Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

ZypherIM posted:

For upgrading, I'd suggest that after a couple stagecoach upgrades so you're getting 5 or so guys a week and have 9-11 slots, upgrade the guild and blacksmith so your rank1 guys can learn the 2nd level of their skills. There is a pretty big increase in effectiveness, and around that point you might have guys you want to keep around. I personally like to upgrade a church place for sanity stuff, and only use the sanitarium for really debilitating stuff early on. No need to rush a bunch into guild/smith, just unlock the next level when your A team is about to hit their next level, focus otherwise on the rest of your town.

I only just discovered that upgrading skills was a thing, Vastels looking a lot less like lovely backup for Occultists all of a sudden (Occultists still own bones tho). As for Hieronymous Alloy's most recent guide update, may I suggest simple degradation of the hamlet's functions over time? A frontal assault by a boss is cool, but the abbey collapsing from heavy use and needing to be rebuilt feels more thematic to me, and also a less "gently caress you" way of punishing a grindy player than kicking them when they're resting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Chard posted:

I only just discovered that upgrading skills was a thing, Vastels looking a lot less like lovely backup for Occultists all of a sudden (Occultists still own bones tho). As for Hieronymous Alloy's most recent guide update, may I suggest simple degradation of the hamlet's functions over time? A frontal assault by a boss is cool, but the abbey collapsing from heavy use and needing to be rebuilt feels more thematic to me, and also a less "gently caress you" way of punishing a grindy player than kicking them when they're resting.

Abbey collapsing from... heavy use? Do... do you even know what an abbey is?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

Abbey collapsing from... heavy use? Do... do you even know what an abbey is?

Yeah it's a stone-built church in a town plagued by demons and fungus mans. You're quibbling about this hypothetical gameplay mechanic in this kind of game? It's a balance idea, flavor it however you want dude.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Chard posted:

Yeah, there are lots of different ways that the town could be degraded. It's a problem because you don't want too much town-harm in the early game because that's the fallback position for people having a hard time -- no matter how hard it is, you cant' gently caress up the town. But the downside of that is that the late game has no tension because there's no time limit and no long-term negative consequences; once your town is fully upgraded getting new adventurers fully kitted out is relatively trivial and death loses much of its sting.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

If the rewards diminished over time from re-running early dungeons IF you had high-level heroes in the back, that would encourage players to risk those investments instead of stagnating. It really depends on what the end game looks like.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Regarding town degradation, they could include a feature where as you progress through the game (possibly after you beat the first wave of bosses in an area?) occasionally your town comes under attack and you have to defend it using your whole roster. Or alternatively let buildings you don't care as much about get razed to the ground while protecting the ones you do to avoid having to rebuild and re-upgrade them.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Man I just had the most satisfying boss fight. Two virtuous healers and one rear end in a top hat with a clean gun.

The vestal kept blessing the party with +15% damage

Highwayman was on DD more than once but managed to kill the necromancer.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

"A singular strike!!" Man the joy in that voice... I love this game.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Chard posted:

"A singular strike!!" Man the joy in that voice... I love this game.

OTOH, getting crit for two damage by a vomiting pig while the announcer goes REELING! ABOUT TO BREAK! is like.... dude you're at 10 and we need you at like 7...

Dismas trips over a loose floor tile - HOW QUICKLY THE TIDES TURN!!!

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 17, 2015

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

What in the world are you supposed to do with the Leper? He's tanky as all get out, but his accuracy is balls and his damage is nothing special unless you waste turns self buffing, by which point the fight is almost over. He also becomes complete dead weight if he gets pushed to the back line.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Skippy McPants posted:

What in the world are you supposed to do with the Leper? He's tanky as all get out, but his accuracy is balls and his damage is nothing special unless you waste turns self buffing, by which point the fight is almost over. He also becomes complete dead weight if he gets pushed to the back line.

