Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Star Ocean 4 wasn't very popular. It was extremely hyped and was supposed to be one of the first big next-gen RPGs but it got a bad reception. There's a reason the Star Ocean franchise hasn't continued and why Mitsuo Iwao hasn't done jack and poo poo since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Pft, people can stuff their popularity. I played Star Ocean: Till the End of Time precisely because it was so beloved and based on the recommendation of people who said it was great and I believed them.

SO3 was the worst RPG I've ever played.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

NikkolasKing posted:

Pft, people can stuff their popularity. I played Star Ocean: Till the End of Time precisely because it was so beloved and based on the recommendation of people who said it was great and I believed them.

SO3 was the worst RPG I've ever played.

SO3 was pretty bad but this seems unlikely.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

fronz posted:

Not everyone has played Unlimited SaGa and not everyone has played Eternal Sonata. It can be hard to remember that sometimes when the scars run so deep.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

fronz posted:

This is every RPG I've played that I can recall:
Final Fantasy II, IV, VI (something like 30-40% of it), VII, VIII, IX, X, X=2. XII, XIII, (the first hour or two of) XIII-2
Chrono Trigger
Chrono Cross
Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain (I have seen it listed as an RPG, I dunno)
Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean
Mass Effect 1-3
Knights of the Old Republic I and II
Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age II
Xenogears
Xenosaga I-3
About an hour or two of Infinite Undiscovery

I guess FFXIII-2 and IU might be worse since I abandoned ship after a couple hours and deciding I didn't give a poo poo about what was going on but apart from that...yueah, I can't recall a game ever pissing me off as much as SO3.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

The White Dragon posted:

Not everyone has played Unlimited SaGa and not everyone has played Eternal Sonata. It can be hard to remember that sometimes when the scars run so deep.

Lunar Dragon Song, look it up

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the worst rpg is your favorite rpg :twisted:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
If anyone's favorite is SO3, that's certainly true.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
every rpg is the worst rpg in the genre

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

How Rude posted:

Lunar Dragon Song, look it up

Admittedly I never played that much of it, but what I did play was poorly-designed but not offensively, "shut this poo poo off immediately" bad like Eternal Sonata was. It might've been a chore to play, which is why I never got past the first few hours, but I think "boring, kinda crappy game" is better than ":barf:"

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

OK, I know I'm years late to the party here, and I bet if I browsed all 1,000 pages of this thread I'd find this topic beaten to death. That said, I just got around to getting FF13 in a sale recently and what the hell is this freaking upgrade system? Who designed this, and why do they hate RPGs? Do they not understand the simple pleasure of loot weapon > equip weapon > see bigger numbers? That's like, one of the foundational building blocks of RPGs right there. I don't want to read a 57 page guide on which weapons to plan for end game depending on my team composition and paradigm plans, and how many stacks of donkey whiskers I need to put in my weapon before I start pumping lug nuts into it to max out my XP. But I started a bit of leveling with the weapons I had when it first unlocked the upgrade option, and then I started getting new weapons that might be better, although I'm not sure because they're not upgraded. And now I've just stopped upgrading entirely because I don't want to paint myself into a corner 30 hours down the line when I find out I maxed out sword A when I should have done sword B. Ugh. Just, what the hell?

Is there a really simple guide anywhere for what to upgrade? Like, forget about min-maxing party composition and so on, if I just want to get through the game without hosing myself, can I just pick a weapon and go for it, or does this actually require a guide? It's really a stain on what has otherwise been a decent enough game. I'm not really finding myself hating the story or the characters or whatever else people seem to despise about 13 (well, at least 15 hours in I'm not, maybe it gets bad later). Although it is vaguely disconcerting to play a FF game that doesn't have any of the iconic musical themes in it (at least so far?). But maybe that's just my inexperience with not seriously playing one of these since FF7. :v:

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The upgrades don't really matter I think

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Admittedly I never played that much of it, but what I did play was poorly-designed but not offensively, "shut this poo poo off immediately" bad like Eternal Sonata was. It might've been a chore to play, which is why I never got past the first few hours, but I think "boring, kinda crappy game" is better than ":barf:"

The game legitimately gets worse and worse the further it gets. It isn't just bad, it is absurdly bad. It isn't just "boring, kinda crappy." it is straight-up awful game design from start to finish.

