Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Sports Illustrated just cut everyone in their photojournalism dept. :smith:

https://nppa.org/node/69374

DJExile fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

DJExile posted:

Sports Illustrated just cut everyone in their photojournalism dept. :smith:

https://nppa.org/node/69374
Came here to post this. Yikes.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
SI's photog layoffs are really disheartening, hurts even more than other staff cuts in recent years. :( Those guys are obviously some of the best in the business. There's no way DP Brad Smith actually expects anybody to believe the ludicrous line "Our commitment to photography is as strong as ever, and we will continue to create the best original content possible."

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BobTheCow posted:

SI's photog layoffs are really disheartening, hurts even more than other staff cuts in recent years. :( Those guys are obviously some of the best in the business. There's no way DP Brad Smith actually expects anybody to believe the ludicrous line "Our commitment to photography is as strong as ever, and we will continue to create the best original content possible."

It's basically the nicest way he could think to say "We're totally gonna hire them back as freelancers. Totally."

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

DJExile posted:

It's basically the nicest way he could think to say "We're totally gonna hire them back as freelancers. Totally."

"We're big fans of the 'Illustrated' part of our name, we're just even bigger fans of not paying health insurance or a living wage."

widunder
May 2, 2002

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

North Star Roller Girls had a couple of bouts this weekend. It was my first time shooting in their new location which is lit much better than their old location. It's also a lot more friendly to getting up and walking around near trackside to get pictures which I think I'll take advantage of next time.

2015-01-31-NSRG Wheels of Misfortune-09 by kdrudy, on Flickr

2015-01-31-NSRG Wheels of Misfortune-16 by kdrudy, on Flickr

2015-01-31-NSRG Wheels of Misfortune-25 by kdrudy, on Flickr

2015-01-31-NSRG Wheels of Misfortune-42 by kdrudy, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Your first and second are pretty solid. The 2nd one could use a crop on each side. It might also be me but everything seems underexposed by a bit. Why were you shooting in Auto, if I can ask?

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

DJExile posted:

Your first and second are pretty solid. The 2nd one could use a crop on each side. It might also be me but everything seems underexposed by a bit. Why were you shooting in Auto, if I can ask?

I generally shoot on Shutter Priority whenever I do sports, that's what I had going here. They might be a bit underexposed due to my post work, the old location they skated at had worse lighting so I'm used to these pictures being a bit darker, I bet I darkened them a bit when working on them afterwards.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

kdrudy posted:

I generally shoot on Shutter Priority whenever I do sports, that's what I had going here. They might be a bit underexposed due to my post work, the old location they skated at had worse lighting so I'm used to these pictures being a bit darker, I bet I darkened them a bit when working on them afterwards.

Ah, your Exif said auto but maybe I misread it (entirely possible). I can definitely understand the issue with awful lighting though, that's no fun.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

kdrudy posted:

Real talk: aperture priority is generally going to be A Better Idea. Usually you're going to want your shutter speed as high as possible and your ISO as low as possible. A shot at 1/1000th, 2.8 and ISO 3200 is going to look objectively nicer than a shot at 1/1000th, f/4, and ISO 6400 because with the increase in ISO comes an increase in noise, a decrease in color depth, and a decrease in dynamic range. Reducing the noise makes your shot softer, and you can't really get back the dynamic range and color depth. A lower aperture also means your main subject is going to be a bit more separated from the background thanks to a shallower depth of field. The argument against a lower aperture is that lenses are, all things equal, sharper when they're stopped down a little, and because a deeper depth of field gives your autofocus a little wiggle room and helps keep multiple subjects in focus. That being said, I'm confident that the sharpness boost from stopping down a stop is far overshadowed by the benefits of a faster shutter speed (f/2.8 and f/4 is the difference between 1/500th and 1/1000th, which is huge for motion blur in sports) or of a decrease in ISO (the difference between ISO3200 and ISO6400, which is a big deal for noise). Also, typically your autofocus is either going to nail it or miss it; a shot that's on the cusp of being in focus isn't really going to be helped by the amount of depth of field that a stop or so is going to provide. The acceptable sharpness range is still thin at the distances and focal lengths you're using.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah shutter priority is great when you want to slow it down to pan and track things like cars, bikes, runners, etc. But when you're inside and have lovely light, you want that aperture as wide open as possible.

E: Well, OK, if you have an f/1.8 or f/1.4 then you might be a little silly to be wide open, but you want it to be at least at f/2.8, if not wider.

E: Here's a good comparison.

