Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

cremnob posted:

it would be funny to know if the average google employee realizes they work for the new microsoft or not.

yes most of them are aware they work for a good company that isn't going away anytime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW

i owned you so hard all you can do is laugh.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

lol business insider

lmfaoooooooooooooooo

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Wootman posted:

i owned you so hard all you can do is laugh.

i lol cause android directly contributes to the ad margin decline

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

cremnob posted:

google reports sites and network. sites is what they operate, network is everyone else
holy poo poo cremnob is right

they're structuring their earnings reports to bury declines in display ads inside the otherwise healthy search division

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
this is like when hp used to put their pc and printer earnings in the same division to hide the sea of red in PCs

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

u cant know that anyway with how they report it. mobile is dumpstering their CPC and thats going to be the same for adwords as well as display ads

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
It's like stymie thunderdome in here

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

firefox has yahoo search as default, google is dead

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Microsoft will fork chrome and release a lighter version that blocks Google ads

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
wait I mean Facebook

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Management posted:

why would they fork the worst current rendering engine

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

chrome is v bad

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

purge it from the earth

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW
i like chrome

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
chrome is the best browser, easily.

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW

Smythe posted:

chrome is the best browser, easily.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i feel reall bad for the morons who dont use chrome (easily the best broser, by a country mile) out of some dumb idealogical idiocy. "hurrrr flurrr" *long string of drool rags on the floor before being retracted into mouth, with dirt and stuff on it)* " chrome sucks, its way worse than a browser that uses the same reendering engine but doesnt have good syncing, a good omnibar, or good plugins. plugins and funtcaionarily is for loser human being. *pulls long nose hairs into mouth with tongue to suck off the snot and boogers off them* "safari or firefox or whatever ftw"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

chome

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
best browser, first place at the special olympics, etc

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
ie could theoretically be good if it wasn't being developed by Microsoft

Firefox is absolute garbage

Safari is ok but that's more because all other mac browsers are really bad

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Who is going to get the post # of the beast 6666

oh, now that I chked the thread the beast this g doesn't work.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

uncurable mlady posted:

i had to use a mac last year and safari was dogshit. so loving slow. my needs were not suited

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

uncurable mlady posted:

firefox is absolute garbage and still the best, its a fuckin shame

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW
Firefox is absolute garbage and it's the 2nd worst browser lol.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Smythe posted:

i feel reall bad for the morons who dont use chrome (easily the best broser, by a country mile) out of some dumb idealogical idiocy. "hurrrr flurrr" *long string of drool rags on the floor before being retracted into mouth, with dirt and stuff on it)* " chrome sucks, its way worse than a browser that uses the same reendering engine but doesnt have good syncing, a good omnibar, or good plugins. plugins and funtcaionarily is for loser human being. *pulls long nose hairs into mouth with tongue to suck off the snot and boogers off them* "safari or firefox or whatever ftw"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The Management posted:

Still waiting on some US based ISP to start offering router-based adblocking. a French ISP did it to force Google to the table and turned it off after getting blowback but also after apparently getting the talks they wanted.

I do wonder if an ISP would fall afoul of any of the proposed net neutrality regulations by performing adblock that a customer requested. Any opinions Fishmech? Would allowing an opt out be enough? Perhaps just a first-connection landing page with links to adblockers for whatever useragent is detected?

Perhaps just a fever dream of mine.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shifty Pony posted:

Still waiting on some US based ISP to start offering router-based adblocking. a French ISP did it to force Google to the table and turned it off after getting blowback but also after apparently getting the talks they wanted.

I do wonder if an ISP would fall afoul of any of the proposed net neutrality regulations by performing adblock that a customer requested. Any opinions Fishmech? Would allowing an opt out be enough? Perhaps just a first-connection landing page with links to adblockers for whatever useragent is detected?

Perhaps just a fever dream of mine.

there are already "christian" isps out there with mandatory filtering for "adult content" so it's presumably legal.
http://www.hisnet.org/home.htm

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

wow that looks totally rad

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Nintendo Kid posted:

there are already "christian" isps out there with mandatory filtering for "adult content" so it's presumably legal.

i'm the third of the screen devoted to a gradient

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
this thread have its own bingo card yet? it loving should

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

browsin from this right now itt

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

cremnob posted:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/15/8039801/google-helpouts-shutdown-april-20
i literally lol every time i read about google shutting some project down. they throw things at the wall to see if it sticks but they have too much institutional ADD to see anything through. i bet the people that worked on this thing moved on to other things in google within a few months of it launching or left the company for some random startup. google has no real culture or organizational values (other than cargo cult dot com startup culture) and i lol at the idea that somehow google is going to execute successfully on something like driverless cars. everyone that starts a project wont even be with the company in 5 years http://techcrunch.com/2014/09/23/google-x-founder-sebastian-thrun-has-left-his-role-as-google-vp-and-fellow/

why don't you submit it to the site you lazy rear end, like I told you to on Twitter

http://didgoogleshutdown.com/submit

I basically made this site for you personally. you can type out this screed but not take 1 minute to put it on the site? it's like you have ADD.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

idk ill do it next t ime i guess

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Boxturret posted:

i'm the third of the screen devoted to a gradient

as legal as Mormon-friendly edits of major motion pictures (not at all legal but exists pending the MPAA finding out where Elder Larry is manufacturing and stockpiling the stuff)

PleasureKevin fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 17, 2015

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

do it loving now poo poo head its one link away and mobile friendly

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

cremnob posted:

actually that very thought scares google to death which is why fuzzy mammal just ignores questions about whether googlers actually think they're working for an innovative tech company. some of them may be still deluded, but at least externally ppl are starting to become cognizant of the fact that they are the new microsoft. google x pr labs was designed to combat this very perception from taking hold to retain employees and still be an attractive place to work in the eyes of silicon valley cause they've bled lots of A-players to facebook and others for years (which is itself a microsoft tactic). "googley culture" is just generic internet startup culture because thats what google the company is. its a bunch of disparate groups operating separately with no real vision. here's the latest evidence of that

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/15/8039801/google-helpouts-shutdown-april-20

i literally lol every time i read about google shutting some project down. they throw things at the wall to see if it sticks but they have too much institutional ADD to see anything through. i bet the people that worked on this thing moved on to other things in google within a few months of it launching or left the company for some random startup. google has no real culture or organizational values (other than cargo cult dot com startup culture) and i lol at the idea that somehow google is going to execute successfully on something like driverless cars. everyone that starts a project wont even be with the company in 5 years http://techcrunch.com/2014/09/23/google-x-founder-sebastian-thrun-has-left-his-role-as-google-vp-and-fellow/

LOL. hmm yea we could do an uber copy or maybe license the tech to other car companies idk

the company is so much like microsoft its uncanny, except for the part where microsoft dominated their space for 30 years before they got completely eclipsed by mobile. google's core business on the other hand is showing cracks as other companies have sprung up and started taking those ad dollars.

did you type this with your left hand or your right one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
cremnob died with steve jobs, naught is left but an angry shade, confused into thinking it can bring down the company he sees as repsonsible

• Locked thread