Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Kyte posted:

Endeavor's facial hair is on the next level.

highlight of the loving chapter, that is the greatest facial hair in anime of all time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

This series is just so ridiculously good. I love it. I also loved Tetsutetsu's squad coming out of nowhere, I didn't even notice them ranking third at the beginning of the chapter. Any idea who team "Kendou" is?

edit: tetsutetsu tetsutetsu

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

highlight of the loving chapter, that is the greatest facial hair in anime of all time

He's basically Chamber from the Marvel universe.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
That was RAD AS HELL!

I just love how the supporting cast isn't just there to make the main characters look good. They contribute stuff and even in cases like this, save the day. It's really refreshing.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I really like Bakugou's character. He's an unapologetic rear end, but ever since his match with Deku he learned his limitations. Instead of using this to make him not be as much of an rear end anymore, the manga just went ahead with him piling on more and more pressure on himself to try to be the best. And this most recent chapter he was just being the raddest of them all. Really can't help but cheer for the guy.

...Hell, I can't help but cheer for all of them. Actually find myself liking most of the cast. Katy Perry dude is the only one I'm not a huge fan of so far, and even him I'm mostly neutral on.

Also most importantly, Navel guy somehow made it to the next round which fills my heart with endless amounts of joy.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DrSunshine posted:

He's basically Chamber from the Marvel universe.

nah, chamber's much more horrifying

Hopeford posted:

Also most importantly, Navel guy somehow made it to the next round which fills my heart with endless amounts of joy.

i kind of wanted to find out what skull kid's power was though. oh well, i'm sure it will happen eventually

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011

Tollymain posted:

i kind of wanted to find out what skull kid's power was though. oh well, i'm sure it will happen eventually

I think we'll all be fine as long as his power has nothing to do with masks or moons.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
Skull kid? You talking about Shinsou? I get the impression he has some kind of mind control quirk.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Piriwi posted:

Skull kid? You talking about Shinsou? I get the impression he has some kind of mind control quirk.

Clearly the only way to know for sure is to decipher the pun in his name.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hopeford posted:

I really like Bakugou's character. He's an unapologetic rear end, but ever since his match with Deku he learned his limitations. Instead of using this to make him not be as much of an rear end anymore, the manga just went ahead with him piling on more and more pressure on himself to try to be the best. And this most recent chapter he was just being the raddest of them all. Really can't help but cheer for the guy.

...Hell, I can't help but cheer for all of them. Actually find myself liking most of the cast. Katy Perry dude is the only one I'm not a huge fan of so far, and even him I'm mostly neutral on.

Katy Perry dude?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it's another oh-so-clever nickname for todoroki

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Probably based on one of her songs.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Katy Perry dude?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTHNpusq654

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Cake Attack posted:

it's another oh-so-clever nickname for todoroki

People who are still trying to make jokes on that are really just starting to be stupid. It was reaching three weeks ago, it's not gonna suddenly be funny again now.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Do the kids get to pick their own superhero name or has it not been mentioned yet?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
We haven't gotten that far yet, but it doesn't stop most of us from giving nicknames to them anyway.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

KittyEmpress posted:

People who are still trying to make jokes on that are really just starting to be stupid. It was reaching three weeks ago, it's not gonna suddenly be funny again now.

I wasn't even reading this thread a few weeks, so...uh, okay, sorry didn't know this was a thing for the thread. Just call characters whatever if I don't remember their names.

Hopeford fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 16, 2015

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Hopeford posted:

I wasn't even reading this thread a few weeks, so...uh, okay, sorry didn't know this was a thing for the thread. Just call characters whatever if I don't remember their names.

Sorry. People started pointing out that everyone was calling him variations on Icy Hot/Hot and Cold/Frostburn or whatever on page like, 15, and ever since then literally every time he comes up in conversation, people make up more and more reaching references to how he can use fire AND ice!!!

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

KittyEmpress posted:

Sorry. People started pointing out that everyone was calling him variations on Icy Hot/Hot and Cold/Frostburn or whatever on page like, 15, and ever since then literally every time he comes up in conversation, people make up more and more reaching references to how he can use fire AND ice!!!

