Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
I'm missing one loving book (so far as I remember) but its the PS Monstrous Compendium III, and theres no way I feel like paying 40-100 for a 30 page book I dont have an actual use for right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

FRINGE posted:

I'm missing one loving book (so far as I remember) but its the PS Monstrous Compendium III, and theres no way I feel like paying 40-100 for a 30 page book I dont have an actual use for right now.

It's also a candidate for the worst Planescape book.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

FRINGE posted:

Man. The 1e PHBs used to be like 2 bux. Now theyre all 15+ on Amazon.

You can get a "new" copy of the best PHB for only 70! http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Dungeons-Dragons-Players-Handbook/dp/0880387165/

Yeah. It's not rosy at all.

It's certainly a long way from the safe hills of 3.5 and Pathfinder.

It's only a small fortune that I found a race description for merfolk by googling old issues of dragon.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Yeah I want to try out DCC, along with a lot of OSR style games. Actually looking through DCC, do some characters get a 3rd attack at 10th level? Or is that 3rd Action Dice only meant to be used on other things?

Also did DCC ever gain any more classes than were in the core book?

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Ryuujin posted:

Yeah I want to try out DCC, along with a lot of OSR style games. Actually looking through DCC, do some characters get a 3rd attack at 10th level? Or is that 3rd Action Dice only meant to be used on other things?

Well, there is Transylvanian Adventures, sort of a DCC Ravenloft.
http://www.rpgnow.com/product/121110/Transylvanian-Adventures

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Ryuujin posted:

Yeah, they absolutely do. Level 10 characters are meant to be super-powerful. A sort of rule of thumb is that 1 level is equal to 2 in most OSR-type games.

There are some third party materials that present other classes. The fanzines Crawl!, Crawljammer, Metal Gods of Ur-Haddad, Crawling Under a Broken Moon, etc. Also books like Tales of the Fallen Empire and Transylvanian Adventures. Also, some people have made classes and put them on their blogs.

Noah Stevens has collected a list of DCC classes here: http://noahms456.blogspot.com/2013/04/a-plethora-of-alternate-classraces-for.html

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Looking at a review of Transylvanian Adventures it looks like the classes might be interesting, and one is like a AD&D Monk. Also that link of 3rd party classes has a Monk, wonder how different it is from the Exotic. Also Transylvanian Adventures has a half-breed. Kind of want to see the classes in it now, though it sounds like they have an armor class based on class, and possibly level, rather than armor. But that is because heroes in those kind of stories don't tend to wear armor.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Ryuujin posted:

Looking at a review of Transylvanian Adventures it looks like the classes might be interesting, and one is like a AD&D Monk. Also that link of 3rd party classes has a Monk, wonder how different it is from the Exotic. Also Transylvanian Adventures has a half-breed. Kind of want to see the classes in it now, though it sounds like they have an armor class based on class, and possibly level, rather than armor. But that is because heroes in those kind of stories don't tend to wear armor.

Well, it's on the way from Lulu (btw they have a 28% off printed books sale with the code BELULUS) so I'll let you know in like a week.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Ryuujin posted:

DCC probably has some of the healthiest 3rd Party support of any OSR game besides Labyrinth Lord and Swords & Wizardry

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

ConanThe3rd posted:

It's only a small fortune that I found a race description for merfolk by googling old issues of dragon.
There was a FR supplement that had a bunch of info on merfolk/aquatic elves/other sea things.

I think it was this? :

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Sea_of_Fallen_Stars_%28sourcebook%29

http://www.amazon.com/FALLEN-STARS-Advanced-Dungeons-Dragons/dp/0786913932

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

FRINGE posted:

There was a FR supplement that had a bunch of info on merfolk/aquatic elves/other sea things.