P1289034 by PhotoBen27, on Flickr

lovely light, dark uniforms. At f/2.8 and 1600 ISO this shot almost doesn't work because it's at 1/200. I got a little lucky and can say (or at least convince myself :v: )the motion blur reflects the energy of the moment (center kid scored an overtime goal over their rival) and by sheer goddamn luck, the goal scorer himself is mostly stopped in his motion and mostly in focus. Still, this shot basically doesn't happen if I have it at shutter priority, because it would probably crank the ISO to absolutely hosed levels.

Untitled by PhotoBen27, on Flickr

Same rink with lovely light, another team with dark uniforms. Now we're all the way open to f/2.0. Still at ISO 1600 but now we get a speed of 1/400, which completely freezes #13's motion. I know f/2.0 doesn't happen on most lenses, but this is why you want to keep things pretty wide open.

Neither of those are my best pictures but it gives you at least a good idea of how things can change.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 2, 2015

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

That all makes a lot of sense, next time I'm shooting there I'll switch to aperture and see how it goes.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Cool. None of that is to say your shots are crap, to be sure. They're good shots and I know it's a nightmare to freeze that motion well in bad light.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
Doing any kind of sports photography in badly lit gyms is a nightmare in general.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
Just finished shooting some volleyball inside a gym with those crazy overhead lamps.

White balance? gently caress your white balance.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Miko posted:

Just finished shooting some volleyball inside a gym with those crazy overhead lamps.

Especially when it's like in one frame, you've got like three different colors coming from three different lamps. Green, pink, white, yellow, gently caress you!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Miko posted:

Oh man, new thread title right here

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
^^^^^ They installed brand new LED lighting in the basketball arena here last year and the ability to pick a white balance and not have three colors come out of it in each frame is simply mindboggling.

A few things from the past month:

:argh:

Finally got that first ACC win :unsmith:

And now for something completely different. The wrestling team is having a one-off series of matches inside a brand new performing arts building on campus instead of the usual arena (the basketball arena), which is so very weird and fun to shoot in. Almost black backgrounds from certain angles makes it like a photoshoot at times.

Frinkahedron fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 4, 2015

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
I finally got my remote camera-setup up and running. Connected my 5D3 (main camera) with my 7D (backup). Placed the 7D behind the goal and fired the shutter while firing the 5D3. It was surprisingly easy with the Phottix Strato II Multi-kit.

Now I just need to find out where to put the 7D to get the focus/image right...

widunder
May 2, 2002

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe

ReAwakening 2014 by bang3rachi, on Flickr

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal
I've not done sports photography before, but I just got a sony A7ii and wanted to see how it performed. I'm pretty happy with it, but the light in the gym definitely sucked (as I was warned of ahead of time).

Oregon BBall Feb 13th 2015-58 by Viper_X83, on Flickr

Oregon BBall Feb 13th 2015-54 by Viper_X83, on Flickr

Oregon BBall Feb 13th 2015-25 by Viper_X83, on Flickr

Oregon BBall Feb 13th 2015-14 by Viper_X83, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

These overall are solid but many of them feel like they're far too wide, the 2nd, 4th and 5th ones especially. 3rd one really needs to be from the front. First one is good but can use a crop on the left and from the top.

JohnClark posted:

I've not done sports photography before, but I just got a sony A7ii and wanted to see how it performed. I'm pretty happy with it, but the light in the gym definitely sucked (as I was warned of ahead of time).

Oregon BBall Feb 13th 2015-58 by Viper_X83, on Flickr

Oregon BBall Feb 13th 2015-54 by Viper_X83, on Flickr

Oregon BBall Feb 13th 2015-25 by Viper_X83, on Flickr

Oregon BBall Feb 13th 2015-14 by Viper_X83, on Flickr

The gym isn't helping you at all but all of these seem underexposed and have their W/B off. Indoor arenas are brutal but first thing you'll wanna do when you get to these places is take white balance from an official, a white jersey, something. All of them need some strong crops. The 2nd one should be cropped to only include the 3 girls around the ball. Crop the 3rd to take out the assistant and the other girls on the bench. The focus is good and the moments are good, but you're gonna need either a longer lens or to crop things in tighter.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

DJExile posted:

The gym isn't helping you at all but all of these seem underexposed and have their W/B off. Indoor arenas are brutal but first thing you'll wanna do when you get to these places is take white balance from an official, a white jersey, something. All of them need some strong crops. The 2nd one should be cropped to only include the 3 girls around the ball. Crop the 3rd to take out the assistant and the other girls on the bench. The focus is good and the moments are good, but you're gonna need either a longer lens or to crop things in tighter.
Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate any critique I can get. A friend did tell me to do the custom white balance and it completely slipped my mind. I'm shooting two more games this week, do you usually just have someone hold a white sheet of paper at the foul line and use that for WB, or is there a better technique?

