Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich

I said come in! posted:

Absolutely. I think he was hoping the water was poison. One of the themes throughout the episode was giving up and committing suicide. Eugene was the closes out everyone to actually going through with it.

So I guess we are to interpret Abraham slapping it out of his hands to mean that Eugene and Abraham are all cool with each other now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

So I guess we are to interpret Abraham slapping it out of his hands to mean that Eugene and Abraham are all cool with each other now?

Yes, that's how I took it. It seems like they've forgiven each other, but if I remember correctly, there really was no resolution on this was there? I don't recall anymore, and in fact I forgot Eugene was even alive. Before this episode, when was the last time we saw him? I honestly forgot.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Fog Tripper posted:

Some more than others.
Noah, a 100lb soaking wet kid, kills a walker with a model airplane.
Tyrese's zombie was clearly more magical and the 300lb heavyweight couldn't manage to push it away from himself.

Clearly the "heres the plan, push them down a slope" zombies were NOT magical.
Tyreese was powerless when he wasn't holding Mjolnir.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Feb 17, 2015

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I'm happy to turn my brain off watching this show, Sunday night popcorn fare and all, but the trailer showed a road sign for JCT VA Route 16. As a resident of VA I couldn't help but Google that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_State_Route_16

Um guys? If you just left Richmond, you're going the wrong way. I don't even know how you got there, that's at gotta be at least 4-5 hours from Richmond at a good clip on a good day.

I know it's shot in Georgia, so I don't expect realistic shots of Richmond or DC or anything like that, but c'mon research/props department. Look at a map and throw us a bone of realism. I don't normally grouse about this show, I like it more than most folks in this thread, but that's just...

Fake edit: okay, realized the reason I'm getting all spergy about this is --- they clearly include a VA state route sign, when they're shooting in GA. Someone had to get that sign, some grunt had to install it, someone else in photo incorporates it in the shot. NO ONE thought to look at a map to double check "hey, them being in southwest VA on a route that leads nowhere towards DC, maybe this prop isn't right?" Just don't put any road signs in, everyone's happy, save on budget. Problem solved!

My immersion in this show about zombies :argh:

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
If they're going to shoot in Georgia, they really should fix up the backgrounds a bit. In the previous episode the street signs in Noah's neighborhood were all clearly Peachtree City street signs. They are very distinctive wooden posts with hanging brown metal plaques. It was so odd seeing signs for our old neighborhood that we almost didn't even remember it was supposed to be Virginia. The dumbest part is those signs can be so easily removed without even using CGI. Hell, the local kids steal them all the time.

Here's an idea, how about just stick up some of those "warning: speed monitored by aircraft" signs that wigged me out last time I was up in VA or something so the fans in Georgia don't lose their immersion?

Edit: like this but rustier and with zombies.

Stairs fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 17, 2015

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Is it super hard for a show like this to just up and move production to the state they are actually filming in? I would think they could just do this, or maybe they have special deals in place with Georgia for tax breaks etc.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Is it super hard for a show like this to just up and move production to the state they are actually filming in? I would think they could just do this, or maybe they have special deals in place with Georgia for tax breaks etc.

That's pretty much why. Georgia is hot poo poo for film and TV currently because of our insanely low tax breaks and open acceptance of crews and general ability not to freak the gently caress out when Jack Black shows up at your store to buy smokes. Hell, Pinewood Studios just created a new sister studio at my sons old school.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

So I DVRed this last night because I wasn't home to watch it. Tried watching it last night before bed, and I got about 15 minutes in before passing out because it was so boring. Just finished watching it and it nearly put me to sleep this time too. NOTHING loving HAPPENED except for Rick saying "We are The Walking Dead" which is one of the most groanworthy moments in this show in a long time.

I could've sworn they said that already.

quote:

Gabriel tries to talk to Maggie, offer some comfort, Maggie glares and snaps.

