Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

MJBuddy posted:

I told my mom to get a reverse mortgage if she needed it to retire because I was going to sell her house if she left it to me.

She was a little stunned by it, but it ended up taking a bit of weight off of her because she has a personal desire to leave it to me and I don't want it.

Sometimes it's just good to talk about these things. Her home will mean a lot more to her emotionally. At least knowing she could reverse mortgage it if she needs money gives her a better retirement lifestyle option.

In relation to downsizing, I figured from this post that she isn't interested in downsizing and can afford to live in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

melon cat posted:

Heh, I agree completely. And in many cases, nobody's breaking even. Because you'll get a $30 gift card for a retailer/restaurant you don't go to, and you might buy them something similar. In the end, everyone's wasting money. It's part of the reason why I went the extra mile and convinced my family (despite their protests) to do an annual Secret Santa instead of getting 15 thoughtless gifts that will only end up being re-gifted, or getting sold at a garage sale. The amount of money (and time spent shopping) saved was incredible.

I'm a fan of the Chinese model of gift-giving. Gifts are given from the older to the lower generation and it's cash only.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
If you die with less than $100 to your name, that either means that you were flat broke for some period of time before death, or that you timed your retirement withdrawals perfectly :haw:

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

canyoneer posted:

If you die with less than $100 to your name, that either means that you were flat broke for some period of time before death, or that you timed your retirement withdrawals perfectly :haw:

Makes me think of a friends grandfather who was determined to leave nothing for when he'd end up in a rest home. He was literally drinking all of his remaining assets and having a great time.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Devian666 posted:

Sometimes it's just good to talk about these things. Her home will mean a lot more to her emotionally. At least knowing she could reverse mortgage it if she needs money gives her a better retirement lifestyle option.

In relation to downsizing, I figured from this post that she isn't interested in downsizing and can afford to live in it.

She's considering it and she might, but her psychological hang-up is that she's had a mortgage since just before I was born and has never completely owned her home. I could tell her about interest rates all day but it won't matter. She's BFC bad with money, and I try to help when I can but eh I'm not going to get in a raised voice argument over it and all things equal she'll be fine for retirement if nothing horrible comes her way so long as she doesn't take a loan on her 401k or anything like that and outlives my grandparents.

As far as downsizing: She'd have been fine to do that for years; I haven't spent more than a visit back home since 2010, but she likes her house, spent money putting in things she liked for it, and the last time she did that was right about when she sold her last house, so basically it would break her heart to finally solve the little home annoyances she's had and really like her house just to sell it again. It's not a monster-sized house or anything, but once my grandparents pass I'm hoping she'll come move around us in a small home/rental and retire (and provide free child care!).

My grandparents are immortal, however, so there's no timeline on that.

Devian666 posted:

Makes me think of a friends grandfather who was determined to leave nothing for when he'd end up in a rest home. He was literally drinking all of his remaining assets and having a great time.

I frequently say I'd like to burn through every dime before I die, but I recently had to explain to my wife that I'd never actually do it.

Because after 20-30 years of burning through my funds and making it explicitly clear to my kids that they'd get nothing, if I hosed up my math at all the second I needed help I'd imagine that they'd all let me burn. So conservative retirement fund portfolio it is.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
My wife and I are certain to inherit a pretty good amount of money when our parents die but being responsible sucks because it's not like I'll ever be able to spend it. I intend to leave more to my kids than what was left for me dammit.

Sometimes I actually get jealous of people who can throw caution to the wind and drive giant trucks and get expensive electronics and vacations that are hilariously out of line with their annual incomes. I almost had a breakdown a few months after I bought a $12k car which i could easily afford and budget for. I just can't imagine what goes on in people's minds as to what they'll do when they can no longer work

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

oxsnard posted:

I just can't imagine what goes on in people's minds as to what they'll do when they can no longer work

Heh, it's cute that you're thinking that they plan ahead at all.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Golluk posted:

Oddly enough I was talking to my co-worker who likes having a fancy summer car. He had bought one of the 60th anniversary Lotus Elise. Drove it for 5 months, tacking on 10k miles, then sold it for $15K more than he paid.

Now, in his case, his sister works at an exotic car dealership, so he gets good deals on buying. He also got approached by a rich car collector who wanted his (only 8 of that color, only one in NA, only 64 total cars world wide). He then replaced it with a year old Porche a doctor wanted sold, for 24K... Car was around 90K new. I know where I'm going if I ever want an expensive car on the cheap.

