Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

They said it's because they don't have women to do voice acting, so no.

More specifically, they're worried that if they have someone voice her now and then they decide to do an episode where she's a main character they might not be able to get the same voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

They said it's because they don't have women to do voice acting, so no.

then who did Triana, Kim, Ginnie and the Quymns?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Triana is voiced by Doc Hammer's ex-wife. Nina Hellman does most of the female voices it seems.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Machai posted:

then who did Triana, Kim, Ginnie and the Quymns?

One-off voice actresses who they didn't need to have return, and Triana was voiced by Doc Hammer's (now ex) wife. She was presumably written off the show because she didn't want to commit to appearing in future seasons after S4, but I don't know that for a fact.

I think the only remaining recurring women are Dr Girlfriend, Sally Impossible, and Molotov.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 16, 2015

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Sash! posted:

More specifically, they're worried that if they have someone voice her now and then they decide to do an episode where she's a main character they might not be able to get the same voice.

Pff, when has that ever happened.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtmndVpJrW8&t=6s

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Just give her Monstroso's voice. :colbert:

Nothus Infelix
Jan 1, 2006
Scelesti vulgus superstitiosus ignavusque sunt.

drrockso20 posted:

I forgot about them, although I'm not sure if we should count the Monarch's yet if mostly cause we've only seen a photo of her
We saw her in the Spanakopita flashback, too.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

After Action Man's wife's voice, they might as well just voice all the women as Monty Python style pepperpots.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

afterhours posted:

After watching All This and Gargantua-2, I've started marathoning the series again from the start. I just watched Showdown at Cremation Creek (Part II) and I was wondering: what's the deal with Dean's elaborate fantasy adventure? At the end, Brock makes a statement that sounds like this isn't the first time he's hallucinated. I assume it was part of his panic attack, but maybe I missed something?

I don't have any complete answers but I think they were trying to get across that Dean has been left mentally unwell by his lifestyle and that sometimes that manifests in little breaks from reality; even if it hasn't happened on camera since. One parallel I would draw would be with the episode in season 4 where Dean is learning to become a super scientist through Progressive Rock and has a very similar type of fantasy while searching for inspiration.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Has Triana's mother ever spoken? The Master took on her form but obviously was speaking in his own voice, and I can't recall any of the scenes she has appeared in featuring her actually talking.
I think Jackson and Hammer said that they wanted to make an episode with her in a big role and preferred to wait until then to cast her, so as to avoid having her voice actress change right before her day in the limelight.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I dunno, every time I suggest that maybe the massive hiatus between seasons might in part be because Adult Swim needs to spend a buck on the show, everyone starts flipping out about "NO NO NO IT'S JUST THEIR MASTER ARTISTIC VISION, THEY HAVE ENOUGH MONEY, EVERYTHING IS PERFECT :supaburn:" but not being able to get another woman or two in the recording studio sounds like a budget problem to me.

I don't buy the "we might not be able to get the same actor" poo poo either. Yeah okay Stephen Colbert that's one thing, but you're telling me there's a huge risk that a professional voice actor is going to become impossibly booked up? Please.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

They make a point of not using professional voice actors, that's why most of the the main people outside of Dean are New York theater guys.

E: and Brock, and they've talked about how they cut Brock out of episodes to save money on the voice acting budget.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I dunno, every time I suggest that maybe the massive hiatus between seasons might in part be because Adult Swim needs to spend a buck on the show, everyone starts flipping out about "NO NO NO IT'S JUST THEIR MASTER ARTISTIC VISION, THEY HAVE ENOUGH MONEY, EVERYTHING IS PERFECT :supaburn:" but not being able to get another woman or two in the recording studio sounds like a budget problem to me.

Judging from the commentaries, its literally both of them at the same time.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Doc Hammer and Jackson Publick are: 1. insane and basically create this show for themselves, as well as 2. mostly by themselves, on a shoestring budget. If either of these things were not true then the waits between seasons would be shorter.

- If Hammer and Publick didn't require complete control over the storyboard and writing, they could get stuff done more quickly even on a small budget, though the show wouldn't be as fluid and interconnected as it is now.
- If they had a bigger budget, they could hand off ancillary responsibilities to others and focus on the core parts of the writing and development, and less on the minutiae. This would still take a long time, most major cartoons have multiple writers and story-boarders and they insist on doing that all themselves. But it would be quicker and the production values would be better.

But they're, yeah, both true, and that's why we wait for three or so years until new seasons are released.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Next to Louie, TVB is just about the most auteur thing on TV and if waiting forever for new seasons is the price of that then I'm fine with it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I'm still amazed Adult Swim doesn't give them a larger budget, considering the show is one of their most critically acclaimed properties

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Also, at twelve years old, its one of their oldest shows!

