Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I have absolutely no desire to see the movie, but (speaking of accents) I'm genuinely curious about what accent Jamie Dornan uses in it. I've only ever seen him in The Fall, where he can use his natural voice without any trouble.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Wheat Loaf posted:

I have absolutely no desire to see the movie, but (speaking of accents) I'm genuinely curious about what accent Jamie Dornan uses in it. I've only ever seen him in The Fall, where he can use his natural voice without any trouble.

I read a review that said he uses an American accent and it's kind of flat. Disappointing, he used his own accent in Once and it worked fine.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The accents of Norn Iron aren't my favourite amongst the various British dialects. Still, when I visited America myself, a number of people told me they liked my accent (well, more people said it to my brother since his is a bit broader than mine; when we were in a Boys' Brigade company in East Belfast I was once asked why he sounds "normal" while I sound "posh"), so obviously there's some appeal.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Jack Gladney posted:

Yeah, Khan is literally the creation of the Paramount accounting department though. No reading of the movie can ever adequately explain that because readings of the film only address the world inside of the film instead of the real world that made it. Reading racism in the fictional Federation is always ignoring the problem because American racism is what actually made the Federation racist. The entire problem with institutional racism is that you can be a basically good person and still make things worse by not paying attention and just always doing the easiest thing. It's silly to think that people are evil or bad for participating in a racist system, but it's perfectly reasonable to hold them accountable for doing an easy thing that's lazy and bad instead of doing something more thoughtful. Whether the movie turns out good or not--whatever metric you want to use for that--isn't even the issue when you're talking about issues of race in film, but for what it's worth I really don't think JJ Abrams' Khan is helping anyone think critically about racism. And I don't get that Khan and his people are a race at all in the American understanding of the term because they're exactly as white and beautiful as everyone else. It's not a critique of Captain Kirk to point out how he's pretty like Khan: it's a critique of the system that makes these lovely, thoughtless movies.

Apart from refusing to take part in a reading of the film's actual content, you are mostly agreeing with me.

Although then you did try - but Khan in STID is never characterised as someone who loves power, but someone who loves his people. He will do anything to rescue them. He spends 99% of the story trying to rescue them or get them unthawed and 1% being so distraught by the idea they are dead that he suicide bombs a planet. He's in it because he feels attached to his 'family' - their actual goal of eradicating inferior life forms is treated as vestigial to this real motivation. If he were eradicating a species, he would be doing it 'for them.' Regardless, the point is someone (pre federation or not) created what they thought was a perfect human and it was jonny mcwhiteman. The eugenics wars are the result of the attempt to create people like Khan, the 'superior people'. It's a metaphor for Nazi idealism. Then, the same humanity that created khan created the federation. The Federation works better because it unites all humanity together and, in early canon, was literally communist. The remakes question this early ideal - what if we fail to escape the ideology that made us do all that bullshit? Hence the plot being mostly about trying to start a war with the Klingons.

It's easy to be cynical and say it's all bean counters, but re-appropriating a piece of art's (racist?) imagery as part of a rhetoric against systemic oppression is good. It's important to recognise that the solution to the problems we actually face are inherent in the ways we retell them in fiction. The People - Khan, Kirk, Uhura, Spock, the redshirts, civs, everyone - should unite and collectively alter the nature of the Federation itself to suit all - or even destroy it and create a truly egalitarian society in its place together. Your alternative appears to be to call the people at the top racist and hope they start acting against their best interests in a system that trains them not to do that. What stops them from changing their minds? Is it so hard to imagine a system that doesn't have people at the top who can decide whether to solve racism or not?

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Hbomberguy posted:

Apart from refusing to take part in a reading of the film's actual content, you are mostly agreeing with me.

