Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

teraflame posted:

Is there a good scanner app that can handle large files?

I use Scanbot and it handles like 30-page PDFs no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I got a response back from the Outlook support people saying they had identified a bug in their IMAP support and are trying to fix it.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

teraflame posted:

Scannable is fantastic. Even better if you already use Evernote a lot.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

teraflame posted:

Scanner Pro can do multi-page scans. I've never had occasion to do more than 15 color pages, so I'm not sure what the upper limit is.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

benisntfunny posted:

And thus you will be forever a poor.

Needing to check email outside of 9-5 is some wage slave crap, and you have my pity.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ZShakespeare posted:

Needing to check email outside of 9-5 is some wage slave crap, and you have my pity.

:iamafag:

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
I always thought checking your email after work meant you were important, that's what I have been telling myself at least.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Porkchop Express posted:

I always thought checking your email after work meant you were important, that's what I have been telling myself at least.

Nope wage slave. If you try to plan your day, before you're on the clock? Wage slave. Think about that network architecture project during a shower? You fool, you're just giving away your time.

You need to wake up and realize all companies are trying to gently caress you over and putting forth any effort whatsoever makes you a sucker. Promotions and raises are for pussies.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So I'm just recently getting into listening to podcasts a lot at work. Does the iOS8 stock app (which I've been using so far) do push notifications when new episodes become available? I want to see them in my Notification Center, and I haven't seen that feature so far, if it's a feature of that app at all. If not, is there an app that does that? I'm fine with paying a few bucks for one.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

So I'm just recently getting into listening to podcasts a lot at work. Does the iOS8 stock app (which I've been using so far) do push notifications when new episodes become available? I want to see them in my Notification Center, and I haven't seen that feature so far, if it's a feature of that app at all. If not, is there an app that does that? I'm fine with paying a few bucks for one.

Pocket Casts
Overcast
Downcast

Take your pick, they're all good and have their one strong point over others.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Pocket Casts
Overcast
Downcast

Take your pick, they're all good and have their one strong point over others.
Awesome, thanks. I downloaded Overcast because it has a free version with features you can unlock later via an in-app purchase if you need to (but honestly, none of them sounded like features I'd really need).

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Awesome, thanks. I downloaded Overcast because it has a free version with features you can unlock later via an in-app purchase if you need to (but honestly, none of them sounded like features I'd really need).

Those features are really Overcast's bread and butter. I can't really live without smart speed and voice boost on the majority of my podcasts now.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

flosofl posted:

Nope wage slave. If you try to plan your day, before you're on the clock? Wage slave. Think about that network architecture project during a shower? You fool, you're just giving away your time.

You need to wake up and realize all companies are trying to gently caress you over and putting forth any effort whatsoever makes you a sucker. Promotions and raises are for pussies.

Is your union accepting new members???

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ummm so I got Overcast and 2 new episodes have come out for the podcasts I'm subscribed to, but I didn't get push notifications about them despite push notifications being enabled for all of those podcasts (I checked each one and it was enabled on all of them. I guess they get enabled by default because I didn't do that myself.) I only found them because I opened the app, it found new episodes and started downloading them.

Is the app broken? Should I download a different podcast app that actually has working push notifications?

Kempy
Dec 15, 2009

Hey guys, I'm just wondering are there any apps that can stream video from my pc to my phone over wifi? I hate pausing my shows when I go out front for a smoke break.

Cheers

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Ummm so I got Overcast and 2 new episodes have come out for the podcasts I'm subscribed to, but I didn't get push notifications about them despite push notifications being enabled for all of those podcasts (I checked each one and it was enabled on all of them. I guess they get enabled by default because I didn't do that myself.) I only found them because I opened the app, it found new episodes and started downloading them.

Is the app broken? Should I download a different podcast app that actually has working push notifications?

Current overcast version has a host of sync bugs. This might be one of them. Reportedly fixed in version that is currently sitting in App Store Review Hell.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Kempy posted:

Hey guys, I'm just wondering are there any apps that can stream video from my pc to my phone over wifi? I hate pausing my shows when I go out front for a smoke break.

Cheers

Plex.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CaptainPsyko posted:

Current overcast version has a host of sync bugs. This might be one of them. Reportedly fixed in version that is currently sitting in App Store Review Hell.
Ah, okay. Thanks. It actually gave me push notifications about 2 new episodes that came out today but didn't download either of those automatically. The ones I posted about, those downloaded automatically but I didn't get any notifcations about them.

