Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

StandardVC10 posted:

Is it supposed to be doing that? Didn't think the CH-46 could be an amphibian.

The -46 can land and rest on *calm* water for around two hours, but I remember asking my father about it, who flew them from the late 70s to early 90s, and he said no one was ever in a hurry to do it.

But yeah, the Labrador had a watertight hull, while the -46 could just float (in theory).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

SybilVimes posted:

No america, you come up with your own innovations for a change!

I kinda want that in Ace Combat now.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Ace Combat has long since needed an Old School Ace Combat game where you get to fly all the ridiculous stuff from the early jet era.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The -46 can land and rest on *calm* water for around two hours, but I remember asking my father about it, who flew them from the late 70s to early 90s, and he said no one was ever in a hurry to do it.

But yeah, the Labrador had a watertight hull, while the -46 could just float (in theory).

The Labrador's replacement, the CH-149 Cormorant can't do this afaik. But it's one of those things where it probably isn't really all that useful especially since most of the time when it is called out the weather will probably not be favorable for floating around.

It was a cool thing to demo though, same with the Sea King.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cocoa Crispies posted:

They're still charter-only for now, right?

Thus far. They've stated that their goal is part 121 service.

VanOwen
Oct 8, 2011

Any group that controls this many fonts and is bold enough to use all these exclamation marks must be incredibly powerful! And soon, in fact this Thursday in the cafetorium, I shall become their leader!
I saw this while in DC last week. (Sorry for lovely camera phone)

:3:

And a Space shuttle, blackbird, Enola Gay, etc...

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

VanOwen posted:

I saw this while in DC last week. (Sorry for lovely camera phone)

:3:

And a Space shuttle, blackbird, Enola Gay, etc...

That's probably a pretty good proxy for the Space Shuttle's glide performance.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

vessbot posted:

That's probably a pretty good proxy for the Space Shuttle's glide performance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stits_SA-2A_Sky_Baby

Apparently the pilot could be no heavier than 170lbs and had to sit as close as possible to the plane's center of gravity.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stits_SA-2A_Sky_Baby

Apparently the pilot could be no heavier than 170lbs and had to sit as close as possible to the plane's center of gravity.

I love how once you go down the rabbit hole of looking at the 'world's smallest aircraft' you get into a multitude of ever so slightly differentiated aircraft types because previous record holders get so pissy about losing their records...

:ohdear: Oh, you built a 4' wingspan biplane? Yeah, well Mine is STILL the world's smallest MONOPLANE.

A cynic might think it's all so every single aviation museum can have a 'World's smallest plane*' display

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
What's funny is on the other side of that Boeing 307 they have this little thing:

Mignet HM.14 Pou Du Ciel "La Cucaracha" by notpsion, on Flickr

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mignet_HM.14)

It's like the curators decided "well, we need a place to shove all these tiny planes" and picked the 307 out of a hat.

this reminds me I really need to post the photos from my last trip to U-H. I was darkly amused by going there, getting annoyed at the lighting (again) and then on my way out seeing a sign cheerfully notifying me they're sorry about the lighting and working to upgrade it. :sigh:

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 17, 2015

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

At some point on the "smallest plane" scale there's probably gains (losses? shrinkage?) to be had by putting the pilot in a pressure suit and filling the fuselage with helium for extra lift.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fucknag posted:

At some point on the "smallest plane" scale there's probably gains (losses? shrinkage?) to be had by putting the pilot in a pressure suit and filling the fuselage with helium for extra lift.

Pressure suit is overkill; just put him in a SCUBA dry suit, connect a snorkel to the exterior, and keep altitude below 5,000 feet. :v:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

"Russian drone" apparently shot down.

Does that look like a pulse jet to anyone else? Either way, seems like a piece of poo poo with very marginal capability. The article says target drone with recently added photo capability which serves as the base for my "piece of poo poo" theory.

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015/02/17/russian-drone-shot-ukraine/

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

quote:

Ukraine has been developing its own small unmanned aircrafts, but Russia’s defense industry is several years ahead

If Russia is several years ahead with that is Ukraine still in the "this is little more than a glorified model airplane with a black and white 110 camera taped to the nose" stage like North Korea?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Heres a complete one firing. By some Russian company called ENICS.

PuVRD M135

They have airframes on their website, as well, but nothing that exactly matches that aft wing/canard design.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Thanks. That might actually run on vodka then.

Another thing from friendlier bouts between nations. This might belong in SAS but skiing isn't exactly a big sport in there. I think it counts as aeronautical insanity though. The new world record in ski flying is brought past a quarter of a kilometer by Anders Fannemel, 251.5 meters, 825 ft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH7vdl5u3JM

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

MrYenko posted:

Heres a complete one firing. By some Russian company called ENICS.

PuVRD M135

They have airframes on their website, as well, but nothing that exactly matches that aft wing/canard design.

Has anyone told those Russians that pulse jets are like the loudest thing ever? And kinda make it obvious you're being watched?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Barnsy posted:

Has anyone told those Russians that pulse jets are like the loudest thing ever? And kinda make it obvious you're being watched?

It supposedly a target drone.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

MrYenko posted:

Really? Because I'd say this one on their site looks almost identical:

"Small Aerial Decoy System E08", even the same gerry-built looking pulse jet

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

vessbot posted:

The Streak Eagle posts didn't make it to the OP :(

I updated the OP, vessbot! I did it! Holy poo poo I didn't know I had it in me.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ola posted:

"Russian drone" apparently shot down.

