Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies
lol "clog up the spectrum with 12 wireless phones"

have you tried talking to any of your neighbors, who are also allowed to use their portion of the spectrum, to see if you can work something out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if u have coax they make adapters you can plug into that that work like powerline Ethernet but way better since theres no power on there.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Deacon of Delicious posted:

lol "clog up the spectrum with 12 wireless phones"

have you tried talking to any of your neighbors, who are also allowed to use their portion of the spectrum, to see if you can work something out

It would involve going through the condo board and they address any issues. I can get fined if someone complains when I knock on their door.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I can get fined if someone complains when I knock on their door.

does this happen regularly...??

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Shaggar posted:

if u have coax they make adapters you can plug into that that work like powerline Ethernet but way better since theres no power on there.

That's another hosed up thing. There is a cable jack, but when I continuity test it with the other two jacks in the house, there is no connection. I have looked everywhere for the junction point and I can't find it to see why it would have been cut.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I can get fined if someone complains when I knock on their door.

i think we found the real solution to your problem, its getting the hell outta there!!

where it so easy

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

du -hast posted:

does this happen regularly...??

There are a lot of bad feels in this place. I didn't buy it - I moved in with my fiance and I pay half of what the place costs her.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
def a solution for the neighbors

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
To clear one thing up, I can go knock on someone's door. But if I knock on a lot of doors, that is a problem.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Apple has fee less returns to the store. I am going to pick up an airport express and see if that helps. I have a feeling an electrician doing it would get expensive.

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies
well what if you knock on door, work something out with them, have them knock and the next person's door, and so on. if everyone only knocks on one other person's door, you'd all be in the clear. call it the "knockchain"

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Oh, forgot to mention I sinfully cohabitate with a woman who very much cares about what things look like, and even conduit along the wall is out. Otherwise I totes would have done it already.
are you talking about conduit or raceway? conduit is hella ugly but you can get baseboard/crown molding raceway that won't look hosed up

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

well what if you knock on door, work something out with them, have them knock and the next person's door, and so on. if everyone only knocks on one other person's door, you'd all be in the clear. call it the "knockchain"

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

What would I do to make sure someone doesn't implement a double knock against the knock chain?

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SYSV Fanfic posted:

What would I do to make sure someone doesn't implement a double knock against the knock chain?

pretend you didnt start the chain, just blame your closest neighbour and get them kicked out

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Valeyard posted:

pretend you didnt start the chain, just blame your closest neighbour and get them kicked out

I'll try denial first.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Captain Foo posted:

shouldn't you only need to double vlan tag if you're already doing ip-ip encapsulation

like what are you doing

since you asked its a router that i write horrible java code for, it has a chip that provides 5 gigE ports but they all show up as vlans under eth0 due to the way it works, so if you also want to have other vlans then certain things need to be doubel tagged and poo poo.

my coworker informed me earlier that the way we do native vlans (create a bridge between the lan port and a vlan) won;t work on this one due to this chip and the fact that it is "smart enough" to not allow that kind of horseshit

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I'm in wireless hell. There are 30 networks in range. They are split evenly on 1, 6, and 11. It's a mix of N and G on every channel, which already makes it hellish. From 5-11 (netflix, cord cutting, lol) the wireless is unusable about 8 feet from the router. Signal quality of 30% at best. My computer desk is in a loft, and the cable modem is on the opposite side of the condo. It is 40 feet from my desk to the cable modem and there is a line of sight. I am skeptical of AC because I fully expect assholes to buy the new equipment that makes ac have 2 channels.

I bought powerline networking equipment, but when an appliance kicks on or off the connection drops.

With respect to ethernet, There are either a poo poo ton of studs in the way around the outside wall. There are no wires run on the outside wall after a certain point. The inside wall and the ceiling are inaccessible as well as there is a chimney that goes all the way back to the fire wall. There are ducts, but the way they branch out of the furnace means that is out.

Apart from my bastard plan to make the 2.4ghz spectrum unusable with cordless phones, forcing my scumbag neighbors to run cables to their rokus and the condo board to address wireless networking - what else can I do..

My best plan right now is to throw a cable out of the loft, round the outside wall, run it under the door mat and to the router. I'd just have to put it up when we had company.

Any non ghetto ideas yospos?

if you have a ceiling, run cables into it and put your router there.

otherwise just pay money for the most powerful router you can find, hopefully one with beamforming antennae and poo poo. or get one with removable antennae such that you can put fuckoff huge ones on it to flatten ur signal out big time.

another option would be to redo the wallpaper in your place with all tinfoil or wire mesh under it!
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/05/anti-wifi-wallpaper-lets-cellular-and-radio-through/

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

for a wireless router i wouldn't actually suggest the apple one.

lik emaybe in the past but everything i'm hearing now is they are underperforming underconfigurable and overpriced (lol apple amirite)

I keep reccomending the asus AC68U and it really actually is a good solid router. no, i know asus made it, yes, it's still good.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

bobbilljim posted:

since you asked its a router that i write horrible java code for, it has a chip that provides 5 gigE ports but they all show up as vlans under eth0 due to the way it works, so if you also want to have other vlans then certain things need to be doubel tagged and poo poo.

my coworker informed me earlier that the way we do native vlans (create a bridge between the lan port and a vlan) won;t work on this one due to this chip and the fact that it is "smart enough" to not allow that kind of horseshit
Holy poo poo lmao

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

bobbilljim posted:

if you have a ceiling, run cables into it and put your router there.

Yeah, I have a ceiling.

Computer is to the rear of that loft. A stairwell about cuts the condo in half.

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

I keep reccomending the asus AC68U and it really actually is a good solid router. no, i know asus made it, yes, it's still good.

It looks good. Going to try the airport first though.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

Holy poo poo lmao

time to smash some values into registers and pray to atherosqualcomm that it magically works

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

SYSV Fanfic posted:

That's another hosed up thing. There is a cable jack, but when I continuity test it with the other two jacks in the house, there is no connection. I have looked everywhere for the junction point and I can't find it to see why it would have been cut.

take the plates off all the wall sockets and look behind them to see if they've stuffed the junction point in one of them. some tiems they don't bother to hook everything up cause it means the cable co gets $$ for installation

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

the airport express I got auto sensed that it was behind the router from the att home gateway thing and automagically went in to AP only mode and I only run one data-heavy device at a time so I don't really care if its sharing an antenna for 2.4 and 5ghz. all the parameters I would ever want to screw around with were in the advanced options built in to my iphone and it was super easy to set the 2.4ghz channel because the noise floor at the far end of the house is crowded on different channels so it guessed wrong. A+ would buy again

Shaggar posted:

take the plates off all the wall sockets and look behind them to see if they've stuffed the junction point in one of them. some tiems they don't bother to hook everything up cause it means the cable co gets $$ for installation

not just $$$ at install. some providers will charge an extra $5/mo for each additional active drop inside the residence

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

SYSV Fanfic posted:

If it's an apartment it's probably junctioned outside. Even then it's probably running through a splitter and as such you won't see continuity between outlets.

5 gHz is the pro choice for an apartment. You don't need the range as much as you need the clear spectrum.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
re: wireless: if the apple stuff doesnt work out, get two 5ghz ubnt nanostations loco and point them at each other. problem solved. if you cant use 5ghz for some reason, i bet the 2.4ghz version would still punch through the ambient interference pretty well because directional antennas.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

ubiquiti poo poo owns

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Raluek posted:

re: wireless: if the apple stuff doesnt work out, get two 5ghz ubnt nanostations loco and point them at each other. problem solved. if you cant use 5ghz for some reason, i bet the 2.4ghz version would still punch through the ambient interference pretty well because directional antennas.

If the airport doesn't work out, I am doing this. 10M, 10KM whats the difference.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

CrazyLittle posted:

you will probably have to expand the logical volume separately. this just makes your "physical" disk size larger.

you're right and I did it and it's amazing thanks

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

sometimes expanding and extended an array are the same thing, with some vendors expanding means you are adding in additional drives to the array which breaks parity and all that has to be rebuilt while extending involves dropping in a new independent array and the two are addressed as a single physical unit of storage. really depends on what you're working with.

thanks and I think that's where the confusion was. I was using hp. I think extending the array was adding the physical drives and then I EXPANDED the logical volume.

whatever

new question is there a new truecrypt I can use

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

bobbilljim posted:

ubiquiti poo poo owns

as a user of ubiquiti kit, i can confirm this.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

bobbilljim posted:

ubiquiti poo poo owns

i can confirm this for point2point bridges

knock on wood the bostonsnowpocalypse hasn't affected them at all

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Captain Foo posted:

i can confirm this for point2point bridges

knock on wood the bostonsnowpocalypse hasn't affected them at all

i'm using both the point to point, enterprise APs and routers and it's all good kit. i have one of their enterprisey PoE switches on my desk and it's only meh-okay but a good deal for the price. the switch has a ton of documentation on using the serial console but lol they forgot to actually put a console port on it

one of these days i'll try their voip stuff but im not holding my breath because it's probably buggy as hell. like all voip

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

CrazyLittle posted:

i'm using both the point to point, enterprise APs and routers and it's all good kit. i have one of their enterprisey PoE switches on my desk and it's only meh-okay but a good deal for the price. the switch has a ton of documentation on using the serial console but lol they forgot to actually put a console port on it

one of these days i'll try their voip stuff but im not holding my breath because it's probably buggy as hell. like all voip

crack teh fucker open, must be a serial somehwere :mrgw:

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

bobbilljim posted:

crack teh fucker open, must be a serial somehwere :mrgw:

totally is but you have to get a rs232 breakout board and tap into some contacts and gently caress doing that on something i expect warranty service on

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Airport express solved all my problems. I mean all of them. Like, my neighbors dog no longer barks and poo poo. Wifi speeds are great. My fiance can stream from her phone to her boombox now.

Happy_yosposter_1001011

Was a little dissapointed there wasn't much janitoring to do. Can't imagine the horror of setting up a new mac mini and not having to install drivers and stuff.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i have a lenovo t430u and in light of all of the recent news I want to reinstall windows on it

can I do something to make the SSD keep working like a cache?

right now there is some behind-the-scenes stuff going on that chooses what to put on it, and i'm pretty sure it is not big enough to be used like a normal OS disk

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Corla Plankun posted:

i have a lenovo t430u and in light of all of the recent news I want to reinstall windows on it

right now there is some behind-the-scenes stuff going on that chooses what to put on it, and i'm pretty sure it is not big enough to be used like a normal OS disk

ThinkPads don; t have superfish according to their advisory http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/product_security/superfish

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Corla Plankun posted:

you could put the pagefile on it, but that's not going to do a lot unless you're low on memory. you might be able to get away with moving your profile there, which is where your appdata and temp folders are going to be, and that might speed things up a little, but that might also break poo poo in weird ways

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so im gon build a pc for my brother. its basically gon be browse, itunes.. maybe watch youtube?

is those intel chips with built in gfx gon be sufficient?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
gon