Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

SYSV Fanfic posted:

sudo sh nvidia-xx.x.xx.sh - who neds package management?

I don't think you can do that on fedora because of selinux, i do use the nvidia installer on mint/ubuntu/debian though and its pretty simple

Awia posted:

i cant really remember now because it was a while ago, but i tried to install them using the package manager and it pulled down everything minus the 64bit poo poo, which i obvs needed so i had to go and find that myself

i think you did something wrong, try http://rpmfusion.org/Howto/nVidia next time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Celexi posted:

i think you did something wrong, try http://rpmfusion.org/Howto/nVidia next time
that is the exact guide i followed

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Last Chance posted:

why would you need to install gfx drivers on a headless linux server?

this is the Linux on the Dekstop thread, you illiterate dullard. GTFO

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MrMoo posted:

Linux, BSD, Solaris, etc all can run the same apps and UI so by definition one cannot really excel that far. Aside of critical missing pieces like running Microsoft Office well a lot of the problems come down to system integration and Linux always takes the lead due to more active development. Ironically BSD land will need a Systemd and pulse audio equivalent to improve their integration support.

If the existing user land integration worked the Unix desktop would have been completed 20+ years ago.

solaris and bsd can't run mainline gnome anymore.
  • solaris 11 ships with gnome 2.something from before systemd.

• freebsd has a "systemd-shim" that emulates systemd behavior + a patchset for gnome.

• openbsd/netbsd systems are probably just poo poo outta luck

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 17, 2015

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

cthulhoo posted:

:siren: :psyduck: :siren:

Luke Wolf, a KDE developer, argues that PC-BSD might become a serious desktop OS contender by year 2020, since Linux so far has failed to grasp any serious market share.

"PC-BSD on the other hand in fitting with the BSD mindset of holistic solutions is focused on developing desktop features and is moving rapidly to implement them."

so are all kde devs retarded fuckwits or is it just this one special pissflower, i mean going by the product they output id say all of them but

kde takes an active interest in non-linux ports, so nothing stops you from being both a pcbsd crazy and an active contributor to kde.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Smythe posted:

this is the Linux on the Dekstop thread, you illiterate dullard. GTFO
oh i thought the thread title was a joke

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

kde takes an active interest in non-linux ports, so nothing stops you from being both a pcbsd crazy and an active contributor to kde.

They're in the same boat we're in: systemd APIs own and are the best, if you want to port them to BSD, be my guest.

http://blog.davidedmundson.co.uk/blog/systemd-and-plasma

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

They're in the same boat we're in: systemd APIs own and are the best, if you want to port them to BSD, be my guest.

http://blog.davidedmundson.co.uk/blog/systemd-and-plasma

kde is evaluating systemd's impact on non-linux ports before diving in, instead of creating a hard dependency that renders the desktop suite useless for some fraction of users

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
gnome just told all non-linux users to go gently caress themselves, pre-emptively. that's a very different boat. see also: the thing about the minimize button

1. project states all bsd users can/should go gently caress themselves
2. bsd users and contributors disappear
3. well clearly we don't need bsd support, because there are no gnome users on bsd

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
GNOME never had a hard dependency on systemd and plenty of OpenBSD/FreeBSD contributors still exist (Antoine Jacoutot has been doing work on both).

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Linux DRI is being ported over to *BSD as it develops in Linux, Wayland has some contributors that steadfastly delete Linux-isms from the code and replace them with OS abstraction layers (kqueue vs epoll, the usual poo poo), GLib recently said something like "look if we can't even test our poo poo on your platform then we're not going to carry the code in Git" and then got some more BSD contributors as a result

BSD still needs some equivalent of logind though, and something like D-Bus needs to exist systemwide for the purposes of privilege separation, if nothing else.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

• freebsd has a "systemd-shim" that emulates systemd behavior + a patchset for gnome.

actually openbsd supports gnome 3 flawlessly, and as of a few months ago gnome 3 is live on freebsd as well but still a bit rough last I checked

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
why would openbsd support gnome flawlessly but freebsd be rough?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Maximum Leader posted:

Because they're more or less managed entirely separately, although they do exchange some code. Theo forked OpenBSD a long time ago, and they're quite different at this point. As I recall the port to OpenBSD was primarily due to one dude who did the bulk of the work; apparently most of their devs work on laptops with gnome; who knew?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
they seem more like an fvwm/xfce type crowd to me

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Mr Dog posted:

they seem more like an fvwm/xfce type crowd to me

I dunno, they've never struck me as remarkably smart and attractive

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Soricidus posted:

I dunno, they've never struck me as remarkably smart and attractive

its unbelievable to me that ppl with this opinion exist in the same reality as i do

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Open bsd lol who even uses that trash

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I could see using FVWM with rxvt and Midori actually

after all, it turns out that nmcli doesn't suck horribly these days

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

netbsd is clearly the best bsd.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

OldAlias posted:

unironically agree wuth thius post

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Let me also say that it is true that most of GNOME development happens on Linux, not BSD. And my personal opinion is that we should charge ahead with Linux as the kernel, not BSD, because it is better and more innovative, technology-wise. But that opinion has nothing to do with what we release as a project.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

I don't think the BSD community expects you to go to great lengths to deploy to their architecture. I expect eventually they'll work in compatibility with systemd of some sort, as right now it's a lot of work to port over.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

OldAlias posted:

and notorious is the worst bsd

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Maximum Leader posted:

because openbsd, netbsd, and freebsd split in 1993

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cocoa Crispies posted:

and notorious is the worst bsd

ironically i hate bsd

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
why? bsds are very conservative, seems like it'd be right up ur alley

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

why? bsds are very conservative, seems like it'd be right up ur alley

packages
patching
ps -ef

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

OldAlias posted:

gently caress that dragonfly master race

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

annapacketstormaya posted:

dfbsd => dillon's freebsd

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

netbsd products

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
speecys corp confidential

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ironically i hate bsd

same but unironically *fartz*

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

don't want to post the video it hurts

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

annapacketstormaya posted:

but how will i run my critical production playstation 2 apache server

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

OldAlias posted:

don't want to post the video it hurts

pm me

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
in teh future everything will be a kawaii anime girl

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

You say this like its a bad thing.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
it'll be a good thing if they start shipping with something other than gnome as default

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
kubuntu 15.04 and fedora 22 kde spin gonna use plasma 5 by default. If this is anything like KDE 4 it will be terrible.