea that the show will go on indefinitely, I think we are going to end up with this series having a rather lame ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

LadyPictureShow posted:

When Eugene went for the mystery water, anybody else get the vibe it was because he decided if it *was* poisoned, he figured if he tested it, it'd kind of make up for the fact he had admitted he was a liar/ figured nobody would miss him if it was a trap?

Absolutely. I think he was hoping the water was poison. One of the themes throughout the episode was giving up and committing suicide. Eugene was the closes out everyone to actually going through with it.

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Also I know I keep pointing this out but Z-nation had zombie bears.

Now that I know this, I feel less about the Walking Dead.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 17, 2015

• Locked thread