Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I've been told by more than one Chinese person that Oppo (who makes the OnePlus One) is the budget brand among Chinese consumers, and that Huawei/ZTE are much preferable. YMMV but it's what I've been told by people whose opinions I trust.

Fwiw, in HK Huawei phones are sold in real stores and through carriers, and they have ads in magazines and on public transport. If it weren't for their Chinese name they'd appear as legit as any other android OEM. Oppo, on the other hand, are only sold at grey markets and I've ever only seen their ads in mainland China next to a knock-off Victoria's Secret.

mobby_6kl posted:

Beside being, like, half the price, that is.

Get an Xperia Z1 or a Nexus 5 + external charger or a used M8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Huawei is a real company with a full smartphone line up from cheapest $50 phone to $600 flagship phones that compete directly with the Galaxy S/Note series. It's basically the Chinese Cisco with a complete smartphone division. Oppo is much smaller. It started out as decent audio player company. I will give Oppo credit for being the first one who put out 1080p phone, and really the first Chinese brand that put loaded spec in a phone that can stand toe to toe with Korean's premium Android phones. I remember at the time every single person thought a 1080p screen on a phone was ridiculous.

OPO is kind of like Oppo's off brand experiment. Oppo doesn't want to risk losing face in the international market and decided to take one letter off its logo and went nuts with the internet marketing. This whole pre announce the device for half the price except you can't buy it for 6 months gimmick was from Xiaomi. It...kind of work for a company with minimal ad budget. In fact Asus is doing it with Zenfone 2. All the small players, they all have no shame.

Huawei actually tried very hard to enter the US market but Congress repeatedly put the kibosh on them.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Feb 17, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Huawei doesn't have any real flagship devices - even there higher end stuff is pretty rubbish (especially on the software side)

Not saying Oppo is any better though

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
My first Android phone was a Huawei. It had a trackball. :downs:

It had a bunch of issues but most of the early Androids did. The software support sucked and I haven't seen anything to encourage me to buy one again, especially with Motorola offering great phones with solid support.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

So I've got the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact and have a couple questions...

What's the general consensus on which case is best for this phone? I'm looking for something that is protective when the phone is dropped, and something to help secure the flaps on the side. Doesn't have to look fancy or be particularly sleek, just functional.

Also, one of the flaps on the side of the phone (the bottom one, not the one with the USB port) keeps working its way open without me doing anything to it. Some googling reveals that this is not a problem unique to my phone; any of you have any experience with this issue or know any fixes?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

whatever7 posted:

In fact Asus is doing it with Zenfone 2.

How so?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

isndl posted:

My first Android phone was a Huawei. It had a trackball. :downs:

It had a bunch of issues but most of the early Androids did. The software support sucked and I haven't seen anything to encourage me to buy one again, especially with Motorola offering great phones with solid support.

I bought a Huawei phone for use with TracFone and it poo poo the bed after like 3 weeks. The screen registered phantom touches, wouldn't register actual touches, would register touches in different areas on the screen. This was apparently a common problem across this model.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

SlayVus posted:

I bought a Huawei phone for use with TracFone and it poo poo the bed after like 3 weeks. The screen registered phantom touches, wouldn't register actual touches, would register touches in different areas on the screen. This was apparently a common problem across this model.

Me too except it was barely acceptable for about a year. I went looking for a cheap android phone lately and all the local stores had were like $100 or near to it, I got that huawei for $50 about 5 years ago

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

canadianclassic posted:

So I've got the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact and have a couple questions...

What's the general consensus on which case is best for this phone? I'm looking for something that is protective when the phone is dropped, and something to help secure the flaps on the side. Doesn't have to look fancy or be particularly sleek, just functional.

Also, one of the flaps on the side of the phone (the bottom one, not the one with the USB port) keeps working its way open without me doing anything to it. Some googling reveals that this is not a problem unique to my phone; any of you have any experience with this issue or know any fixes?

The incipio dualpro was the only case i could find for the Z3C with decent build quality. It covers everything except the usb /charging flap. It's also very very smooth, which is annoying as all hell. I got it yesterday, and am thinking of taking some low grit sandpaper to it to get some drat traction. It does look like it will protect from any angle, though, which is why I got it.

As far as the loose flap goes, if you're the original owner, you can send it back to Sony for a warranty repair. They'll want the receipt from when you bought it wrapped around the device, btw.

