Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Chumpy posted:

Triple carted with three different groups
:stare:

luckily most of the randoms ive played with so far have been at least somewhat competent at not dying. i did that quest a couple times with different groups and didnt have problems

where do i farm dung? i have 8 dung and 2 dung bombs and it is starting to suck now that im getting multimonster hunts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Don't go overboard with making armour sets in low rank (or even high rank) because they'll be worthless soon after. Only make what you need. 2 or 3 should be good, I had to make Najarala armour when I hit Gore because he was 2 shotting me in my Velocidrome armour.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Awesome! posted:

luckily most of the randoms ive played with so far have been at least somewhat competent at not dying. i did that quest a couple times with different groups and didnt have problems

where do i farm dung? i have 8 dung and 2 dung bombs and it is starting to suck now that im getting multimonster hunts

You unlock the ability to multiply dung bombs after a while

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Awesome! posted:

The nice man will bring you poop bombs after a while. You can also go to the child in the mountain village and offer him some poop and a frenzy crystal, and he will return extra poop to you.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Awesome! posted:

Monster Hunter Megathread: How do I farm dung?

Squidtamer DA
Jun 3, 2007
Squirts ink when provoked
I really love all the cutscenes in the game, especially when there's people talking because everyone in the Monster Hunter world only speaks via grunting.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The northernmost area in the Sunken (and possibly Volcanic) Cavern has mounds of dung as well that you can gather from. Some other maps probably have some too.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Zaphod42 posted:

Monster Hunter Megathread: How do I farm dung?

i need it! give me the poop capcom

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Literally almost shook my fist and yelled "GRAVIOOOSSSSSS" when I saw that fucker back on my quest list. Back to bounce city for me, or trying out some of this insect glaive hoo ha everyone is talking about. Think I have a lot of water nectars in my box. I know Bow used to wreck him too, but I'm awful at Ranged.

At least it isn't Black Grav.

Black Grav isn't back, is he? Guys?....guys? :ohdear:

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 17, 2015

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

LordHippoman posted:

Uhh... No. No, of course not. That mean man will never bother you again.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Fought Gravios for the first time ever, using IG. Bouncy bounce bounce > mount > own. Fun fight.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

LordHippoman posted:

Literally almost shook my fist and yelled "GRAVIOOOSSSSSS" when I saw that fucker back on my quest list. Back to bounce city for me, or trying out some of this insect glaive hoo ha everyone is talking about. Think I have a lot of water nectars in my box. I know Bow used to wreck him too, but I'm awful at Ranged.

Mount him a lot. Stabbing knife doesn't bounce.

Also a PSA: if you're an idiot like me and hate reading, and also wonder why your main Palico doesn't seem to have any skills, I finally read the help menu and it explains how it works. Set your first stringers to give your main cat abilities, if you have 2 heal cats in 1st stringers it'll get a heal ability, 3 it'll get another one, etc. I don't know what happens if you put in 5 of the same type but I assume it'll go super saiyan.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Am I the only one that thought Gravios (and Khezu) weren't as bad as advertised? You bounce on Gravios' legs, which sucks, but his belly and tail seem okay with green sharpness in LR at least. And Khezu is nice enough to sit still and let you whack it, unlike Gigginox.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Lemming posted:

Mount him a lot. Stabbing knife doesn't bounce.

Also a PSA: if you're an idiot like me and hate reading, and also wonder why your main Palico doesn't seem to have any skills, I finally read the help menu and it explains how it works. Set your first stringers to give your main cat abilities, if you have 2 heal cats in 1st stringers it'll get a heal ability, 3 it'll get another one, etc. I don't know what happens if you put in 5 of the same type but I assume it'll go super saiyan.

It turns into a super version of that type.

I find mixing and matching more fun though.

A Miserable Robot
Nov 4, 2009
gently caress Shagaru Magala. That was not fun to fight with a Greatsword. I'm sure it would have been fun to fight with an Insect Glaive, because the fight seems designed around the player using that. The first death was after 25 minutes when he boxed me into a corner with the homing explosions from full health, the second came 5 minutes after that when he did the same thing. I ran back in and he died to a draw slash. At least I got a plate from the rewards.

The entire fight he's just on crack and doesn't stop. When I got hit by the frenzy a mounting, topple, and two level 3 charges weren't enough to cure it. The only time he's really safe to hit with the greatsword is after toppling him, but he dances around and away from the little ledges. He'll stand on them, to the left, to the right, but whenever he's in a position you can actually jump on him, he'll just fly back twenty feet.

Now to grind up materials to make Insect Glaives for the inevitable rematch.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Holy gently caress Seltas Queen is such a cool fight.