BobTheJanitor posted:

Is there a really simple guide anywhere for what to upgrade?

It really isn't complex.

There are multiple tier-1 weapons. Each weapon specializes in something. Upgrading the weapon makes it better at what it does. Find a tier-1 weapon you like and upgrade it. All tier-1 weapons are basically the same, they just offer different specializations. (Some specializations are better than others but eh.)

There are ways to minmax upgrading but it just basically boils down to "get a big multipier with lovely items, give it high-point items."

Seriously. Do not stress out about it. You're not going to paint yourself in a corner. Final Fantasy games are not particularly hard and FFXIII is a lot more reliant on your abilities than your weapon stats.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Feb 18, 2015

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Lunar Dragon Song is one of those games that achieve the reverse sort of greatness, where they make so many bafflingly awful design decisions you can't help but wonder what the hell.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Squallege posted:

Want those Nier songs. Throw in some Drakengard too!

Growing Wings and This Silence is Mine. With playable Caim muder-machine.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
Much love for the mention of Unlimited SaGa. Even as a giant SaGa nerd, I won't begin to defend that game. Hamauzu's soundtrack was the only good thing to come out of it.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Wow, FFXIII-2 starts off way better (and faster!) than FFXIII. The intro was pretty fun until I was able to change my Moogle's outfit to make him look straight out of the Matrix. Then it was fantastic.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
What is it about Unlimited SaGa that makes it suck so much? Is it dreadfully boring/infuriating and the story blows to boot? I've never played it before but have played other games in the series.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
“Unlimited Saga does not play dice with the universe; it plays an ineffable game of its own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players [i.e. everybody], to being involved in an obscure and complex variant of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.”

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

MonsieurChoc posted:

“Unlimited Saga does not play dice with the universe; it plays an ineffable game of its own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players [i.e. everybody], to being involved in an obscure and complex variant of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.”

This sums it up perfectly. It if had any one of the many problems it had alone, it might be a good game, but all of the problems combine make it practically unplayable. I think the worst of all from a gameplay standpoint was changing the way LP works; you just sort of randomly lose it sometimes for no reason, and also in the normal way of being brought to zero HP, but then also your HP is fine and no one cares...?

gently caress this game, basically.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

MonsieurChoc posted:

Growing Wings and This Silence is Mine. With playable Caim muder-machine.

That's what I'm talking about!

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

It really isn't complex.

There are multiple tier-1 weapons. Each weapon specializes in something. Upgrading the weapon makes it better at what it does. Find a tier-1 weapon you like and upgrade it. All tier-1 weapons are basically the same, they just offer different specializations. (Some specializations are better than others but eh.)

Maybe it's not wildly complex, but compared to finding a weapon with bigger numbers and equipping it, it's definitely more complex. And I don't really mind intricate systems in my games, but I don't like playing in the dark and that nagging feeling that if I'd only waited another hour I'd have found a better knife-gun and now I've wasted a pile of upgrades. It's almost a viable system, too. If they would have just given you one weapon to stick with forever, and you can just upgrade that down various (visible ahead of time) paths, that would be cool. Then you can make a plan and watch it come together. Like, either stick with the tried-and-true loot system, or invent something better, but not this hybrid mess.

That said, if I can just pile upgrades into the starter gear and call it good, that's fine. The best bad system is one you can ignore.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The other thing is that it's not particularly feasible to farm either drops or money (with which to buy upgrade items) until you're relatively late in the game, so for an awful lot of the game you'll typically just be running around with non-upgraded gear.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

i just upgraded whatever at random in ff13 and I managed to get through the game just fine. If you're doing endgame side-quest it might become more relevant.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Twelve by Pies posted:

Is there any way to see how much experience a party member has and how much they require to get to the next level in FFX-2 without actually getting in a battle and winning/running away? I've picked every menu option I can think to and don't see it anywhere.