I've had 17ish cars and have only lost money on 2 of them.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

oxsnard posted:

My wife and I are certain to inherit a pretty good amount of money when our parents die but being responsible sucks because it's not like I'll ever be able to spend it. I intend to leave more to my kids than what was left for me dammit.

Sometimes I actually get jealous of people who can throw caution to the wind and drive giant trucks and get expensive electronics and vacations that are hilariously out of line with their annual incomes. I almost had a breakdown a few months after I bought a $12k car which i could easily afford and budget for. I just can't imagine what goes on in people's minds as to what they'll do when they can no longer work

Money does have a higher value right now at this instant. Just remember they'll be the sad old people that talk about how they had it all at the pub. When in fact they blew everything. When I talk about retirees eating dog roll consider that I'm not actually joking about it. People have little in the way of savings or assets (the house never sells for the price they wanted) and when money gets tight frying up a slice of rogue protein is the step before failing to pay your bills.

Buying truck equity is great if you enjoy eating pet food for 20-30 years.

You have raised a really important point in the being responsible and never being able to spend the money. Here's the thing; get a retirement calculator that allows you to put in age, expected lifetime, desired income for your entire retirement. The numbers generated are pretty interesting if you've never done it before. If you have an iphone/ipad with Numbers app there's a template for this that you just put the above into. You can work out what you need for your lifetime and any extra you could budget to spend on yourself.

Otherwise you might end up like the retired janitor who died at 95 with $8m in shares (his will donated the lot to charity, what a good guy). You can blow some of those future assets.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Comrade Flynn posted:

I've had 17ish cars and have only lost money on 2 of them.

That is impressive. However, have you properly calculated your expenses on the others?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Volmarias posted:

It's not just that he thinks that they're a luxury, it's that he doesn't understand what mensuration is.

If you spell it "mensuration", I begin to doubt that you know it, either. :crossarms:

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

SpelledBackwards posted:

If you spell it "mensuration", I begin to doubt that you know it, either. :crossarms:

Are we talking about Maturation of debt here? And all the money you bleed each month in interest payments?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Devian666 posted:

Not ambitious enough for me.

When I die, I want have my mourners to be very angry debt-collectors and repossession agents.

Puffins
Apr 29, 2009

Mantle posted:

Here are some questions I would ask myself if I were you in order to help me make a decision:

Is my student loan 1% for the entire life of the loan?
If not, what does the rate change to after I finish school?
How many more years do I have left at the 1% rate?
After I graduate, what are my student loan repayment terms? How much do I have to repay per month?
Can I get a non-field job and save up $2000 and get my license by the time I enter the workforce, as opposed to borrowing money to pay for licensing?
Do I need the license now or only by the time I graduate?
To answer these questions -
It varies - but historically the loan has a 30 odd year history with a 1.4 % top in the 80s. The rate does not change after I graduate to something higher, I also do not have to pay back the loans until the year after I last took financial aid from the state. All student loans here in Sweden have a 25 year repayment plan - unless you'll be 60 before that.

The repayment plan is around $1400 / year. Non-field jobs are very, very hard to come by where I live. The recession hit this place hard and competition for the few jobs that exist are insane - with the exception of the healthcare field, which is requires qualifications I do not have, or old-age care which requires a drivers license and is kinda-sorta in my field. Due to the nature of how student financing works here in Sweden I do not recieve any money during summers at all - which means I either have to find work, luck out on the few summer courses that exist or live on savings. This is why I'm considering getting the license before the summer since it would mean an almost guaranteed job due to the nature of my field (social work) coupled with the guaranteed 5-weeks vacation every regular gets during summers. Thus I'm weighting paying $140 in interest for the loan against what I could earn during summer.

I'm very hestitant to get into more debt, but at the same time it would improve my chances drastically at getting a job during summer and possibly also during the fall/spring. I do need a license before I graduate as well, since it's a base requirement in my field (with very very few exceptions).

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I worked with a guy who has the "had it all and lost it story" but I lost any pity I had for him when he told me the details. I guess he was in a car crash that he got a huge payout from (like a quarter mil payoff, he was in a coma for a month or something) and he blew through it all in less than three years and ended up having absolutely nothing to show for it, all the trucks and houses he bought got repossessed or whatever when he lost his "extremely stable job" he had at the time. I think he mouthed off to a CEO or something.

poo poo like that drives me absolutely nuts. It makes me so mad when people fall rear end backwards into a pile of cash and somehow piss it all away like loving morons.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

SpelledBackwards posted:

Phone posting, my phone keyboard got confused and I didn't proofread hard enough :cripes:

Menstruation.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!

oxsnard posted:

Which is a major contributing factor to why boomer children will not be better off than their parent; they spent all the drat money. I've been a little angry about this lately as I'm watching my grandparent's fortune get whittled to nothing and given my mother's lack of regrets regarding the situation, I know the same fate will be left to me.

