Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

kinmik posted:

If you haven't read Medium Raw yet, I urge you to do so. I took it with me on a flight across the lower 48 and finished it within two hours; couldn't put it down. I loved his description of his first time eating ortolan.

You eat it whole, under a napkin, to hide your face and shame from God.

Has there ever been a mystery novel in which an ortolan eater was killed by poisoning his wine? I mean, everyone has their heads covered, so no one can see the killer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Take it one step further: someone poisoned his ortolan.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

My Lovely Horse posted:

"Something seems weird about the bird that was raised in total darkness and drowned in liquor that I'm eating whole under a sheet"

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

The ortolans are hiding from us. They don't want anyone to know what's happening in there. :(

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

My Lovely Horse posted:

Wouldn't be that hard, considering

Sex Hobbit posted:

The taste of your blood from the bones jabbing your gums is part of the flavor.

e: Also, The Supersizers is a series featuring lots of awful, awful food.

PubicMice has a new favorite as of 07:39 on Feb 18, 2015

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
e: quote is not edit

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

PubicMice posted:

Wouldn't be that hard, considering

e: Also, The Supersizers is a series featuring lots of awful, awful food.

The Supersizers is great because there's always a food historian to talk about the cuisine and how back then food was less about taste and eating and more a visual display of wealth and power.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Samizdata posted:

What is fried fritz? All I could find was sort of a chicken hash, which not only sounded good, but not all that fatty...

Fritz is a kind of heavily processed sausage sold in South Australia. I guess you'd call it luncheon meat or something. In the other states they call it 'devon' and get really annoyed if you call it by any other name. I can't find a very good picture of what it normally looks like so here's a variant.

It's fed to small children on white bread with tomato sauce. Appetising.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Creature posted:

Fritz is a kind of heavily processed sausage sold in South Australia. I guess you'd call it luncheon meat or something. In the other states they call it 'devon' and get really annoyed if you call it by any other name. I can't find a very good picture of what it normally looks like so here's a variant.

Bologna?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I didn't even know bologna could do that.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
I was raised in Western Australia and we always called it poloney (sp?). Smiley poloney is an awesome idea.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Creature posted:

Cheers for the clarification!

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I've always wondered. How do they make the face happen?

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

amityville anus posted:

I've always wondered. How do they make the face happen?

Blow the pig?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Creature posted:

Even if you could, why would you put a face on bologna? And who the gently caress eats bologna with tomato sauce?

edit: Haha thanks Wikipedia, apparently it's the australian version of sending your kid to school with a soggy PB&J "Typical uses of Devon by parents include sending their kids to school with the "Devon and Tomato Sauce" variety of sandwich, generally much to the chagrin of the child involved and has been known to contribute to schoolyard bullying [1]"

Aesop Poprock has a new favorite as of 12:24 on Feb 18, 2015

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Creature posted:

Look like badly made Billy roll to me :colbert:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Aesop Poprock posted:

Even if you could, why would you put a face on bologna? And who the gently caress eats bologna with tomato sauce?

edit: Haha thanks Wikipedia, apparently it's the australian version of sending your kid to school with a soggy PB&J "Typical uses of Devon by parents include sending their kids to school with the "Devon and Tomato Sauce" variety of sandwich, generally much to the chagrin of the child involved and has been known to contribute to schoolyard bullying [1]"

Not even tomato sauce, for most Americans ketchup is the "mother sauce" of their cuisine.

The "sketti" recipe for the Honey Boo Boo family was pasta, and 1 to 1 butter and ketchup sauce.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

Not even tomato sauce, for most Americans ketchup is the "mother sauce" of their cuisine.

The "sketti" recipe for the Honey Boo Boo family was pasta, and 1 to 1 butter and ketchup sauce.

I'd like to claim as a proud American that Honey Boo Boo is not a standard for most American family cuisines but I literally have no proof that is the case. And now someone's going to post a best selling Honey Boo Boo cookbook and I'll be proved brutally and insanely wrong by a recipe about how to microwave bread into toast

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp

Creature posted:

In the other states they call it 'devon' and get really annoyed if you call it by any other name.

I have never heard this in my whole life. Im in West AU.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

pentyne posted:

That's the dumbest thing I've heard in this thread thus far. Congratulations, you win a smiley ham.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Rapman the Cook posted:

I have never heard this in my whole life. Im in West AU.

It's called polony in WA. It's a cheap lovely manufactured "meat". And yes my parents gave it to me in sandwiches in the 1970s and 1980s.
Maybe with tomato sauce/ketchup too, (as that was the only flavouring/spice/sauce my family possessed :( ) . They also liked giving polony to our blue heeler for a treat.

Fo3 has a new favorite as of 14:22 on Feb 18, 2015

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Pookah posted:

Look like badly made Billy roll to me :colbert:

I always thought he was called Billy Sausage. I used to poke his eyes and mouth out and wear slices of him like a meat mask. I turned out okay.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

pentyne posted:

Unless you're at a diner-ish restarurant that keeps ketchup on the table, you usually have to ask for it if you want it. I guess at fast food places, some burgers come with ketchup on them by default, but it's hardly the "mother sauce" of American cuisine. That's ranch dressing.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Unless you're at a diner-ish restarurant that keeps ketchup on the table, you usually have to ask for it if you want it. I guess at fast food places, some burgers come with ketchup on them by default, but it's hardly the "mother sauce" of American cuisine. That's ranch dressing.

Mayo is the most popular (best selling) condiment in America.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

pentyne posted:

I'm still confused about people being so melodramatic about condiments. Ketchup Mustard and Mayonnaise on a cheeseburger is super delicious. Ketchup in general is pretty good even if it is just salt sugar and tomato sauce.

And no, the majority of the USA does not eat like Honey Boo Boo, as the majority of the USA are not inbred white trash rednecks. It's a pretty huge and diverse country.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

How Rude posted:

And no, the majority of the USA does not eat like Honey Boo Boo, as the majority of the USA are not inbred white trash rednecks. It's a pretty huge and diverse country.

Yes but that's nuanced and complicated, and you can't tie an entire nation down in one pithy, derogatory statement. And that's a fate worse than death.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Plinkey posted:

Mayo is the most popular (best selling) condiment in America.

I am 99% sure you're wrong and salsa is the best selling condiment in America, in terms of money spent.

*excuse me, best selling in USA.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I hate ranch so motherfucking much, it's the worst because people drown their food in it. Nah, I didn't really want to taste this, it's just a ranch carrying system to my gaping maw. Gross. I love barbecue sauce beyond all reason but I don't love it that much.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

How Rude posted:

It helps to remind Europeans every once in a while that, size-wise, the U.S. is not a "country". It is a is a mega-country made up of countries. It would take longer for me to get to Alabama than it would for a Frenchman to get to Germany, with a similar amount of culture shift.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

dijon du jour posted:

It helps to remind Europeans every once in a while that, size-wise, the U.S. is not a "country". It is a is a mega-country made up of countries. It would take longer for me to get to Alabama than it would for a Frenchman to get to Germany, with a similar amount of culture shift.

This is true. For instance, Texas is so goddamn big it would take more than eleven hours to drive from El Paso (its westernmost city) to the eastern border of the state.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I'd never heard of anyone eating a bologna sandwich with ketchup until I met my (Canadian) boyfriend, who apparently ate them all the time as a kid and hated them. You gotta put some mustard and mayo on that, man. Maybe some ridged chips.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011
Let's not argue when we all know the one, true condiment is mustard. Hallowed be thy name.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

This is true. For instance, Texas is so goddamn big it would take more than eleven hours to drive from El Paso (its westernmost city) to the eastern border of the state.

I'm in Houston (near the exact center of the nation, on the far eastern edge of the state for those from Europe.) From what I understand, the halfway point between me and the Pacific Ocean is still in Texas.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Of course, I put ketchup on my hot dogs, so what the gently caress do I know.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

I had a Japanese art history prof. who said that everything in the US tastes like ketchup, and now I can't un-taste everywhere (but it's only really in pre-made food, I think). It makes sense, kids eat a lot of ketchup since it's sweet and our tastes as adults are informed in a huge way by what we eat as kids ( and by what our parents ate as well).

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
If ketchup is the national sauce of the US, why don't we have ketchup flavored potato chips? :colbert:

Irving
Jun 21, 2003

Humboldt Squid posted:

I had a Japanese art history prof. who said that everything in the US tastes like ketchup, and now I can't un-taste everywhere (but it's only really in pre-made food, I think). It makes sense, kids eat a lot of ketchup since it's sweet and our tastes as adults are informed in a huge way by what we eat as kids ( and by what our parents ate as well).

If by "ketchup" he means "high fructose corn syrup" (which it pretty much is) he's probably right on the money if you're buying processed food.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Of course, I put ketchup on my hot dogs, so what the gently caress do I know.

You're a fine upstanding American. gently caress those assholes in Chicago with their salads on their hotdogs and 'rules'. They can't even understand what 'pizza' is. DEEP DISH IS A GODDAMN CASSEROLE! Heinz and French's are all you need.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Greatbacon posted:

If ketchup is the national sauce of the US, why don't we have ketchup flavored potato chips? :colbert:

Except we do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Wanamingo posted:

Except we do?

I see the French in the corners there. Get that Canadian poo poo out of here, you tease. :mad:

• Locked thread