Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Nah but for real

Seltas Queen

It was a friggen cool rear end fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

A Miserable Robot posted:

gently caress Shagaru Magala. That was not fun to fight with a Greatsword. I'm sure it would have been fun to fight with an Insect Glaive, because the fight seems designed around the player using that. The first death was after 25 minutes when he boxed me into a corner with the homing explosions from full health, the second came 5 minutes after that when he did the same thing. I ran back in and he died to a draw slash. At least I got a plate from the rewards.

The entire fight he's just on crack and doesn't stop. When I got hit by the frenzy a mounting, topple, and two level 3 charges weren't enough to cure it. The only time he's really safe to hit with the greatsword is after toppling him, but he dances around and away from the little ledges. He'll stand on them, to the left, to the right, but whenever he's in a position you can actually jump on him, he'll just fly back twenty feet.

Now to grind up materials to make Insect Glaives for the inevitable rematch.

Magala is super easy when he's in his normal state, but yeah the enraged form is loving brutal. That homing explosion black/blue fireball thing hits like a mother loving truck. Ugh.

On the other hand, I've beaten him every time I hunted him, so git gud? Maybe make better armor? :cheeky:

NESguerilla posted:

If I'm finding this really grindy after a few hours, is there a still a good chance this will click with me? I'm fighting my first biggish monster (big bug thing) and I was enjoying it at first but it just kept flying off and after about 20 minutes I called it a night. I don't see a health bar so I don't even know how long this thing will take to kill. On one hand I think the aesthetic is charming, the combat is decently fun (really clunky though) and I love getting loot in games, on the other I'm just feeling really burned out running around this same area over and over. I haven't even touched multiplayer yet so I'll probably give that a whirl today if I can.

I really want to like Monster Hunter, but this is the third one I've tried and I always seem to get burned out after just a few hours. I'm going to try to stick with this one because I really want to see some of the bigger bosses and get some cool gear, but part of me wonders if I should just give up the ghost on the series and accept that it's not for me. I've really never got far enough into one of them to see any of the cool poo poo though.

The beginning of the game is really slow and boring to help you learn (there's a ton to learn). The real fun part of the game doesn't kick in until you're hunting bosses like Rathian, which is pretty far in.

That said, its probably not for everybody, hard to say if it s your bag.

Not playing co-op is your mistake. You should be co-oping more than you go solo. Co-op is super fun, and takes some of the pressure off when you're new to the game. Hop in some co-op lobby and just follow them around and kill what they kill. You'll have a blast and it'll be easier, and then you'll get some more materials to craft with and some more experience and then you can go back solo.

Solo and co-op progression are each independent, so you can level co-op and then go back to right where you were solo, or vise versa.

The first few hours are really boring though IMO, just stick with it a little longer!

Whats the biggest monster you've fought? Seltas is boring. If you've never fought anything but Seltas or Jaggi then you haven't really seen the proper game yet, I'd definitely stick with it some more. If you fight like Gore Magala or Rathian and hate it then its just not for you.

Try fighting a tetsucabra with a group, that should be a good test of what the "real monster hunter" is like, while still being pretty easy.

Make sure you bring Mega Potions (6-9) Meat (2-4) and Paintballs (4-6) on any hunt you go on. Paintballs massively reduce frustration while hunting when monsters run away.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 17, 2015

greth
Nov 12, 2008

Does it trouble your mind the way you trouble mine?

Lexorin posted:

ugh, I've breezed through the caravan missions until the real Gore Magala fight. Starting him out pissed is just a kick in the dick.

He only starts enraged on the first fight -- after that it's normal. I felt the same way and overprepared on my second attempt/first kill.

A Miserable Robot
Nov 4, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Magala is super easy when he's in his normal state, but yeah the enraged form is loving brutal. That homing explosion black/blue fireball thing hits like a mother loving truck. Ugh.

On the other hand, I've beaten him every time I hunted him, so git gud? Maybe make better armor? :cheeky:

Gore Magala is easy as hell. Double Frenzy Tigrex is easy as hell. Shagaru Magala is too tweaked out on amphetamines. He's pretty much enraged 100% of the time.