Loving the insect monsters in this game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If I'm finding this really grindy after a few hours, is there a still a good chance this will click with me? I'm fighting my first biggish monster (big bug thing) and I was enjoying it at first but it just kept flying off and after about 20 minutes I called it a night. I don't see a health bar so I don't even know how long this thing will take to kill. On one hand I think the aesthetic is charming, the combat is decently fun (really clunky though) and I love getting loot in games, on the other I'm just feeling really burned out running around this same area over and over. I haven't even touched multiplayer yet so I'll probably give that a whirl today if I can.

I really want to like Monster Hunter, but this is the third one I've tried and I always seem to get burned out after just a few hours. I'm going to try to stick with this one because I really want to see some of the bigger bosses and get some cool gear, but part of me wonders if I should just give up the ghost on the series and accept that it's not for me. I've really never got far enough into one of them to see any of the cool poo poo though.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

paintball the monster so if it runs off you can follow it easily. your first seltas should really not take that long to kill. what weapon are you using

try multiplayer a bit and watch how other people fight

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Try MP. Sometimes it's annoying when you get into a lovely pubbie group, but when everyone's half competent it's awesome. Plus you can check out some of the other gear in action, and maybe pick up some pointers in fights based on how other players react to it.

Seltas was a little annoying using newbie gear at first to me too.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

NESguerilla posted:

If I'm finding this really grindy after a few hours, is there a still a good chance this will click with me? I'm fighting my first biggish monster (big bug thing) and I was enjoying it at first but it just kept flying off and after about 20 minutes I called it a night. I don't see a health bar so I don't even know how long this thing will take to kill. On one hand I think the aesthetic is charming, the combat is decently fun (really clunky though) and I love getting loot in games, on the other I'm just feeling really burned out running around this same area over and over. I haven't even touched multiplayer yet so I'll probably give that a whirl today if I can.

I really want to like Monster Hunter, but this is the third one I've tried and I always seem to get burned out after just a few hours. I'm going to try to stick with this one because I really want to see some of the bigger bosses and get some cool gear, but part of me wonders if I should just give up the ghost on the series and accept that it's not for me. I've really never got far enough into one of them to see any of the cool poo poo though.

It might not be for you, but don't stop at Seltas. Seltas sucks rear end and just kinda buzzes around wasting everyones time and being boring as dirt. I'd equate it as a lakitu in Mario, it's not even a boss, just annoying.

When you get to the bigger things is when the game gets interesting, when you fight your first wyvern type monster that's when you'll know if the games for you.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide

NESguerilla posted:

Are you using paintballs to keep track of the monsters? It cuts down on running around to find it after it runs.

You'll start to enjoy it more when you get better with your chosen weapon - your own skill will do more for you than weapons and armour upgrades ever will, it took me less than ten minutes to kill the bug with starter gear. Going online will help reduce the grind because a party of four will absolutely murder most monsters (frankly it shouldn't be legal).

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Seltas sucks because he spends a lot of time in the air, and some weapons can only hit him with specific moves because of that. Have you upgraded your starting weapon at all yet? You might just not be dealing enough damage to dispatch him quickly.

Seltas is my favorite unstable expedition add because he's easy to dodge while fighting something else, and once it's his turn he goes down almost as quick as Great Jaggi.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
I would at least go until tetsucabra if you're doing village stuff. I didn't really care for much of the stuff before it, but tetsu is fun and easy. Everything before it jumps/flies around too much, even if they die really fast

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Is there any specific area I need to be hitting to "break Khezu's body"? I know I got the subquest reward once when I was doing the quest, and I figure if I see red cracks on its body I must be doing something right, but I haven't been able to break it completely since.

Should I just keep mounting the fucker?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

NESguerilla posted:

Give it another few hours, if you like the combat and the gear you're like 2/3 of the way to the game clicking and once you start fighting monsters that aren't loving Seltas the bosses pick up like crazy

e: worth noting that we're all crazy Stockholm Syndrome reprobatae in here, but even so give it another few hours

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm a new player also and I had similar feelings with the first few monsters since they were mostly kind of boring/annoying to fight. Now that I'm fighting Ice sharks, Lightning bears and other interesting stuff the game is much more fun.

Learning how to actually play this game probably helped too.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
If you can get into the Challenge Quests in the Guild Hall, give some of those a try for more Big Monster Fight experience, with pre-set equipment and items.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cool thanks guys. I'm going to give it some more time. Didn't notice the paintballs so that should help. I'm definitely going to give it some more hours before I decide if it's not for me or not. I think part of my problem with MH is that I have quit too quickly in past games.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I think I found the ultimate bad matchup: Kirin vs. Insect Glaive. I was leveling my Kirin guild quest and thought "Hey, this might go faster with more people" so I made a room for it. I immediately get 3 IG users, and they spent the entire quest getting absolutely destroyed, it was hilarious. I'm sure skill and monster familiarity are also factors but it really seems like a match made in hell.

