Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Final Fantasy VII is just such a serious game guys. I don't get why the writers put such a silly character in their incredibly serious game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I don't like Cait Sith very much either, but replacing him with Judas McBackstabber isn't the correct solution.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
to be fair though if any FF game needs a retranslation it's definitely VII

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
there is no correct solution cait sith owns bones

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The thing I will always love about that is how they seem to claim they know sooooo much about FFVII, and what it was truly supposed to be, and yet sit there and say Cait Sith was a useless character, shoehorned in at the last moment. When Reeve and Cait Sith's roles in the story have pretty much never changed from the earliest drafts. The only thing that really changed was what Cait Sith is and how Reeve controlled it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

there is no correct solution cait sith owns bones

No he doesn't, he's stuffed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't like Cait Sith much myself but he fits right in with the insane absurdity of the rest of the FFVII cast.

I'm sorry my vampire-turk who turns into Jason is just a far more serious character and I will thank you to take him seriously. So is my wacky materia-stealing thief.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
What's wrong with Cait Sith. why don't you all love him

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The scene where you have to ride a dolphin is a truly moving piece of art, one for the ages.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

What's wrong with Cait Sith. why don't you all love him

I don't like his limit breaks.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

AngryRobotsInc posted:

The scene where you have to ride a dolphin is a truly moving piece of art, one for the ages.

I like that Tifa's limit break features punching enemies with a dolphin that launches from the earth itself with water effects.

FFVII: Dolphins are tough.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

AngryRobotsInc posted:

It's Mr. Dolphin :colbert:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ImpAtom posted:

I don't like his limit breaks.

Dice is great!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Doc Morbid posted:

It's Mr. Dolphin :colbert:

I believe you'll find that in the Japanese version it was Dolphin-san so in order to properly the tone of the character we've chosen to translate it as Dolphin-Pal.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

You know, i was gonna say Cait Sith joining the party was pretty stupid and that's why I didn't like him but then I thought about how Yuffie and Vincent joined the party and suddenly "hey, I'm a fortune-telling robot, gonna travel with you so i can see how my fortune plays out" isn't so different after all.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

As you can see, all artwork fully shows the serious nature of the story.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

TARDISman posted:

And that's only the original version I think, didn't they redub Second Story for the PSP version? Or was he always voiced by Spike Spencer?

They did redub it for Second Story, apparently the PS1's VA was Jimmy Freeman, which is either a fake name used due to union rules or just some nobody since even the Wikipedia link on his name goes to a 63 year old former pitcher for the Atlanta Braves. Either way it's definitely not Spike Spencer in the original.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

The scene where Cloud gets into a hot tub with a bunch of naked gay men is deep and meaningful and how dare you claim it to be silly and light-hearted.

Cait Sith is cool because during the Temple of the Ancients he makes this big speech about how he's going to sacrifice himself and he'll never forget everybody and gosh this is what it feels like to be a hero and then afterwards he comes walking up going "Hey I'm the second Cait Sith model how's it going?"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They even made him trip and slowly get up for dramatic effect. It just really drove home that classic Japanese folk tale of the robot puppet heroically sacrificing itself to be crushed by a magically shrinking temple that also serves to call down the holy fires from the heavens. Just simple storytelling done right.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
In a way, I'm kind of sad the Iscar Matthias thing isn't happening. It would have been a spectacular amount of work for an abysmally, uproariously low payoff and the concept of that thing existing would have been... I don't know. Some Andy Kaufman poo poo I guess. The world would have been a funnier place if some nerd with a hate boner for a comic relief character from a videogame released twenty years ago had ended up putting in the however many hours it would've taken for nobody to enjoy his effort.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

so am i the only one who noticed 'but for meow'

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

Oh, I noticed it. I guess it's supposed to be a prod at Cait Sith somehow? I haven't played VII in a while, so I can't remember if 'meow' was a thing with him.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Endorph posted:

I copy-pasted from a forum that has a word filter that changes all instances of now to meow to gently caress with people

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i used cait sith and vincent in the final battle because it was funny

his limit breaks suck but it's not like ff7 is hard enough that you need them anyway

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Endorph posted:

I was just about to mention that.

I wonder how that guy is translating the Honey Bee Inn stuff, or Cloud crossdressing. Will Cloud still mosey?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

For Meow

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I want to know what they did with "Would you stop acting like a retard and climb?"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This forum is so confusing. On the one hand, everyone bitches about FFVII's translation. Then they go and talk about let's mosey which is why FFVII's translation is the best.

But don't listen to me, I'm the guy who played FFVII about a half dozen times without ever noticing that they sometimes spelled it "Mateor"."

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

This forum is so confusing. On the one hand, everyone bitches about FFVII's translation. Then they go and talk about let's mosey which is why FFVII's translation is the best.

Hmm it's almost as if they like some parts of the translation but also don't like other, different parts of the translation. Weird stuff.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
"Let's mosey" and bits of character like that are great. Typos and obscured plot points because the translation was banged out in an evening in Square's basement is not.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Jason stabbing Sephiroth to death is very serious and believable imho

Crime Hazard

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I feel like if Climhazzard was a mistake it would have gotten fixed in one of the like four or five other games it appears in

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

But don't listen to me, I'm the guy who played FFVII about a half dozen times without ever noticing that they sometimes spelled it "Mateor"."
"Let's mosey" is goofy as all hell but still conveys exactly what it needs to. The translation has problems but moseying ain't one.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I want to know what they did with "Would you stop acting like a retard and climb?"

"Werest thou born with an extra copy of chromosome 21? Tis in mine sckylled opignyonne that climbing is our only recourse."

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I played some of the original Theatrhythm just for the hell of it a little bit ago and I'm still annoyed by the fact that The Extreme cuts off right before the best part.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Y'know, imagine if some square games were designed like this today just with fancy textures...I'd play 'em. At least it's not all belts and zippers heh.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

I played some of the original Theatrhythm just for the hell of it a little bit ago and I'm still annoyed by the fact that The Extreme cuts off right before the best part.

This is main main problem with the game and why I hesitate to buy it (that and I still don't have a 3DS, which will probably change shortly) - if I just want to listen to music I have OSTs for that, but "playing" the songs, as it were, seems far better; but then, you get essentially cut down versions and I'm sad. Dissidia tracks don't have this problem, and there are very few tracks in FF that have loops more than 3-4 minutes long, so I don't really understand why wouldn't they release some kind of "endurance versions" or something like that.

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Feb 17, 2015

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
If you're posting in this thread and don't own Curtain Call, something has gone horribly wrong in your life.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kanfy posted:

If you're posting in this thread something has gone horribly wrong in your life.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kanfy posted:

something has gone horribly wrong in your life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
That's a given, but I still would like to have to full long songs in Theatrhytm, like The Extreme or Dancing Mad.