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

JT Jag posted:

But it would be quicker and the production values would be better.
I find the production value of the series to be very good now, it has been since season 3 for me, with season 5 having some of the most beautiful backgrounds.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

This is from a page back, but should we assume Rusty even has a mother? Jonas Sr. had plenty of children by women but none he was willing to identify as his own. He probably just grew Rusty and Jonas Jr. in his lab.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Dazerbeams posted:

This is from a page back, but should we assume Rusty even has a mother? Jonas Sr. had plenty of children by women but none he was willing to identify as his own. He probably just grew Rusty and Jonas Jr. in his lab.

There are flashbacks of them in the womb

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Machai posted:

A womb. Artificially grown. Or possibly a gorilla womb.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Machai posted:

That was just a dream, though?

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

The identity of the Venture Mothers is one of those things I doubt they'll ever actually resolve, because they've built the mystery to a point where there can't really be a satisfying answer.

Like, do we even know who killed 24? Would that reveal carry any weight at this point?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

I'm still amazed Adult Swim doesn't give them a larger budget, considering the show is one of their most critically acclaimed properties

Critical acclaim doesn't necessarily equal returns on investment via advertisers or merch though

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Yeah, it was just a dream, but I'm pretty sure Rusty was of woman born, or at least from his mother's womb untimely ripp'd.

Wouldn't it be just the most Jonas thing ever if he impregnated one of his female lab assistants and then... well, lost interest in her after Rusty was weaned? She's still probably in Africa somewhere, doing research on something, waiting for Dr. V to pick her up and bring her home to baby, who she hasn't seen since the series finale of Rusty Venture.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

WrathOfBlade posted:

Like, do we even know who killed 24? Would that reveal carry any weight at this point?

Gary's pretty sure it was the Moppets. But the Moppets are supposedly dead, even though *we* never saw them die.

"Hench has killed Hench. Hench has killed Hench!"

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 17, 2015

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

WrathOfBlade posted:

The identity of the Venture Mothers is one of those things I doubt they'll ever actually resolve, because they've built the mystery to a point where there can't really be a satisfying answer.

It probably wouldn't hold much weight now. But anyway, 24 was killed when the monarchmobile was detonated by Tim tom and kevin (and 21's cowardice). I didn't think that was a mystery.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Gary's pretty sure it was the Moppets. But the Moppets are supposedly dead, even though *we* never saw them die.

They, and all the non-21 henchmen, were in The Cocoon when Vatred shot it with his hovertank. It crashed horribly and blew up.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Did they ever actually give us a reason to think the Moppets did it, apart from the fact that they are little shits with a habit of ruining everything?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

WrathOfBlade posted:

Did they ever actually give us a reason to think the Moppets did it, apart from the fact that they are little shits with a habit of ruining everything?

they snuck into 21's room to cross their name off of his list - not exactly damning but it certainly points in that direction

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Phylodox posted:

Or possibly a gorilla womb.

Can they even do that?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

WrathOfBlade posted:

The identity of the Venture Mothers is one of those things I doubt they'll ever actually resolve, because they've built the mystery to a point where there can't really be a satisfying answer. the show is such a raging sausage festival boys' club

I love Venture Brothers, but it's very much like Achewood in the sense that most of the women are props for the men to play off of.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I love Venture Brothers, but it's very much like Achewood in the sense that most of the women are props for the men to play off of.
Except for Dr. Ms The Monarch, I hope?

say no to scurvy
Nov 29, 2008

It is always Scurvy Prevention Week.

X_Toad posted:

Except for Dr. Ms The Monarch, I hope?

Eh, it doesn't really count if the only strong female character is written and voiced by a man.

EDIT:\/\/\/\/The the only girl I know is my wife corollary in action.

say no to scurvy fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 17, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

say no to scurvy posted:

Eh, it doesn't really count if the only strong female character is written and voiced by a man.

Triana was getting too powerful, so they made her go away to 'train.' Like Poochie.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

say no to scurvy posted:

Probably 80% of female characters everywhere are written by men.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Rusty is his own mother and father.

- or -

Dean gets huge during college and time travels into the past to become Jonas Sr

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

To become his own grandfather?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Dazerbeams posted:

The nasty in the past-y?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Dazerbeams posted:

Yes, then he goes back to the future, which is why no one knows what happened to Jonas!

Or the alien-Jonas was pulling some Obi-Wan level lying and was the entity the raised Rusty as a boy but wasn't his genetic father, thus covering the whole "I'm not your dad" thing.

I figure if I preemptively make up insane theories, it'll stop people from developing and then defending them.

Whole series is a dream dreamt by the last Hank as he lays dying in an alley. Camera pulls back...and he's wearing Robin's costume, while Batman looks on.

Sash! fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 18, 2015