Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Want to see something like what Ben Stiller did with Tom Cruise except with Tad and James Franco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

kik2dagroin posted:

https://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2015/02/16/give_boehner_credit_for_holding_firm
It's pretty cathartic to hear Republicans bitching about not being able to get a cloture vote in the Senate after the last 4 years.

Haha, literally "this isn't even really a shutdown and it's no big deal whatsoever" and "this shutdown is going to make us easy prey for derka derks and it's all the Democrats' fault" simultaneously.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Thor and Loki shenanigans are best shenanigans.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I wish I knew what sort of hellscape of pathos resides in the brain of someone who thinks "Take a picture of me looking like I'm doing something on my phone and not really caring about this photoshoot" is a cool thing to do.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"The DUMBocrats are blackmailing the Republicans by not voting for bills unless the Democrats like parts!!!"

"THE PEOPLE elected this Congress to stop Obama! We need to listen to THE PEOPLE who voted! That's why we're here! Not like that tyrant Obama!"

Two statements that are very, very laughable even within themselves IF you step outside the bubble for even a second. The problem is that many people never even set foot outside that bubble.

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007
MSU Will Not Be National Champions

So I really should learn to shut the hole under my nose.
This just in! Science has disproved Evolution according to the American Family Association!

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/sandy-rios-real-experts-know-evolution-has-been-disproven

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I'm surprised someone like Sandy Rios would even attempt a "Real Experts" turn since her and her set have pressed so hard on the gently caress ALL EXPERTS line.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Duke Igthorn posted:

Two statements that are very, very laughable even within themselves IF you step outside the bubble for even a second. The problem is that many people never even set foot outside that bubble.

Most people don't even know that there is a bubble and that they're in it.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

So did Greta Van Susteren have a stroke or a bad botox injection?

They keep advertising her on Fox Sports, and it looks like half her face doesn't move- like her upper lip can't move at all.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Shes been getting more and more that way over time.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

You can't make this poo poo up

quote:

WASHINGTON D.C. – Conservative activist and reality TV star Phil Robertson will be the second recipient of the annual Citizens United “Andrew Breitbart Defender of the First Amendment Award” at the 2015 Conservative Political Action Conference Breitbart News Network CEO Larry Solov and Executive Chairman Stephen K. Bannon along with Citizens United President David N. Bossie announced today.

“I want to thank Citizens United and Breitbart for this award. When one does not have the freedom to speak out loud and anywhere what one believes, freedom is dead,” said Phil Robertson, 2015 recipient of the Andrew Breitbart Defender of the First Amendment Award.

Solov said, “As both Andrew’s business partner and lifelong friend, I can definitively say that he would have been thrilled to give this award, that bares his name, to Phil Robertson for his unflinching conviction in the face of an adversarial media. In fact, I’m fairly certain Andrew would have grown a beard for the award presentation.”

The “Andrew Breitbart Defender of the First Amendment Award will be presented to Phil Roberston in the main ballroom at the 2015 Conservative Political Action Conference in National Harbor, MD on Friday, February 27th at 12:40 p.m. At last year’s CPAC, conservative talk radio host Mark Levin accepted the inaugural award before a standing-room only audience saying, “The symptoms of tyranny, such as these brazen attacks on free speech, have threatened republics throughout time. We must speak out.”

“We are am honored to partner with Citizens United in presenting this award in Andrew’s name to Phil Roberston,” said Stephen K. Bannon. “Phil and his family have been that breath of fresh air Hollywood desperately needed. They are taking their faith and conservative politics mainstream. Phil has the guts to do and say what most politicians in Washington won’t: You must adhere to your conservative beliefs, all of them, and never surrender or compromise them for anyone. We are proud supporters of the Robertsons.”

“Robertson personifies the importance of holding tight to that which gives our lives meaning. For Phil Robertson, that includes his family, the Lord above, and of course creating havoc in the Louisiana countryside. We are honored to have him at this year’s CPAC.” Said Chairman Matt Schlapp, American Conservative Union.

“Who would have thought that a show about family, guns, and God could become one of the most popular in cable history?” Breitbart News Editor-in-Chief Alex Marlow asked rhetorically. “Andrew Breitbart did, actually. He believed that there is a huge market for entertainment focused on American and Judeo-Christian values. The success of ‘Duck Dynasty’ vindicates him, so it’s fitting that Mr. Robertson is the recipient of this year’s Breitbart award.”