I'm sure it'd be easy with any other weapon, it's just hell with a greatsword because there's no good time for a charge except after a topple. Which is even harder because he seems programmed to avoid the areas where you can actually do a jump attack.

You can't even retreat to eat, sharpen, or heal. It just feels like the fight is designed for the Insect Glaive so you can easily topple him.

edit: and I did beat him first time, it just wasn't fun. Which was hella disappointing after reading another post here talking about how fun the fight was.

A Miserable Robot fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 17, 2015

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I just had the mounting tutorial pop up while fighting a Tigrex because apparently I've never actually jumped off a part of the environment and attacked something yet.

Insect Glaive 4 lyfe.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Hypha posted:

With Black Gravios, you lose that weakness. You will need bombs to break his stomach or gun him down. I recommend pierce shot.

That's not true. I broke his stomach with my Charge Blade just fine. In fact, that's one of the few places that I wasn't bouncing. With green sharpness, on the high rank Black Gravios, in fact.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

NESGuerilla, have you watched the Gaijin Hunter tutorials yet? Because holy poo poo, I just did and seeing all the crazy poo poo weapons are capable of really gets you hyped to play the game when you're an ignorant baby hunter like me. I went the entirely of MH3U without knowing about a lot of the advanced stuff. For example, I used to think I could never do Evade Lancing since it seemed too difficult, but seeing it in action is incredibly awesome. I'll definitely give it a shot once I can make some Evade+ armor. It's also nice to know exactly what I'm doing to make my Hunting Horn do the things it does seemingly at random. Now I think I'll be much better with it.

I also watched the Great Sword and Hammer videos, two popular weapons I have always been garbage with, and the potential there is just absurd. Comboing a charge into a slap into a super charge into a super swing, jesus the damage adds up to be just ludicrous. And Hammers, well, more mobile and equally impressive. I won't main them since I'm already too set in my ways, but I think I'll make a drill hammer and random greatsword and give them both a shot here and there. Everything is so fun.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

G-Prime posted:

That's not true. I broke his stomach with my Charge Blade just fine. In fact, that's one of the few places that I wasn't bouncing. With green sharpness, on the high rank Black Gravios, in fact.

The only places that green bounces on Black Gravios are his face and unbroken legs, IIRC. Chest, wings, back, legs after the break and tail are all fine with green, not sure if you ever stop bouncing on his face, and you need white to not bounce on his unbroken legs. But yeah, blademastering BG is an exercise in extreme masochism, get an LBG and pump him so full of water shot he drowns on dry land

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Fungah! posted:

100 quests on record and it still rules. Just wish there were a few more forgeable CBs, it's annoying to have to make all of them through upgrades

Also did you seriously say this was easier than 3U? Because lol no way in hell

I didn't spend much time in 3u but certainly easier than tri yeah

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I want to try multiplayer of course but I have yet to unlock more than one multiplier job at a time and I am always desperately close to out of mega potions/resources to make them. Just about to go to the third caravan stop, am I at least getting close to more multiplier jobs? (Or at least to a point where I can just buy potions and say gently caress blue mushrooms forever jesus Christ)

I've decided the three weapons I have the most fun/am best with are charge blade, hunting horn and gunlance. (Especially hunting horn, but in single player at least it feels a little lackluster, even buffed.) Question, what sorts of things make one weapon type better than another on a given encounter besides personal whimsy? Resistances, movement patterns, anything like that?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm having a hard time choosing what weapon to use, I really like them all :(

I am actually learning towards the Bug Staff being the weapon I had the most fun with, but I'm not too huge on the Kinsect mechanic. Maybe I'd get used to it...

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
The kinsect mechanic is about 100x better once you pump the thing so full of speed food it acts like it's on coke.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Does anyone know if any skills affect the duration of the Charge Blade Shield Charge? The only issue I have with the weapon is that the buff tends to run out at inopportune times, and it's annoying to have to burn phials to reactivate it.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Does anyone know what I need to do to unlock the ability to fight against Yian Garuga?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

So why does the friends list always say my friend is unavailable even though he's standing in his guild hall and I'm standing next to him. It seems to be entirely useless.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Infinity Gaia posted:

Does anyone know what I need to do to unlock the ability to fight against Yian Garuga?