Although then you did try - but Khan in STID is never characterised as someone who loves power, but someone who loves his people. He will do anything to rescue them. He spends 99% of the story trying to rescue them or get them unthawed and 1% being so distraught by the idea they are dead that he suicide bombs a planet. He's in it because he feels attached to his 'family' - their actual goal of eradicating inferior life forms is treated as vestigial to this real motivation. If he were eradicating a species, he would be doing it 'for them.' Regardless, the point is someone (pre federation or not) created what they thought was a perfect human and it was jonny mcwhiteman. The eugenics wars are the result of the attempt to create people like Khan, the 'superior people'. It's a metaphor for Nazi idealism. Then, the same humanity that created khan created the federation. The Federation works better because it unites all humanity together and, in early canon, was literally communist. The remakes question this early ideal - what if we fail to escape the ideology that made us do all that bullshit? Hence the plot being mostly about trying to start a war with the Klingons.

It's easy to be cynical and say it's all bean counters, but re-appropriating a piece of art's (racist?) imagery as part of a rhetoric against systemic oppression is good. It's important to recognise that the solution to the problems we actually face are inherent in the ways we retell them in fiction. The People - Khan, Kirk, Uhura, Spock, the redshirts, civs, everyone - should unite and collectively alter the nature of the Federation itself to suit all - or even destroy it and create a truly egalitarian society in its place together. Your alternative appears to be to call the people at the top racist and hope they start acting against their best interests in a system that trains them not to do that. What stops them from changing their minds? Is it so hard to imagine a system that doesn't have people at the top who can decide whether to solve racism or not?

Your 12th grade AP Lit teacher must have loved you

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Spiritus Nox posted:

On the subject of whitewashing - how bad should I feel about the fact that, despite her being white, I actually think that Scarlett Johansson is otherwise a really good fit for Ghost In The Shell's Motoko Kusanagi? Like, is it in poor form for me to even think she could do that character justice? I've been turning that over in my head ever since her name first came up in association with the role.

Since the Major is just a ghost inside several different cybernetic shells throughout the series, probably slightly worse than lying to your mother about using low fat milk instead of whole milk in your cereal.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

So I know this is a few pages old, but whatever, Allison, I'm loving Movie Nights and I really loved seeing you do the 90s Love Bug. I actually rented that back in the day and had almost completely forgotten about it and its made for TV goodness. Somehow I remembered that Mickey Dolenz was in it and not Bruce Campbell! I should really turn in my nerd card for that one.

I'm so glad you put up the footage about the "driving a devil car." I remember losing it back then too. I swear, having lived in that part of California for a few years since then, I think I recognized some of the roads they did the bug race on.

...actually, the whole drat Love Bug series is pretty messed up. The car keeps kidnapping people and forcing them to go on dates and stuff in the first movie too. Herbie is a hardcore shipper! Never saw the Lindsay Lohan one... probably for the best.

I feel like you seem to play better when you have another person around, the discussion was a bit strange in the first one. I assume the format is meant to mimic the idea of watching a movie with friends and chatting with them about it - I guess I'd say, act more like the audience is in the room with you too. Sometimes it seemed like you were aware of being by yourself. Well, regardless, I think you're off to a strong start.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Spiritus Nox posted:

On the subject of whitewashing - how bad should I feel about the fact that, despite her being white, I actually think that Scarlett Johansson is otherwise a really good fit for Ghost In The Shell's Motoko Kusanagi? Like, is it in poor form for me to even think she could do that character justice? I've been turning that over in my head ever since her name first came up in association with the role.

Gyges posted:

Since the Major is just a ghost inside several different cybernetic shells throughout the series, probably slightly worse than lying to your mother about using low fat milk instead of whole milk in your cereal.
On the other hand, the Major is explicitly a Japanese-named character who serves in a paramilitary unit overseeing cybersecurity in Japan so it does strike me as whitewashing. We could go back and forth and argue that the Major does have Caucasian features but that goes back to the uncomfortable fact how the early anime creators were emulating western animators and therfore were reinforcing the same double-standard that light-skinnned protagonists are the default. It took me a long, long time untill I finally figured out why so many anime characters looked nothing like Japanese people, having fair skin and light hair. You shouldn't feel bad, like what you like, dude. Just realize that it's a hosed-up situation how the powers that be are casting a white girl in a role who should go to a Japanese actress. I'm thinking either Rinko Kikuchi from "Pacific Rim" or Rila Fukushima from "The Wolverine". Then again my knowlledge of English-speaking Japanese actresses is limited so judge my casting choices accordingly :shrug:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Unless the GITS movie is being set in the west, in which case who gives a gently caress. It's every bit our prerogative to relocate and recontextualize an adaptation as it is for Japan to make Spider-Man Japanese and give him a giant robot.

