Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

Yessssss. Almost bought one of these when I was 18 and didn't understand what money was or how student loan interest works. It's probably good that I didn't.

But I still love SLEEP as much as ever, so I probably should have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Bread Dragon posted:

Yessssss. Almost bought one of these when I was 18 and didn't understand what money was or how student loan interest works. It's probably good that I didn't.

But I still love SLEEP as much as ever, so I probably should have.

:420: :homebrew: :rock:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Smash it Smash hit posted:

but their look is definitely apart of their appeal, and I think they look p rad. It's better than a peavey where it sounds OK and looks like poo poo with their pointy ugly-rear end logos.

the pointy logo has its place

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

lol @ mudflap lady pattern

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
^^^^ :lol: i didn't notice that, amazing, mudflap lady houndstooth

comes along bort posted:

indeed it does

mine has black strings right now :getin:

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

comes along bort posted:

haha sorry but gross.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
WELL SUMMUMABITCH

only 22 frets tho

this one however:

i am keeping bookmarked for future purchasing, i think i have a winner :getin:

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Wait for a 24 fret SG. Once you go 24 fret you can't go back. :(

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

unlawfulsoup posted:

Wait for a 24 fret SG. Once you go 24 fret you can't go back. :(

this has been a big problem since i got my coronet, it just feels like wasted space down there on all my other guitars now!

24 frets is an absolute must on all my future instruments, though i dunno how hard it'd be to replace an LED neck (probably harder than I'm interested in)

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Dewgy posted:

this has been a big problem since i got my coronet, it just feels like wasted space down there on all my other guitars now!

24 frets is an absolute must on all my future instruments, though i dunno how hard it'd be to replace an LED neck (probably harder than I'm interested in)

I can live with 21 or 22 on Teles/Gretsch because they are kind of classic. Things like SGs I play for speed and comfort, so yeah it is really hard to go back.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWgCMNMVSmo

frank gambale

the thunder
from
down
under

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
seriously the only people that give any kind of poo poo about what your guitar or amp look like are other guitarists and i really dislike most other guitarists

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Concatenation posted:

seriously the only people that give any kind of poo poo about what your guitar or amp look like are other guitarists and i really dislike most other guitarists

the real truth is that all music poo poo is stupid and ugly, just to different degrees

making fun of it is just an easy way of gettin' people real salty over stuff

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

stuff made out of acrylic, however, is awesome. loving love acrylic.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

everythingWasBees posted:

stuff made out of acrylic, however, is awesome. loving love acrylic.

let's be honest here it's both awesome and terrible

especially when you led light it

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Harry in Rio posted:

frank gambale

the thunder
from
down
under

no way is that video from 1999.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Concatenation posted:

seriously the only people that give any kind of poo poo about what your guitar or amp look like are other guitarists and i really dislike most other musicians

Fixed.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Harry in Rio posted:

frank gambale

the thunder
from
down
under

the fgm100 guitars are so good

frank gambale's initials are only slightly more unfortunate than mine...

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

Chrpno posted:

no way is that video from 1999.

i think it's from 1989

is he wearing a clear acrylic plastic bag over his pants?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Harry in Rio posted:

i think it's from 1989

is he wearing a clear acrylic plastic bag over his pants?

Nah, it's the analog equivalent of a "sketch" filter.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Dewgy posted:

WELL SUMMUMABITCH

dude. Dude!

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

comes along bort posted:

well this is the opposite of a human being amp

its actually the most aggressively hetero amp i've ever seen.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I could get it up for the real Ibanez anniversary JEM with the three layers of paint in the acrylic. It looks pretty far out.
But I'm totally :flaccid: about bootleg instruments.

I'd build my own project from parts, but something about Chinese bootlegs, fake logos and serial numbers, "Made In USA," etc, feels like a bridge too far for me.

I once watched a friend buy four bootleg Les Pauls (two Zakk Wylde camo bullseyes and some white guitar and some sorta brownish one) and he sold two off (had a real difficult time keeping those listings up on eBay, they kept taking them down; but in the end he made a profit on them) and of course he had to replace all the hardware and electronics on the two instruments he did keep (which cost a lot of money). He eventually took a belt-sander to the brown one because he couldn't think of anything else to do (the seam of the book matching ended about an inch and a half to the left of the centerline of the guitar top, down by the bottom strap button. That was pretty loving funny.)

When I mentioned he could have bought one really decent Gibson for the price of four bootlegs and all that hardware/electronics he said, "But then I wouldn't be willing to take it to gigs!" smdh

For sillier poo poo, I guess it's a way to go if you've got the right attitude and expectations; but that acrylic JEM looks like hot garbage to me (I know, I know... I hope no one is dying from the irony!)

That's my 2 :spergin:s on the subject.

VVV That's fair, Dewgy. I knew you weren't "that guy." Sometimes a sperg just gotta sperg! VVV

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 18, 2015

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
well yeah it looks like hot garbage, that's the point! it's also 1/5 the price of a normal jem so easy to justify it as buying something stupid and fun

it's like you haven't been paying attention or something, jeez

e: also i admit i totally plan on asking them to blank the headstock

i just want a clear glowy guitar, not trying to convince people i really bought an acrylic ibanez or anything, people who actually want them for bootleg purposes are idiots

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Dr. Faustus posted:

I once watched a friend buy four bootleg Les Pauls (two Zakk Wylde camo bullseyes and some white guitar and some sorta brownish one) and he sold two off (had a real difficult time keeping those listings up on eBay, they kept taking them down; but in the end he made a profit on them) and of course he had to replace all the hardware and electronics on the two instruments he did keep (which cost a lot of money). He eventually took a belt-sander to the brown one because he couldn't think of anything else to do (the seam of the book matching ended about an inch and a half to the left of the centerline of the guitar top, down by the bottom strap button. That was pretty loving funny.)

When I mentioned he could have bought one really decent Gibson for the price of four bootlegs and all that hardware/electronics he said, "But then I wouldn't be willing to take it to gigs!" smdh

im assuming this means he sold them as legit gibsons on ebay, right? that's a real piece of poo poo move.

if someone wants to buy one of those chinese knockoffs cause theyre wacky (those acrylic ones for instance) or its something where the legit off brand doesnt exist (this ones a little shakier morally, but i get it. there's no legit knockoffs or sub brands for rickenbacker for example) and use it as their own, thats more or less fine. but representing it as genuine and suckering other people with them is pretty lovely.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

shiksa posted:

im assuming this means he sold them as legit gibsons on ebay, right? that's a real piece of poo poo move.
Nah, he wasn't that much of a dickhead. He advertised them as Chinese-made copies but that still is against eBay policy. He was honest about it. One woman bought one for her son and he was stressing over and over via e-mail (or whatever eBay uses) that it was NOT a real Gibson but the mother just didn't care. The other one he sold as parts.

I didn't mean to give that impression, but it is true he only spent about $250 shipped on each of the four guitars and sold at least one (a white one with a crazy neck inlay that he hated) for more like $400.

I still can't believe he threw $1,000 at bootlegs and another probably $400 on hardware and pickups and fretwork (maybe more, actually, he kept two). If I wanted a Les Paul I'd have bought a $1,400 Les Paul.

VVV Mine is not to reason why.... VVV

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 18, 2015

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
but then he'd have a les paul and who in their right mind wants that

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I can understand wanting a cheap instrument to take out for gigs, if you have a $1000+ instrument; you'll spend plenty of time worrying about buckle rash, dings, or whether or not it's gonna get stolen.

And again, I can understand getting a fake if the current maker doesn't offer an instrument in a particular colour/style.

But what I don't understand is going out of your way to get one that says "Gibson" on the headstock, rather than getting a good Epiphone and playing the poo poo out of that.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Tone glue

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

umalt posted:

if you have a $1000+ instrument; you'll spend plenty of time worrying about buckle rash, dings, or whether or not it's gonna get stolen.
Really?

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
If you are going to gig with your instrument you should forfeit any illusions of it staying pristine and go for that whole 'mojo' bullshit.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

unlawfulsoup posted:

If you are going to gig with your instrument you should forfeit any illusions of it staying pristine and go for that whole 'mojo' bullshit.
Or just play guitar and have fun.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

iostream.h posted:

Or just play guitar and have fun.

Yeah, well that is basically what I am getting at. If you want something to be pristine and care that much, just leave it in the case.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

so i guess if you pay matamp prices he'll customize it for you?

:420: :rock:

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

unlawfulsoup posted:

Yeah, well that is basically what I am getting at. If you want something to be pristine and care that much, just leave it in the case.

Sorry, I thought you were advocating all that relic bullshit or something, knee jerk reaction on my part.

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

iostream.h posted:

Sorry, I thought you were advocating all that relic bullshit or something, knee jerk reaction on my part.

Yeah, I was kind of unclear at the last part.

edit: If anyone is looking for a steal on a truly beautiful guitar

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ele...ed3c&rmvSB=true

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Feb 19, 2015

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

ZombieParts posted:

So far, I've never seen anyone do it for reals. You gotta be a total bedroom rocker to walk past Blackstar

lol

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

unlawfulsoup posted:

Yeah, I was kind of unclear at the last part.

edit: If anyone is looking for a steal on a truly beautiful guitar

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ele...ed3c&rmvSB=true

I dunno, seems a bit shady. I mean the price is awesome but they've jacked up the shipping to make up for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

stillvisions posted:

I dunno, seems a bit shady. I mean the price is awesome but they've jacked up the shipping to make up for it.

Shipping guitars is not cheap or easy.

• Locked thread