Not me. Part of my financial planning for retirement goes beyond the day I die. My heir should benefit from my works and I hope they do the same for theirs. Those loving HENRYs have a real opportunity to create wealth in their family but they'd rather a bigger house and fancy cars I'm sure.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Aristotle Animes posted:

Which is a major contributing factor to why boomer children will not be better off than their parent; they spent all the drat money. I've been a little angry about this lately as I'm watching my grandparent's fortune get whittled to nothing and given my mother's lack of regrets regarding the situation, I know the same fate will be left to me.

Not me. Part of my financial planning for retirement goes beyond the day I die. My heir should benefit from my works and I hope they do the same for theirs. Those loving HENRYs have a real opportunity to create wealth in their family but they'd rather a bigger house and fancy cars I'm sure.
If you die with money and want it spent wisely then you have to form a trust. People get lovely around money and it will tear your family apart otherwise.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

poo poo like that drives me absolutely nuts. It makes me so mad when people fall rear end backwards into a pile of cash and somehow piss it all away like loving morons.

Keep in mind that there are many thriving industries based solely around extracting as much as possible out of Joe Blow's windfalls. People who fall into a big hunk of cash usually don't have to look very far to find somewhere inviting to spend it, and the average person has no real perspective on how quickly money can go away.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

What part of "It's my money and I want it now" do you not understand? That truck equity ain't going to buy itself.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I know I'm a fuckhead entitled moocher, but my parents are extremely wealthy and I've thought about how nice it would be for them to sock away 2-3% of their fortune on a retirement account for me. They've never given me job connections, house down payments, cars, etc. But the feeling of knowing that I won't be eating catfood when I retire (despite saving 30% or so of my post tax income) would be awesome. Oh well, they said they're going to die broke, so better start saving.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

SpelledBackwards posted:

What part of "It's my money and I want it now" do you not understand? That truck equity ain't going to buy itself.

CALL J.G. WENTWORTH

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It came from reddit: lightning round. Pissing off your boss is bad with money.

quote:

I work for a small software development company. The owner decided to take us (about 20 employees) out for lunch. My co-worker (new to the company, recent grad, huge ego) ordered a beer. The owner stopped him mid-order and said in a jovial way, "Oh, we don't drink on the clock, haha!" The co-worker finishes ordering a beer. The owner says, "Come on, don't drink on company time!" The co-worker tells the owner all about how beer hardly affects him and he'll be fine having a beer or two for lunch. The owner says basically, "Let me be clear. Do not order a beer again. Do not drink on your lunch break."

Some other conversation comes up and they stop talking about the beer. The beer comes, the co-worker drinks it, the boss stews a bit.

Then he orders a second beer. This time the owner stops the server and tells him not to bring a beer. The co-worker starts arguing with the boss about how he used to work for a company that had a fridge full of beer for employees to drink at work. The owner says, "I don't care, we are a federal contractor, you are not drinking at work." So the co-worker pulls out his phone and pulls up a news article about how "even Target" let's their co-workers have a certain blood alcohol level (.02 or something).

The server, meanwhile, had wandered off and did his best to avoid that side of the table. Co-worker didn't get his second beer but he did get fired pretty quickly after that.

quote:

I had a boss that used to brag about drinking some really expensive cognac. I think it was Louie the 13th or something.

So, after a contract ends, he takes us all out to dinner. Once there, he orders 2 bottles of red wine for the table. One of my coworkers was already a little drunk and orders the Louie 13th for himself. I don't know if he thought the boss would be impressed or what. But our boss didn't find out until he was halfway done with his second glass!

Needless to say our boss was furious. He still paid the bill, but that coworker was only with the firm a couple more weeks.
(This was not the first or second thing he'd done to get fired though.)
Louis XIII costs ~$2000 a bottle, according to further comments. :signings:

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Funny, I had the opposite problem at a work lunch where some high level executives from Spain came in and after we all ordered our sodas, looked at us as if we were insane, and ordered up beer.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
That's funny. We have vendors come in all the time and they're always trying to get us to drink crazy stuff with them - Pappy Van Winkle was the drink of choice last time. I think it's around $80/serving?