Does that look like a pulse jet to anyone else? Either way, seems like a piece of poo poo with very marginal capability. The article says target drone with recently added photo capability which serves as the base for my "piece of poo poo" theory.

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015/02/17/russian-drone-shot-ukraine/

:crossarms: Considering there's the Dozor family, and the shittons of other recon drones Russia has been developing and using since the 1970's, I somehow doubt that ~russian black ops~ would be flying a bright orange, pulse-jet target drone for recon.

Also wow that's a piece of poo poo design if you want a recon drone. That's something vasya and mikola slapped together from the abandoned surplus pile over a bottle of moonshine than a serious machine.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

SybilVimes posted:

Really? Because I'd say this one on their site looks almost identical:

"Small Aerial Decoy System E08", even the same gerry-built looking pulse jet

It does indeed, I was unable to find that one.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Naturally Selected posted:

:crossarms: Considering there's the Dozor family, and the shittons of other recon drones Russia has been developing and using since the 1970's, I somehow doubt that ~russian black ops~ would be flying a bright orange, pulse-jet target drone for recon.

The mere act of flying a drone that intentionally has the RCS for a current generation (non-stealth) fighter jet into enemy territory is in itself 'recon', you don't even need to duct tape a camera to it.

For a few hundred dollars, the russians now know that the Ukrainians have radar coverage over the area they sent the drone to, and they can just say 'oh, errant target drone, sorry'

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Ola posted:

Another thing from friendlier bouts between nations. This might belong in SAS but skiing isn't exactly a big sport in there. I think it counts as aeronautical insanity though. The new world record in ski flying is brought past a quarter of a kilometer by Anders Fannemel, 251.5 meters, 825 ft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH7vdl5u3JM

Not my normal bag but that was actually kinda cool. What's all that talk about it being "legal" vs. it not being a legal landing or whatever at the end there? I don't know poo poo about this sport other than go-fast-make-yourself-a-V-don't-AGONY-OF-DEFEAT-yourself.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

bobfather posted:

Hardly the weirdest!

That's not that weird - they're both owned by the same Indian dude (for the time being, he's about to go broke).

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

drgitlin posted:

That's not that weird - they're both owned by the same Indian dude (for the time being, he's about to go broke).

And that's fine. Would you fly on Bud Light Air though if it existed?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

bobfather posted:

don't know, would you go on rides in Busch Gardens?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

bobfather posted:

General Electric makes airplane engines and TV shows. Your point is what?

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

drgitlin posted:

And big fuckoff guns.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

priznat posted:

Whatever they pick they better keep the SAR colour scheme the same.

Bomb rear end yellow

Agreed - though I'm P sure there's no plans for getting rid of it.

OK I'm looking for more pictures of Canada's old livery in the RCAF and can I just say ouch wikipedia?

quote:

The Royal Canadian Air Force has approximately 391 aircraft in service, which is the sixth largest air force in the Americas, after the United States Air Force, United States Navy, United States Army, United States Marine Corps and Brazilian Air Force.

Here we go:

Godholio posted:

How badass is the robot they combine into?

:laffo:

Here's a question: does anybody know what is actually needed in this role? I was thinking about it at work today, and I gotta admit I've no idea if they need payload capibility, range, or just the ability to take off and land on dirt strips.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

drgitlin posted:

The original post was juxtaposing that Pan Am flew airplanes and ran trains.

I asserted that flying airplanes and bottling beer was stranger, especially in keeping the name and branding exactly the same between the two companies.

Finally, few people know or care that GE owns NBC. Maybe you'd pick up on it if you're a 30 Rock fan? That fact is easy to miss because NBC is not called GETV. But the owner of Kingfisher air and beer chose to keep the same name for both.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 18, 2015

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Psion posted:

Ace Combat has long since needed an Old School Ace Combat game where you get to fly all the ridiculous stuff from the early jet era.

Right, where the F-4 is the unlockable uber-jet if you finish the game.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Note the guy in the narrator's bubble::stare:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

bobfather posted:

I asserted that flying airplanes and bottling beer was stranger, especially in keeping the name and branding exactly the same between the two companies.

Finally, few people know or care that GE owns NBC. Maybe you'd pick up on it if you're a 30 Rock fan? That fact is easy to miss because NBC is not called GETV. But the owner of Kingfisher air and beer chose to keep the same name for both.

Didn't Comcast buy out NBC from GE a while ago now?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

joat mon posted:

Note the guy in the narrator's bubble::stare:

Navigator ;)

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

bobfather posted:

Not exactly. The trains began happening after existing regional rail company Guilford somehow ended up with the rights to the Pan Am name. They also had an airline, but only briefly, and it had nothing to do with the original Pan Am as far personnel, routes, or equipment.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

bobfather posted:

Mazz posted:

Didn't Comcast buy out NBC from GE a while ago now?

Yes, Comcast owns the whole shebang as of early 2013.

...Remember when Hulu used to be free of charge and almost ad-free? Guess about the timeframe that stopped. :v:

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Nebakenezzer posted:

Here's a question: does anybody know what is actually needed in this role? I was thinking about it at work today, and I gotta admit I've no idea if they need payload capibility, range, or just the ability to take off and land on dirt strips.

SAR dude here. It depends on the role they want the aircraft to play. Is it running as a chase car to rotary-wing assets? Is it going to be refueling said rotary wings? Is it going to be a long range search vehicle which then hands off the boots-on-the-ground stuff to rotary-wing? What kind of terrain is the primary search area? Is it going to be providing CAS during combat? Is it going to be playing a C3 role?

There a lot of factors all dependent on what they want this bird to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Need more cool vids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZfmMM6YnOk