I think it was this? :

If he was playing BX/BECMI/RC era D&D or an OSR variant I'd recommend looking up the supplement they made back then for playing Aquatic races

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

If he was playing BX/BECMI/RC era D&D or an OSR variant I'd recommend looking up the supplement they made back then for playing Aquatic races

The Sea People.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FRINGE posted:

I think it was this? :

This is correct, but that supplement is meant for 2e, not 1e. It does contain rules for playing merfolk (page 80) but they specifically reference the Monstrous Manual. Probably not helpful in this case.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Lightning Lord posted:

The Sea People.

Yeah that's the one, I'm kinda surprised no one's cloned that and the other racial class books that were made for Classic D&D

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Arivia posted:

This is correct, but that supplement is meant for 2e, not 1e. It does contain rules for playing merfolk (page 80) but they specifically reference the Monstrous Manual. Probably not helpful in this case.
He said "race description" and I figured that would have some story/setting/ideas for how to play one. I always assume that whoever is running the game has already decided on the stats.

When I was flipping through related books I found this, just in case anyone wants to play a pegataur. http://www.amazon.com/Ballista-Creature-Crucible-Accessory-Dungeons/dp/0880387742/

I cant tell you how many times Ive said "Man, I wish I could play a pegataur!". :v:

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Hey man, Top Ballista is the best.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!
Dragon #250 also has writeups for merfolk and some other underwater races: crabmen, koalinths (hobgoblins), locathah, malenti (sahuagin mutants), pahari (Al-Qadim's merfolk equivalent), selkies, vodyanoi (umber hulks), and liminals (half-merfolk). Although, again, the article is intended for 2e and not 1e.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Lightning Lord posted:

Hey man, Top Ballista is the best.

As is Tall Tales of The Wee Folk, and Night Howlers, although it's a shame that Orcs of Thar isn't quite up to snuff

Also thinking about taking advantage of that Lulu sale, although I'm not sure whether to get Dark Dungeons or Labyrinth Lord

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Yeah I have wanted to try out the Treant, the Sea Giant, and the Troll. As well as something from Night Howlers. But never got the chance.

Hmm so pegatuars are basically pegasus centaurs.

Also Sphinxes are playable and they eventually get holy crazy damage and AC. Of course they only get up to level 3, and it takes 3 million xp to get to the point of a normal Sphinx. Hmm treants seemed so expensive xp wise, starting out much better than a fighter but then being many levels behind by the time they get to 10th level, but it looks like a sphinx costs more just to get to base 0 level than a treant to get to 10th level. Sea Giants are somewhere in between xp cost wise, do some crazy damage, have nearly as good AC as the Sphinx, but also cannot breathe out of water.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 16, 2015

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

FRINGE posted:

He said "race description" and I figured that would have some story/setting/ideas for how to play one. I always assume that whoever is running the game has already decided on the stats.

When I was flipping through related books I found this, just in case anyone wants to play a pegataur. http://www.amazon.com/Ballista-Creature-Crucible-Accessory-Dungeons/dp/0880387742/

I cant tell you how many times Ive said "Man, I wish I could play a pegataur!". :v:

Haha, who would want to play a fantastic creature in a fantasy game?

The book also contains rules for nagpas, so you can irritate your friends with skeksis impersonations all night!

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
I had never looked through that set of race/class books. If I ever have some used ones in front of my face I may grab them.

For monster-based games theres always "Monstrous Humanoids" from 2e for some extra ideas. It didnt go too far off the beaten path, but gives a good starting point for things that fall roughly between pixie and firbolg.

... And the last three super-focussed 2e monster books were pretty entertaining. "The Sea Devils" (Sahauguin), "The Illithiad" (Mind Flayers), and "I, Tyrant" (Beholders).

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

jigokuman posted:

Haha, who would want to play a fantastic creature in a fantasy game?

The book also contains rules for nagpas, so you can irritate your friends with skeksis impersonations all night!
I was just joking. At least in the sense that I had never said/typed the word "pegataur" until that post.

edit - I also didnt know what a Nagpa was. But luckily theres a visual aid!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXUX1kB3mpM

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ryuujin posted:

Yeah I have wanted to try out the Treant, the Sea Giant, and the Troll. As well as something from Night Howlers. But never got the chance.

Also Sphinxes are playable and they eventually get holy crazy damage and AC. Of course they only get up to level 3, and it takes 3 million xp to get to the point of a normal Sphinx. Hmm treants seemed so expensive xp wise, starting out much better than a fighter but then being many levels behind by the time they get to 10th level, but it looks like a sphinx costs more just to get to base 0 level than a treant to get to 10th level. Sea Giants are somewhere in between xp cost wise, do some crazy damage, have nearly as good AC as the Sphinx, but also cannot breathe out of water.
one idea I've had for a long time was to make new versions of those classes that would be better balanced for more standard games, probably by balancing them out to Rules Cyclopedia standards of 36 levels

FRINGE posted:

I had never looked through that set of race/class books. If I ever have some used ones in front of my face I may grab them.

For monster-based games theres always "Monstrous Humanoids" from 2e for some extra ideas. It didnt go too far off the beaten path, but gives a good starting point for things that fall roughly between pixie and firbolg.

... And the last three super-focussed 2e monster books were pretty entertaining. "The Sea Devils" (Sahauguin), "The Illithiad" (Mind Flayers), and "I, Tyrant" (Beholders).
Complete Book of Humanoids is a piece of garbage, with most of the races there being near unplayable due to terrible class and level limits

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

drrockso20 posted:

level limits
Ive never played a game with anyone ever that payed any attention to those.

My firbolg and his minotaur buddy were lots of (horribly over-powered for the campaign) fun. :colbert:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

FRINGE posted:

Ive never played a game with anyone ever that payed any attention to those.

My firbolg and his minotaur buddy were lots of (horribly over-powered for the campaign) fun. :colbert:

I'll admit I'm also a little bitter that a friend of mine who ran a 2E game ages ago wouldn't let me make a Gnoll/Flind character, he was going to be a Hyena-Man version of Gilgamesh too(also that game instilled a huge distaste for 2E for me)

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

drrockso20 posted:

I'll admit I'm also a little bitter that a friend of mine who ran a 2E game ages ago wouldn't let me make a Gnoll/Flind character, he was going to be a Hyena-Man version of Gilgamesh too(also that game instilled a huge distaste for 2E for me)
We always sorted out ahead of time "what kind" of game we would be doing. Sometimes it was "anything you come up with", and sometimes it was constrained by the initial setting/story. I played a gnoll fighter in a "mercenary party" game once and it was fun. OTOH there were games where the premise was "human politics" or "underground races" or whatever and then we did that.

I think too many games go wrong when the players/gms dont discuss things ahead of time. (Assuming youre playing with friends and not the theoretical games that people in various threads refer to where they are somehow playing with weirdos and strangers.) Its also easier to fit in something 'different' with some communal brainstorming, and that lets everyone in on the narrative.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

FRINGE posted:

We always sorted out ahead of time "what kind" of game we would be doing. Sometimes it was "anything you come up with", and sometimes it was constrained by the initial setting/story. I played a gnoll fighter in a "mercenary party" game once and it was fun. OTOH there were games where the premise was "human politics" or "underground races" or whatever and then we did that.

I think too many games go wrong when the players/gms dont discuss things ahead of time. (Assuming youre playing with friends and not the theoretical games that people in various threads refer to where they are somehow playing with weirdos and strangers.) Its also easier to fit in something 'different' with some communal brainstorming, and that lets everyone in on the narrative.

