Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Louisgod posted:

Okay, and how..? You need to drag and drop the data from the old SD card to the new one but I can't connect it to my laptop without the adapter.

new 3ds supports transferring files from your pc to your 3ds wirelessly so as long as it's formatted and the thing can read it you should be ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Louisgod posted:

Okay, and how..? You need to drag and drop the data from the old SD card to the new one but I can't connect it to my laptop without the adapter.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3700920

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You know you can move data to and from the 3ds with your pc over wifi right? It's in the OP GOSH

I don't have access to an open wi-fi signal at work, unfortunately; my VPN needs requires a proprietary token to connect and the 3DS can't do it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Louisgod posted:

I don't have access to an open wi-fi signal at work, unfortunately; my VPN needs requires a proprietary token to connect and the 3DS can't do it.

you can just set up an ad hoc network or something

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Volt Catfish posted:

It is way way too stiff to be useful or used at all, really

I'm actually having trouble figuring out if it's just like this or if I have a defect on my console (according to Nintendo it's not supposed to be *that* stiff)

Have you ever used the ThinkPad mouse in the middle of the keyboard? Should feel a lot like that.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

corn in the bible posted:

you can just set up an ad hoc network or something

Good call though my co-worker has one so problem solved I guess. It may seem like I'm a massive retard when it comes to this but I've done this transfer 3 times now.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Louisgod posted:

Good call though my co-worker has one so problem solved I guess. It may seem like I'm a massive retard when it comes to this but I've done this transfer 3 times now.

No big deal, the wireless PC transfer is new this go around so not many people know of it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I can't speak for the r4i, but the dstwo works.

My questions is: is nintendo banning DS flash carts as well as gateway cards, or is it just gateway cards?

Did anything ever come of the Cubic Ninja homebrew exploit? I've heard exactly nothing about it since it came out and there was a huge run on Cubic Ninja carts.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

raditts posted:

Did anything ever come of the Cubic Ninja homebrew exploit? I've heard exactly nothing about it since it came out and there was a huge run on Cubic Ninja carts.

Nintendo patched the exploit and removed the digital version from the eShop.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

How do we tell Capcom that not putting Resident Evil Revelations 2 on the 3ds is stupid? Is it with not giving them money? Perhaps we need a jingle.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Okay so 3DS is really swank and I'm super glad I bought it, but my thumb keeps on slipping off the left stick after a few minutes of playing. Is there anything that I can stick on there to give it some more texture? Don't think that there's a lot of space with the lid closed and I'd rather not have to take it on and off every time.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Martytoof posted:

Okay so 3DS is really swank and I'm super glad I bought it, but my thumb keeps on slipping off the left stick after a few minutes of playing. Is there anything that I can stick on there to give it some more texture? Don't think that there's a lot of space with the lid closed and I'd rather not have to take it on and off every time.

Wear latex gloves.

Louisgod posted:

You should've practiced more before.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
My original 3DS shuts off and resets the system time whenever I apply any amount of pressure to the bottom-right corner of the device. It makes a loud popping noise, so I assume something in there is shorting. It is completely unplayable in this state. What can I do about this?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

flyboi posted:

Wear latex gloves.

Good idea. I'm already a 30-something guy in a business suit playing video games on the train, this will only add to my mystique!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Martytoof posted:

Good idea. I'm already a 30-something guy in a business suit playing video games on the train, this will only add to my mystique!

A thick Layer of cheeto dust will allow you to even grip the slickest of elephant contacts. "Game glasses" exist I'm sure street cred nerd marketed "gamer gloves" do too.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Going to stop off at the supermarket and report back tomorrow!

Joking aside though, I do see a bunch of attachable textured pads online -- just wondered if anyone had any particular recommendations :)

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can I just stick my 32 gb SD card into the New 3ds and have the files transfer that way?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

Can I just stick my 32 gb SD card into the New 3ds and have the files transfer that way?

Is it a microSD that you're currently using in a microSD-to-SD adapter? If so, then yeah. Otherwise you're SOL, since the N3DS takes a microSD.

edit: Also you would still need to do a system transfer to actually transfer the licenses to the new 3DS.

edit again: check out this post and also the title of this thread for more details

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Turtlicious posted:

No because it only has a microsd slot

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
How resilient are these left sticks because I feel sometimes like I'm janking it all over the place, the system feels really small so am I at risk of breaking it?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Turtlicious posted:

New 3DS uses microSD.

What I did was

1. take my old SD card out of my old 3DS

2. copy/paste it to my PC

3. copy/paste everything onto a microSD card

4. then put that into an adapter so I could use it in my old 3DS for the week or so it took for the n3DS to be released.

Then system transfer, which is literally following very basic instructions so it's kinda hard to screw up and even if you do, whatever, it's all on the PC anyway.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Nolgthorn posted:

How resilient are these left sticks because I feel sometimes like I'm janking it all over the place, the system feels really small so am I at risk of breaking it?

smash bros 3ds claimed the lives of countless sticks and we remember them proudly

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Healbot posted:

But Americans did it first.

Actually Kevin Warwick, a British Scientist, did it first with an RFID chip in his wrist to open doors and turn lights on in 1998 to see if it could be done :eng101:.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

A co-worker just came up to me with her MM New 3DS and was like "I figured you'd want a look at it before you finally bought your own."