I did like how quickly Gabriel gave up then immediately went "Sorry God I didn't mean it!", because he's a tremendous coward and piece of poo poo.

quote:

When Eugene went for the mystery water, anybody else get the vibe it was because he decided if it *was* poisoned, he figured if he tested it, it'd kind of make up for the fact he had admitted he was a liar/ figured nobody would miss him if it was a trap?

It wouldn't have been that hard to look for holes/loose caps, unless they melted it after the fact.

quote:

I know it's shot in Georgia, so I don't expect realistic shots of Richmond or DC or anything like that, but c'mon research/props department. Look at a map and throw us a bone of realism. I don't normally grouse about this show, I like it more than most folks in this thread, but that's just...

I honestly hope this is a plot point and they're all too stupid to head in the right direction.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 17, 2015

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Nothing about it was really thoughtful though. You can easily make the argument why characters like Daryl are having these issues now, as opposed to earlier in the show's run. I mean it's been around 3 years at this point since the outbreak. Nothing here was earned.

They literally spelled it out in the episode, it's the fact that they are 100% coming to grips with the fact that this is reality now. It's not a disaster they're dealing with, it's not a temporary problem, this is it for the rest of their lives. Hanging out around Atlanta would have helped them imagine that they are just holding out for things to return to normal, but they've left now, admitting it's hopeless there.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Didn't they already leave Atlanta several times though?

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

Didn't they already leave Atlanta several times though?

They have not. Atlanta isn't just the city, its the surrounding area too. So far they've been in Newnan (the prison), Peachtree City (the farm), and Woodbury (actually Senoia) and to a local 20 miles outside of Atlanta is still Atlanta.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Pacing is an issue on the show, and I think it will get worse and worse. Kirkman has said the idea behind the comic was to do a zombie story that never ended. Well, that's fine for the comic but I think it will be harder and harder for the TV show to find material to stretch over 16 episode seasons. Considering I think the show will end way before the comics I wonder if the writers have an idea for a satisfying ending to the series and have a basic idea of the plot beats that will lead up to it. If they are operating under the idea that the show will go on indefinitely, I think we are going to end up with this series having a rather lame ending.

The best ending that could happen is a series finale with everyone from the original group dying horrifically in a huge mass of zombies. The last scene should either be Rick seeing Carl getting bit, so he tries to shoot him in the head but he is out of bullets and breaks down weeping as a zombie comes up from behind him to bite him on the neck. Or it should be everyone dying except Rick and Carl who manage to get away, but Carl is injured somehow and while they are hiding Carl succumbs to his injuries, so Rick breaks down crying over the body which comes alive and bites Rick in the neck. The final shot is then a zombie Rick and Carl shuffling along the road.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

RBA Starblade posted:

It wouldn't have been that hard to look for holes/loose caps, unless they melted it after the fact.

I'm guessing that by this point in the apocalypse, most jugs/bottles like that had to have been emptied and refilled a few times.

Though I'd forgive all of the Walking Dead's missteps if they just put in a scene where they're checking out a house, and they find a bunch of 2 liter bottles under a bed.
'What are those?'
'I... I think they're piss jugs.'

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

LadyPictureShow posted:

I'm guessing that by this point in the apocalypse, most jugs/bottles like that had to have been emptied and refilled a few times.

Though I'd forgive all of the Walking Dead's missteps if they just put in a scene where they're checking out a house, and they find a bunch of 2 liter bottles under a bed.
'What are those?'
'I... I think they're piss jugs.'

"Eugene why do you know that?"
"I just do."

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

If you know Virginia these episodes are funny because the tidewater region is really, really wet, and all they'd need to do is go East and they'd hit the Potomac River. Sure it's nasty now, but 2 or three years of zero human pollution it'd probably be OK.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

That was my probably my favorite moment in this episode. Abraham is still pissed as hell at Eugene (you can see he can barely stand to look at him) but his instinct is to still protect him as one of his own.

They were a bit heavy-handed with Maggie finding the two dead women- both blonde haired and blue-eyed like Beth.