Just in case you were wondering whether business decisions were made based on the needs of the company, and not the vendor who doles out the best swag.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Haifisch posted:

Louis XIII costs ~$2000 a bottle, according to further comments. :signings:

I would have paid good money to witness the first one, just to know what a guy that smug sounds like

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Haifisch posted:

How tone deaf can a person possibly be.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Software engineers.

(Not all of you, but all of you have "that" coworker)

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Radbot posted:

I know I'm a fuckhead entitled moocher, but my parents are extremely wealthy and I've thought about how nice it would be for them to sock away 2-3% of their fortune on a retirement account for me. They've never given me job connections, house down payments, cars, etc. But the feeling of knowing that I won't be eating catfood when I retire (despite saving 30% or so of my post tax income) would be awesome. Oh well, they said they're going to die broke, so better start saving.

Eh it's a bummer but it's their money.

My grandparents are same net result, except they claim they're passing everything down, but they invest it horribly (overly conservative) and then complain to me about their bad return. It only infuriates me because I'm carrying student loans and if they'd let me pay them instead and helped me pay the stupid loans off via a de facto refinance I could quadruple their monthly on that amount of money.

RE: Drinking at lunch. I follow our client. If he orders a beer I'll order one with him, whether it's after work or at lunch. He feels a single beer is acceptable and frequently I'll still pass for a ton of reasons, but when we all went to take a working lunch to watch the World Cup matches? No problem from him. I'd never ever be the first to drink in the room.

MJBuddy fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 17, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Firing an employee because they have a beer at lunch (even if they have the petty argument) seems pretty bad with money on the company's part too. It's one thing to fire them because of their ego but how did they not figure that out in the interview?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
No I think the boss was completely in the right there. The company was paying for the lunch and counting it as company time. For him to ignore his boss's requests repeatedly - especially if they're as reasonable as "don't use my money to buy beer and drink while you're at work when none of the rest of us are" - how could the boss feel the employee would respect him and follow his orders in the future?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Nail Rat posted:

No I think the boss was completely in the right there. The company was paying for the lunch and counting it as company time. For him to ignore his boss's requests repeatedly - especially if they're as reasonable as "don't use my money to buy beer and drink while you're at work when none of the rest of us are" - how could the boss feel the employee would respect him and follow his orders in the future?

Yeah obviously the guy has a huge ego problem and no tact but how was that not figured out during the interview process? That's like, the primary purpose of having an interview in the first place. I have to assume they knew that and hired him anyway and the boss mainly acted towards the personal affront and not the underlying personality which they had already decided to cope with.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah obviously the guy has a huge ego problem and no tact but how was that not figured out during the interview process? That's like, the primary purpose of having an interview in the first place. I have to assume they knew that and hired him anyway and the boss mainly acted towards the personal affront and not the underlying personality.

Our last best candidate for a hire had a few things I noted as possible concerns and it became painfully obvious to my boss that it was worse than I expected (and she didn't think those tells meant anything).

Happens? She was still the best qualified and if her position didn't get basically terminated due to bad luck we'd probably have to address it.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Yeah obviously the guy has a huge ego problem and no tact but how was that not figured out during the interview process? That's like, the primary purpose of having an interview in the first place. I have to assume they knew that and hired him anyway and the boss mainly acted towards the personal affront and not the underlying personality which they had already decided to cope with.

I've never had "do you feel a bizarre obligation to drink alcohol all the time" come up during an interview. You can't figure everything out during an interview.

It's possible the guy didn't act like this usually but just felt like he deserved to kick back with a couple of beers and was trying to change the company culture to be like that, and couldn't take no for an answer.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I remember hearing a story third hand about an undergrad doing an internship at some Wall Street firm. It was impressed upon him that whenever he was going out at a work function with management, he should be ordering a MAN'S DRINK. Nobody would respect the guy ordering an appletini.
So, he's at lunch with some big shots from the firm doing a networking thing with the interns, and the server asks for drink orders, starting with him. He orders a scotch on the rocks. The bosses all order Diet Coke or water with lemon, because it's 11:00 on a Tuesday.

I heard secondhand about an intern at my job make a sexist joke during a lunch with senior management. He had spilled something on his shirt, and someone pipes up to soothe the embarrassment about how to remove the stain. He says "I don't need to know how to remove a stain. What else is the woman in my house supposed to do?"
The most senior manager at the table is a woman. She also is heavily involved in corporate recruiting and retention efforts for women and underrepresented minorities in our industry.
He didn't get invited back for a full-time position.