I actually bought a Z3C on Swappa with a loose usb flap on purpose, because the seller was dumb enough to describe it as 'secure' and was only charging $385. One trip to my local repair shop and a PayPal dispute later, and it was back in mint condition at no cost to me.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How much did your local shop charge for a "loose USB flap"?

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

whatever7 posted:

How much did your local shop charge for a "loose USB flap"?

It wasn't cheap, almost $40,which was why I recommended taking it to Sony first if possible. Also, I probably could've ordered the piece myself or taken it to a cheaper place, but I knew that it'd be done right, and fully water proof afterwards.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Mooktastical posted:

The incipio dualpro was the only case i could find for the Z3C with decent build quality. It covers everything except the usb /charging flap. It's also very very smooth, which is annoying as all hell. I got it yesterday, and am thinking of taking some low grit sandpaper to it to get some drat traction. It does look like it will protect from any angle, though, which is why I got it.

As far as the loose flap goes, if you're the original owner, you can send it back to Sony for a warranty repair. They'll want the receipt from when you bought it wrapped around the device, btw.

I actually bought a Z3C on Swappa with a loose usb flap on purpose, because the seller was dumb enough to describe it as 'secure' and was only charging $385. One trip to my local repair shop and a PayPal dispute later, and it was back in mint condition at no cost to me.

That covers up the magnetic port which sucks. That's the hard part about cases for this phone. I want to open those flaps as infrequent as possible. REALLY wish someone would have adapted the full size Z3 Qi case for the Z3c.

For a long while I went naked with Tempered Glass protectors on it (DO THIS). Recently I've been rocking one of those flip cover cases, but I ripped the flip cover off and just using the backing. It's a transparent skeleton with a little grip on the back and access to all ports including the magnetic port.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

TraderStav posted:

That covers up the magnetic port which sucks. That's the hard part about cases for this phone. I want to open those flaps as infrequent as possible. REALLY wish someone would have adapted the full size Z3 Qi case for the Z3c.

Well, there is the Z4 and Z4 Compact which will have built-in Qi and a sealed USB port so that means no more having to muck around with flaps. However they probably won't be out until this summer or autumn.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Edward IV posted:

Well, there is the Z4 and Z4 Compact which will have built-in Qi and a sealed USB port so that means no more having to muck around with flaps. However they probably won't be out until this summer or autumn.

I read in this thread that the Z4/Z4c got punted a half season (so Winter 15/16) as Sony is stepping away from 2/year releases. Also no guarantees on the built-in Qi, although it's in the plan.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Oh bummer. :(

Well, it's not like my Z3c is doing all that badly and I'm not itching to replace it. Still, built-in Qi, sealed USB, and a 1080p screen would me nice to have. Especially the sealed USB because the flap on my Z3c will come loose on its own and break the weather sealing. And because I use the Z3c as a secondary phone I don't often check the state of the flap.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 17, 2015

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Huawei phones are sold in Canada, I'm surprised they aren't in the states as well.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Mooktastical posted:

I got it yesterday, and am thinking of taking some low grit sandpaper to it to get some drat traction. It does look like it will protect from any angle, though, which is why I got it.

The answer is simple. Grip tape.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Just a quick question about the LG G3 - I'm reading reviews that say the battery is amazing and reviews that say the battery is terrible. Any consensus here? I need to get my wife's lovely old S3 replaced and battery life is one of her larger concerns.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

dphi posted:

Just a quick question about the LG G3 - I'm reading reviews that say the battery is amazing and reviews that say the battery is terrible. Any consensus here? I need to get my wife's lovely old S3 replaced and battery life is one of her larger concerns.

Somewhere in the middle - standby is really good for me, but actual screen on time kinda sucks.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

ninmeister posted:

:goonsay:

dphi posted:

IIRC the G3's QHD screen tanks its battery life. The Droid turbo is pretty awesome if you're on Verizon. If not, I recommend a Sony Z3/Z3C unless you're on sprint, in which case I recommend not being on Sprint.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Mooktastical posted:

IIRC the G3's QHD screen tanks its battery life. The Droid turbo is pretty awesome if you're on Verizon. If not, I recommend a Sony Z3/Z3C unless you're on sprint, in which case I recommend not being on Sprint.

I am on Sprint. I don't have any complaints on cell service or data speeds here in Portland, and Sprint is the only carrier that works reliably in the building I work.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

dphi posted:

Here's AnandTech's analysis. I wouldn't call it terrible, but it could be better. See if she can hold out for another month or so as the new models from HTC, Samsung and LG will be announced soon.