EDIT: I feel the need to further explain, so nobody gets the wrong idea. If the GITS movie is still set in Japan, and the Major is still named Matoko Kusanagi, then yeah casting Scarlett Johanson is pretty hosed. But if the story's been fundamentally recontextualized, then it's a bit premature to scream whitewashing.

DStecks fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 18, 2015

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hbomberguy posted:

No amount of talking about Star Trek will change anything about anything. I objected to your reading because it's silly in its refusal to acknowledge historical reality and its tendency toward close-reading of a text to challenge the cultural conditions that produced it. No amount of analysis can make Star Trek into Darkness antiracist because racists buy and sell the movie. Your argument is exactly what Frederic Jameson complained about 30 years ago. But I'm not fixing anything by disagreeing with you and you're not fixing anything by reading Star Trek. I can imagine any system I want, but it will take more than the enjoyment I find alone in the dark to find it. Jesus, I don't want to be mean, but it's a loving awful film. It was made to be sold and now that it's been sold its been forgotten for an equally assembly-line Part Three. Resistance through pop-culture junk is impossible because pop culture is the problem.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
so how about them internet critics. What are the rascals at red letter media up to lately?

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

DStecks posted:

Unless the GITS movie is being set in the west, in which case who gives a gently caress. It's every bit our prerogative to relocate and recontextualize an adaptation as it is for Japan to make Spider-Man Japanese and give him a giant robot.

EDIT: I feel the need to further explain, so nobody gets the wrong idea. If the GITS movie is still set in Japan, and the Major is still named Matoko Kusanagi, then yeah casting Scarlett Johanson is pretty hosed. But if the story's been fundamentally recontextualized, then it's a bit premature to scream whitewashing.

Man, they remade Yojimbo and cast Clint Eastwood Mifune's role. Bullshit man.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

DStecks posted:

Yeah I think for GITS you can change things without it being too bad on the whitewashing, now if this was AKIRA then yeah it would be loving horrible

Found this bit of news, apparently someone is trying to get all the episodes of Transmission Awesome back from the dead
http://channelawesome.com/forums/threads/operation-restore-the-awesome.53122/
Shame that TA got purged from Blip, but I'm glad someone went through all the effort to try to save them.

TA was always a good show to listen to on my free time, though its going to be awkward listening to some of them knowing how a lot of the talent has left on bad terms because of CA being lovely.

I wish Paw would release some new Music Movies, but understandably he's pretty busy being a dad now.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
Is there a reason there are no links to the old threads in the OP?

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Rebochan posted:

So I know this is a few pages old, but whatever, Allison, I'm loving Movie Nights and I really loved seeing you do the 90s Love Bug. I actually rented that back in the day and had almost completely forgotten about it and its made for TV goodness. Somehow I remembered that Mickey Dolenz was in it and not Bruce Campbell! I should really turn in my nerd card for that one.

I'm so glad you put up the footage about the "driving a devil car." I remember losing it back then too. I swear, having lived in that part of California for a few years since then, I think I recognized some of the roads they did the bug race on.

...actually, the whole drat Love Bug series is pretty messed up. The car keeps kidnapping people and forcing them to go on dates and stuff in the first movie too. Herbie is a hardcore shipper! Never saw the Lindsay Lohan one... probably for the best.

I feel like you seem to play better when you have another person around, the discussion was a bit strange in the first one. I assume the format is meant to mimic the idea of watching a movie with friends and chatting with them about it - I guess I'd say, act more like the audience is in the room with you too. Sometimes it seemed like you were aware of being by yourself. Well, regardless, I think you're off to a strong start.

