Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Lame Devil posted:

I want to come prepared. I bring all the basic stuff on hunts (including traps and flash/sonic/dung bombs), what are some more advanced things I could bring? GaijinHunter said in a tutorial video that a lot of lancers bring "stamina juice" but I'm not sure what item that refers to.

Guard lancing or evade lancing? You can now do both in LR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fungah! posted:

It's not. Numerically, Sharpness +1 isn't really worth it until high rank, and it's not mandatory until G. Also the Gore set doesn't give S+1 on its own, you need to clown suit to get it.

With the LS I'm about to craft it'll push me from green to blue if I have Sharpness + 1 and that sounds hilariously OP at low level anyhow.

And I'm aware of the clown suit requirement ;)

But in the end it is much ado about nothing, I'll be wearing some stupid Jaggi S armor soon anyways. But what else is monster hunter if not killing monsters to make poo poo you want?

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Also the key to mounting is to pay attention to the camera. When it's zoomed in on your character you're free to stab the poo poo out of them and it'll zoom out right before the monster starts thrashing again. Stop stabbing when the camera zooms out and hold R and it'll pretty much go straight to orange and you won't lose much bar. If you wait for the red skull you're already a bit late.

Yeah that last bit seems the case with some of the bigger monsters. Thanks for the tips!

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

With the LS I'm about to craft it'll push me from green to blue if I have Sharpness + 1 and that sounds hilariously OP at low level anyhow.

And I'm aware of the clown suit requirement ;)

There are plenty of LR weapons that have blue, and even a few monsters that you need to have blue on if you don't want to bounce. Going off the numbers, you're better off using one of those and using an attack up skill or something

I mean, the gore set's good, Spirit's a good skill. Just don't expect S+1 to carry you through LR on wings of dead monsters, it's just kind of eh until later on in high rank

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Nercylla gear seems to have really good sharpness.

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

I finally went back to do the Low Rank quests I had skipped over, and it turns out there's a whole ton more poo poo that unlocks when you complete them! I was already at Rank 8 in High Rank stuff, because I didn't think I'd skipped all that much. This game's blowing me away with how much better the solo content is compared to MH3U. I'm so glad there's a fun story instead of the boring fishing village stuff.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Toxxupation posted:

Also Naja is a super fun fight once, twice, or even five times but fighting it over and over really shows the limitations of the mounting system (since it's the only consistent way to get a back break and mounting Naja means waiting until it deigns to be just far enough so the tiny steps can be used for a mount and the camera which simply cannot handle the way it moves
or....just use a bug staff and mount him all the time with zero effort? he just stands there and is insanely easy to hit in the air

e: his red and orange juice areas are huge too, the only somewhat tricky one is white

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 17, 2015

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Awesome! posted:

or....just use a bug staff and mount him all the time with zero effort? he just stands there and is insanely easy to hit in the air

Bug staff makes mounting anything easy, that's it's whole gimmick, that's like saying "just take a lance and block all of diablos' attacks"

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

maybe use the easy mounting weapon for the fight where you have to mount the guy a lot and it's annoying is what im saying

The Mechanical Hand
May 21, 2007

as this blessed evening falls don't forget the alcohol
Completely new to the series but super stoked to give this a go. As a new player is there anything I should keep in mind?

Also for weapons, the Charge blade jumps out at me, then the insect glaive - are either a bad idea for a new player to jump in with or..?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

The Mechanical Hand posted:

Completely new to the series but super stoked to give this a go. As a new player is there anything I should keep in mind?

Also for weapons, the Charge blade jumps out at me, then the insect glaive - are either a bad idea for a new player to jump in with or..?

no weapon is bad for new players to jump in with, play around with the weapons and use whatever you like.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Insect glaive is super complicated and technical, I would go with something simpler starting imo

Charge blade is a fine starting weapon although it has a ton of hidden depth

Uh besides that first aid + honey makes first aid+ , do whatever you want

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Awesome! posted:

maybe use the easy mounting weapon for the fight where you have to mount the guy a lot and it's annoying is what im saying

IG is also real good for the rock guy who bounces all your attacks early on, the one you need to make the ship fly. Your stabbing knife will never bounce! And then your attacks bounce less once all his skin is ruined.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fungah! posted:

There are plenty of LR weapons that have blue, and even a few monsters that you need to have blue on if you don't want to bounce. Going off the numbers, you're better off using one of those and using an attack up skill or something

I mean, the gore set's good, Spirit's a good skill. Just don't expect S+1 to carry you through LR on wings of dead monsters, it's just kind of eh until later on in high rank

The only mission I've failed even a single time so far was the capture one, so I'm not exactly worried about coasting through LR. I'm just having fun killing time until HR or G rank, I know what I'm doing here. This ain't my first rodeo.