Accuracy relics. Level up his attacks and weapons too.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I've done that, he still seems like a solid last place for front liners behind the Hellion and Crusader. No stun, no bleed, no movement abilities. He's tankier, for sure, but that doesn't seems to count for much in this game.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Skippy McPants posted:

What in the world are you supposed to do with the Leper?

lepers are useful for keeping plague doctors company while the non-useless shitlord people go on dungeon runs

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

paranoid randroid posted:

OTOH, getting crit for two damage by a vomiting pig while the announcer goes REELING! ABOUT TO BREAK! is like.... dude you're at 10 and we need you at like 7...

Dismas trips over a loose floor tile - HOW QUICKLY THE TIDES TURN!!!

It would be funny if the game supported multiple narrators like Dota or something.

"Look at them. Pathetic creatures of meat and bone, panting and sweating as they run through the corridors."

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Once you get some levels he gets a lot better. Hits like a truck, has some really nice class relics, pretty good camp skills. Lacking a stun or bleed isn't a big deal, he can hit the front 2 spots like a mac truck and like you've noticed he can really take the punishment. He is pretty crap in short dungeons and low light runs, but a medium or long with an early camp to stack up some ACC buffs and stuff, and he'll soldier through like a champ. He is also a great inclusion for hunting the swine boss or the necromancer, and limited use against the hag (pot fodder, or getting your good hitters out of the pot fast).

Revenge gets really good as you upgrade it, increases both the dmg and crit bonus, while reducing the accuracy penalty. Consider taking uppercut, as it has a base accuracy of 80, and still hits pretty hard. If the fight is going to be short, I usually have him focus on using uppercut on the #2 spot, to help shuffle the enemy to the front while still doing good damage. If it is going to clearly be a longer fight, I'll start with the accuracy buff unless I really want to push the #2 spot back, in which case I'll do accuracy on round 2. Consider putting at least 1 pair of the +prot +move resist boots on him, they're super good. Actually in general, they're a really good trinket (more for the prot than the move resist).

I think he is potentially a really bad early hero, and level 1 probably makes the biggest impact on how good he feels compared to any other class. While he lacks a nice movement skill, the rest of his kit is all good, if a bit situational. Unlike most of the other classes, he doesn't have a skill that I would never use. Some of the other classes have skills that I pretty much never train, or only come up in some weird party setup. Leper you can pretty easily make a case for wanting them all trained, and swapping during the dungeon based on how it is going.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

I've done that, he still seems like a solid last place for front liners behind the Hellion and Crusader. No stun, no bleed, no movement abilities. He's tankier, for sure, but that doesn't seems to count for much in this game.
He's a boss buster. Acc+ Trinkets (Sun Ring), Camp Buffs, and Revenge means he'll 2 shot bosses by himself. Level 5 Revenge buff is crazy.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, there are lots of different ways that the town could be degraded. It's a problem because you don't want too much town-harm in the early game because that's the fallback position for people having a hard time -- no matter how hard it is, you cant' gently caress up the town. But the downside of that is that the late game has no tension because there's no time limit and no long-term negative consequences; once your town is fully upgraded getting new adventurers fully kitted out is relatively trivial and death loses much of its sting.

How in the world does death lose its sting the further you get in the game? If I lose a level 5 or level 6 character, yeah, it won't hurt my wallet very much to give his or her replacement every skill or equipment upgrade, but it takes a pretty long time to take a character from level 0 to level 6, especially if you have to sit them out for stress relief.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Allaniis posted:

He's a boss buster. Acc+ Trinkets (Sun Ring), Camp Buffs, and Revenge means he'll 2 shot bosses by himself. Level 5 Revenge buff is crazy.

I came to the same realization when my leper crit the Swine King for 45 dmg. No one else in my party hit him that hard.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I REALLY wish that the caravan's RNG was weighted towards heroes that you don't have on your roster. 3/4 heroes on the last caravan where Highwaymen and I still haven't seen another Bounty Hunter.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Allaniis posted:

On the other hand the hardest boss is the Hag, and the Leper is useless against her aside from being shoved into the pot.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

I REALLY wish that the caravan's RNG was weighted towards heroes that you don't have on your roster. 3/4 heroes on the last caravan where Highwaymen and I still haven't seen another Bounty Hunter.

