Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

Alouicious posted:

Her skirt was made entirely of belts because Nomura wanted to test the modelers to see if they could get the exact arrangement and layout of the belts exactly right each time. In response, the modelers took every opportunity they could to not show her from the waist down during pre-rendered CGI cutscenes.

because the healthiest working relationship is one built out of pissing contests and spite

I've heard this story many times but it really doesn't make sense. You don't build a new model for every scene so getting the belts right is still only something you do once, twice if you count the gameplay and cutscene models but the gameplay one is probably based on the cutscene one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
/\/\/\/\ Modeling is only half of it, they don't want to animate or render the belts either.

Europa Universalis IV: It's going to take a while to explain this properly, but basically I was playing as Japan, and they have a specific random event that fires when you have Christian provinces and took the "expel Westerners" national decision. Basically, you get a free conversion of the Christian province to your state religion Shintoism, but also a revolt. The revolt is Christian zealots, and the problem is that if they win a siege, the province they take becomes Christian again. The rebel stacks are often entirely too gigantic for the minimal armies I kept in the provinces that were revolting (usually leftovers from colonizing where you only need a handful of men,) so they win and waste no time in undoing the free Shinto conversion that happened when they revolted to begin with. And then, the revolt in Nicaragua (where I had no adjacent controlled provinces, so it was a total pain in the rear end to raise reinforcement armies) gets a really good leader that I can't replicate (leader quality is usually determined by a stat called army tradition, which will be very low unless you've been fighting land wars constantly, or you've invested in specific ideas and techs.) This event of course fires almost constantly as long as I have any Christian provinces, which were converted that way by random events to begin with. Normally the random event generator is out for your blood; this time I wanted to scream at it "STOP HELPING ME!"

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Len posted:

I recently picked up FFX HD Remaster and I had forgotten just how bad the clothing in this game is. One character is wearing assless legwear with a thong. Who decided that was a good call?

I believe I heard it from a Let's Play where they said Tidus looks like a five-year old who's mom let him dress himself for the the first time.

It's funny because I remember Square saying they improved the characters outfits for XIII and they still put Vanille in a fur half-skirt and made Hope dress up like a soccer mom.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Spek posted:

I've heard this story many times but it really doesn't make sense. You don't build a new model for every scene so getting the belts right is still only something you do once, twice if you count the gameplay and cutscene models but the gameplay one is probably based on the cutscene one.

you do when it's pre-rendered CGI

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I think I have a new least favorite thing in pretty much any game ever. Random critical hits. Crits can be cool if you get them for hitting a weak point, or if you have a skill that gives them to you. But when I lose a fight because the RNG just decided to give the enemies a string of random blows that destroyed me, or if I win a fight literally just because I got lucky. It takes the fun out of the game. I don't like it when my game is decided for me purely by luck.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Darkest Dungeon is a pretty fun Early Access game even if it's a bit more shallow and minimal than it might initially appear (still worth the price tag probably though). But a good little thing in it is that party members will occasionally say little things in their text boxes before performing an action.

The bad thing is that the chance of saying stuff goes up drastically if someone in your party's stressed out, and the way the game works, if poo poo starts going bad, then it's probably going to keep going bad. Which means that you can end up with dudes unskippably yelling stuff and slowing down battle, especially since their stress is making them take suboptimal options and slowing things down even more.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

This is something that happens in a bunch of games that just bothers me- I hate hand holding tutorials that don't allow you to skip them. I know how to do the thing, just give me an option that says "yup, know what I'm doing" so I can get on with the game itself. Is it really so hard to do? gently caress sakes, I shouldn't have to make a save file after I begin the game just so I can skip the tutorial the next time I want to start a new game.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Sociopastry posted:

This is something that happens in a bunch of games that just bothers me- I hate hand holding tutorials that don't allow you to skip them. I know how to do the thing, just give me an option that says "yup, know what I'm doing" so I can get on with the game itself. Is it really so hard to do? gently caress sakes, I shouldn't have to make a save file after I begin the game just so I can skip the tutorial the next time I want to start a new game.

Deus Ex: The Fall is the worst for this. The tutorial explains the concept of aiming to you. "Oh, so I point at the thing I want to shoot, then press the button."

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

That is awful. Right now I'm having a problem with restarting Persona 3. YES I GET ALL THE poo poo THANK YOU CAN I PLEASE JUST GET ON WITH EXPLORING TARTARUS NOW?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Tiggum posted:

Deus Ex: The Fall is the worst for this. The tutorial explains the concept of aiming to you. "Oh, so I point at the thing I want to shoot, then press the button."

In fairness, it's a port of a tablet game. Aiming probably was something that needed to be explained there.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cleretic posted:

In fairness, it's a port of a tablet game. Aiming probably was something that needed to be explained there.

No matter how hard I try to play games with virtual joysticks they all end up impossible to do anything in for me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Reminder that Deux Ex: The Fall is the game where this happens every time you shoot a gun

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

CJacobs posted:

Reminder that Deux Ex: The Fall is the game where this happens every time you shoot a gun
That gif alone is enough to make me never play it.