Cronodoculous posted:

I finally went back to do the Low Rank quests I had skipped over, and it turns out there's a whole ton more poo poo that unlocks when you complete them! I was already at Rank 8 in High Rank stuff, because I didn't think I'd skipped all that much. This game's blowing me away with how much better the solo content is compared to MH3U. I'm so glad there's a fun story instead of the boring fishing village stuff.

Yeah, travelling between multiple towns really adds a TON to the story and sense of progression versus just helping loving moga village with their monster problem the whole game.

Awesome! posted:

e: his red and orange juice areas are huge too, the only somewhat tricky one is white

Rename insect glaive to insect pole vault.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lemme refer you back to this big post I made:

There's a TON to learn but you'll pick it up in time. Read the OP and wiki and stuff.

Charge Blade and Insect Glaive are both a bit more complex than some of the other weapons, but if they appeal to you then that's totally fine.

Thing is with weapons like that if you want to do full damage potential you really need to be doing their gimmicks. With insect glaive for instance you need to maintain the red paint/blood stuff at like all times. With charge blade you wanna switch to axe as often as you can. Etc. You can learn that stuff in time, but if you just like doing basic attacks you may find that doing those weapons properly doesn't actually jive with you as much as something else. Just try out everything. But there's no wrong answer, everything rocks.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

The sword and shield is like the go-to learning weapon imo, while the long sword is the default noob weapon because people never learn how to avoid hitting teammates.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I love the Bug Staff but part of me is bothered by feeding the bug since I know I'll have to just do it all over again if I want to fully upgrade the staff.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Colapops posted:

The sword and shield is like the go-to learning weapon imo, while the long sword is the default noob weapon because people never learn how to avoid hitting teammates.

SnS is the "easiest" yeah, you have lots of mobility and a shield too, and your weapon attacks are pretty fast so you can adjust quickly if you gently caress up and don't have to commit to attacks. Its also kinda boring and lame though :cheeky:

I think its odd people keep saying that about LS, I get knocked around in co-op by Hammer and Switchaxe users more often than LS users. :shrug:

Tiers of skill IMO

Easy weapons: Sword & Shield, Lance, Dual Blades
Medium weapons: Gunlance, Longsword, Hammer, Greatsword
Complex weapons: Insect Glaive, Switch Axe, Hunting Horn, Charge Blade
Stupid ranged weapons: bows, guns, gunbows

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 17, 2015

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I find new and creative ways to trip my friends with great sword.

Thats like half the fun for me.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the only complicated or confusing part of bug staff is the insect upgrade poo poo. combat wise it's just get the red juice and maybe the others if you want and go to town. it's super strong and a lot of fun as long as you dont miss the goddamn red juice 10 times in a row

charge blade is much more complicated i think. you have two ability sets and combos between them and the charging mechanic can be applied in two different ways. it's fun and also really strong but i think bug staff is probably the easier of the two.

that said, something like a hammer or dual swords would probably be much easier than either starting out

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I feel like the SnS is a frustrating weapon for new players, because they won't take advantage of monster item weaknesses very well and, frankly, you feel like you're doing poo poo damage with it. I think the best newbie weapons are the hammer (my main poo poo) or the great sword. Both force you to learn monster tells and have a really satisfying feeling of doing big, staggering hits. They aren't flashy but they're relatively friendly online and are universally useful

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Great sword is definitely good at forcing you to learn boss attacks and anticipate them. Otherwise you just whiff all day. But then when you connect, WHAM, you feel it.

Hammer is pretty much the same but slightly faster and slightly easier.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

hammer was the first weapon that really clicked for me. superpounds and golf swings own

pro hammer tip: dodge roll immediately after the super pound or you get animation locked forever

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.
Hammer is my de-facto weapon to recommend to newbies. S&S relies on knowledge of elemental weaknesses, so even if the moveset isn't complicated, that's a step above "walk up to the monster and bash its face in."

As a Lance user, I don't care about being knocked in the air by people. I do, however, hate all LS users with a burning passion, because whenever I mount, even with warning ahead of time, it's a 50/50 chance for them to go "sry mid combo lololol" and knock me off.

Edit: Hammer pro-tip - people you launch in the air can do a falling attack in 4U. LAUNCH EVERYONE, MOUNT ALL OF THE THINGS.

Zagposting fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 17, 2015

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I haven't seen a single LS online. Charge Blade has totally replaced it

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Great sword is definitely good at forcing you to learn boss attacks and anticipate them. Otherwise you just whiff all day. But then when you connect, WHAM, you feel it.