And having our crew going on an Exodus and seeing the acts of God as they go was a bit much.

I actually enjoyed this episode but it is probably because I really detested last week.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Spoeank posted:

What happened outside is that Sylar and Peter Petrelli were finally having their showdown, so that's why it was so critical they all keep the door closed.

:bravo:

Stairs posted:

If they're going to shoot in Georgia, they really should fix up the backgrounds a bit. In the previous episode the street signs in Noah's neighborhood were all clearly Peachtree City street signs. They are very distinctive wooden posts with hanging brown metal plaques. It was so odd seeing signs for our old neighborhood that we almost didn't even remember it was supposed to be Virginia. The dumbest part is those signs can be so easily removed without even using CGI. Hell, the local kids steal them all the time.

Here's an idea, how about just stick up some of those "warning: speed monitored by aircraft" signs that wigged me out last time I was up in VA or something so the fans in Georgia don't lose their immersion?

What kind of loving sperg gives a poo poo about location realism?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

It's not really nitpicky or anything if you're a native to the area and little stuff like that sticks out to you. I still find the line about needing snowmobiles in Georgia funny.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Z Nation's Zomnado was heaps better :)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I was very upset when my immersion was broken watching Dolemite. Those clearly were California mountains and not the Alabama foothills.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Did Sasha cut through a zombie and then accidentally slash Abe's arm? I thought I saw that happen and figured it would be a bigger deal than it was.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

Hobo Clown posted:

Did Sasha cut through a zombie and then accidentally slash Abe's arm? I thought I saw that happen and figured it would be a bigger deal than it was.

Yeah, that definitely happened. They could call back to it at a later time but I imagine this is just another example of them picking and choosing how the infections work.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

TMMadman posted:

The best ending that could happen is a series finale with everyone from the original group dying horrifically in a huge mass of zombies. The last scene should either be Rick seeing Carl getting bit, so he tries to shoot him in the head but he is out of bullets and breaks down weeping as a zombie comes up from behind him to bite him on the neck. Or it should be everyone dying except Rick and Carl who manage to get away, but Carl is injured somehow and while they are hiding Carl succumbs to his injuries, so Rick breaks down crying over the body which comes alive and bites Rick in the neck. The final shot is then a zombie Rick and Carl shuffling along the road.
I don't even know what I would want from the show's ending at this point.
I mean, they can't just have everyone die, right? That's just way too nihilistic. What was the point of them surviving for this whole time?

I feel like the show needs a goal. Unfortunately, that was Eugene's magic cure for a while and they revealed that it was a lie.

Are future seasons just going to be, "let's travel to a new town, meet some new crazy survivors, kill them, move on"?

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

warcrimes posted:

What kind of loving sperg gives a poo poo about location realism?

I normally don't notice, but I can't help but "sperg" when they're literally in my old neighborhood, don't change a single thing including the street signs that are instantly noticeable by half of the Atlanta region, then call it Virginia.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lifts cats over head posted:

Yeah, that definitely happened. They could call back to it at a later time but I imagine this is just another example of them picking and choosing how the infections work.

Ooh good, i'm not the only one that asked that question. I was like "isn't he going to get infected now?" But it seems like the show is going to gloss over it. The writers could have done more with that, it works as is, but it was weak.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I mentioned this before, but did they recycle the Woodbury set last week? The ground solar panels and town-houses / storefronts had me thinking they'd gone back for some reason.

Not Noah's neighborhood, I mean where Rick and Glenn talk in the beginning.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I think it's always been established that the only way to get infected was a bite (and in the case of TWD, simply dying was enough since everyone turns in the end). Otherwise, people would be infected left and right from mere bloodspatter.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

moths posted:

I mentioned this before, but did they recycle the Woodbury set last week? The ground solar panels and town-houses / storefronts had me thinking they'd gone back for some reason.

Not Noah's neighborhood, I mean where Rick and Glenn talk in the beginning.

They were showing an "artsy" montage of everywhere they went before during that bit. If you notice in the same scene they showed the prison and farm also.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Which was kinda dumb since I think they were trying to show Tyreese's memories flashing before death or whatever, but he never saw that farm.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Stairs posted:

I normally don't notice, but I can't help but "sperg" when they're literally in my old neighborhood, don't change a single thing including the street signs that are instantly noticeable by half of the Atlanta region, then call it Virginia.

I am like that too, and I assure you I am entirely normal and well adjusted. I'm from the NYC area - when places try to pretend it's the city when it's not gets my eyes rolling.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Huh. It didn't make any sense because in the dialogue Rick is talking about Noah's neighborhood, but the Governor torched Woodbury before we even met Noah.

Then again, the barn burnt down too.

Ghost sets.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The biggest failing of this episode was not having Noah be the one that found the barn that protected them from God's wrath. Maybe throw in an actual burning bush too.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Now, this may be construed as a silly nitpick, but I think it just represents how inconsistent the writing is regarding zombies: If the "attacking the barn doors at night" scene was not supposed to be a dream sequence, then we're led to believe that a bunch of trees fell on every single zombie that was attacking, which stopped the fight. We know that zombies do not let up at all when they're drawn to people since they don't need to sleep/eat/get bored/etc.

Even if one zombie was left alive or not trapped by a falling tree, it would have still been banging on that door all night. I guess the audience then has to imagine that at some point, some of the characters went outside and killed off a couple stragglers?

The scene just didn't work for me at all since it resolved itself with a lazy timeskip to morning and relied on the audience having to "make up" what really happened. I mean, if the whole episode is just supposed to be a symbolic "God/fate saved the day multiple times," then why am I even invested in what happened at all?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Another thoughtful and good episode and goons can't stand it? What a surprise.

It's not just "goons" though, if you read any comment section the sentiment is much the same. Your opinion is a valid one, but it's very apparent that it isn't the majority one, which means the writers are not playing to their audience. The vast majority of people that watch this don't want long, drawn out thoughtful scenes to dominate multiple consecutive episodes. Sure, having a few dotted around is good and necessary, and I think seasons 3 and 4 have had the best balance so far, but what they're trying to do now strays too far away from what the core audience wants out of the show, and it's to the show's detriment in the eyes of many.

The show has been running for half a decade. If the writers don't know their audience by now then what does that say about them?

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
I really liked the part where Rick delivered that awful line from the comics or whatever and Daryl just shot it down immediately.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Gortarius posted:

I really liked the part where Rick delivered that awful line from the comics or whatever and Daryl just shot it down immediately.

I did have to chuckle as well at that. Big intense moment (**HE SAID THE NAME OF THE SHOW!**) and basically got a big 'nah'

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

TraderStav posted:

I did have to chuckle as well at that. Big intense moment (**HE SAID THE NAME OF THE SHOW!**) and basically got a big 'nah'

Someone else said it already, but didn't they already use that line many moons ago?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Cactus posted:

Someone else said it already, but didn't they already use that line many moons ago?

Think that was 'they're loving with the wrong people'

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Cactus posted:

It's not just "goons" though, if you read any comment section the sentiment is much the same. Your opinion is a valid one, but it's very apparent that it isn't the majority one, which means the writers are not playing to their audience. The vast majority of people that watch this don't want long, drawn out thoughtful scenes to dominate multiple consecutive episodes. Sure, having a few dotted around is good and necessary, and I think seasons 3 and 4 have had the best balance so far, but what they're trying to do now strays too far away from what the core audience wants out of the show, and it's to the show's detriment in the eyes of many.

The show has been running for half a decade. If the writers don't know their audience by now then what does that say about them?
I'd much rather they do their own thing even if it misfires than pander to The Audience, especially with a show that has an audience as terrible as this one's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
Really, the only reason I continue watching this show is because when it does finally have a finale, and it inevitably botches it horribly, it will be supremely satisfying. I know that's awful and god drat what a waste of dozens of hours of my life but I really enjoy hating this show.

• Locked thread