You need to complete the "Kill 6 Remobra" quest.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Lexorin posted:

ugh, I've breezed through the caravan missions until the real Gore Magala fight. Starting him out pissed is just a kick in the dick.

Yeah, that was the first time I unintentionally 3 carted in a loooong time.

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.
The real Gore Magala fight is even worse because the first two times you fight him, he's easy and you can punch his face in. When he turns into Batman in the real fight and the kid gloves come off, you're suddenly wondering how that explosion just hit you for a third of your maxed out health.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

A Miserable Robot posted:

Gore Magala is easy as hell. Double Frenzy Tigrex is easy as hell. Shagaru Magala is too tweaked out on amphetamines. He's pretty much enraged 100% of the time.

I'm sure it'd be easy with any other weapon, it's just hell with a greatsword because there's no good time for a charge except after a topple. Which is even harder because he seems programmed to avoid the areas where you can actually do a jump attack.

You can't even retreat to eat, sharpen, or heal. It just feels like the fight is designed for the Insect Glaive so you can easily topple him.

edit: and I did beat him first time, it just wasn't fun. Which was hella disappointing after reading another post here talking about how fun the fight was.

Oh duh, you were talking about the harder variant :doh: I need to read slower.

Yeah that sounds pretty mean for GS. Switching weapons can be fun for variety, but it is annoying to feel like you have no choice.

Ciaphas posted:

I want to try multiplayer of course but I have yet to unlock more than one multiplier job at a time and I am always desperately close to out of mega potions/resources to make them. Just about to go to the third caravan stop, am I at least getting close to more multiplier jobs? (Or at least to a point where I can just buy potions and say gently caress blue mushrooms forever jesus Christ)

I've decided the three weapons I have the most fun/am best with are charge blade, hunting horn and gunlance. (Especially hunting horn, but in single player at least it feels a little lackluster, even buffed.) Question, what sorts of things make one weapon type better than another on a given encounter besides personal whimsy? Resistances, movement patterns, anything like that?

You're getting close to having 2 multipliers. That's still not a ton though, so if you're really hurting for potions then you probably just need to :2bong: and go run some harvest missions doing nothing but gathering.

I've got 40 mega potions in my bank and I've got both of my multipliers working on other things.

Different enemy attack patterns can effect different weapon types, yeah. Like GS needs time to set up attacks, so if the enemy is really mobile then you have a hard time, I remember barely killing Barioth in 3 under the time limit using GS. Some breaks are easier to do with certain weapon types (GS and SA and Lance are great at breaks, for example) while other weapons have different bounce rules. A hammer probably won't bounce to something that a yellow sharpness sword will. Switch Axe won't bounce to anything.

There's a whole lot of elemental resistances but all weapon classes have different weapons of different elements, so that's no reason to pick one over the other. Sometimes if you really need a certain carve (lets say you're trying to smash Rathian's tail) you'll wish you had somebody with a specific weapon to do the deal, although in co-op its not hard to get 1 person who can do the break for you, then you can just finish the boss off while they're working on that.

Really its about personal preference and which fighting style you exceed at. If you're using hunting horn, you need to know the songs that your horn can play and you need to keep the good ones active. If you're using GS, you need to land charge strikes. If you're using LS, you need to build up your combo. If you're using SA, you need to use sword mode as often as you can, and do the phial explosion. If you're using gunlance you need to use wyvern fire when you can, things like that.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 17, 2015

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

one thing that kept getting me is his explosion breath move that fans out. don't roll to the sides or it will hit you. roll through it

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Drop a trap, smash Gore's face in.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
I saw a guy at HR7 with a full HR Gore set. Seems a bit suspicious to be honest.

I'm finding the online overall really disappointing. For every online quest I finish it seems like there are two where the connection drops and I'm left completely alone against a Tigrex. Is it just the crappy internet provider here, or is this happening to everyone?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Teddles posted:

Is it just the crappy internet provider here, or is this happening to everyone?
it has been surprisingly good and solid for me

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Haven't had any drops so far, but I've only played 10-15 hours.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Neo_Crimson posted:

You need to complete the "Kill 6 Remobra" quest.

Ahhh, okay, I tend to avoid most quests that don't involve killing something cool, that explains it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Awesome! posted:

one thing that kept getting me is his explosion breath move that fans out. don't roll to the sides or it will hit you. roll through it

Yeah I felt the best approach was rolling towards him and under his legs.

