Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Erebus posted:

"This girl is tough so let's have her scream a lot and throw in curse words at random" is some C-grade anime dub poo poo but okay

Nier has other dumb script problems that aren't the translation's fault (like having someone show up and vomit out the plot in one go when you get to the final dungeon) but Kaine's dialog was grating and they could've localized it a lot better.

Kaine's dialogue is a pitch-perfect localization of how her character should speak. Like you can say you dislike the writing but that isn't a bad localization it is exactly what they should have done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Teenagers trying to sound tough still sound better than Kaine does. At one point, as I recall, she says something like "Goddamn son of a bitch bastard" which isn't even cursing anymore, it's just word salad. You can do that character and that idea without being so hamfisted with it.

But if you'd rather I say the translation's fine and the original script is poo poo, I'm fine with that too. I don't like any of those characters or that story.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Erebus posted:

But if you'd rather I say the translation's fine and the original script is poo poo, I'm fine with that too.

Perhaps it is you who is poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Erebus posted:

Teenagers trying to sound tough still sound better than Kaine does. At one point, as I recall, she says something like "Goddamn son of a bitch bastard" which isn't even cursing anymore, it's just word salad. You can do that character and that idea without being so hamfisted with it..

Yes. That's the point. Kaine is supposed to sound absurd. She is supposed to look absurd. The translation is accurately conveying the original source material.

Erebus posted:

But if you'd rather I say the translation's fine and the original script is poo poo, I'm fine with that too. I don't like any of those characters or that story.

So you're bitching about the translation without even bothering to differentiate between translation and original writing. Gotcha. It's fine if you dislike the core writing but that doesn't make the translation poo poo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Erebus posted:

Teenagers trying to sound tough still sound better than Kaine does. At one point, as I recall, she says something like "Goddamn son of a bitch bastard" which isn't even cursing anymore, it's just word salad.
Yes. Exactly.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

Yes. That's the point. Kaine is supposed to sound absurd. She is supposed to look absurd. The translation is accurately conveying the original source material.

I'm saying there's a line between it sounding forced on purpose and just sounding forced on its own. You can do the "vulnerable character putting on a tough front" thing without going to that extreme with it. Like, Kanji from P4 was coming from the same place but not nearly to that degree. If he had talked like Kaine I would've found him annoying too.

quote:

So you're bitching about the translation without even bothering to differentiate between translation and original writing. Gotcha. It's fine if you dislike the core writing but that doesn't make the translation poo poo.

I'm admitting I don't know the original script. Maybe she was that bad originally. But I think the localizers could've done something to account for what it sounded like in English, regardless of what it was in Japanese. But this gets back to whole literal translation versus spirit of the language translation argument.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Erebus posted:

I'm saying there's a line between it sounding forced on purpose and just sounding forced on its own. You can do the "vulnerable character putting on a tough front" thing without going to that extreme with it. Like, Kanji from P4 was coming from the same place but not nearly to that degree. If he had talked like Kaine I would've found him annoying too.

That isn't the character they're going for though. They're not putting "vulnerable character putting on a tough front" thing. The character is literally supposed to be come across as ridiculous and excessive. Again, you may not like the character but that is what the character is supposed to be.

Erebus posted:

I'm admitting I don't know the original script. Maybe she was that bad originally. But I think the localizers could've done something to account for what it sounded like in English, regardless of what it was in Japanese. But this gets back to whole literal translation versus spirit of the language translation argument.

They did do that! The character is supposed to sound abrasive, excessive and ridiculous and the localization conveys that. Nier is like the worst game in the world to accuse of being too literal considering they literally changed the protagonist's relationship with Yonah entirely to better convey the intent to the American audience.

"I don't like this character" doesn't make the localization bad. It just means you don't like the character.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I liked Kaine. Full disclosure, when I was 12 I said "Goddamn son of a bitch bastard" and similar strings of potty mouth because I thought it made me sound grown up.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Perhaps it is you who is poo poo.

Just make this the title.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

If your argument is that Kaine is meant to be exactly as obnoxious as she is, then fine. The impression I got was that she was being made overly excessive and abrasive by the English script, because she sounds a lot like bad anime dubs of the '90s where any angry or gruff person's dialog becomes gently caress YOUR poo poo FACE rear end DICK. It's entirely possible that I was giving the original script too much credit.

She's just an awful character then.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Kaine's main flaw is that she is not Arioch and doesn't literally eat children.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Erebus posted:

If your argument is that Kaine is meant to be exactly as obnoxious as she is, then fine. The impression I got was that she was being made overly excessive and abrasive by the English script, because she sounds a lot like bad anime dubs of the '90s where any angry or gruff person's dialog becomes gently caress YOUR poo poo FACE rear end DICK. It's entirely possible that I was giving the original script too much credit.