And here's a dummy that doesn't know how NDAs work.
http://www.dailydot.com/news/google-employee-fired-reddit-post/

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Nail Rat posted:

I've never had "do you feel a bizarre obligation to drink alcohol all the time" come up during an interview. You can't figure everything out during an interview.

It's possible the guy didn't act like this usually but just felt like he deserved to kick back with a couple of beers and was trying to change the company culture to be like that, and couldn't take no for an answer.

My point is that, if it's just the alcohol itself, it makes no sense. What almost certainly did come up in the interview was the guy's attitude - no way did his personality flip overnight after he interviewed, that sort of thing shows through. Determining things like that about someone is why you are interviewing them(outside of basic competence) so I can't imagine they would have missed it. To me the simplest explanation there is that the company felt they could manage that, but the owner took it personally when exposed to it himself and that was it. I could be wrong but I'd love to see the interview notes on that guy.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
To be fair, the dude in question was pushing his luck in multiple ways, the beer story was just the funniest part.

quote:

Well, the people on the other end didn't really know what was going on. I was sitting close to them and it was really awkward. Lots of eye contact avoidance. And then we all gossiped about it later.

The thing is, this guy was exactly how I picture one of the really douchey Redditors in real life. The very first time we had a casual conversation, he told me about all the weed he smoked and how everyone in California smoked weed and the cops didn't give a poo poo (we were in Virginia). He had literally no reason to assume I'd be okay with weed, which I am, but it takes some serious stupidity to just randomly talk about your illegal weed smoking with a co-worker you've barely met, you know?

And he kept insisting on working late even after he was reprimanded for it. He worked on a government contract and the company wasn't allowed to bill the government for more than 8 hours per day for him. So if he worked 10, that meant he'd cost the company two hours worth of labor. This was explained to him very explicitly - you do not work more than 8 hours a day.

Yet he continued to work late, in an apparent bid to impress the boss, because he bragged to a couple of other co-workers about how he was going to get promoted to Project Manager soon (from junior developer) because he was the only one willing to work those extra hours.
Just a caricature of a human being.
Not the brightest bulb in the drawer. Should they have figured that out in the interview? Maybe, but the poster later mentions that their company hired lots of new grads, so they're probably used to having to whip people into shape a little.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Good with money: My wife's grandparents who retired in their late 50's, saved a lot of money and now have a kickass retired life - Grampa has lots of classic cars he tinkers with (57 Bel-Aire, 57 Thunderbird, 60 C-10 pickup) and Granny enjoys doing all her grandma craft things. They have a vacation home in Arkansas (paid for), their house in Texas (paid for) and a rental house across town (paid for).

Bad with money: their daughter, my mother-in-law, who decided that they're way too frugal, and went and bought a $5000 diamond ring for Granny for her parent's 50th wedding anniversary. She then made Grampa reimburse her for the ring.

She's also an ICU nurse that works weekends and overnights for bonus pay and even though she makes nearly six figures with all the bonus pay, she lives paycheck to paycheck. I'll write more later because there's so many "bad with money" stories about her.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

My point is that, if it's just the alcohol itself, it makes no sense. What almost certainly did come up in the interview was the guy's attitude - no way did his personality flip overnight after he interviewed, that sort of thing shows through. Determining things like that about someone is why you are interviewing them(outside of basic competence) so I can't imagine they would have missed it. To me the simplest explanation there is that the company felt they could manage that, but the owner took it personally when exposed to it himself and that was it. I could be wrong but I'd love to see the interview notes on that guy.

I'm guessing this was for some kind of tech job, and a lot of people expect engineers to seem a a little weird anyway, so any eyebrow-raisers during the interview might have just been shrugged off. Then again, it's also possible that the dude was on his best behavior during the interview, and thought that once he was on the inside he could do no wrong. Lots of new grads mess up in that way, though usually not as monumentally.

edit: Just read Haifisch's update, sounds like he was just a douchey west-coaster trying to bring startup culture to a DC firm. That poo poo does not fly around here, and you're right, it's a little weird that that kind of vibe was not picked up during the interview.

Not a Children fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Not a Children posted:

Then again, it's also possible that the dude was on his best behavior during the interview, and thought that once he was on the inside he could do no wrong. Lots of new grads mess up in that way, though usually not as monumentally.

Who doesn't put on a facade for job interviews?

Even the weirdest members of my team don't go full on weirdo until a few months in until they learn what they can and can net get away with. I have one person here in particular who was the quietest, nicest, and most normal guy for the first two months I knew him, and now I'll go as far as to say he's the strangest person I've met in my life.

• Locked thread