Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Stacey (and Mia)
by SPV Photo, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Would have liked her a little further frame right and a bit more space between her and the cat, but otherwise gently caress yeah.

widunder
May 2, 2002
Here are some things I shot on behalf of some friends recently.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Hyde Park and Lake Park by TomOlson, on Flickr

RangerScum fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 17, 2015

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

Your photographs have a kind of alternate world vibe going on where the world is... altered, vacant. The people are few and far between and are not like us. You have the girl here lit up by the bus stop. Another photo has a dude in an empty room, lit by a phone, and then there's the christmas man lit up by the television (3 second exposure and perfectly still). Whether you're going for that uncanny look or not, I think your pictures are instantly recognisable and I like seeing them.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Beige posted:

Your photographs have a kind of alternate world vibe going on where the world is... altered, vacant. The people are few and far between and are not like us. You have the girl here lit up by the bus stop. Another photo has a dude in an empty room, lit by a phone, and then there's the christmas man lit up by the television (3 second exposure and perfectly still). Whether you're going for that uncanny look or not, I think your pictures are instantly recognisable and I like seeing them.

Thanks man! I do want them to look strange and/or unsettling, but not in an obvious "oh he just used a poo poo-ton of processing" kind of way. This was the first time I've tried one of these outside, and it was definitely more challenging and I'm not as happy with this as the others I've tried so far, but hopefully I can figure out some things to change to get better at it. I really appreciate the comments!

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

The skin is green purple.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Can't see past the purple. Have you considered turning your image into an 18% grey solid?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

TheAngryDrunk posted:

The skin is green purple.

That's because there's a big pink light that is casting a color on the skin!

edit: oops *WHOOSH*

RangerScum fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 17, 2015

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I hope you don't mind, that purple was really bothering me.
I gave the photo a slight edit, adjusted some curves, nothing drastic - http://i.imgur.com/tVTD7NC.png

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
For the sperges arguing about colour, my comment was in response to this from thetzar:

"His ears are a bit redder, and the greed color hosed with that a lot; but I tried to pull the color of his skin a bit back to normal and faded it to the ears. "

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Dude you need to stop loving posting.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

deaders posted:

For the sperges arguing about colour, my comment was in response to this from thetzar:

"His ears are a bit redder, and the greed color hosed with that a lot; but I tried to pull the color of his skin a bit back to normal and faded it to the ears. "

* Spergs

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

ansel autisms posted:

Dude you need to stop loving posting.

Actually never mind.

deaders fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 17, 2015

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

:golfclap:

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I wanted some feedback on this, maybe i'm overthinking it but is this portrait creepy? My niece is a little under 4 years old, and I'm not sure how I feel about my sister putting lipstick on her. It was just for photos, no creepy pageants or anything, but I dunno. I like the lighting and her expression (she is a very sassy kid) but I'm torn :/

stevie by francography, on Flickr

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

cute! but creepy. definitely creepy.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
The sharpness of the hair and the smoothness of the skin is the most off-putting part for me.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
The smoothness of the skin and the fact that it's black and white plays into the creep factor.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
You aren't sure about her wearing makeup but your smooth out her skin like that? :colbert:

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street
Did you double dip into the red channel?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Technically I think it's good but her expression looks like one of annoyance to me.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
I thought little kids just have smooth skin in general?

I like the photo but I don't understand your composition.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!

RangerScum posted:

I thought little kids just have smooth skin in general?

I like the photo but I don't understand your composition.

I agree on the composition. I think a 6x7 or similar crop would work well to cut a bit of the negative space out.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Thanks all for the critique. I tried to salvage it with a color version but meh, I'll just try and get better photos sans makeup some other time. After looking at it for awhile, it's not my favorite portrait anymore.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

So I had a series of photos on Arsenic Magazine. :nws: http://www.arsenicmag.com/submissions/2015/2/22/cracked-earth :nws:

If you happen to like the photos a "like" on their website is much appreciated. You don't need an account or to log in or anything. Just visit the page, hit the "like" button and you're done.

And they changed the link.

http://www.arsenicmag.com/submissions/2015/2/22/cracked-earth

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 22, 2015

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Stacey
by SPV Photo, on Flickr

amoeba
Aug 15, 2001

_MG_8336.jpg by justin.wake, on Flickr

_MG_8150.jpg by justin.wake, on Flickr

From a small fashion design portfolio shoot for a friend of a friend I did.. at some point last year? My first time in an actual studio, in any case. Had some fun goofing around with all the lights and modifiers on offer.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

amoeba posted:

_MG_8336.jpg by justin.wake, on Flickr

_MG_8150.jpg by justin.wake, on Flickr

From a small fashion design portfolio shoot for a friend of a friend I did.. at some point last year? My first time in an actual studio, in any case. Had some fun goofing around with all the lights and modifiers on offer.

That first dude is too cool for school, but I wish the light falloff at the top-left corner wasn't there. The girl seems washed out and unfortunately chinless.

A co-worker of mine seems to have had a very tall idea.

Untitled by thetzar, on Flickr

In taking this photo, I appear to have inadvertently stumbled close to the look of one of my favorite advertisement photographs. Further investigation in needed: http://imgur.com/FfgIasM

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I've gotten interested in environmental portraits. I was wondering whether you guys had any favorite environmental portraits, or photographers who do environmental portraits.

Just in case the term "environmental portrait" is foreign to you (it was to me). This would be an example:

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Awkward Davies posted:

I've gotten interested in environmental portraits. I was wondering whether you guys had any favorite environmental portraits, or photographers who do environmental portraits.

Just in case the term "environmental portrait" is foreign to you (it was to me). This would be an example:

I *love* them and want to start doing them.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Awkward Davies posted:

I much prefer doing environmental portraiture to conventional portraiture. I think there's a lot you can say about your subject just based on their relationship to their environment. I too would definitely like to do more of it.

Corey by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Lynn by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Harvey by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Let's have an "Environmental portrait" week

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

I love them too. I wish I knew people with interesting jobs/locations.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I love them too. I wish I knew people with interesting jobs/locations.

The key is to actually have conversations and establish rapport with people you meet randomly. I'm really bad at this, too, but my girlfriend is an anthropologist so I've been having her do it for me :v:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Awkward Davies posted:

I dig Kyle Cassidy.

He's got this series of authors in their writing spaces:

http://www.whereiwrite.org/bova.php

A few years ago he had a book out of gun owners in their homes, a few of my friends were in it:

http://www.armedamerica.org/index.html

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Phanatic posted:

A few years ago he had a book out of gun owners in their homes, a few of my friends were in it:

http://www.armedamerica.org/index.html

I'm guessing these are your friends?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Hold up let's make sure we get all these Dominos boxes in the shot too.

That second guy looks like he's just collecting war memorabilia in the form of standard infantry rifles, I bet most of those can't even be fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?

Awkward Davies posted:

This picture was so fitting to one of my favorite photographers' style that I had to check to see if it wasn't actually taken by him. And it wasn't. So then I'd like to recommend norwegian photographer Rune Johansen.

Some examples: