Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Falukorv posted:

I like Hamiltons idea too.

I'm no history buff, so correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't the British help jump start piracy by contracting these guys as privateers ("legally" pirating enemy Fench and Spanish ships)?
Hamiltons plan makes more sense from that context.

If my hours spent playing Sid Meier's PIrates! are historically correct, English Governors would not only pardon you for acts of piracy against whichever nations they were at war with but also give you gold, land, and let you marry their daughters. Letters of Marque were real enough though.

However I'm pretty sure if that game were accurate Flint could lose all his men in an assault on the fort, but still manage to capture the fort by beating Vane in a sword fight.

Now that I think about it, when Flint and Vane do come to blows it should be that epic.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Feb 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Falukorv posted:

I'm no history buff, so correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't the British help jump start piracy by contracting these guys as privateers ("legally" pirating enemy Fench and Spanish ships)?

Yeah they sort of did like 200 years before, but they all did it, the Dutch, French, Spanish.
The English used them for a long time due to having no real Navy, the Royal Navy wasn't founded until 1660.
The Spanish and Portuguese had been pulling gold and poo poo out of the americas for about a 160 years.

During the lead up to the golden age it was out of hand, so they killed most of them.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Feb 16, 2015

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Falukorv posted:

My brother's a history guy, and he says that there was a pardoning from whoever was king back then. Hornigold (the real guy) took the offer, and Vane didn't. After a while, Hornigold noticed that there were still pirates cruising the waters and got to work for the British as a sort of pirate hunter.

I'm not the historian, I don't have any sources. I just think it sounds badass.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tokubetsu posted:

My favorite scene tonight was definitely the one where Silver learns just how miserable of a person Flint is. Then it gets reinforced with his decision to fire at the end.

That was an amazing scene. He was just staring into his eyes and taunting him about how he felt about himself.

This season owns.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Horse Divorce posted:

My brother's a history guy, and he says that there was a pardoning from whoever was king back then. Hornigold (the real guy) took the offer, and Vane didn't. After a while, Hornigold noticed that there were still pirates cruising the waters and got to work for the British as a sort of pirate hunter.

It was King George in 1717.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Horse Divorce posted:

Karma got to him pretty fast.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Team Flint has John SIlver so I'm fully in that camp

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If memory serves Vane did take the pardon when he was captured and then immediately stole a ship and restarted a - pirating once he got to shore. Not that the show is following history very well anyways. Vane was dead for years before Low was lost at sea.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Team Rackham.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CODChimera posted:

Team Rackham.

If my computer with photoshop wasn't a flight away I would be on this as we speak.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

CODChimera posted:

Team Rackham.

I think Flint is a more interesting character than Vane, but that is not exactly saying a lot. Rackham on the other hand is the best character on the show.

wizardstick
Apr 27, 2013
Team Naft

'Flint. Flint. Vane. Vane. Plant. Plant. It's the fuckin' same!'

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
Is that a Twilight joke? In that case, #holyfuckteamVane.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

SaltLick posted:

Team Flint has John SIlver so I'm fully in that camp

It's pretty funny, I still remember how at the beginning of season 1 pretty much nobody (including myself) liked Silver at all. But by now he's somehow managed to pull me over on his side through sheer smarminess. It's like we're the crew and every time he appears on screen he's doing his morning address :aaa:

Also, obviously team Gates forever :smith:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

#teamforearms

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Perestroika posted:

It's pretty funny, I still remember how at the beginning of season 1 pretty much nobody (including myself) liked Silver at all. But by now he's somehow managed to pull me over on his side through sheer smarminess. It's like we're the crew and every time he appears on screen he's doing his morning address :aaa:

Also, obviously team Gates forever :smith:

The best part is how he keeps flat out stating that he gives no fucks about anything other than getting paid and will stab you in the back the moment you are between him and getting paid, or even the moment he sees a better opportunity to get paid and you need a stabbing for this to work out.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah but #teamforearms is about the crew. Pirate union: We care man

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Orange Devil posted:

The best part is how he keeps flat out stating that he gives no fucks about anything other than getting paid and will stab you in the back the moment you are between him and getting paid, or even the moment he sees a better opportunity to get paid and you need a stabbing for this to work out.

Flint's not worried, he read the book.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Team Vane has Eleanor.

It is a bad team.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If I've learned anything, like half the people on Team Vane are there because of her and her occasional nude scenes.

If Max picks a side, it's over.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

#TeamFlintsCoat

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Is it a pirate rule you have to give up your coat when you're deposed as captain?

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

nooneofconsequence posted:

Is it a pirate rule you have to give up your coat when you're deposed as captain?

you cant let a man walk around with such a glorious coat if he isnt captain.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You need to be a no bollocks taking motherfucker to wear that in the Caribbean sun

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

Team up with #teamjacksshades and poo poo yeah.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Now we need a gif wizard to retool that gif of the two dudes sitting at a table with a third suddenly showing up to flip it but replace the sitting guys' faces with Flint and Vane and the flippant's with Duke Rack'em.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Uh, i was browsing wikipedia to see if i recognized Toby Stephens (Flint) from somewhere, because i vaguely recognize him from somewhere. Uh, i found out that his Maggie Smith's son. I was very surprised, but most of you probably know that already.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 18, 2015

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
If you saw the last terrible Pierce Brosnan Bond movie, he plays the villain in it.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Party Plane Jones posted:

If you saw the last terrible Pierce Brosnan Bond movie, he plays the villain in it.

Disagree. That was the most Bond, Bond movie there was. It was the natural conclusion of everything that makes a James Bond movie. He fights the sub boss who has diamonds permanently embedded in his face, in an Ice Palace and the sword fight with Graves(Flint) is hilariously awesome.

He plays a Korean man who's had reconstructive surgery in order to look like a British industrialist. It's great in that it's so awful, it's fantastic.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
I love how over the top this show is. I didn't realize that the second season had started, so I binge watched the last four episodes.

Holy poo poo is Flint hot. When do we get to see him naked? :swoon:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mouse Dresser posted:

Holy poo poo is Flint hot. When do we get to see him naked? :swoon:

The coat never comes off, Flynt married that coat and unless someone puts a sword to his throat that ain't changing any time soon.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004
This was probably discussed in the last thread, but the music composer for the show has a fantastic blog on making the music for the show: http://www.bearmccreary.com/#info-center/black-sails

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here
I'm with #teamHurdyGurdy

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

The hurdy gurdy is arguably the greatest musical instrument ever.

Jreedy88
Jun 26, 2005
thirty4

thegreatcodfish posted:

This was probably discussed in the last thread, but the music composer for the show has a fantastic blog on making the music for the show: http://www.bearmccreary.com/#info-center/black-sails

I know this is only tangentially related, but it's one of the most interesting things I've seen a musician do. He made the theme to Da Vinci's Demons palindromic. Bear McCreary is a badass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ymDF3CdBc&t=161s

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Falukorv posted:

Uh, i was browsing wikipedia to see if i recognized Toby Stephens (Flint) from somewhere, because i vaguely recognize him from somewhere. Uh, i found out that his Maggie Smith's son. I was very surprised, but most of you probably know that already.

He's also one of the people on the corporate retreat in the British horror movie "Severance". Which was on Netflix streaming forever, but is currently not up.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
#teamrandal

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Lot of background in this episode and not a whole lot of action.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You talking about tonight's, or last week's?'

I'll be disappointed if we don't get some fighting tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

How did I not see that coming.

• Locked thread