Still when he enrages he attacks so fast its pretty easy for him to get you up against a wall and then toss a explosion in your face before you've even had time to stand up.

Teddles posted:

I saw a guy at HR7 with a full HR Gore set. Seems a bit suspicious to be honest.

I'm finding the online overall really disappointing. For every online quest I finish it seems like there are two where the connection drops and I'm left completely alone against a Tigrex. Is it just the crappy internet provider here, or is this happening to everyone?

I have yet to have a single hiccup online.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Volt Catfish posted:

I'm having a hard time choosing what weapon to use, I really like them all :(

I am actually learning towards the Bug Staff being the weapon I had the most fun with, but I'm not too huge on the Kinsect mechanic. Maybe I'd get used to it...

I find getting juice much easier when you just do the move point blank (this may change later on though). Like when I topple a monster I can usually get all 3 buffs by circling around it and sending the bug out.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Pretty much every time I fight a new monster it feels like a clusterfuck of random, unavoidable attacks until I figure things out. My first Gypceros kill in this game was just 20 minutes of getting stunned and poisoned over and over but after several attempts at getting that drat head I was killing him in 5 minutes without using any potions and it felt pretty great.

(protip: not only can you block the flash attack, but it'll trigger a lance counter-attack which you can easily turn into a real nice combo of attacks right into his loving face)

Son of a bitchfuck. I knew it felt like there was something I was missing with the flash. :argh: After that thing gave me so many headaches, too.

Mithross posted:

The kinsect mechanic is about 100x better once you pump the thing so full of speed food it acts like it's on coke.

There is a certain little joy in having a +Power Kinsect hit hard enough to knock a monster flat on its rear end, though.

Also gonna say that Glaive is a perfectly fine newbie weapon from the perspective of an actual newbie, the only real fiddly part is in how bug upgrades work and exactly how directing your bug works. The combos are super easy and the first time you get red+white (or god forbid all three) you'll feel like a level beyond golden god. And you can mount stuff at will, which is great.

edit:

Zaphod42 posted:

I have yet to have a single hiccup online.

I've seen others drop (including this one guy who said his 3DS kept entering sleep mode while open :stare: ) but I've yet to have any problems myself. I think ISP does matter.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Neo_Crimson posted:

Does anyone know if any skills affect the duration of the Charge Blade Shield Charge? The only issue I have with the weapon is that the buff tends to run out at inopportune times, and it's annoying to have to burn phials to reactivate it.

http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/armor/skill/loading

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Teddles posted:

I've probably done ~10-12 online hunts and I haven't had a single issue. I've probably hosted 4-5 of them.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I've given up on ever getting the triple buff with the bug staff. Getting red is easy, but white and orange like to alternate microscopic hitboxes.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Well i'm not new, but I do feel like trying something new (LS in 2, Hammers in Tri, Gunlance in P3rd, Switch Axe in 3U), so I'll probably stick with the Insect Glaive. Thanks for all your advices though!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

sitchelin posted:

I've given up on ever getting the triple buff with the bug staff. Getting red is easy, but white and orange like to alternate microscopic hitboxes.

it depends on the monster but obviously getting close and shooting the bug point blank makes it easier.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Does MH4U just not scale up well on the new 3ds? Alot of the text is kind of blurry, especially when doing things like entering passwords for friends rooms.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Anyone know what exactly makes the farm give you bumblepumpkins? It used to give me one or two every time it finished a set but I haven't gotten any in a long time and I need them to make dumb pumpkin armor. Does it have to be lower numbers of cycles?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Does MH4U just not scale up well on the new 3ds? Alot of the text is kind of blurry, especially when doing things like entering passwords for friends rooms.

What do you mean 'scale up'? Its running at native resolution on the new 3DS. It does supposedly get slightly better textures though, so don't know why it would look blurry when my old 3DS XL looks just fine? :shrug:

Get your eyes checked or don't worry so much about how the password font looks.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
It really depends on the monster. Most monsters I find white > red > orange in order of easiness, but Najarala it was orange > red > white, because of its tiny baby legs.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Please don't waste your time farming for a low rank set with s+1 unless you just love low rank and plan to stay there forever and get everything there. I already made a longer post explaining this before release, but AuXL is both mathematically superior and easier to get in low rank. Also very easy to instant-replace and retain AuXL in early high rank, which you should be reaching quickly anyway.

There are many set combinations for it. Near the end of low rank I liked Battle Helm, Tigrex Chest, Rathalos Vambraces, Velociprey Waist, Battle Boots, gem as needed. None of that requires rare drops--in fact, you should be able to make all of it after hunting each monster once, aside from rathian/los for the gems but do that online or wreck poo poo with an IG. IG have higher true raw than any other weapon in low rank, 160 or 170 compared to usual 140 cap...they outperform the other weapons even comparing AuL boosted to non-AuL boosted IG, but in exchange as you go into high rank and g-rank their upgrades take a while. Basically, you should never have to farm much if anything in low rank to get this. Since it uses parts from later monsters, your defense will be fine too.

As soon as you reach caravan high rank you'll be able to swap all of those pieces for jaggi (helm) and velociprey bits (most everything else) for more defense while retaining AuXL. S+1 and speed sharpen will both take more time to get and also make the hunts you use them together on take longer than just AuXL. And you'll be replacing all of it in high rank anyway unless you plan on getting two-shot.

Teddles posted:

How far are you from your router? How do you have your wireless setup on your 3DS? Manual or auto? Try things in this order:

1) Setup your wireless manually on your 3DS. Enter in the IP, subnet, gateway, DNS, etc. all manually. To do this open command prompt on your computer and type ipconfig /all. After that, look for the ip, subnet, and gateway. Add 10 to the final portion of the ip (ex: 111.111.111.6 becomes 111.111.111.016) and enter that in the 3DS, enter the others in exact. Make sure it's all three numbers and then a period, if a single digit is displayed add 0 to the front to keep the pattern. For DNS, use 008.008.008.008 as the primary and 008.008.004.004 as the secondary. This should all add up to a stronger connection on your 3DS.

2) If the above didn't do the trick, get closer to your router.

3) If that still didn't do the trick, your internet sucks, sorry. Maybe try using your 4G connection on your phone to supply wireless to the 3DS? If you don't have that, well, yeah that sucks.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

G-Prime posted:

I am glad being wrong. I just bombed him due to memories of FU and did not check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

NESguerilla posted:

If I'm finding this really grindy after a few hours, is there a still a good chance this will click with me? I'm fighting my first biggish monster (big bug thing) and I was enjoying it at first but it just kept flying off and after about 20 minutes I called it a night. I don't see a health bar so I don't even know how long this thing will take to kill. On one hand I think the aesthetic is charming, the combat is decently fun (really clunky though) and I love getting loot in games, on the other I'm just feeling really burned out running around this same area over and over. I haven't even touched multiplayer yet so I'll probably give that a whirl today if I can.

I really want to like Monster Hunter, but this is the third one I've tried and I always seem to get burned out after just a few hours. I'm going to try to stick with this one because I really want to see some of the bigger bosses and get some cool gear, but part of me wonders if I should just give up the ghost on the series and accept that it's not for me. I've really never got far enough into one of them to see any of the cool poo poo though.

Awesome! posted:

paintball the monster so if it runs off you can follow it easily. your first seltas should really not take that long to kill. what weapon are you using

try multiplayer a bit and watch how other people fight

gently caress the Seltas.

I am using the velociprey head hunting horn and I couldn't kill the Seltas. I paintballed it, whacked it, it ran away, then it went onto a wall in the top middle area. I hit it off the wall then it flew to another arena. I followed it there and it fights there for maybe 1 minute then goes back to the wall in that area.. I went between the wall and this other arena 4+ times. I am not even joking. I have full velociprey armor and velociprey horn. I have no problems with other monsters but the Seltas can go and die in a fire. It's hard to get him on the ground but when he is on the ground it's a lot easier. I even set a trap right below his wall chillout area and he never touched the ground there (he leaves the wall then leaves that area without even a bit of a fight) so it was quite frustrating.

I want to get another weapon but the only other weapon I have that's partially good is a second-craftable hammer (bone hammer?) +1

• Locked thread