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012

CJacobs posted:

As somebody who absolutely loves Human Revolution, and has long-had The Fall on the "to play" back burner; thanks for saving me some money.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Then again I can hardly remember ever shooting a gun in Human Revolution.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The only gun worth shooting in that game was the explosive bullet revolver, and then it just became silly.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

My Lovely Horse posted:

Then again I can hardly remember ever shooting a gun in Human Revolution.

If you wanted to save Malik then you needed to shoot the stun gun a few times. And if you didn't pick the right route then there's one or two remaining snipers that need to be picked off because it'll take ages to get up there.

Once you know that the secret is "go anticlockwise around the arena" the whole thing is surprisingly easy.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

CJacobs posted:

I just loaded up the game and played through the tutorial section to check, and this doesn't happen. :confused:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Did some quick research and apparently they patched it out, thank god, but don't worry, Deus Ex: The Fall is still laughably bad in basically every other way to make up for it. It's still nauseating, just not physically nauseating.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
loving GTA V. It has alot of problems, lack of a powertrip, plot with the theme of "crime DOESN'T pay" stuck way up in the rear end, too much bickering that only sets the tone like 45 hours into the game when the tone is already set. Its car garage systems is still terrible for some reason. Way too few heist missions.

But these things are all fine. What I did. Not. Want. To. Pay. For. Was the pathetic loving edgyyy plot. I did not want to go through the torture scene, I didn't think it was hilarious when trevor said he murdered Rons friends, I hated it when trevor murdere the husband and wife after making their house his base of operations.

Dan houser obviously thinks he is way smarter than every consumer out there, what with all the scenes where the main characters make fun of fat white gamer stand-ins.

I started out being mad. Now I feel ashamed. I actually haven't felt shame about gaming up until now. I spent money on this. It just is so incredibly mean-spirited and juvenile and awkward and I hate it. When did Rockstar Games start resenting the consumers so much?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Sociopastry posted:

That is awful. Right now I'm having a problem with restarting Persona 3. YES I GET ALL THE poo poo THANK YOU CAN I PLEASE JUST GET ON WITH EXPLORING TARTARUS NOW?

Persona 4 is even worse about that somehow. There's like 2 hours of introduction before the game actually starts and I hate sitting through it. I hope Persona 5 learns from its predecessors about pacing.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

loving GTA V. It has alot of problems, lack of a powertrip, plot with the theme of "crime DOESN'T pay" stuck way up in the rear end, too much bickering that only sets the tone like 45 hours into the game when the tone is already set. Its car garage systems is still terrible for some reason. Way too few heist missions.

But these things are all fine. What I did. Not. Want. To. Pay. For. Was the pathetic loving edgyyy plot. I did not want to go through the torture scene, I didn't think it was hilarious when trevor said he murdered Rons friends, I hated it when trevor murdere the husband and wife after making their house his base of operations.

Dan houser obviously thinks he is way smarter than every consumer out there, what with all the scenes where the main characters make fun of fat white gamer stand-ins.

I started out being mad. Now I feel ashamed. I actually haven't felt shame about gaming up until now. I spent money on this. It just is so incredibly mean-spirited and juvenile and awkward and I hate it. When did Rockstar Games start resenting the consumers so much?

The last GTA game I thought was really great was Vice City. It was fun to drive around, pretending to be criminal Don Johnson. All the rest have been extra-gritty drama bullshit. You can't try to drop a serious story in the middle of ridiculous ultra-nonsense.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

To be fair, Floyd really should have known better than to pull a knife on Trevor and Debra did pull a gun on him, kinda playing with fire there guys! :v:

And while Trevor did kill Wade's friends, he did go easy on the guy at the end, since he hangs out in the Strip Club once Trevor seizes control over it.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

ChaosArgate posted:

Persona 4 is even worse about that somehow. There's like 2 hours of introduction before the game actually starts and I hate sitting through it. I hope Persona 5 learns from its predecessors about pacing.

P4 Golden lets you skip cutscenes, which is a godsend for returning players, but there really needs to be a "I've played before" mode that skips all that intro stuff and lets you jump right into the game.

Skyrim needs one of these, too. I keep wanting to create a new character but I'm sure as gently caress not escaping Helgen again for the millionth time.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
In the vein of "Unnecessarily long tutorials sections," Twilight Princess holds a special place.

It might not technically be considered a tutorial, but the first couple hours certainly feel like one.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
This more general, but a lot of PC games are really dragged down by horrid optimization.

My laptop is in no way a powerhouse, but it can play games like Metal Gear Rising, Ground Zeroes, Shadows of Mordor, Skyrim crammed to the brim with mods, and a slew of other very pretty and complex games on medium settings just fine. But then I load up Far Cry 4, Dying Light, Witcher 2, or Dragon Age: Inquisition (which runs on lowest, but looks like a PS2 game when you do), and they all run like dogshit even at the lowest settings and the lowest resolution available. And they really aren't any prettier or CPU intensive than most of the games that run just fine.

This just smacks of devs who don't give a poo poo about their playerbase except for the small percentage with unnecessary $1000+ gaming rigs.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Skyrim needs one of these, too. I keep wanting to create a new character but I'm sure as gently caress not escaping Helgen again for the millionth time.