Oh okay, yeah I can see how that would get old fast. I'll just remember his actual name then.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Besides, if you're making up stupid nicknames for Todoroki, go Peace Walker or go home.

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

GoatLord posted:

Besides, if you're making up stupid nicknames for Todoroki, go Peace Walker or go home.

I TOTALLY was gonna post this because goddamnm, thats basically the winner

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Marvel Comic's character Equinox.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
To me he will always be the Son of Ice and Fire.

I just hope that when everyone does get code names, that they are half as inventive as the ones in this thread. If we get stuck with some badly romanized names like Ywach and Quwrof Wrlccywrlir, then that might kill my love of this series.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The concept art for a number of the characters had hero names for them, but who knows if those names will be used.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Piriwi posted:

No, the kid who placed #5 in the race.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006

Quicksand quirk? Puddle power?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh, i guess i failed to remember that :downs:

i'm going to guess it's something on a burial theme

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DeadBonesBrook posted:

To me he will always be the Son of Ice and Fire.

'Negative Kelvin'.

Someone, go back through this thread and make a list.
I would, but I'm pathologically lazy.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Bakugou is great, like Joffrey.

Say Nothing posted:

'Negative Kelvin'.

genius

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Why isn't anyone talking about how Deku managed to use his power without exploding his arm? It pretty much opens up the plot structure, since he won't need to go to the hospital every single time he uses it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Should we open up a book on how many chapters Deku will need to fully master All For One?

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Green Intern posted:

Why isn't anyone talking about how Deku managed to use his power without exploding his arm? It pretty much opens up the plot structure, since he won't need to go to the hospital every single time he uses it.

It's because he didn't actually "use" it. He swung in the air to cause an air current powerful enough to blow his hand out of the way. Had he actually made contact he would have gibbed IcyHot's arm while probably breaking a finger or two. The real test is seeing if he can actually control his hits against someone weaker than him without gibbing either person.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

It's because he didn't actually "use" it. He swung in the air to cause an air current powerful enough to blow his hand out of the way. Had he actually made contact he would have gibbed IcyHot's arm while probably breaking a finger or two. The real test is seeing if he can actually control his hits against someone weaker than him without gibbing either person.

If air pressure will do the job, why even bother trying to fine-tune your power until you can hit someone slightly less lethally? Just stop in front of their face and let the shockwave do its thing.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

If air pressure will do the job, why even bother trying to fine-tune your power until you can hit someone slightly less lethally? Just stop in front of their face and let the shockwave do its thing.

Because people like Nomu and Venomous Chainsaw exist. There's also the issue of being able to control it so you can save people from destroyed buildings rather than cause them to collapse even further and kill everyone.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Hah! That'd be hilarious! A superhero where everyone thinks his superpower is to create blasts of air, or whatever, when it's actually super-strength and he's just punching the air really really hard.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

I'm not sure what kanji his name uses but it looks like name has something to do with manipulating bones.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

I think that Deku's body not being able to handle the strain of the power All for One provides is a part of the reason why he gets injured. Otherwise, All Might would have given him the quirk right away and not spent the summer working out with Deku.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Kuroyama posted:

I think that Deku's body not being able to handle the strain of the power All for One provides is a part of the reason why he gets injured. Otherwise, All Might would have given him the quirk right away and not spent the summer working out with Deku.

That was one part of it. Remember that his body not only has to be strong and grow accustomed to it, but he also has to learn how to control the output of it. I'm referencing back to All Might talking about how a kid who's quirk involves growing a new tail where the kid wouldn't have complete control of it at first and would have to learn how to use it. Except replace tail with nuclear explosion level of punching.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
You'd think that All Might would maybe try to train Midoriya a bit more in-person since very slightly loving up with the use of his power leads to death and dismemberment but then I think it's been like...a month, month and a half since school even started?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Fabricated posted:

You'd think that All Might would maybe try to train Midoriya a bit more in-person since very slightly loving up with the use of his power leads to death and dismemberment but then I think it's been like...a month, month and a half since school even started?

He can't because if he spends more time with him he'd be seen as favoring Midoriya, and someone might either target Mido to get to All-might or connect the dots.