Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

I really don't understand why you guys are pissing in eyebeem's Cheerio's because he likes the Slingshot. So what it's not as quick a modern sports cars. It's not supposed to be. It's a fun driving experience that costs SIGNIFICANTLY less than its competition. How many of you are going to threadshit on Comrade Flynn because he just spent a bunch of money on a 12 year old Lambo when he could have bought a 10 year old corvette and modded it to be even quicker? None, because the Lambo is different and represents a hell of a driving experience with the gated shifter. It's conspicuous consumption either way. I don't understand the vendetta here.

eyebeem posted:

I'm glad the only large component made out of metal is the main chassis beam. It's heavy enough.

Now, when I can buy a stupidly expensive carbon fiber stroller.... I'm there.

http://www.mccormackdesign.co.uk/design/carbon-fibre-stroller-design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Jesus loving christ this is ridiculous and everyone in the last half a page should be probated, probably including me, read the goddamn thread title.

eyebeem pisses people off because he is an insecure smug rear end in a top hat who humblebrags about money. "oh yeah no big deal just 20k for a ~weekend toy~ seems pretty good to me! :smug:" Thus the custom title. It's pretty obvious.

Here is some actual horrible poo poo because I would rather look at it than pages of this argument.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Someone played Bridge Builder back in junior high and went, "That's it, I know all I need to engineer anything now."

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Here is some actual horrible poo poo because I would rather look at it than pages of this argument.

....how do you get under the hood?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

dissss posted:

Cars are status symbols too remember - small and cheap doesn't exactly send the right type of message.

In North America there also seems to be this stereotype of hatchbacks either being juvenile or for poor people. Oddly, the my generation of Integra was inexplicably popular because despite being was a hatchback it wasn't styled like one.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 17, 2015

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Das Volk posted:

They have, and it's a sadder world for it. *pours out some $20/l oil for the fallen ///M brand*

It's crazy, I've been a fan of BMW's since I can remember, and if you told my college self who lusted after an E46 M3 like no other car that in this day and age I'd prefer both the performance (minus lack of a stick shift) level and styling of Mercedes Benz AMG vehicles, I'd have slapped you silly.

It's a drat shame. Now they've gone ahead and basically released a Mazda5.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

From a ways back, but supposedly, that's the only surviving Elysium GT-R.
SR Autogroup is putting a Liberty Walk kit on it.

http://www.srautogroup.com/blog/?s=elysium

e: I like the Slingshot, but it should be cheaper (mainly so I can afford it.) I'd prefer a Morgan for the classic styling, but they're even sillier in pricing. And yes, it's about fun more than practicality. I guess I should just build a trike out of an old Goldwing or something.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 17, 2015

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

CommieGIR posted:

....how do you get under the hood?
Just cross the road without looking.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Flipperwaldt posted:

Just cross the road without looking.

Well played.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

kastein posted:

Jesus loving christ this is ridiculous and everyone in the last half a page should be probated, probably including me, read the goddamn thread title.

eyebeem pisses people off because he is an insecure smug rear end in a top hat who humblebrags about money. "oh yeah no big deal just 20k for a ~weekend toy~ seems pretty good to me! :smug:" Thus the custom title. It's pretty obvious.

Is this truck in Australia? Seems like overkill for a roo bar, but would make even less sense in the US. Also, that's gotta be super heavy.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

kastein posted:

I guess it does a good job of minimizing the Escalade's bulk?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

Is this truck in Australia? Seems like overkill for a roo bar, but would make even less sense in the US. Also, that's gotta be super heavy.

I wanna see a side view, rear tires are probably touching pavement with the faintest brush of rubber.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

T1g4h posted:

The Slingshot just seems to me like one of those solutions searching for a problem. It's not particularly good looking, it's not really practical, and everything it's designed to do, you could do with something much cheaper that you could use any other day of the week. I admit i'm not the target market, I just don't really get who the target market is :shrug:

In all honesty, when I see the Slingshot or Can-Am Spyder vehicles, it screams "I want a motorcycle but I'm too pussy/too lazy to go learn how to drive one and get licensed for it". That's about the only segment of the market I could see getting one since it's smaller and more lightweight than a car but potentially has sharper handling and doesn't need an extra license or road course training to purchase/use.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Somewhere, there is someone that is deserving of pretty much every torture method devised by humanity.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Falken posted:

Gotta make sure the engine can breathe properly! (Although I'll harbour a guess that 9 of those exhausts are fake)

Usually when I see a car like this on the road, you can tell which one is the real one because it is smoking, ostensibly because they put money into fake exhausts instead of basic vehicle maintenance.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Protocol7 posted:

Usually when I see a car like this on the road, you can tell which one is the real one because it is smoking, ostensibly because they put money into fake exhausts instead of basic vehicle maintenance.

"Change the piston rings, valve seals, or head gasket? How will that help performance!"

I am never surprised to find one of these and have oil smoke blow in my face when it takes off.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

MrYenko posted:

Somewhere, there is someone that is deserving of pretty much every torture method devised by humanity.

I'm pretty sure (at least hoping) that it's a vinyl wrap.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ozz81 posted:

In all honesty, when I see the Slingshot or Can-Am Spyder vehicles, it screams "I want a motorcycle but I'm too pussy/too lazy to go learn how to drive one and get licensed for it". That's about the only segment of the market I could see getting one since it's smaller and more lightweight than a car but potentially has sharper handling and doesn't need an extra license or road course training to purchase/use.