Thanks a lot! I'm enjoying doing these more than I've enjoyed making OLP in years. I appreciate the feedback about it.

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale
I dunno what the view here of text reviews are, but I recently started doing an anime review series, under the gimmick of only reviewing a series based on the first three episodes. I've done one so far, so I'm curious what people think

https://metalraymedia.wordpress.com/2015/01/31/three-episode-rule-celestial-method/

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

DStecks posted:

As long as it's made clear that it's just one of her bodies it could actually be interesting. A Japanese Special Force Major running around Japan in the body of Scarlett Johanson and answering to the name Matoko Kusanagi. If it's clear that a significant portion of the cast look like who they do because that's the cybernetic body they chose, that's some interesting additional information to the story. It wouldn't really help with Hollywood's love of the whiteness, but you could make an interesting bit of commentary on societal desires and trends. Especially if Section 9 uses that with members jumping bodies a couple times.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Benny the Snake posted:

I'm thinking either Rinko Kikuchi from "Pacific Rim" or Rila Fukushima from "The Wolverine". Then again my knowlledge of English-speaking Japanese actresses is limited so judge my casting choices accordingly :shrug:

Also lmfbo if you actually think Hollywood is gonna cast Rinko Kikuchi as the protagonist in a multimillion-dollar film; Asian-American actresses have a hard enough time getting roles while speaking fluent unaccented English.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

DStecks posted:

Also lmfbo if you actually think Hollywood is gonna cast Rinko Kikuchi as the protagonist in a multimillion-dollar film; Asian-American actresses have a hard enough time getting roles while speaking fluent unaccented English.
I can loving dream, can't I? :smith:

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Jack Gladney posted:

No amount of talking about Star Trek will change anything about anything. I objected to your reading because it's silly in its refusal to acknowledge historical reality and its tendency toward close-reading of a text to challenge the cultural conditions that produced it. No amount of analysis can make Star Trek into Darkness antiracist because racists buy and sell the movie. Your argument is exactly what Frederic Jameson complained about 30 years ago. But I'm not fixing anything by disagreeing with you and you're not fixing anything by reading Star Trek. I can imagine any system I want, but it will take more than the enjoyment I find alone in the dark to find it. Jesus, I don't want to be mean, but it's a loving awful film. It was made to be sold and now that it's been sold its been forgotten for an equally assembly-line Part Three. Resistance through pop-culture junk is impossible because pop culture is the problem.

You can't judge a film without reading it. Similarly, you can't judge one without seeing it either.

If racists consume something, that does not make it racist. Racist people cannot 'infect' movies simply by watching them jesus christ matey

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Tatum Girlparts posted:

This train of thought is dumb as poo poo but man poo poo like that comic bug me too because it's just one big lazy 'nope not gonna put any thought at all into things I consume FART'. Also using Poe for that is pretty loving great, there's a reason most lazy assholes stick to generic 'the drapes are blue' jokes instead of accidentally using a dude who used tons of metaphors and poo poo.

Yeah my point is that anyone with a bare knowledge of what Poe was going thru at the time could figure "Hey, maybe the raven poo poo does mean something Other than liking birds" and that somehow this guy got a degree on History of loving Art without one of his lecturers punching him in the mouth for this.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Cyron posted:

so how about them internet critics. What are the rascals at red letter media up to lately?

Releasing a new Best of the Worst, that's what they're up to.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Why did I have to learn this before work. I have just barely enough time to watch it.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/jealous-by-nick-jonas-7161267

Todd takes on Jealous by Nick Jonas

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Miss Wallace posted:

Thanks a lot! I'm enjoying doing these more than I've enjoyed making OLP in years. I appreciate the feedback about it.

You definitely seem like you're having fun with these!

Gah, and of course a few hours after I wrote that, I got the Patreon preview of you going through Olsen twins VHS tapes. Man, between you and MikeJ... I'm suddenly aware of how much crazy crap that brand generated.