Bottom left of equip screen, I think of status and ability screen as well. Shows EXP and Next as text.

Kanfy posted:

If you're posting in this thread and don't own Curtain Call, something has gone horribly wrong in your life.

Yes, it's called 'not owning a 3DS nor wanting to buy one for one game'

Although I hear MH is p good plus there's some Zelda games and stuff auuuuuuuugh I already have a huge backlog dammit

Why can't they put theatrythymymymym out for vita?

BobTheJanitor posted:

Maybe it's not wildly complex, but compared to finding a weapon with bigger numbers and equipping it, it's definitely more complex. And I don't really mind intricate systems in my games, but I don't like playing in the dark and that nagging feeling that if I'd only waited another hour I'd have found a better knife-gun and now I've wasted a pile of upgrades. It's almost a viable system, too. If they would have just given you one weapon to stick with forever, and you can just upgrade that down various (visible ahead of time) paths, that would be cool. Then you can make a plan and watch it come together. Like, either stick with the tried-and-true loot system, or invent something better, but not this hybrid mess.

That said, if I can just pile upgrades into the starter gear and call it good, that's fine. The best bad system is one you can ignore.

The real answer is to ignore it unless and until you decide to fight challenge bosses. By then you'll have unlocked the best places to grind stuff as well as the vast majority of possible base weapons and you can pick the one that works best with your style and go to town. There is a mathematically best weapon, although I forget what it is. I'm sure there's a 5 line guide that takes you through the relatively short list of steps to get it. E: best for each char, that is.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Here's the preview for the newest Theatrythm songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-WqwhNarJuk

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Although I hear MH is p good plus there's some Zelda games and stuff auuuuuuuugh I already have a huge backlog dammit

Why can't they put theatrythymymymym out for vita?

There are plenty of good games on the 3DS alongside Curtain Call, and the improved New version came out like a few days ago or somesuch. It's a pretty good time to get one.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

nuru posted:

So I don't have to assume SO3 meant SO1/2 existed inside a terribly managed MMO?

Hey at least it gets rid of the weird question of who the Ten Wise Men would've been in terms of an MMO.

NikkolasKing posted:

I guess FFXIII-2 and IU might be worse since I abandoned ship after a couple hours and deciding I didn't give a poo poo about what was going on but apart from that...yueah, I can't recall a game ever pissing me off as much as SO3.

SO3 isn't terrible but it comes off as worse if you played the first two SO games, which I had. They completely hosed up the awesome talent/skill systems and item creation stuff that 1 and 2 had. Outside of that though the game isn't too bad, the combat is fine and the story is alright. The plot twist is dumb but it doesn't make the game unplayable or anything.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wasn't the plot twist of so3 also the plot twist of digital devil saga

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Endorph posted:

wasn't the plot twist of so3 also the plot twist of digital devil saga

Sort of, but it wasn't the main plot twist in Digital Devil Saga and it wasn't an MMO the characters were in either.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ragequit posted:

Wow, FFXIII-2 starts off way better (and faster!) than FFXIII. The intro was pretty fun until I was able to change my Moogle's outfit to make him look straight out of the Matrix. Then it was fantastic.

This was literally my exact reaction to it as well except my Mog is a fasionista. I don't think I'm very far in but everything about it is just done way better then 13.

I can have a Chocobo with a cute little Carbuncle doll riding it in battle :3

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I try not to be one of them "you have to buy this omg" type people bc those people are insufferable, but the 3DS has a huge game library so I feel like you will find a lot more then just Threatrythm or Zelda to play.