It's pretty easy to speedrun Helgen in a few minutes since you can actually just sprint past everything and the dude who helps you escape will warp into areas with you (with the exception of maybe 2 spots where you gotta wait for the NPC to unlock something). You can even run right by the dragon's head during that part where it busts through the wall.

If you're on the PC version there's a mod that gives you alternate starts/backstories in various parts of Skyrim instead of the usual "you're a prisoner ok GO" thing.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Europa Universalis IV: Japan has another event where you either give money to a wandering beggar outside your palace, or lose prestige, which also fires constantly. It's scaled to your income, which is fine in principle, but what the heck am I doing giving so much money to the guy that I have to take out a loan if I go with that option?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

CJacobs posted:

Did some quick research and apparently they patched it out, thank god, but don't worry, Deus Ex: The Fall is still laughably bad in basically every other way to make up for it. It's still nauseating, just not physically nauseating.

I thought it was fine for what it is. Yeah the graphics are downgraded and everything's a little janky from being a pc port of a tablet game based on a pc game but at the end of the day it's an entire hub's worth of Human Revolution content. If you really enjoyed HR it's gone on sale for as low as $2, that's totally worth 5-10 hours of content.

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

And if Morrowind had one, I wouldn't be suffering flashbacks every-time someone says something similar to any line from the intro (the part before you leave the building, essentially)

As for content, I keep trying to get back into Zafehouse Diaries (you probably haven't heard of it, it's kinda obscure :smuggo:)
I suppose the relevant context is that it's a game about surviving a zombie apocalypse in a mostly-abandoned city with a few game-modes, random houses, and in some modes, random characters.
But, while I can sigh and roll my eyes at the general unpolished nature that I've come to expect from 'older' games, what keeps me from wanting to play it is that I keep losing perfectly good characters to fights they should have won, with no indication as to why - two skilled fighters might reliably take out a dozen zombies whenever they're out hunting, but if I send them with extra help and better gear into a house with like 8 zombies, they'll all get killed off and I basically have to restart (especially since one or both tends to be custom-made characters meant to compensate for me being terrible)

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

aerion111 posted:

And if Morrowind had one, I wouldn't be suffering flashbacks every-time someone says something similar to any line from the intro (the part before you leave the building, essentially)

Now before I stamp these papers, make sure this information is correct.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

You do know that a mod exists that skips Helgen entirely? It's readily available on Steam Workshop It even has the decency of letting you pick whether you followed the Imperial or Stormcloak guy out.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Quiet, here comes the mods

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

You don't even need a mod. The game automatically makes an autosave at the end of that dungeon that you can forever use to reload and make a new character since it repromts your choices and customization before you leave the dungeon.
If you've actually been playing it over and over you are a tard.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

SirPhoebos posted:

You do know that a mod exists that skips Helgen entirely? It's readily available on Steam Workshop It even has the decency of letting you pick whether you followed the Imperial or Stormcloak guy out.

It's possible they are playing on the console version, which means keeping a save file right before character creation and speedrunning Helgen are kind of your only options. Otherwise yes, the answer to basically every Skyrim issue is "There's a mod (or console command) for that you know."

I like using the Live Another Life one and starting out as a terrified level 1 character in Blackreach.

JebanyPedal posted:

You don't even need a mod. The game automatically makes an autosave at the end of that dungeon that you can forever use to reload and make a new character since it repromts your choices and customization before you leave the dungeon.
If you've actually been playing it over and over you are a tard.

This is true for the other Elder Scrolls and Fallout games, but Skyrim doesn't prompt you to finalize your character so no you can't do that.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Also I'm pretty sure the forced save is at the execution scene, not at the end of Helgen. It wouldn't make a ton of sense because you can gain several skill ups and even a level in the training dungeon.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

Also I'm pretty sure the forced save is at the execution scene, not at the end of Helgen. It wouldn't make a ton of sense because you can gain several skill ups and even a level in the training dungeon.

It autosaves when you get off the cart, which is right before it goes into the character creation screen. So you can skip the long cutscene at the beginning, but that's about it.

Edit: I got curious and started a character from that point. Helgen can be finished in about 5 minutes (from execution to cave exit) if you just run past everything. That's ignoring everything including potions and the lockpicking stuff though.

Kimmalah has a new favorite as of 22:16 on Feb 17, 2015

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
While we're talking tutorials, Mario and Luigi: Dream Team.

God that game had far, far too much tutorial. It felt glacial compared to the other three, and its why I could never really get into it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The Bee posted:

While we're talking tutorials, Mario and Luigi: Dream Team.

God that game had far, far too much tutorial. It felt glacial compared to the other three, and its why I could never really get into it.

Even ignoring the tutorials that game was a huge loving slog. Fights took forever and were hard to avoid. The dreamworld segments added a ridiculous amount of padding. Enemies respawned so easily you pretty much never wanted to back track for anything. I think it dethrones Sticker Star as worst Mario rpg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I was just about to start playing Dream Team :ohdear: