Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
maybe pc not source of power bill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

maybe you have electric hot water and the bathtub is dripping?

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
have you thought thta it ight be the tv that u are using for a monitor? im not positive, but iirc they don't actually turn off when they're off, but use like almost as much power

also w/r/t a server for torrents and files, etc, you can just get literally the shittiest old computer possible, anything with about 2GB RAM (or even less if you're super patient) and a giant 2TB HDD or whatever and just put windows 2008 web on it and share everything / use RDP to access it.

if u wanna be even cheaper, u could go with 1GB or less of RAM and use Linux, but then you'd have to choose between a console based beardlord torrent client or installing a window manager and vncing into it

since ur doing :files: with it anyway windows is prob the way to go. put it under a desk / in a garage / you`r butt and just leave it on forever

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

du -hast posted:

have you thought thta it ight be the tv that u are using for a monitor? im not positive, but iirc they don't actually turn off when they're off, but use like almost as much power

echinopsis posted:

lol tvs dont have sleep. i just turn it off at night/not at home
:iiam:

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

hurr hurr i m read thread :pram: hurf hurf

but yeah the advice for the media server thing stikll stands though i know that goons will mercilessly pick it apart

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
well I don't turn it off at wall but it's not smart TV but idk worth examing I huff

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

du -hast posted:

lol why are you making this poo poo up

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

spankmeister posted:

install linux

hmmm..... this might not be the worst idea ever, actually

which distro is lightweight and good for netflix/browsing/spotify

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Granbar posted:

hmmm..... this might not be the worst idea ever, actually

which distro is lightweight and good for netflix/browsing/spotify
chromeos

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

huh, theyr'e still making songs

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

echinopsis posted:

well I don't turn it off at wall but it's not smart TV but idk worth examing I huff

put a blanket around ur hot water cylinder or lower the tstat on it or stop using heaters or stop using your heat pump and only get takeaways

like the only thigns in ur house that are going to make much of an impact are light and heat sources

maybe get more efficient light bulbs??

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

bobbilljim posted:

put a blanket around ur hot water cylinder or lower the tstat on it or stop using heaters or stop using your heat pump and only get takeaways

like the only thigns in ur house that are going to make much of an impact are light and heat sources

maybe get more efficient light bulbs??

a hosed up fridge thats running all the time will pull ~7amp, it adds up quick

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

a hosed up fridge thats running all the time will pull ~7amp, it adds up quick

yeah if the coils are all covered in dust the compressor will kick in more often

clean under and behind your fridge

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

i count fridges and ac as heating devices :mrgw:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

that feel when tcpdump shows a packet leaving the interface but the other end of the wire doesn't get that packet

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

lmao enjoy going down the the DC to replace a cable
edit assuming you have measurable packet loss otherwise it's probably a firewall

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

now i have a question. does tcpdump manage to hook into interfaces before the firewall rules are applied?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

my stepdads beer posted:

lmao enjoy going down the the DC to replace a cable
edit assuming you have measurable packet loss otherwise it's probably a firewall

it's all on my desk and it's something to do with certain packets not being double vlan tagged and so not making it through the switch hardware in my router :psyduck:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

my stepdads beer posted:

now i have a question. does tcpdump manage to hook into interfaces before the firewall rules are applied?

that's a tricky question... i think you would see outbound packets before they get blocked, but inbound ones never got there so you don't see them. i could be wrong though or it could be down to the implementation

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

my stepdads beer posted:

i believe so yes but enable youre firewall logs on the rule that would be blockin dat packet so you can see for sure

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

bobbilljim posted:

it's all on my desk and it's something to do with certain packets not being double vlan tagged and so not making it through the switch hardware in my router :psyduck:

shouldn't you only need to double vlan tag if you're already doing ip-ip encapsulation

like what are you doing

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I'm in wireless hell. There are 30 networks in range. They are split evenly on 1, 6, and 11. It's a mix of N and G on every channel, which already makes it hellish. From 5-11 (netflix, cord cutting, lol) the wireless is unusable about 8 feet from the router. Signal quality of 30% at best. My computer desk is in a loft, and the cable modem is on the opposite side of the condo. It is 40 feet from my desk to the cable modem and there is a line of sight. I am skeptical of AC because I fully expect assholes to buy the new equipment that makes ac have 2 channels.

I bought powerline networking equipment, but when an appliance kicks on or off the connection drops.

With respect to ethernet, There are either a poo poo ton of studs in the way around the outside wall. There are no wires run on the outside wall after a certain point. The inside wall and the ceiling are inaccessible as well as there is a chimney that goes all the way back to the fire wall. There are ducts, but the way they branch out of the furnace means that is out.

Apart from my bastard plan to make the 2.4ghz spectrum unusable with cordless phones, forcing my scumbag neighbors to run cables to their rokus and the condo board to address wireless networking - what else can I do..

My best plan right now is to throw a cable out of the loft, round the outside wall, run it under the door mat and to the router. I'd just have to put it up when we had company.

Any non ghetto ideas yospos?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Apart from my bastard plan to make the 2.4ghz spectrum unusable with cordless phones, forcing my scumbag neighbors to run cables to their rokus and the condo board to address wireless networking - what else can I do..

instead of purposely generating illegal interference, maybe try the 5ghz spectrum

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
the best suggestion in any case involving DIY home bullshit: go hire a professional to do it because your condo is almost certainly not the most hosed-up thing they've had to work on already

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Cocoa Crispies posted:

instead of purposely generating illegal interference, maybe try the 5ghz spectrum

Completely legal to use 12 phones inside your own home as long as they comply with tx power maximums. Its my spectrum and I can use it however I want.

I thought 5ghz had an effective range of 20 feet. Am I wrong?

edit: I am a dummy

max speed at 20 feet, max range is 110 feet, which my condo is like 70 feet max.

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 17, 2015

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Completely legal to use 12 phones inside your own home as long as they comply with tx power maximums. Its my spectrum and I can use it however I want.

I thought 5ghz had an effective range of 20 feet. Am I wrong?

5ghz won't penetrate walls as well as 2.4ghz BUT if you're in an apartment and seeing that much signal bleed in from your neighbors then odds are your walls are thin as poo poo and that won't be much of a problem. the lower noise floor trumps the somewhat limited effective range

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

drop a hundo on an airport express and be done with it. I finally replaced my old as dirt wrt54gs on tomato with one last week and its a night and day difference

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
ive got the same situation in my building and solved my all my problems with a 5ghz router. lol @ even considering getting 12 cordless phones to disrupt your neighbours wifi-signals.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
move to a house

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

SYSV Fanfic posted:

intent matters, and the em spectrum is a public resource

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

tbqh while it is prob technically illegal or at least unethical for u to do the phone signal jamming thing, i for 100% support this major trolling of neighbors venture and am rly hoping u make a thread with the results / pictures of the contraption

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

SYSV Fanfic posted:

so you're pissy that the neighbors are clogging up the the wifi, and your solution is to clog up the wifi

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Deacon of Delicious posted:

so you're pissy that the neighbors are clogging up the the wifi, and your solution is to clog up the wifi

clog up the wifi so much that they turn to using wired solutions so that the op can then get back to using his wifi

mega lol

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Cocoa Crispies posted:

intent matters, and the em spectrum is a public resource

So, the spectrum is owned by 320*10^6 people. Which means its in part mine.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Guys, I'm not actually going to do the 12 phone thing.

edit:

srsly though, I looked it up and the condo board can't even have rules about router and operations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

make cannon from your microwave oven

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

just get a bunch of these and run some cable around the baseboards you big baby

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

Oh, forgot to mention I sinfully cohabitate with a woman who very much cares about what things look like, and even conduit along the wall is out. Otherwise I totes would have done it already.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

agreed w/ this post, also the u could put a wireless router up to where u usualy are on 5GHz and not have any more problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

but also without a doubt do the phon thing because i really want to know if / how well that works