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
More HAH SCHOOL SPORTS. Of course my favorite images would be of the team that got crushed.

NKPH6607 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

NKPH7040 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

NKPH7059 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

NKPH7327 by nick.kneer, on Flickr
Had the wide angle on right as the game was ending for crowd stuff when there was a fast break so I figured I'd shoot. Didn't turn out too badly.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

JohnClark posted:

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate any critique I can get. A friend did tell me to do the custom white balance and it completely slipped my mind. I'm shooting two more games this week, do you usually just have someone hold a white sheet of paper at the foul line and use that for WB, or is there a better technique?

Easiest thing will be to point it at a player wearing white that's out on the court somewhere, maybe during warmups. If you're shooting that same team in the white/orange again, you should be good to go. You may also want to try center-metering your shots as well and see if that helps. If you're shooting RAW, you can adjust everything in post pretty easily, but getting the W/B set ahead of time really helps the process go smoother. Also, do not worry about aspect ratios or anything. Crop crop crop crop crop! Unless you've got good reason to have a wide angle on something, like this:

the rule of thumb is "two faces and a ball". If your lens won't let you get in close enough, do what you can to get close, then crop like hell.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Crops be damned, this is amazing.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I feel like pro wrestling is somewhat different that ball sports, being that its more of a staged performance than an contest of athleticism. The wider angle acknowledges that and puts the performers in context.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Miko posted:

Crops be damned, this is amazing.

hi liter posted:

I feel like pro wrestling is somewhat different that ball sports, being that its more of a staged performance than an contest of athleticism. The wider angle acknowledges that and puts the performers in context.

Yeah the more i think about it, the more i think you two are right

Miko
May 20, 2001

Goddamn, look at the crowd reactions. And the bits of stuff exploding everywhere.

Those spotlights make for quite the dramatic scene.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
This last weekend was the Ben Hurt Chariot Wars. It's an annual event that happens in Portland, OR and is a completely wonderful shitshow. People build pedal powered chariots and battle one another. The goal is to render the other chariots inoperable or remove a competitor completely from their chariot until you are the last group pedaling. There's glitter bombs, explosives, mayhem, and this year, a hot tub on wheels.

_21H3275 by ryanlastname, on Flickr

_21H3106 by ryanlastname, on Flickr

_21H3069 by ryanlastname, on Flickr

_21H3273-Edit by ryanlastname, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

i have so many questions here and i'm not sure which one should start :psyduck:

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007

DJExile posted:

i have so many questions here and i'm not sure which one should start :psyduck:

After going for five plus years now, I'm pretty sure that's how every competitor and spectator feels.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

that hot tub is a thing of beauty

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

I tried to take DJExile's comments to heart, here's a few more from the same gym I shot previously:

Oregon vs Baraboo-10 by Viper_X83, on Flickr

Oregon vs Baraboo-26 by Viper_X83, on Flickr

Oregon vs Baraboo-30 by Viper_X83, on Flickr

Oregon vs Baraboo-32 by Viper_X83, on Flickr

This was their final regular season game so the girls were thrilled to get a win, and one of the seniors in particular got pretty emotional:
Oregon vs Baraboo-45 by Viper_X83, on Flickr

Shortly after the win the announcer got on the PA to tell everyone that their conference rivals had lost, giving them their first conference championship since 1983! One of the parents made them a big cake to celebrate the end of the season, but in their glee I don't think any of them actually ate it:
Oregon vs Baraboo-61 by Viper_X83, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

JohnClark posted:

I tried to take DJExile's comments to heart, here's a few more from the same gym I shot previously:

Oregon vs Baraboo-26 by Viper_X83, on Flickr

Oregon vs Baraboo-32 by Viper_X83, on Flickr

A photo editor is likely to reject these mostly because you aren't showing the faces. Unless it's a really compelling photo (game changer, etc) they are fairly worthless.

As far as the rest. Meh. They really aren't all that interesting.

I'd probably make this crop change. It's the best photo of the group.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

They're definitely improved. The W/B is much better from where they were, although the crying girl's jersey and shorts are still really gray. Your shot of #3 is definitely your strongest, but yeah, faces faces faces. The action isn't bad but seeing the action from behind or a back angle is rarely preferable.

Overall it's a solid improvement.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm going to keep on shooting them as long as they're in the playoffs, hopefully next year I'll be able to incorporate strobes into the setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

JohnClark posted:

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm going to keep on shooting them as long as they're in the playoffs, hopefully next year I'll be able to incorporate strobes into the setup.

They are going to spring for strobes in the ceiling for you?