Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
commies are literally either complete retards or sociopaths

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Necc0 posted:

i paid cap gains for the first time this year

feels good man

ikr

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

dude raises 200 mil, decides to use buzzwords to describe why that's not ridiculous

quote:

It’s hard to think of any company that has been successful when raising anywhere close to this much money before opening up to the public. What makes you think Jet will be different?

When you describe the amount of capital and the context of it being pre-launch, it sounds absurd. But you have to think of it in the context of the team and the market opportunity the team is going after. So as I sat there way back when we invested $5 million in the first round, it was rooted in the idea that commerce has not been innovated on in a long, long time. Amazon has a disproportionate share of the market and many, many others continue to grow. But we haven’t seen a real type of disruptive innovation in e-commerce after 20 years of massive growth that started when Amazon started.
also

quote:

To do this, the company says it will make its profit exclusively from the $50 annual membership fee Jet shoppers will have to pay. That model, Lore says, will free Jet up to take the cut of sales its partner retailers give the site and return it to shoppers in the form of discounted prices. Jet is also building a pricing engine that it says will add additional discounts in real time to customer orders when shoppers buy stuff that happens to be located in warehouses closer to them, bringing down the shipping cost for Jet’s partner retailers. Additional discounts will be added when a customer forfeits his or her right to return an item or pays with a debit card instead of credit.
http://recode.net/2015/02/17/an-investor-tries-to-explain-why-its-not-insane-to-give-220-million-to-a-yet-to-launch-startup/

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
how the gently caress did you leave out the opening line?!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Necc0 posted:

please leave out all the lines and stop posting

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Necc0 posted:

"Many people thought Marc Lore, co-founder of Diapers.com, was crazy when he said he eventually wanted to raise $600 million for his new shopping site, Jet.com. "

not that exciting tbqh

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
so basically it's gonna be amazon with a forced prime membership and none of the quality controls

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

qirex posted:

"Many people thought Marc Lore, co-founder of Diapers.com, was crazy when he said he eventually wanted to raise $600 million for his new shopping site, Jet.com. "

not that exciting tbqh

diapers.com is p. funny

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

jet sounds like the apotheosis of race to the bottom retail which means it's probably going to be super successful

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

qirex posted:

jet sounds like the apotheosis of race to the bottom retail which means it's probably going to be super successful
nah, not quite. still this bullshit:

quote:

additional discounts in real time to customer orders when shoppers buy stuff that happens to be located in warehouses closer to them
retail product sitting in a warehouse is dead capital, the glorious future will eliminate that bit

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
ideally we'll eliminate the products and customers will just directly pay us to show them adverts for stuff

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
e: lol, reading further down that's part of the core of the idea

don't fix distribution headaches, just present them in a transparent manner and push all that onto the consumer

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

well the whole bit where third-party sellers will be the bulk of their inventory means they'll be fighting each other

if my experience selling on amazon marketplace is any indication undercutting any current price by 5% will lead to an immediate sale

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

JawnV6 posted:

dead capital

sounds good

quote:

, the glorious future will eliminate that bit

agreed, eliminate all capital

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

(Reuters) - Snapchat is looking to raise as much as $500 million in a new funding round that would value the mobile messaging company at up to $19 billion, Bloomberg reported on Tuesday, citing a person with knowledge of the matter.

the GDP of Honduras is $18.8 billion

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I can't wait for them to send literal garbage whenever someone forfeits the refund option

and when they don't actually implement this illegal thing because it was only investor storytime and mitt romney gets wet at the prospect of people paying for worthless things

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
for 19 billion dollars you could buy:

The marina bay sands in Singapore:

1 world trade center:

Bank of China tower in Hong Kong:

And you would still have more than the GDP of Rwanada left over.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

snapchat will pivot to blackmail once the kids get bored of it. it's the only way that thing is worth 20 billion

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FMguru posted:

i thought they got rid of even trying to audit complicated tax filings that rich people use (because rich people will fight it and also complain to their congressman) unless they were grossly out of band (like, laundering drug money kinds of wacky numbers)

I don't think I'd complain to a congressman, but that's basically what my ex-IRS tax predatoraccountant told me, yeah. beyond certain amounts they look for a few patterns that indicate gross fraud, and otherwise basically let it ride because it's a huge amount of work for what is likely to be a small change in payment if they win at all (and the person just plugging that hole in their tax strategy the next year).