She's just an awful character then.
or maybe you're just weird and hyper focused on the comparison to bad 90s OVAs even though that comparison really doesn't fit at all since they're coming from two completely different directions with the swearing

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Endorph posted:

or maybe you're just weird and hyper focused on the comparison to bad 90s OVAs even though that comparison really doesn't fit at all since they're coming from two completely different directions with the swearing
Look, two different things sweared a lot. Therefore they must be doing so for the exact same reason.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
I swear like Kaine all the time whenever I get frustrated at something. Hell I believe there were times while playing the game I did so, like with the boar fight. And what's the point in swearing if you're not just going to go all the way?

edit: And I'm well past being a teenager.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Erebus posted:

Teenagers trying to sound tough still sound better than Kaine does. At one point, as I recall, she says something like "Goddamn son of a bitch bastard" which isn't even cursing anymore, it's just word salad. You can do that character and that idea without being so hamfisted with it.

if you never said something like goddamn son of a bitch bastard when you were a teenager then I don't want to know you.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

C'mon guys, be nice or I'm busting out those Pier Solar breastfeeding pics again.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Codiekitty posted:

C'mon guys, be nice or I'm busting out those Pier Solar breastfeeding pics again.

the gently caress you say

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Codiekitty posted:

all this talk about kaine's got you thirsty, huh :greencube:

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Erebus posted:

Nier, a game with a good translation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvyvQfn30uE

:stare: Is this seriously the first thing you hear in the game?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

yeah, it owns

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Yes.

Drakengard 2 started with "Love me!"

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Yup! In Kaine's defense, Weiss is a little bitch.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

drakengard 3 starts with dragon pissing

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Erebus posted:

I haven't played Nier (and I really should because it's sitting on my shelf :cripes:), but that sounded perfectly fine. It was someone exasperated and angry, using fairly coherent sentences :shrug:.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Erebus posted:

I've never played this game before and now I'm regretting that, this is fantastic.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Nier also has really good music. I could never bring myself to beat it though, the last dungeon is just such a slog.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Leper Residue posted:

Nier also has really good music. I could never bring myself to beat it though, the last dungeon is just such a slog.

The soundtracks been rearranged at least twice. It freaking rules.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Nier has the best soundtrack. And unlike other games that you can say are worth playing just for the music like FF Mystic Quest and Chrono Cross, the rest of this game is actually great too. Best JRPG of the Xbox360/PS3/Wii generation.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Eh, as much as I like Nier, I wouldn't call it the best of that generation. Even though I'll defend the gameplay as being okay, there are other titles, console and handheld, that were a lot more fun.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Seriously, why the gently caress is Xenoblade designed around people who do sidequests as soon as they can. I just want to play the main story while doing side quests here and there but the game makes it impossible with constant difficulty spikes. I'm at the part where I have to open up the gate to prison island by breaking the two seals and after the previous cakewalk boss fight (after leveling up a level) I now have to go through a tough wave of enemies just to get to where I need to go.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Motto posted:

Eh, as much as I like Nier, I wouldn't call it the best of that generation. Even though I'll defend the gameplay as being okay, there are other titles, console and handheld, that were a lot more fun.

I like Nier and all but yeah, it's more an unpolished gem than goty material. People should definitely play it, it's cheap, and if it does click with you, you have like three playthroughs to see everything.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

Seriously, why the gently caress is Xenoblade designed around people who do sidequests as soon as they can. I just want to play the main story while doing side quests here and there but the game makes it impossible with constant difficulty spikes. I'm at the part where I have to open up the gate to prison island by breaking the two seals and after the previous cakewalk boss fight (after leveling up a level) I now have to go through a tough wave of enemies just to get to where I need to go.

What team are you using?

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Nier is a fantastic rpg, like its not the best gameplay-wise, but its clear that the writer and the localizers all put a lot of work into making one of the most charming ps3/360 games.

Also both Drakengard & Nier both have great music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNxH1ueL2bU

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Endorph posted:

all this talk about kaine's got you thirsty, huh :greencube:

Nah, since the debate seems to be whether or not Kaine is horrible, I'm just trying to think of something that everyone sensible would agree is horrible from a game that everyone everyone sensible would agree is horrible.

As for Nier itself, I actually went through a bunch of sidequests in the first half of the game just to get more banter, but eventually gave up on them in the second half after I ballsed up one in which an old woman told me to find three crates and don't open any of them. I did exactly as she said, later finding out the correct thing to do was to open them and turn them over to the police.

Then the game completely pissed me off at the end with its big reveal that didn't even make any sense:

If the shades are deformed human souls, and everyone in the game is a soulless shell, why the gently caress was one of the bosses created by people of a town turning into shades and fusing together?

I also wasn't too keen on the implication that Lord Voldemort was more human than the cast of Nier.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
ImageEpoch might be shutting down. I've never played any of their games but I always heard they were bad?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Codiekitty posted:

If the shades are deformed human souls, and everyone in the game is a soulless shell, why the gently caress was one of the bosses created by people of a town turning into shades and fusing together?

Everyone isn't necessarily soulless, sometimes they either get possessed by stray souls like Kaine or even get found by their own soul and live out an almost normal life. Presumably that town was living symbiotically with shades until events in game changed that.

Shades themselves aren't exactly deformed, just some of them start to forget/reject their humanity after centuries spent as disembodied spirits.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Feb 17, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HGH posted:

ImageEpoch might be shutting down. I've never played any of their games but I always heard they were bad?

They had some okay games. Sands of Destruction was broken as gently caress but also reasonably fun. Arc Rise Fantasia and Fate/Extra probably came the closest to being legitimately good if flawed.

But then they made Criminal Girls and Time & Eternity, two of the absolutely more dire-bad JRPGs ever, so I won't miss them.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

corn in the bible posted:

Play Lightning Return.

hell yeah corn is right, i doubted them and now i agree

we should get a trauma survivors or god is dead gang tag for all lightning returns completers

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

hubris.height posted:

hell yeah corn is right, i doubted them and now i agree

we should get a trauma survivors or god is dead gang tag for all lightning returns completers

Tell them to put it on my loving PC already and I'd have begun yesterday!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Terper posted:

What team are you using?

Shulk, Reyn, and Melia.