Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

muscles like this? posted:

So... reversal of status quo with Abbie as the woman out of time during the War?

Yep, nice mirroring of the pilot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Yes, interesting things are happening! I missed you, Sleepy!

Edit: Hahahaha nice mirror of the pilot.

Edit2: OH poo poo THEY EVEN HAVE SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL
OH MY GOD

Also: Poor Abbie, being black in the 1700s. She just pulled the worst card ever

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Postal Parcel posted:

OH MY GOD

Also: Poor Abbie, being black in the 1800s. She just pulled the worst card ever

A black woman. Wearing pants. This is gonna suck.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

You know what?

It was all worth it for this.

This entire season was worth it for this.

We need season 3.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Abbie going for a Hail Mary. Wow.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
This is amazing. Can't wait for next week.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Resetting time is cool, but goddamn was Katrina's heel turn bad.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Well, at least things will be interesting next week.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I really hope they stay in the past.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
OK, this show is great again!

Keep in mind because were back in time that means all bets are off. When and if they reset things, folks who are dead can come back to life depending on where our characters retun to the present. I love the idea that things are going to be shaken up though, the whole history behind the story is changed.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

katrina being the big bad after coming from a line of witches who do good, and after being the one character who set the entire story in motion by being good?

that's pretty stretched and contrived, sleepy hollow.

but at least where we ended up is interesting.

bonus thought: there is a new copy of the fenestella right here

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

Ernie. posted:

katrina being the big bad after coming from a line of witches who do good, and after being the one character who set the entire story in motion by being good?

that's pretty stretched and contrived, sleepy hollow.

but at least where we ended up is interesting.

The other witches have been pretty morally ambiguous though, much like Crane's Masons. They're officially good but often don't make the most compassionate decisions.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ernie. posted:

And the Fenestella was only hidden from Crane until the second witness appears. If Abbie can convince them she is the second witness, there is no reason for the old timey guys to keep things hidden. I wonder if real Jefferson will be as open minded about a black lady witness as holoJefferson was.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

kefkafloyd posted:

I think he's more like Solid Snake.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I was surprised (and a tad distraught) to discover that next week is the season finale... Isn't 18 episodes an unusual number? Does anyone remember if it was always meant to be 18 or if they decided to cut it short for some reason?

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Croisquessein posted:

OK, this show is great again!

Keep in mind because were back in time that means all bets are off. When and if they reset things, folks who are dead can come back to life depending on where our characters retun to the present. I love the idea that things are going to be shaken up though, the whole history behind the story is changed.

I'm going to be slightly disappointed unless they come back to find Nazis riding dinosaurs.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm sensing some guy in a suit standing in the writers room, handing out ideas.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

I was surprised (and a tad distraught) to discover that next week is the season finale... Isn't 18 episodes an unusual number? Does anyone remember if it was always meant to be 18 or if they decided to cut it short for some reason?

It always was an order of 18 episodes. Which is more than they got in the first season, though that might've been one of the problems with this season.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

johntfs posted:

I'm going to be slightly disappointed unless they come back to find Nazis riding dinosaurs.

I'll be honest, at first I thought Abby went back to dinosaur times.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

A part of me is afraid that time travel is just going to be a finale gimmick and that we'll go back to status quo when it's all over. Also, I'll be very upset if John Noble is gone for good.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

I'm pretty sure that at one point in the parking garage Irving literally sighed as he drew his katana. :psyduck:

I'm far from convinced that timelost Abbie will be enough to compensate for the fatigue of watching the rest of this season.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

It's the end of season three of Fringe all over again!

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

howe_sam posted:

It's the end of season three of Fringe all over again!

I look forward to the crossover episode, in which it becomes established that Henry is actually another Walternate.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Dazerbeams posted:

A part of me is afraid that time travel is just going to be a finale gimmick and that we'll go back to status quo when it's all over. Also, I'll be very upset if John Noble is gone for good.

I hope it's not just the finale. But I also hope Jenny and Future-Ichabod aren't gone that long.

My hope is that next episode, Ichabod and Jenny find a way to follow Abbie into the past. And then we stay in the past for a little while and everyone wins.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
Absent Hessians on dinosaurs next week, I'm done with this show. Actually, I'm pretty much done with the show now. It's ruined for me. It wasn't Katrina or Henry or lack of Irving or Jenny or Crane Family Drama that did it. It was this episode. This episode proves that The Powers That Be are officially The Fanbase. This episode was about "Giving the Fans What They Want" without regard to plot or character or story logic. So, at this point, fan service trumps everything. Do the fans want Ichabod and Abbie to get married? Fine. Do they want Irving, Jenny Ichabod and Abbie to have a sexual foursome? Fine.