I'm personally happy to pay basically any amount, I just hate the paperwork.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

they don't answer the same but they're still way underfunded. i remember reading that if congress gave them another couple hundred million dollars the IRS would probably be able to collect tens of billions of dollars more in revenue. but then this is the same country where some people are literally, sincerely opposed to any reform that makes it easier for people to pay their taxes, because they want to transfer the frustration of the process of paying taxes into anger and opposition against taxation in general

thats true. however if you let these people keep their money, then it will trickle down and stimulate the economy :downs:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

mishaq posted:

also we're happy having tubrotax/h&r block et al make billions of dollars off clueless people for simple and straightforward tax returns

is there not an easy way to file taxes online and people have to buy 3rd party software? where I live the government releases an e-tax program for free, it guides you through filling it out and submits it for you. reading about uber people buying and using turbo tax for like $90 a year makes me cringe inside.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Wild EEPROM posted:

The marina bay sands in Singapore:

this thing makes me feel uncomfortable when i see it irl

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Tokamak posted:

is there not an easy way to file taxes online and people have to buy 3rd party software? where I live the government releases an e-tax program for free, it guides you through filling it out and submits it for you. reading about uber people buying and using turbo tax for like $90 a year makes me cringe inside.

welcome to america, enjoy your stay

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
you can deduct your tax preparing expenses

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Tokamak posted:

:shepface:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tokamak posted:

there's a "federal free edition" of turbo tax but it ignores a bunch of stuff (most notably state deductions, although i think this year they included it for free)

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Beast of Bourbon posted:

you can deduct your tax preparing expenses

as if this really helps much

or as if most poor souls paying too much for turbotax are even able to itemize their deductions for that to even matter/help (unless they own a house)

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Citizen Tayne posted:

He went to FYAD and bagged on a YOSPOS poster who killed herself. shameful.

that boy aint right

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
are you guys really loving going to sit here clutching your pearls about the Internal Revenue Service instead of just saying "hey the tax system is skewed towards peopel that make enough that they can hire an accountant" and moving on to a far, far less boring topic like the VOC content of modern latex interior paint

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

computer parts posted:

there's a "federal free edition" of turbo tax but it ignores a bunch of stuff (most notably state deductions, although i think this year they included it for free)

how generous.

uncurable mlady posted:

welcome to america, enjoy your stay

after reading about how the military/government does payroll, I shouldn't have been surprised. that you are still mailing out checks to people instead of depositing directly into their bank accounts is amazing. may I be blessed to never have to live there.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Tokamak posted:

the tax prep industry spends tens of millions of dollars a year lobbying and bribing politicians to prevent exactly that sort of thing from coming about. if people could just do their own taxes without needing expensive third-party software or a professional tax expert, intuit wouldn't be able to charge people $90 a year for turbotax. tax prep companies have a vested interest in taxes being as complicated and byzantine as possible so that people are forced to buy their services, so they put a lot of money into fighting any attempt to simplify the system or make it accessible to the common man

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
has anyone gone so far as to disrupt the paint drying industry yet

maybe we can do distributed watchign paint dry as a service

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

for just $5/hour get access to unlimited paint drying cams. we got your enamel, latex, indoor, outdoor, wide range of colours, wide range of drying stages.

and extra 1$1 an hour will get you access to watch LEAD PAINT drying, maybe even some asbestos coatings

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

nice outdated business model scrub, everyone knows the real money is in recurring payments

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

bobbilljim posted:

has anyone gone so far as to disrupt the paint drying industry yet

maybe we can do distributed watchign paint dry as a service

roll in like

but with bitcoin rigs

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

theflyingexecutive posted:

nice outdated business model scrub, everyone knows the real money is in recurring payments

the most advanced payment model is $10 for a lifetime membership

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tokamak posted:

in some states, if you make under a certain amount a year, some of the benevolent tax preparer moguls will permit you to use a freebie webpage to do your taxes online. i think the max for oregon is like $46k or 48k or something like that.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

in some states, if you make under a certain amount a year, some of the benevolent burger joints will permit you to use a freebie webpage to place your burg orders online. i think the max for shake shack is like $46k or 48k or something like that.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

unless you've got some crazy complex tax situation, maryland's ifile site holds your hand enough for most people's tax needs there, it just asks you to have a finished federal return first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

look at these loving scrubs who live in a state with an income tax

• Locked thread