I guess I could just wait until the new version comes out. Or is there a different podcast app you guys use that's more stable? Since this ain't exactly the best first impression.

Kempy
Dec 15, 2009

That looks like quite the app, but at $6.50 I'm wondering if anybody knows any free alternatives?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Kempy posted:

That looks like quite the app, but at $6.50 I'm wondering if anybody knows any free alternatives?

None that work well.

Plex actually works. Use Plex.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Kempy posted:

AcePlayer and a bunch of other apps here and there will do if you set up your PC to have shared folders through samba, or you can run a upnp server on your pc.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

I guess I could just wait until the new version comes out. Or is there a different podcast app you guys use that's more stable? Since this ain't exactly the best first impression.

Downcast is my second favourite podcast app, after Overcast. It doesn't have true 'push', however, just periodic checking.

If you feel like being patient, wait until Overcast's new version comes out with the fixes. Since the app launched last year this is the only version I've had any real problem with, and its been updated nine times since launch. I think you got stuck with bad timing. That doesn't mean the new version will be perfect but it's supposed to fix the new issues.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Kempy use google chrome Remote Desktop. lol plex

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

AirVideo is real good.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
The benefit to using Plex is that it's fairly universally supported. I can use a Plex client on my PS3, for example.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I use Plex on my Apple TV and when I have to take a poo poo, I can open Plex up on my phone and resume from where I paused.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!
I use Plex on my smart TV, my Chromecast, my iPhone, iPad, and my gf's Macbook. It's a good program.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Plex is good on my Roku, but it's also free. I don't think it should be a paid app on some platforms and free on others, just make it a free app for streaming and make the desktop library client a paid program.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hey OneNote nerds like me, some good news for an upcoming release:

!!

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
The dude wanted a quick free solution for going out to have a smoke but don't let that stop y'all from suggesting an 8$ app at every waking opportunity.

At least they're better posts than the chat app shaming we just did.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I like how the price of Plex is never the same in this thread. Plex is $4.99.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Kempy posted:

Check out Air Playit - it's free, and does this. It's not as robust as Plex though :smug:

Bottom Liner posted:

Plex is good on my Roku, but it's also free. I don't think it should be a paid app on some platforms and free on others, just make it a free app for streaming and make the desktop library client a paid program.

Totally agree - the desktop library server is the main thing for me. Start watching a show in the living room, continue watching it on my deck while I smoke a cigar, finish it the next day at lunch.

Although you could also say that the subscription does this - get the sub, and the apps are free everywhere.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

Hey OneNote nerds like me, some good news for an upcoming release:

!!

Yeah, I got a mysterious email about that this morning and I wanted to congratulate you on your successful campaign. GJ

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

tuyop posted:

Yeah, I got a mysterious email about that this morning and I wanted to congratulate you on your successful campaign. GJ

Well, my contribution to the campaign was to suggest that Microsoft implement Wacom's drivers so I could use my fancy bluetooth pen, but at this point I'm happy I get to use ANY pen :)

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
I can only hope this means eventual support on OSX's onenote as well — doing quick diagrams with my wacom and excel is about the only reason I have a VM of Windows on my workstation anymore.

Taxes
Jan 26, 2010

From here, it's possible.
Anyone know of a good timer and stopwatch widget? Good stopwatch widget alone could work too.

Kempy
Dec 15, 2009

noirstronaut posted:

I like how the price of Plex is never the same in this thread. Plex is $4.99.

$6.50 in the land of Australia.

porktree posted:

Check out Air Playit - it's free, and does this. It's not as robust as Plex though :smug:

Thanks for the suggestion, and the other ones too! Will check them out and find my favourite.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Taxes posted:

Anyone know of a good timer and stopwatch widget? Good stopwatch widget alone could work too.
Queue 30 replies about the Clock App. ( and they wouldn't be wrong...) but what do you need it to do that the stock clock app doesn't?

Taxes
Jan 26, 2010

From here, it's possible.

Feenix posted:

Queue 30 replies about the Clock App. ( and they wouldn't be wrong...) but what do you need it to do that the stock clock app doesn't?

The stopwatch on the stock app is fine, I just want to be able to swipe down and start a stopwatch and/or timer without exiting whatever I am doing.

Unless the stock clock app has a widget and I just missed it, then that would be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Taxes posted:

The stopwatch on the stock app is fine, I just want to be able to swipe down and start a stopwatch and/or timer without exiting whatever I am doing.

Unless the stock clock app has a widget and I just missed it, then that would be good.
Stock clock doesn't have a widget but it's accessible from the control centre thing if that helps at all.