Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
The antenna would be fine if the crews stopped landing on the dang arrestor cable. And yeah UHF is pretty much LOS and when you're in the air, you wanna have a clean signal to tower who is gonna be below you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

PO was a redneck.

After reading this thread for so long, I'm way more excited than I should be to share a failure I discoveredeven if it's relatively small

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

PO was a redneck.

After reading this thread for so long, I'm way more excited than I should be to share a failure I discoveredeven if it's relatively small

Coat hanger wire for battery terminals? Holy poo poo :stare:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Went out for dinner with the folks last night and drove their 1998 Accord. I swore to god that thing had no headlights at all and told dad to come by our place today to check the car out. He didn't think there was a problem because "whenever they change the oil they check the lights" :v:

Pics to follow (they are actually in my garage trash but I should pull them) but the 9005 and 9006 bulbs were original from 1998 when they moved to Belize and drove the Accord there and back, several times since. They still worked (sorta) but had a definite black tinge to them and a couple had a couple of melted glass bulges.

I can picture the Honda oil guy saying "OK, turn on your lights" and seeing something resembling "light" so A-OK. Check. I was kind of surprised they weren't blown.

It's got some fresh Walmart Sylvania Specials in them right now so while not exactly high-end, they'll look like awesome HIDZ to the folks I'm sure.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

SperginMcBadposter posted:

I'm pretty scared of what else will be uncovered when I take it to the shop. This is roughly the limit of what I can accomplish in my apartment garage parking spot.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Yeah that's a pretty good find, actually.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

PO was a redneck.

After reading this thread for so long, I'm way more excited than I should be to share a failure I discovered… even if it's relatively small

This ranks up there with the guy I saw testing car batteries with a pry bar in terms of hosed up electrical poo poo.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

1500quidporsche posted:

This ranks up there with the guy I saw testing car batteries with a pry bar in terms of hosed up electrical poo poo.

Seriously?

I'm picturing a guy laying it across the terminals just going down a line of them. "*POP* Welp, that one's shorted out. *POP* That one, too. *POP* drat, buncha bad ones. *POP*..."

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Fucknag posted:

Seriously?

I'm picturing a guy laying it across the terminals just going down a line of them. "*POP* Welp, that one's shorted out. *POP* That one, too. *POP* drat, buncha bad ones. *POP*..."

Pretty much. Was back when I worked in a junkyard. We politely told him him to get the gently caress out.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
I woke up on Friday morning at a bog standard 6:30 AM. Why? Because I had a bad dream about Cotter Pins. And they awoke me at my normal "Supposed to be worrying about Cotter Pins" time.

IT WAS MY DAY OFF.

E: "I'M NOT EVEN SUPPOSED TO BE HERE TODAY!"

spookykid fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Feb 17, 2015

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Funny that, I just had the rear drums off of my ACVW and the 36mm nut is a castle nut with a cotter pin, and even though I replaced the pin with a new good quality one and bent it well, I still freak out about it a little every twelve hours or so. "Did I do it right? What if the pin shears? Was my impact bar really 240lb-ft or is it wrong?"

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

ACVW and the 36mm nut is a castle nut with a cotter pin

On my first, those parts were fine. Twas the splines inside the brake drum that continually failed. drat thing ate three drums from the inside out. With a stock 60-horse mill minus years of PO abuse.

He also swapped it over to some kind of five-lug pattern with adapter rings and therefore required idiot 16-year-old me to continue feeding it crappy five lug drums instead of regular crappy four lug drums. Dunno if that had much to do with it or not. Tire diameter was more or less stock... Anyway, "ask me how I know what drum splines smell like" I guess

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I see a lot of those failed drum splines on thesamba. I'm amazed the car can do that. Wheel bearings causing friction?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Dannywilson posted:

I woke up on Friday morning at a bog standard 6:30 AM. Why? Because I had a bad dream about Cotter Pins. And they awoke me at my normal "Supposed to be worrying about Cotter Pins" time.

I drat near killed myself with cotter pin fuckupery. Either forgot to install it or forgot to bend it when I replaced some brake pads. The cotter pin is supposed to hold a larger retaining pin that runs through the pads and the caliper, holding everything together. About two weeks later, as I tried to exit the interstate, the pedal sank to the floor...fortunately I was in the sticks pulling into a rest stop/gas station thing in Vinita, OK, where there's zero traffic and plenty of ramp to downshift and pull right up to the pump without a problem. If I'd been in a bigger town it would've been a big problem. The retaining pin and cotter pin were all that were missing. One of the pads worked its way out but got wedged at a weird angle and couldn't quite fall out, but one of the pistons was completely exposed and half out of its cylinder, allowing the fluid to escape. A call to roadside assistance, about 90 minutes (all the guys at the dealership had just gone to lunch) and about $30 later I was back on the road. Coulda been much worse.

Cotter pins, man. Cotter pins.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I had the left tie-rod pop out of the steering knuckle during rush hour traffic on the DC beltway years ago. Idiot mechanic had completely forgotten to install the cotter pin.

It was years before I let someone else touch my car again, and I still really loving hate doing it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I have rust, so cotter pins are more of an abstract theoretical concept. I might need them, if you could still recognize the threads and castle nut after a couple weeks.