That being said, the guy you responded to is being very presumptuous, I don't like Rythum games, as I have none.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Ragequit posted:

Any game that lets me change the future by yelling into the past at Hope really loudly is awesome by default.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

forbidden lesbian posted:

This was literally my exact reaction to it as well except my Mog is a fasionista. I don't think I'm very far in but everything about it is just done way better then 13.

That's exactly the one I use. The outfit that gives Mog kickin rad sunglasses.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

I try not to be one of them "you have to buy this omg" type people bc those people are insufferable, but the 3DS has a huge game library so I feel like you will find a lot more then just Threatrythm or Zelda to play.

Yeah I mean, if you're in this thread, there's a good chance Bravely Default would appeal to you. I didn't finish it but it was enjoyable while I was making my way through in an old-school FF5 way.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

You should play it as a low level challenge or else the difficulty will drop off pretty quick unforch. You can still fight, just don't level up unless you're getting into trouble in battles.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Evil Fluffy posted:

^^^^ Still doesn't make SO4 any less of a franchise-killing clusterfuck of a game. (it's hugely popular in Japan, isn't it? :ohdear:)

A vast Ocean of Star Citizens.

The game didn't kill the series so much as Square-Enix's development troubles and financial problems ended Tri-Ace's aspirations for creating original games. Tri-Ace doesn't own their IPs which limits their ability to get royalties or create merchandising for the games they develop for longterm revenue. They're reliant on publishers like Square-Enix, Konami, and SEGA to fund the studio. There's no Star Ocean game without Square-Enix footing the bill. That's how it is for independent Japanese developers unless you want to take the risk of publishing your own games like Level 5. When the big Japanese publishers ran into problems or didn't want to greenlight HD JRPGs, this meant Tri-Ace had to work as contractors on games such as as the FFXIII sequels or Phantasy Star.

Tri-Ace is in a awkward position in that they specialize in cutting edge graphics and JRPGs. However, the publishers who have the money to pay for such games either have in-house teams that can make JRPGs or no longer willing to spend resources to spare on risky HD JRPGs. I think Monolith Soft would have faced similar struggles as a Namco-Bandai subsidiary if they were not acquired by Nintendo

NikkolasKing posted:

Wasn't the 360 getting all the JRPG exclusives there for a few years? It was when SO4 came out. I'm not saying any of them were any good but there was Blue Dragon, Infinite Undiscovery, Tales of Vespereia, Lost Odyssey.... Probably others. Enchanted Arms was another one wasn't it?

Point is, SO4 was not a solitary title for JRPG fans to desperately grab onto. Unless it was the PS3 fans who grabbed onto the international version.

Microsoft paid many Japanese publishers and developers to create games for the 360. Many of these publishers were struggling to staff up and create a strong production pipeline for HD titles. This meant that Microsoft's support was a God send since it helped them mitigate the risks of of developing for HD systems. If Microsoft wasn't heavily investing in Japanese publishers, chances are that many publishers would have retreated deeper into handhelds and mobile devices than they already have. It probably ended up helping the PS3 in Japan more than it ever helped the Xbox 360.

It seems all for naught since the JRPG userbase has collapsed on home consoles in the Japanese market. In Japan, The PS2 had 23 million+ sellers and 7 of them were JRPGs. The PS3 had only two games that sold over a million copies (FFXIII was the only JRPG). Currently, the best selling game on PS4 is Knack with 400K copies followed by Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes with 170K copies. Will FFXV sell over a million copies in Japan? It'll probably be a struggle with the way the series and the market is trending in the Japanese console industry.

Sunning fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 18, 2015

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwtASYeer8Y

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
By the way Opoona is much better scifi than Star Ocean, or indeed any other videogame ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Sunning posted:

the Japanese market. In Japan, The PS2 had 23 million+ sellers and 7 of them were JRPGs. The PS3 had only two games that sold over a million copies (FFXIII was the only JRPG). Currently, the best selling game on PS4 is Knack with 400K copies

Oh I see the problem here. Japanese gamers are buying the wrong games.