Mooktastical posted:

IIRC the G3's QHD screen tanks its battery life. The Droid turbo is pretty awesome.
The Turbo also has a QHD screen. It does have a bigger battery and a smaller screen with different tech, though.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

dphi posted:

I am on Sprint. I don't have any complaints on cell service or data speeds here in Portland, and Sprint is the only carrier that works reliably in the building I work.

Since the new phone is for your wife and not you maybe she would be better served with another mvno that allows the use of unlocked phones and is not limited by Sprint.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

SB35 posted:

Since the new phone is for your wife and not you maybe she would be better served with another mvno that allows the use of unlocked phones and is not limited by Sprint.

That's another thing I've been thinking as well - even bought a SIM from Ting for when they start offering GSM. Just not sure if I want to buy a phone outright at the moment.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

Mooktastical posted:

Thanks I'll check that one out.

The only issue with doing that is that I will be without a phone while the drat thing is in the mail. I'll take it to the retail place I got it from and look into options, thanks!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

butt dickus posted:

The Turbo also has a QHD screen. It does have a bigger battery and a smaller screen with different tech, though.

My Nexus 6's battery life is way better than my 1080p Note 3's so QHD doesn't necessarily mean bad battery life.

Also a lot of the new phones have turbo charging so even if you only have access to an outlet during a 30 minute lunch break it's more than enough.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Edward IV posted:

Intel is mandating a wireless charging method for laptops coming out this fall. Supposedly it can handle 8 devices. I'm really rather hoping that gets adopted for everything instead of Qi.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rezence_(wireless_charging_standard)

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

ilkhan posted:

Intel is mandating a wireless charging method for laptops coming out this fall. Supposedly it can handle 8 devices. I'm really rather hoping that gets adopted for everything instead of Qi.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rezence_(wireless_charging_standard)

Do you have a source for that mandate? I can't find anything about it, just that Intel was showing off their plans for Skylake. And why do you prefer Rezence over Qi?

I wonder if a magnetic resonance charging system would gently caress over external hard drives. Solid state is approaching standard, but a lot of people still have externals for cheap bulk storage.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

ninmeister posted:

Listen to this man. Do not sand it. Just stick the sandpaper ~on~ the phone.

-hotsauce :v:

(ya'll may be happy to learn I've moved on from the griptape stunt...)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

isndl posted:

Do you have a source for that mandate? I can't find anything about it, just that Intel was showing off their plans for Skylake. And why do you prefer Rezence over Qi?

I wonder if a magnetic resonance charging system would gently caress over external hard drives. Solid state is approaching standard, but a lot of people still have externals for cheap bulk storage.
Well, "requesting" and most manufacturers have agreed to it. I don't have a solid preference, but if I can use the same pad/desk/whatever to charge both I'll be much happier than having separate chargers.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I have so much grip tape on my phone I can't even get it out of my pocket.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

r0ck0 posted:

I have so much grip tape on my phone I can't even get it out of my pocket.

It's not grippy enough if you can't just stick it to the outside of your pants.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Why is the HTC One not a recommended phone? Is the OP still up to date?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Vykk.Draygo posted:

But that's where all my cardboard phones are!

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Vykk.Draygo posted:

That's what the fanny pack is for. I draw the line at grip tape, though.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Red_Fred posted:

Idk either I mentioned it before, it's a great phone

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

Because it doesn't have a million megapixel camera, so everyone knee-jerk hates it.

It's a solid phone. New one coming in two weeks, though. Should send re seller prices into a downfall, so wait if you want a cheap Swappa'd M8.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

hotsauce posted:

Because it doesn't have a million megapixel camera, so everyone knee-jerk hates it.

Everyone knee jerk liked it because "the megapixel race is dumb, megapixels aren't everything, etc etc", but it turned out the camera was pretty mediocre. It is also really slippery and a bit taller/bigger than other 5" screen phones. But yeah, those are relatively minor problems and it's good overall.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Red_Fred posted:

The One is a good phone - which I was happy to own - but the Z3 is like a better version of the One. Both are beautifully constructed and well-built, but one has a much better camera and much longer battery life. And is waterproof.

(It's the phone in the OP.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5, and it updated to Lollipop and now the light to indicate I have notifications no longer works. How do I enable that again?