(yes, I still install them.)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

kastein posted:

I have rust, so cotter pins are more of an abstract theoretical concept. I might need them, if you could still recognize the threads and castle nut after a couple weeks.

You have to make sure the nut stays stationary for the hour or two it takes for the loc-rust to form.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

I thought that was the copper ground clippings from Romex.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.
I just replaced a tie rod end/balljoint on a customer's car that did not have a hole for a cotter pin.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

I live on a small windswept island in the English Channel. Here, mild steel fasteners are for all intents and purposes, single use.

A vehicle wiring loom is a thin series of PVC tubes used for storing green dust.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Savington posted:

I just replaced a tie rod end/balljoint on a customer's car that did not have a hole for a cotter pin.

Some of these are replacing castle nuts and cotter pins with locking nuts

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

That threw me for a loop the first time I replaced a CV on my blazer. I'm still not sure I like it.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Geirskogul posted:

I see a lot of those failed drum splines on thesamba. I'm amazed the car can do that. Wheel bearings causing friction?

This is partially due to aftermarket drums being Chinese dogshit. The one and only time I've destroyed a drum was on my 68 and the axle was bent just enough that the castlenut didn't sit flush and ended up cutting the cotter pin which led to my destroying the rear fender when the wheel tried to escape the car. At least the fender kept the wheel attached.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Farking Bastage posted:

I thought that was the copper ground clippings from Romex.

You can almost see the thought process behind it.

:v: "Well a coat hanger sort of looks like the stuff in alternators so it should be good."

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

1500quidporsche posted:

You can almost see the thought process behind it.

:v: "Well a coat hanger sort of looks like the stuff in alternators so it should be good."

I wonder how he lost the original hardware

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I thought it was kinda inspired. "Okay, weave a net of wire around the terminal and then ziptie the gently caress out of it so it stays put"

E: Oh and the cable to the rest of the car just had a strand of copper wrapped around it and a ziptie holding it down? :lol:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Now it looks like theres a chance my shop is going to sell an 18 hour timing chain job on a nissan murano after i begged them not to because the guys all about getting that poo poo fixed :smithicide:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Dannywilson posted:

that is a HC-130N, definitely no carrier landings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar-poc38C84&t=30s

:colbert:

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Now it looks like theres a chance my shop is going to sell an 18 hour timing chain job on a nissan murano after i begged them not to because the guys all about getting that poo poo fixed :smithicide:

gently caress Nissan Muranos forever, seriously. I've done an alternator, plugs, and a power steering pressure line in one, and it was a royal pain in the dick.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

nurrwick posted:

On my first, those parts were fine. Twas the splines inside the brake drum that continually failed. drat thing ate three drums from the inside out. With a stock 60-horse mill minus years of PO abuse.

He also swapped it over to some kind of five-lug pattern with adapter rings and therefore required idiot 16-year-old me to continue feeding it crappy five lug drums instead of regular crappy four lug drums. Dunno if that had much to do with it or not. Tire diameter was more or less stock... Anyway, "ask me how I know what drum splines smell like" I guess

I went through those drums regularly on my 71 super. Its always fun going to accelerate and *pop*. Left me stranded often.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Ohh jebus that sounds like a nightmare. I hope the customer thinks he can get a cheaper price somewhere else. :ohdear:

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Oh man gently caress that noise... :psyboom:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That looks like a piece of piss compared to a Toyota or Hyundai v6 tbh.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
maybe it's hard to get to or something but that doesn't look too terrible?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
To be fair like 17 of that is for the engine R/R

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク
We all know your inner masochist is secretly super excited.

You have to pull the engine im assuming.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

To be fair like 17 of that is for the engine R/R

You have to pull the engine for a surprising number of maintenance items these days, like the water pump and timing belt on a four cylinder Toyota Venza. I already know the answer is "so dealerships can charge more money for the job", but why engineer something like that?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Left Ventricle posted:

"so dealerships can charge more money for the job", but why engineer something like that?

Why not? Its going to be thrown away in 10 years anyways.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Left Ventricle posted:

You have to pull the engine for a surprising number of maintenance items these days, like the water pump and timing belt on a four cylinder Toyota Venza. I already know the answer is "so dealerships can charge more money for the job", but why engineer something like that?

Ease and economy of assembly, not maintenance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Left Ventricle posted:

It's cheaper to manufacture, and when

cursedshitbox posted:

Its going to be thrown away in 10 years anyways.

they stop caring about longevity.

Especially when a lot of people are going to own the car for 5 years as a lease agreement, trade it in for the next one, it passes to someone who can't afford a new car, then they don't spend the money on it to fix it because it's a million loving dollars to do what should be a seventeen minute job, so the car breaks down completely after another 5 years and the whole cycle begins again, feeding off itself all the while. If the cars were easier to fix, then the second owner would be more likely to spend money on it to keep it going, which would mean less demand for 5-year-lease trade-ins, which means the market for them suffers, which means you have less demand for them new because "Oh the resale value on those is poo poo, let's spend our corporate fleet monies on the new Oftenbreak POS-spec from Chrysler/Ford/Mazda/whoever to get a better return at the end".

circle_of_life.gif

Memento fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 18, 2015