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
"for his unflinching conviction in the face of an adversarial media". Wow, what a loving Martyr.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Doctor Butts posted:

They keep advertising her on Fox Sports, and it looks like half her face doesn't move- like her upper lip can't move at all.

Too many thetans.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
For your quality duck calls and high income.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Doctor Butts posted:

She had some work done in between leaving CNN and joining Fox News. She had the TMJ thing back then as well though.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

bpower posted:

"for his unflinching conviction in the face of an adversarial media". Wow, what a loving Martyr.

Much more deserving of a freedom of speech award than literally any outspoken critic of authoritative governments in literally any authoritative state.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Much more deserving of a freedom of speech award than literally any outspoken critic of authoritative governments in literally any authoritative state.

Its easy to be heard when you are a millionaire.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Look he put a lot on the line by saying what he did such as:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Conservatives lionize the most ridicolous goddamn people. Alzheimers-ridden former actor who traded guns to Islamists to pay for death squads. A less-then one-term governor who honestly can't string a drat sentence together to a degree that she is starting to seem mentally unbalanced or on drugs. A pill-popping obese hatemachine who yells at a microphone for a living.

This seems pretty regular.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 18, 2015

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

"Judeo-Christian"

Funny, Every Jewish person I've met wants nothing to do with the Evangelical movement in any sort of way. To group them together with Phil Robertson is actually pretty offensive.

I remember the very moment I refused to accept those type of individuals as "Followers of Christ". I saw people praying for that guy during Christmas over people that were starving, and the poor.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

bpower posted:

You say this sarcastically, but this is literally word-for-word what they believe. Victimization narratives are Conservatism 101 material.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
What does Greta rant about these days now that our brave marine who got caught red handed trying to smuggle guns into Mexico has been freed?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
the annual Citizens United “Andrew Breitbart Sidewalks are Deadly Business When You're a Cokehead Award”

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 18, 2015

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Hazo posted:

Given how thoroughly a gang of utterly incompetent but highly-credentialed boobs have wrecked the country over the past six years

What, exactly, are they talking about when they insist Obama has "wrecked the country over the past six years," anyway?? Even if it's just something that's entirely imaginary; they keep saying this, but they never bother to explain it, like it's just patently obvious or something.

Is there anything more to it than "President's skin too dark = entire country destroyed"?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Deep Hurting posted:

What, exactly, are they talking about when they insist Obama has "wrecked the country over the past six years," anyway?? Even if it's just something that's entirely imaginary; they keep saying this, but they never bother to explain it, like it's just patently obvious or something.

Is there anything more to it than "President's skin too dark = entire country destroyed"?

Not really, no.

People are usually dissatisfied with the government. They are amplifying that age-old fact using people's discomfort with the president's ethnicity and the ethnicities of the electoral coalition that put him in office.

That and trying to get people to pin Bush-era poo poo on Obama through sheer force of repetition and short memories.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Goatman Sacks posted:

What does Greta rant about these days now that our brave marine who got caught red handed trying to smuggle guns into Mexico has been freed?

IDK but I for some reason I caught a bit of O'Reilly tonight and he literally called on every jewish/christian/muslim religious leader in the country to promote war against ISIS at their place of worship this week :psyduck:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

lol In your face, losers!

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Deep Hurting posted:

I've had some students parrot that in class (high school). One I asked that very question, and the best he could do was "Obama's selling all our debt to the Chinese!" He just looked confused when I told him that the Chinese only had around 11% or our debt, most of it was owned by either the government itself or American individuals or companies, that Obama had nothing personally to do with who buys the debt, and that foreigners buying our debt was something that had gone on for decades before he was elected. He gets his info from Grandpa, a fine specimen who apparently amuses himself shooting squirrels in his backyard.

Another spouted that line and had no comeback when told that unemployment was down, the stock market was setting record highs regularly, corporate profits were higher than ever, and the wealthiest people had more money than any time since the 20's. They really don't have any info beyond "Obama bad! Ruin 'Merica!" And it's not hard to figure out where they get it.