Doesn't help that while I consider said DM to be a friend, he could be a massive dick, in a 4E game he ran before that he went behind my back and started bitching about me and my character online in an incredibly petty, mean, and rude manner instead of talking to me about it

Also bit the bullet and bought a copy of Dark Dungeons off of Lulu with that discount code someone posted earlier

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

drrockso20 posted:

Doesn't help that while I consider said DM to be a friend, he could be a massive dick
Yeah theres no helping that. But its not 2es fault! :3:

The only time I played a game where the person running it was a loving sociopath was the only time I played Pathfinder. Didnt go back for a second game.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

FRINGE posted:

Yeah theres no helping that. But its not 2es fault! :3:

The only time I played a game where the person running it was a loving sociopath was the only time I played Pathfinder. Didnt go back for a second game.

Well it doesn't help that I find both versions of AD&D to be rather bland systems compared to the other TSR versions of the game

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FRINGE posted:

I'm interested in hearing this story.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

obeyasia posted:

I'm interested in hearing this story.
It was all social drama that involved other people. Since its mostly not 'my story' Ill just leave it at that.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Ryuujin posted:

I searched it on Google, expecting a Pegasus/Minotaur, and was left disappointed.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

LashLightning posted:

I searched it on Google, expecting a Pegasus/Minotaur, and was left disappointed.
Well that was silly. OBVIOUSLY that is the Minogasus.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

A long time ago I remember reading some retroclone that had Luck as a stat (as well as randomly rolling at chargen something for the character's lucky bonus), and fighters having something called a Gambit die that you could roll in order to pull cool poo poo off, it began as a d3 I think, and was actually also your attack bonus? I unfortunately can't remember the name of it, do any of you know what the name of it is?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

NachtSieger posted:

A long time ago I remember reading some retroclone that had Luck as a stat (as well as randomly rolling at chargen something for the character's lucky bonus), and fighters having something called a Gambit die that you could roll in order to pull cool poo poo off, it began as a d3 I think, and was actually also your attack bonus? I unfortunately can't remember the name of it, do any of you know what the name of it is?

That's actually Dungeon Crawl Classics.

There's a Luck stat that modifies a bunch of things like crits or spellcasting checks or fumbles, and the player can also "burn" their luck to gain a bonus to a life-or-death roll.

When the Warrior makes an attack roll, instead of adding a flat attack bonus to their d20, they roll a "deed die" which starts at d3 and goes as high as d10 and add that to the d20 attack roll instead. If the attack roll is a hit AND the deed die is a 3 or higher, they can declare a dramatic combat maneuver.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

NachtSieger posted:

That's Dungeon Crawl Classics.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

NachtSieger posted:

Dungeon Crawler Classics

EDIT: Beaten!

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

NachtSieger posted:

You might be thinking of Dungeon Crawl Classics - that game has an escalating fighter bonus die and when you roll a 3+ result on it you pull off a Mighty Deed.

--

I read up a bit on Torchbearer after the earlier suggestions in the thread - I liked a lot of what I'd read, but the main Burning Wheel/Mouseguard system isn't quite my thing.

I had started trying to think of ways to bring mechanics from Torchbearer into my own game, only to find that someone else had already done all the heavy lifting for me: http://www.necropraxis.com/2014/02/03/overloading-the-encounter-die/

Basically it turns the normal Random Encounter die into a Hazard Die which is rolled whenever the players move into a new area or spend some time doing an exploration activity, and it can include results like Wandering Monster, Exhaustion or one of your Light sources burning out.

I thought it looked like a pretty way to do the resource management game without having to track every single 10 minute interval of the players time and measure out the whole dungeon in terms of feet or yards or what have you.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DalaranJ posted:

That's Dungeon Crawl Classics.

Simian_Prime posted:

Dungeon Crawler Classics

Bob Quixote posted:

You might be thinking of Dungeon Crawl Classics

Roll better on initiative, guys :agesilaus:

Seriously though somebody should try running a PbP of it - we all seem to be fans enough of the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Roll better on initiative, guys :agesilaus:

Seriously though somebody should try running a PbP of it - we all seem to be fans enough of the game

I'd love to play it. It's the kind of game I feel more comfortable playing than GM'ing on my first go of it, though.

• Locked thread