Just go all in on highwaymen for spread shot.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Internet Kraken posted:

On the other hand the hardest boss is the Hag, and the Leper is useless against her aside from being shoved into the pot.

None of the bosses are really hard per say, but they do require you to figure them out. That said it is the weakest fight for the leper, but buffed up he can pretty much crush the pot if one of your damage dealers gets sucked up which can work out fairly well.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

I've been thinking about ways that Blight could be improved. What if it were contagious and had a chance to spread to adjacent party members each time it ticked damage? You could keep it from becoming perpetual by just having them all on the same timer as the original, so if it spreads on the second tick, the newly infected character has only one tick of Blight to take.

I'm not sure, but it seems like this would differentiate it from Bleed in that attacks that induce Bleed are very front-loaded since they tend to be decently damaging with the DoT as icing on the cake, while attacks that Blight tend to be fairly middling, but the DoT effect tends to be higher and now would have a chance now to spread some of the misery around to other enemies.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Welp, power went out mid-battle, gave me a loading error when I restarted, kicked me back to town, and my entire party's gone. Eight level 3's, 4 level 2's and a bunch of level 1's just fuckin' gone, replaced by the original level 0 guys I started with. Reynauld's back at least, I guess.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
I can't wait for the rest of the classes.

Worried about the backer-exclusive one, I can't remember if I backed at a high enough level to get it. I will be hella butthurt if I miss out on the Merchant.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wait, there's backer-exclusive poo poo ingame on that level? What? Like, since I hadn't heard about this game until it was shown on Giant Bomb, I'm automatically locked out of an entire class? Or am I misreading your post?

edit: gently caress it, uninstalling this thing. It was amazingly fun for quite a few hours but a roster-clearing bug that straight up replaces all my guys with random level 0's just because of a power outage is such ridiculous horseshit that I'm not even touching it until it's fixed at the very least.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Feb 17, 2015

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

RottenK posted:

I can't wait for the rest of the classes.

Worried about the backer-exclusive one, I can't remember if I backed at a high enough level to get it. I will be hella butthurt if I miss out on the Merchant.

I.. No, that's not true, is it?

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
it is a class that is designed by the lord tier backer, not a class that you need to be lord tier to use in game.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

That's a relief, I wasn't expecting these fine people to pull something like that!

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Darkest Dungeon kicstarter page posted:

Pledge $49 or more

1,551 backers

ADVENTURER

DELUXE DIGITAL EDITION: EXCLUSIVE CHARACTER CLASS + PDF ART BOOK + ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK BY STUART CHATWOOD + ADVENTURER CREDIT

INCLUDES ALL PREVIOUS REWARDS ● Exclusive playable Backers Only character class which will be voted upon by backers (you!) after the campaign closes. ● Feast your eyes upon a digital ART BOOK containing extensive concept work and finished illustrations from Darkest Dungeons' artists! ● Treat your ears to a digital downloadable copy of the Darkest Dungeon Original Soundtrack by Stuart Chatwood. Stuart has composed music for 8 Prince of Persia games on top of his work in a platinum-selling rock band. ● AND, for helping us at this deluxe level, earn eternal recognition with an ADVENTURER credit in the game! ● (Approximately €36 / £29)

The Lord-tier backer class is a separate thing from this.

They said that it was a bad decision on their part, and are looking for some way to resolve the situation, but apparently the kicstarter TOS prevent them from just releasing the class for everyone, or even turning it into DLC. But I haven't checked on this issue for a while, maybe they found some solution, I don't know.

RottenK fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Feb 17, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Time_pants posted:

How in the world does death lose its sting the further you get in the game? If I lose a level 5 or level 6 character, yeah, it won't hurt my wallet very much to give his or her replacement every skill or equipment upgrade, but it takes a pretty long time to take a character from level 0 to level 6, especially if you have to sit them out for stress relief.

If you bring lowbies along with higher ups on higher level dungeon runs -- which si completely doable once you have the town fully upgraded and lots of extra trinkets --- they gain experience much faster.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If you bring lowbies along with higher ups on higher level dungeon runs -- which si completely doable once you have the town fully upgraded and lots of extra trinkets --- they gain experience much faster.