You're generally right, the idea that they handle better than a car is patently false though. They're smaller and more nimble but when you really start to turn the heat up, the inside wheel just starts lifting and it's all over rover. An S2000 or similar with a similar power:weight ratio would run circles around a can-am.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Personally I'm more of a fan of the people who buy Harleys then put training wheels on them.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

angryhampster posted:

So what it's not as quick a modern sports cars. It's not supposed to be. It's a fun driving experience that costs SIGNIFICANTLY less than its competition.

Ozz81 posted:

it's smaller and more lightweight than a car but potentially has sharper handling and doesn't need an extra license or road course training to purchase/use.
In most places it requires a Motorcycle license/endorsement to ride, as well as wearing a helmet where applicable. It's competition is Motorcycles, not cars. It's significantly more expensive than a motorcycle.

Speaking of cars, here is some terrible car truck stuff:

A bargain at only $85,888! Over $140,000 invested! Apparently whoever originally bought this monstrosity has decided that it was a poor decision and is selling it again:
https://www.leakecar.com/consignments/51/current-consignments/88/oklahoma-city-2015/2477/2012-dodge-ram-3500?action=itemdetail

I wonder how long it takes the new buyer to put a smoke tune on it. :allears:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Those giant fuckoff spikes on the wheels never cease to amuse. They just seem like the most terrible idea.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

MrYenko posted:

It's no more terrible than this 'Union Jack' E-Type from Austin Powers. The flag ain't even right...

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

T1g4h posted:

Those giant fuckoff spikes on the wheels never cease to amuse. They just seem like the most terrible idea.

They're plastic, they aren't going to hurt anyone.

E: well nothing but your eyes.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

veedubfreak posted:

They're plastic, they aren't going to hurt anyone.

E: well nothing but your eyes.

Aww. So much for my idea of Brotrucks using modern day Boudica spikes :(

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

CommieGIR posted:

"Change the piston rings, valve seals, or head gasket? How will that help performance!"

I am never surprised to find one of these and have oil smoke blow in my face when it takes off.

Can't forget the exhaust note that sounds eerily similar to a weed trimmer.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Protocol7 posted:

I wish all these clapped out Hondas would finally die. Any time I'm driving and I smell oil burning I play spot the fartcan.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

veedubfreak posted:

I wish all these clapped out Hondas would finally die. Any time I'm driving and I smell oil burning I play spot the fartcan.

I do not miss living in a middle class suburb. My Prelude, which is red, is apparently race bait and I cannot count the amount of times I swear a lawnmower, in both speed and sound, was trying to race me.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Protocol7 posted:

I've always wondered why they didn't just straight pipe versus a cheap fart can.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 18, 2015

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

veedubfreak posted:

I hate the poor too

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

PCOS Bill posted:

I hate the poor too
You don't need money to have taste.

And if you can afford a 4" tailpipe backbox for your car, you can afford to service the loving thing.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

InitialDave posted:

You don't need money to have taste.

Ugh just go buy a new car already you disgusting poor what's wrong with your taste?

quote:

And if you can afford a 4" tailpipe backbox for your car, you can afford to service the loving thing.

The original exhaust probably rusted out, and the fartcans are cheaper than OEM replacements. They likely DID service that.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

PCOS Bill posted:

Ugh just go buy a new car already you disgusting poor what's wrong with your taste?

The original exhaust probably rusted out, and the fartcans are cheaper than OEM replacements. They likely DID service that.

Not to mention at this point it was probably purchased with that poo poo on it, and replacing it with a better option comes behind food and housing.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
It's a fine line trying to figure out if they are just the person who got stuck with a really, really cheap ride off a car lot or they're the idiot who did all the terrible poo poo in the first place.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

No pictures because you can't photograph smells, but I rode in my roommates Mazda 3 today and good lord. It smells like it's on fire once it warms up. I asked her about it and learned the last time it had any maintenance beyond tires/battery was sometime in 2011.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
My flatmate has a mid 90s Mazda Familia which hasn't had any preventative maintenance since 2011 either and that drat thing runs just fine - starts first pop, isn't unduely noisy, gearbox and cluctch are still fine.

We do have six monthly safety inspections so at least the lights/brakes/tyres are okay but its certainly never had any oil, coolant or even a battery in that time.

What are you supposed to do with a car that behind on maintenance anyway? I have a feeling at this point even an oil change would do more harm than good.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5dFSQ7sdxc
as you can see from the poorly shot video of this 240SX booger welded onto a blazer chassis, poor taste has migrated somewhat over to taller, more truck like vehicles

i feel like i see more of these than autozone spoilers

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Other end of the political spectrum is a bunch of loving wack jobs too:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How is having three random number plates dangling off the back of your car while the real one is completely obscured not illegal?

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

guy fuckin' loves whatever OBX is, also apparently fond of rear end

on the subject of of political cars there's never a bad time for freedom van (this is the second of these vans)

razorscooter fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Feb 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ozz81 posted:

It doesn't always say that. Sometimes it says "I'm too fat to ride a loving motorcycle."