Zaphod42 posted:

SnS is the "easiest" yeah, you have lots of mobility and a shield too, and your weapon attacks are pretty fast so you can adjust quickly if you gently caress up and don't have to commit to attacks. Its also kinda boring and lame though :cheeky:

I think its odd people keep saying that about LS, I get knocked around in co-op by Hammer and Switchaxe users more often than LS users. :shrug:

Tiers of skill IMO

Easy weapons: Sword & Shield, Lance, Dual Blades
Medium weapons: Gunlance, Longsword, Hammer, Greatsword
Complex weapons: Insect Glaive, Switch Axe, Hunting Horn, Charge Blade
Stupid ranged weapons: bows, guns, gunbows

Other than remembering which songs you can play the hunting horn is actually really simple.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yo fungah hows charge blade goin

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Neo_Crimson posted:

Am I the only one that thought Gravios (and Khezu) weren't as bad as advertised? You bounce on Gravios' legs, which sucks, but his belly and tail seem okay with green sharpness in LR at least. And Khezu is nice enough to sit still and let you whack it, unlike Gigginox.

With Black Gravios, you lose that weakness. You will need bombs to break his stomach or gun him down. I recommend pierce shot.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Yeah I found Khezu to be a really boring fight

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

The Moon Monster posted:

I think I found the ultimate bad matchup: Kirin vs. Insect Glaive. I was leveling my Kirin guild quest and thought "Hey, this might go faster with more people" so I made a room for it. I immediately get 3 IG users, and they spent the entire quest getting absolutely destroyed, it was hilarious. I'm sure skill and monster familiarity are also factors but it really seems like a match made in hell.

Other than remembering which songs you can play the hunting horn is actually really simple.
Yeah, IG is great against big poo poo and flying poo poo.

Anything small and fast on the ground is such a pain in the rear end. Not helped by the fact Kirin gets armor when enraged good enough to bounce every insect glaive you can get at that point.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Lengthy boss fights are kind of the core of the game but I will say that one of things that makes this game super satisfying is that, while fights are really long, there are a ton of things you can do to cut that time down:

Learning to use your weapon types effectively and learning monster attack patterns so you're not constantly getting knocked on your rear end/stunned/forced to run to heal will dramatically increase the amount of time you're spending hitting a monster and making it dead faster.

Researching monsters to figure out what elements they're weak against, where you should hit them to do the most damage, and figuring out how to use different weapons to actually hit those spots to maximize damage.

Making the traps/bombs/consumables, especially ones that a particular monster are weak against can buy you a ton of time to beat the poo poo out of a stunned monster.

And of course: getting better gear and destroying monsters that were a pain in the rear end a few hours ago is always fun.

Pretty much every time I fight a new monster it feels like a clusterfuck of random, unavoidable attacks until I figure things out. My first Gypceros kill in this game was just 20 minutes of getting stunned and poisoned over and over but after several attempts at getting that drat head I was killing him in 5 minutes without using any potions and it felt pretty great.

(protip: not only can you block the flash attack, but it'll trigger a lance counter-attack which you can easily turn into a real nice combo of attacks right into his loving face)

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

Yo fungah hows charge blade goin

100 quests on record and it still rules. Just wish there were a few more forgeable CBs, it's annoying to have to make all of them through upgrades

Also did you seriously say this was easier than 3U? Because lol no way in hell

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Nah but for real

Seltas Queen

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Charge blade is pretty cool, I can combo poo poo into more poo poo even more than the switch axe. Should I ever chase things with my axe out or is sheathing and doing a draw axe attack better?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

If you think it'll come back to you keep the axe out, otherwise sheath and run after it. You'll lose a bit of DPS when you catch up to it but it's better than sitting around with your thumbs up your rear end waiting for it come back to you

Also fun tip if you want to get the axe out in a hurry, if you do a jump with the sword out and hit R, you do a jumping attack with the axe

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Fellatio del Toro posted:

(protip: not only can you block the flash attack, but it'll trigger a lance counter-attack which you can easily turn into a real nice combo of attacks right into his loving face)

FIguring out that I could block that flash with my shield was the precise turning point in that fight from "I am getting murdered and there is nothing I can do about it" to "I will murder this stupid bird".

A monster hunter tip: the game gives you almost an hour to do a quest. While it's sometimes not great to spend that long fighting a boss, sometimes it helps to take a more cautious approach against a monster that's giving you problems. Only attack it with combos when you know it's taking a breather, leave the area to heal and sharpen, that sort of thing. With a couple of exceptions, most monsters don't heal the damage you've done. If they do, like while they are asleep, the amount that they heal is completely insignificant. As such, you can still take down a monster by taking swipes at it when the opportunity presents itself, rather than opening yourself to a ton of hits by attacking indiscriminately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

ugh, I've breezed through the caravan missions until the real Gore Magala fight. Starting him out pissed is just a kick in the dick.

• Locked thread