Even though they randomly will take large amounts of stress at random when entering a room? They'll at least have to ride the bench to try and mitigate that. That said, I haven't tried to bring a lowbie along since a spectacular failure in week 6 when I took a couple of level 0s along on a level 3 dungeon on accident and they ended up with 50+ stress each by the second room.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
I had a group of seasoned adventurers (three level 4s and one level 3) go to 80% stress early in a dungeon while they were still at 90% health or better. I ended up pushing on through and for most of the dungeon all four of them had afflictions. It didn't seem to hurt too much, my Vestal kept refusing to heal and my Hellion wouldn't allow other people to move around in the party, but we still came out of it with all 4 alive.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The stress events in this game are loving awesome. My wife and I were playing it the other night and her team was getting carved up by an rear end in a top hat bandit miniboss and his two bullet-spamming lackeys, and her jester ended up on Death's Door with max stress. Then he started laughing maniacally like the loving Joker, causing everyone else in the team to recover stress as they presumably began laughing with him. Then he critted the bandit miniboss so hard that he killed him outright (restoring even more stress to everyone else), ate two potential deathblows without biting the dust, and proceeded to survive the dungeon and become an intensely masochistic Scary Clown who refused to participate in any activity except being whipped by nuns.

We ended up firing him because he also ultimately became a death-obsessed kleptomaniac with the runs, but it was still awesome seeing the creepy jester suddenly go full-on Mark Hamill Joker before raging out and slaughtering everything in his path while bullets bounced off him like hailstones. It made up for the vestal who immediately became Abusive and spent an entire dungeon yelling at everyone and stressing them out while they wearily trudged along killing stuff and falling into traps.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 17, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Time_pants posted:

Even though they randomly will take large amounts of stress at random when entering a room? They'll at least have to ride the bench to try and mitigate that. That said, I haven't tried to bring a lowbie along since a spectacular failure in week 6 when I took a couple of level 0s along on a level 3 dungeon on accident and they ended up with 50+ stress each by the second room.

I'll admit I haven't actually tried it myself, I'm just going by conversations I've had with other players, but yeah, that seems to be the tradeoff -- they get freaked out but they advance fast. I think the idea is you just moderately overlevel them, not go full whole hog level 0 with level 6's.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

RottenK posted:

They said that it was a bad decision on their part, and are looking for some way to resolve the situation, but apparently the kicstarter TOS prevent them from just releasing the class for everyone, or even turning it into DLC. But I haven't checked on this issue for a while, maybe they found some solution, I don't know.

Yeah, this is what kept me from backing the game but honestly they're making enough off it as-is they probably aren't too concerned about the small slice of potential fans they've missed out on because of this.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

RottenK posted:

The last I heard the plan was to basically release a standard version of the class and then a "special" version of the same class for Kickstarter backers only.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Yeah, like a "dark knight" or "paladin" that's just a reskinned Crusader or some such.

Hell they could probably skirt it by just making it time sensitive. Here you go enjoy the thing guys! Okay everyone else gets it a month later!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Captain Invictus posted:

Wait, there's backer-exclusive poo poo ingame on that level? What? Like, since I hadn't heard about this game until it was shown on Giant Bomb, I'm automatically locked out of an entire class? Or am I misreading your post?

edit: gently caress it, uninstalling this thing. It was amazingly fun for quite a few hours but a roster-clearing bug that straight up replaces all my guys with random level 0's just because of a power outage is such ridiculous horseshit that I'm not even touching it until it's fixed at the very least.

I'm pretty sure every game is going to gently caress up if it shuts off in the middle of saving. Not really sure how it's a bug or a glitch in the game proper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

The Iron Rose posted:

I'm pretty sure every game is going to gently caress up if it shuts off in the middle of saving. Not really sure how it's a bug or a glitch in the game proper.

This is especially true of roguelikes in general, which autosave constantly to render savescumming impractical. I know that pain; I've lost some amazing roguelike characters to power failures and other save-corrupting fuckery over the years.