Probably not a good "this is my first weapon" weapon.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Does anyone have some decent tutorial videos for the charge blade and insect glaive?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Check the OP

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Is there some alternate secret combo for entering crouched fire mode with an HBG? I've had some hunts go sour lately when, despite not pressing X+A (at least AFAIK) I stop moving and sit there looking confused with my current ammo now unloaded. This is not an optimal state when being stared at by two Nerscylla.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I've seen people mention how Great Sword isn't a new player friendly weapon and I disagree. Great Sword completely eliminates the "weapon" part of the equation by asking you to only press and hold X ever, meaning you just have to read Monster tells which every other weapon has to do anyways.

It's great for my feeble mind and now the biggest change introduced in 4U is now "press X again" and then also occasionally "press and hold A".

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Riftling posted:

Hammer is my de-facto weapon to recommend to newbies. S&S relies on knowledge of elemental weaknesses, so even if the moveset isn't complicated, that's a step above "walk up to the monster and bash its face in."

As a Lance user, I don't care about being knocked in the air by people. I do, however, hate all LS users with a burning passion, because whenever I mount, even with warning ahead of time, it's a 50/50 chance for them to go "sry mid combo lololol" and knock me off.

Edit: Hammer pro-tip - people you launch in the air can do a falling attack in 4U. LAUNCH EVERYONE, MOUNT ALL OF THE THINGS.

If you're a LS user and you aren't specifically using your combo such that it only connects with the last swing, you're bad. :colbert:

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Probably not a good "this is my first weapon" weapon.

That's my point; it is and it isn't. On the one hand it could frustrate you when you have other things to learn. But on the other hand its like training with 3 baseball bats at once, then you can go back to 1 and suddenly you swing really really fast, you're not used to it and it makes you super good.

tower of druaga posted:

I haven't seen a single LS online. Charge Blade has totally replaced it

I think charge blade is dumb and I'm rocking the LS right now, but yeah they've been pretty rare online.

I've seen a really good spread of variety between online weapons though, its a good thing.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

RuBisCO posted:

I've seen people mention how Great Sword isn't a new player friendly weapon and I disagree.
I agree with you. You may not hit often, which as a new player is to be expected, but with a Great Sword you only have to hit once to feel like a golden god.

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?
Just try the weapons and use whatever is the most fun. I started with, and played through all of MHF2, with just the Hunting Horn. You'll learn new weapons if you play more, but it doesn't really matter what you start with. All of them are good for some monsters and awful against others.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Fought the Black Gravios in Caravan HR this morning. With a green sharpness weapon. That was... special. :gonk:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
The guildmarm wants to sketch my booty. For science.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Sultan Tarquin posted:

The guildmarm wants to sketch my booty. For science.

Only with bite marks.

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

Sard posted:

Is there some alternate secret combo for entering crouched fire mode with an HBG? I've had some hunts go sour lately when, despite not pressing X+A (at least AFAIK) I stop moving and sit there looking confused with my current ammo now unloaded. This is not an optimal state when being stared at by two Nerscylla.

Yup! If you press X while rolling you roll into Crouch Fire. It's totally badass, at least when you're expecting it to happen. But a lot of times I'll do it on accident when trying to reload.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
[quote="Zaphod42" post=""4416"]Yeah that last bit seems the case with some of the bigger monsters. Thanks for the tips!
[/quote]

Monsters have their own little patterns and tells during the mounting minigame and learning them will help you succeed. For example Najarala will psyche you out with a split second of green in the middle of his thrash, Rathian will thrash after doing the double tail swipe, etc

Chumpy
Dec 28, 2008

Nap Ghost
Maybe I'm bad at video games or it was because I played with pubbies, but man the HR1 graduation Urgent was hard (Nerscylla). Triple carted with three different groups and then finally killed it with a scrap of life left after our third guy dropped out midway through. drat I'd forgotten how satisfying it is to just barely scrape by a fight, and build a legit grudge against the monster you're stabbing.

Oddly enough I thought the single player encounter was a breeze.

Now to grind up a few more... the armor is too badass to pass up. At this rate I'm never making it out of LR, there's already too much cool poo poo to farm :ohdear:

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Chumpy posted:

At this rate I'm never making it out of LR, there's already too much cool poo poo to farm :ohdear:

Get out of LR, get HR stuff that looks cooler, go back and farm LR stuff if you care that much later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

So it turns out my game is only letting me fight elderly monsters. They're spry and I appreciate their trying, but them being in the advanced stages of osteoperosis is preventing Jumbo Bones from dropping and it is very upsetting. Will there be a patch to replace these monsters with younger ones with healthy bones?

• Locked thread