I actually had seen the two videos where they were detectives before. I was just on the cusp of not growing out of that phase yet, and actually the Sea World one was broadcast on television at some point because that's how I saw it. It was kind of eerie because watching the clips, I'd remember snatches of dialog from them without context and that crazy "B-U-T-T OUT!" song, but not stuff like "D'awww, grandpa set up a fake mystery for them with the help of a pack of mimes!"

I also remember there was another one where the girls investigated the "Logical I Ranch" and saw stuff they assumed was "dragon boogers". Then.... wha wha, there wasn't a dragon, it was a "Geological Site" and they were just sulfur pits!

.... so I guess the catch was they didn't really solve mysteries at all. Phelous slowly breaking as went through show after show was hilarious.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
I loved the Olsen twins growing up, but man were most of these stinkers. They are funny to revisit though, ha ha. I'm pretty sure I had a friend who was part of the fan club.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Miss Wallace posted:

I loved the Olsen twins growing up, but man were most of these stinkers. They are funny to revisit though, ha ha. I'm pretty sure I had a friend who was part of the fan club.

I think most girls in the 90s either had an Olsen twins phase or had a friend was into it. I guess that extended to the early 2000s as well.

Actually, it's kind of impressive that neither one of them has had some kind of dramatic self-destruction as adults given how hard they themselves were pushed as a product.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

So, where can you find buff guys in LA?

The whole set up and pay off to that joke is spectacular. Its been a while since I laughed so hard.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 19, 2015

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Rebochan posted:

I think most girls in the 90s either had an Olsen twins phase or had a friend was into it. I guess that extended to the early 2000s as well.

Actually, it's kind of impressive that neither one of them has had some kind of dramatic self-destruction as adults given how hard they themselves were pushed as a product.

You obviously missed Mary Kate's battle with anorexia and the resulting media frenzy. There was a good year where I couldn't walk past a checkout counter without seeing a picture of her looking increasingly like a skeleton.

I think she's okay now, thankfully.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

You could have given me months to think of the most insane way to deliver the line "I am the perfect cyborg" and there's no way in hell I could have topped that.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Thankfully she ended up better off than Lindsay Lohan. Now there's a tragic story.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Mraagvpeine posted:

Thankfully she ended up better off than Lindsay Lohan. Now there's a tragic story.

At least we still have Mean Girls. :smith:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Unfortunately, they're victims of a horrible industry that scoops up young talent, molds them into a marketable thing, uses them up then discards them. It's pretty gross and why you see them do all this crap because they are trying to stay in the headlines or were never told no growing up so they think they can do anything then life catches up with them. But the studio got their profits so they don't care.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

dijon du jour posted:

You obviously missed Mary Kate's battle with anorexia and the resulting media frenzy. There was a good year where I couldn't walk past a checkout counter without seeing a picture of her looking increasingly like a skeleton.

I think she's okay now, thankfully.

Oh wow, totally forgot about that. I imagine retiring from acting probably did them both a world of good.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I really liked the Movie Nights with Phelan, it seems the style works really well with someone to talk to? I assume that Phelous isn't going to be in every episode though? I did like the more scripted and polished style of Obscurus Lupa Presents, but Movie Nights is growing on me. Mainly because of the theme song - it's rather good.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I like how Jack was obviously trying to get Mike to crack up with that extended "ohhhh" but Stoklasa had none of that poo poo and turned it around by loving smashing that beer bottle.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
This has the best Rich Evans laugh of all time by the way so it is a must watch

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

achillesforever6 posted:

This has the best Rich Evans laugh of all time by the way so it is a must watch

It also produced this reaction:

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 19, 2015

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jimbot posted:

So, where can you find buff guys in LA?

The whole set up and pay off to that joke is spectacular. Its been a while since I laughed so hard.

That had to have been one of Mike's best zingers in a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
If you liked Jill Bearup’s discussion of her video income, you’ll like Lindsay Ellis’ video about her tax situation.

• Locked thread