*Cough*Fox News*Cough* (directly or through parents/grandpa)

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

I was convinced Obama was completely evil and a deranged leftist back in 2008-2012ish. It was a combination of a talk radio/right wing blogosphere/conservative family echo chamber that went away bit by bit as I got through more of my degree and finally went away entirely when I started studying world systems theory and political economies at university. So if my experience is typical it's basically an echo chamber thing and the kids who go to college will probably change their views if they have any ability to critically think. That's why Republican states are trying so loving hard to eliminate logic and other critical thinking related courses from high schools.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Young black men were essentially slandered and libeled against all year, and three muslim Americans were slain execution style, but it is Phil Robertson who has faced adversity and prejudice in America.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

KiteAuraan posted:

That's why Republican states are trying so loving hard to eliminate logic and other critical thinking related courses from high schools.

This is irrational and dangerous thinking. Absolutely no Republican would believe at any level they're eliminating logic and other critical thinking related courses from high schools to support the party. Hell, most probably wouldn't even support eliminating those.

Cue people posting that one example a year back of a single house representative proposing that and the bill never leaving committee.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Beamed posted:

This is irrational and dangerous thinking. Absolutely no Republican would believe at any level they're eliminating logic and other critical thinking related courses from high schools to support the party. Hell, most probably wouldn't even support eliminating those.

Cue people posting that one example a year back of a single house representative proposing that and the bill never leaving committee.

Whether or not they believe they are doing so is irrelevant to the question of whether or not that would be the end result of their attempts to shape the educational process. I mean, come on, while saying out of one side of their mouth that public school is a liberal indoctrination center, right-wing groups have repeatedly attempted to push revisionist history, open the doors for Christian Creationism to be taught as either fact or a "competing theory" in biology courses, and denigrated humanities education as unnecessary or elitist. The end result of this is actual indoctrination and a reduction of the ability of schools to teach logic and critical thinking.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Beamed posted:

An Oklahoma House education committee voted literally yesterday to effectively ban AP US History from public schools because it promotes a "negative view of American history" (surprise! the vote went along party lines). The RNC has publicly criticized the coursework along the same lines, and other states have tried things similar to Oklahoma in recent years.

It doesn't have to be a mustache-twirling villain counting the extra votes that come in when APUSH gets defunded for conservative ideology to be responsible. They may not articulate "yes, we are doing this because it will get us more votes", but why the hell would they say that? These people do sincerely believe that too much education is a bad thing, and are reflexively suspicious of educators and non-utilitarian knowledge. I mean, if you really don't think anti-intellectualism is deeply-ingrained in American conservative politics, I don't know how you can explain their rhetoric dating back to, uh, Nixon, I guess?

edit: Beaten, I guess.

edit 2: I would add that we should avoid using the term "revisionist" to describe what sort of history the Right wants to push, as it's a clumsy and inarticulate word. Virtually any good history is "revisionist" as it challenges previous assumptions and accepted narratives about the past. That's been the case since the 1950s or so in academic history. For whatever reason it's taken on a negative connotation (at some point the term was associated with Holocaust denial, and still is to a certain degree), and we should avoid throwing the word right back at the Right when they criticize the field. Their history is oversimplified, self-serving, and unsupported by evidence, call it that.

Cognac McCarthy fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Feb 18, 2015

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Geraldo said a thing:

quote:

"Hip-hop has done more damage to black and brown people than racism in the last 10 years," Rivera began. The Fox News contributor then challenged anyone to find "a youngster -- a Puerto Rican from the South Bronx or a black kid from Harlem who has succeeded in life other than being the one-tenth of one-tenth of one percent that make it in the music business -- that's been a success in life walking around with his pants around his rear end and with visible tattoos..."

I'm sure Eric Garner will be relieved to hear it.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Majorian posted:

Geraldo said a thing:

So according to Geraldo if you are a minority in the Bronx your only success levels are poverty or rapper?

Guess that keeps the high school career fairs pretty simple.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
He must have a book coming out soon, as saying nutball poo poo like this is the only way to get headlines for it for most conservative pundits.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Majorian posted:

Geraldo said a thing:

The most amazing discovery in decades will be that a specific form of music proves a far greater determinant of success in a person's life than economics, environment, history, or prejudice.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Beamed posted:

Dogg, Texas Legislators literally said they wanted to do away with "higher order thinking skills" (or HOTS. :laugh: )

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Majorian posted:

Geraldo said a thing:

Negroid jazz music seducing America's youth!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Pander posted:

The most amazing discovery in decades will be that a specific form of music proves a far greater determinant of success in a person's life than economics, environment, history, or prejudice.

Never mind the fact that you don't have to be of a certain demographic to like rap, hip-hop, or any other form of music, really.