See, fan input seems like a good thing at first. However, generally the worst movies, TV episodes, etc. are those written by committee. Those that try to please everyone. Now, Sleepy Hollow will be a show "written" by a committee of thousands. There is a reason that "fan fiction" is a synonym for "lovely, self-indulgent writing." We got an object lesson in that this episode. I suspect the next part of that lesson will come next week.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

johntfs posted:

Absent Hessians on dinosaurs next week, I'm done with this show. Actually, I'm pretty much done with the show now. It's ruined for me. It wasn't Katrina or Henry or lack of Irving or Jenny or Crane Family Drama that did it. It was this episode. This episode proves that The Powers That Be are officially The Fanbase. This episode was about "Giving the Fans What They Want" without regard to plot or character or story logic. So, at this point, fan service trumps everything. Do the fans want Ichabod and Abbie to get married? Fine. Do they want Irving, Jenny Ichabod and Abbie to have a sexual foursome? Fine.

See, fan input seems like a good thing at first. However, generally the worst movies, TV episodes, etc. are those written by committee. Those that try to please everyone. Now, Sleepy Hollow will be a show "written" by a committee of thousands. There is a reason that "fan fiction" is a synonym for "lovely, self-indulgent writing." We got an object lesson in that this episode. I suspect the next part of that lesson will come next week.

:stare:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ernie. posted:

Just slide in an offhanded comment to Jefferson. "You know, if I were building a secret underground library full of prophetic texts, I'd be sure not to pack the surrounding tunnels full of cannibalistic uncontrollable undead."

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

Looks like Abraham is there. Not sure if he's headless, but there.

I think people are being too hard on this season. It's not bad, it's just not up to the standards the previous season set. That first season built up a lot of good will for me, and I'm willing to hang with it and see where it's going, even though the tone has changed and there are some elements I don't care for (mostly Hawley). The last fer episodes have been pretty good, though I agree the Holo-Jefferson episode didn't make much sense. Evil painting guy and Solomon Kent were fun villains and I'm suprisingly cool with Katrina's shitheel turn. She's probably messed up just like Henry. Give me some more monsters and I'll stay on board.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

johntfs posted:

Do you honestly think the writers are able to change what was probably already filmed just to appease fans? (Yet we still had Hawley for like 10 episodes in a row?)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Croisquessein posted:

Looks like Abraham is there. Not sure if he's headless, but there.

Katrina went back to save her child. So probably after she got pregnant, but before Crane got himself killed beheading the horseman. If she doesn't save Crane, then her coven won't imprison her in purgatory as punishment, and she will get to raise her child herself.

In which case Abraham has probably become the horseman, but not yet been beheaded, so he's the shity leather mask horseman.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Abbie is 100% the person that got turned to stone that she thinks is her ancestor.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

Abbie is 100% the person that got turned to stone that she thinks is her ancestor.

why would she go in for the sword? why wasn't there a crane beside her, considering it takes two to get a sword out and she is turned?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ernie. posted:

why would she go in for the sword? why wasn't there a crane beside her, considering it takes two to get a sword out and she is turned?

Maybe she went in so she could survive to reach the future again? Presumably after falcon punching Katrina.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Azhais posted:

Maybe she went in so she could survive to reach the future again? Presumably after falcon punching Katrina.

Yeah, but I also have a problem with the insinuation that the timeline katrina/abbie just went back from was a continuation of the one they went back to. It's more likely that all the events happening now didn't happen in the past, considering katrina wasn't evil in the past.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I'm just annoyed that the entire season wasn't spent with Abbie in the past! I'll be sad when it only lasts an episode too :(

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Angela Christine posted:

And the Fenestella was only hidden from Crane until the second witness appears. If Abbie can convince them she is the second witness, there is no reason for the old timey guys to keep things hidden. I wonder if real Jefferson will be as open minded about a black lady witness as holoJefferson was.

Jefferson was a big fan of black ladies if ya know what I mean :wink:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So is there any way the show gets canceled? Sure as poo poo seems like they're not planning on that. Also I was :rolleyes:ing at most of the last episode until the cello version of "Sympathy For The Devil" kicked in. Goddamn, what a great touch.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
It's up in the air still. Fox seems like they desperately want to save the show--the executive mandated retool was a rare step, usually they just axe flagging sci-fi/fantasy shows outright. But its ratings are still plummeting, and apparently even Gotham is starting to tank now and is dragging Sleepy Hollow down even more.

I still don't trust Fox one inch with genre shows though, so I'm considering it cancelled until I see an official renewal story on an actual news site.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
For what it's worth television by numbers seems to like its chances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

The Lord Bude posted:

For what it's worth television by numbers seems to like its chances.

TVBTN is run by a bunch of uneducated loons, but either way I do hope there is an S3 to course correct. Looks like S2 finale will just go for broke and mirror the premiere so there's some sense of closure just in case.

• Locked thread