Okay, first of all, that thing is prettier than any sticker would ever be, so that idea's out the loving window. Secondly, she had me open it up and play her Animal Crossing and I was like "yeah well whatever I've seen this" and she goes "but turn on the 3D." loving wow. I now understand why you're all talking about leaving the 3D on for games. I had no idea they could actually get the face tracking working that well. I'm seriously impressed and amazed that it wasn't like this from the start.

So yeah, I'm in a nice hate-spiral now.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Awesome! posted:

smash bros 3ds claimed the lives of countless sticks and we remember them proudly

On the other hand I played Smash 3DS for like 80 hours and my stick is fine so just don't get dumb and aggressive with it I guess

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
I don't understand what all of the fuss about system transfers was, my MM came today, I did the transfer, used my PC to copy files from my 32gb SD card to a new 32gb microSD card, put it in the new 3ds when it prompted, and I was done, just like the last three times I've done this process.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What's new in MH4 other then two new weapon types and climbing on monsters?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Wild Knight posted:

I don't understand what all of the fuss about system transfers was, my MM came today, I did the transfer, used my PC to copy files from my 32gb SD card to a new 32gb microSD card, put it in the new 3ds when it prompted, and I was done, just like the last three times I've done this process.

I'm trying to take notes, were you wearing shoes when you did this? I'm concerned that could affect the process. I'm also going to try to do it outside in a rainstorm. I didn't see anything about weather, but I think it's a good idea.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

SeANMcBAY posted:

the two new weapons and climbing on monsters owns. plus cats again and tons of monsters and no underwater bullshit

it's better than 3u is pretty much every way

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

Most or all of the old weapons also got tweaks, including jumping attacks and often new attacks/moves on the ground. It has online, whereas only the console ones had real online before I think. Lots of new monsters (relatively little overlap with 3U, barring a few being pretty similar, but still distinct in various ways).

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Oh yeah, I forgot about dress up cat pals. Does it have voice chat?

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
Well, this kinda sucks... I think I've spotted two dead/stuck pixels on my MM New 3ds. Anyone have any experience dealing with support on that kinda thing, since it's not just something I can exchange?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

So what are the chances of the N3ds being the DSi?

Are we getting a 4ds in a year that has proper 3d out the gate and a real second analog input? Im concerned about dropping 200 when theres not a lot of games on the horizon and Nintendo won't wait long to unify hardware.

They arent going to release a lot of games thata need the n3ds tech because that really cuts into the the user base. Happened with the DSi.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
To whoever suggested sitting cross-legged with a pillow in your lap as a method to play Kid Icarus: Uprising is a friggin genius! I can still only play 2-3 levels in a single sitting though before my hand starts to cramp a little. After playing with both control schemes to control the aiming reticle, using the stylus is much more easier to aim with. I take back my comment on how the new c-stick would be great for that purpose.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

raditts posted:

Did anything ever come of the Cubic Ninja homebrew exploit?

SNES and Game Boy emulators, plus a way to add your own custom themes instead of being limited by the official selection. That's about it. The region-free hack ended up not even using it.

Bombadilillo posted:

So what are the chances of the N3ds being the DSi?

That's what it is: a new revision that is perfectly ignorable.

Bombadilillo posted:

Are we getting a 4ds in a year that has proper 3d out the gate and a real second analog input?

Ah, you seek the wisdom of the Internet in reading the future. If you are taking bets, Nintendo will make a new handheld at some point. We are two years away from it at a minimum.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 18, 2015

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Flumpus posted:

Well, this kinda sucks... I think I've spotted two dead/stuck pixels on my MM New 3ds. Anyone have any experience dealing with support on that kinda thing, since it's not just something I can exchange?

If you bought it from a big chain store try exchanging it there. If not you'll have to go trough Nintendo to get it repaired. Start by checking their website, it'll have that steps required to initiate the repair. It shouldn't cost you anything but you'll e without your console for a week or two.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Saoshyant posted:

SNES and Game Boy emulators, plus a way to add your own custom themes instead of being limited by the official selection. That's about it. The region-free hack ended up not even using it.

That's what it is: a new revision that is perfectly ignorable.

Ah, you seek the wisdom of the Internet in reading the future. If you are taking bets, Nintendo will make a new handheld at some point. We are two years away from it at a minimum.

When's the next event where Nintendo will announce it's next batch of games. Maybe there will be something exciting that makes me watch to jump. Now it's just vague promises of a new fire emblem.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

When's the next event where Nintendo will announce it's next batch of games. Maybe there will be something exciting that makes me watch to jump. Now it's just vague promises of a new fire emblem.

Honestly Nintendo just does a Direct whenever they want. They could announce games whenever they want.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Vince Videogames posted:

Did anyone get that Ace Combat game that also came out last week? It really got overshadowed by Monster Hunter and Zelda but it seems like something that could be good.

It got overshadowed because it's a re-release of a very early 3DS game with a couple New 3DS enhancements (Amiibo support, twin-stick controls). The game itself is fine but you can get the original version for a lot less, so unless you really want to put a big stupid Luigi decal on your fighter jet you can skip the new version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Wildtortilla posted:

If you bought it from a big chain store try exchanging it there. If not you'll have to go trough Nintendo to get it repaired. Start by checking their website, it'll have that steps required to initiate the repair. It shouldn't cost you anything but you'll e without your console for a week or two.

Trying to exchange a highly sought after LE system may prove to be difficult though at a store though. Nintendo is maybe the best bet but no guarantees because of it being a hot item.