Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"HSBC: snouts in the trough – Chris Riddell on the tax avoidance scandal surrounding the bank and the Tory party"

Sunday Telegraph:

Ukraine crisis: Fighting subsides after ceasefire

Independent on Sunday:

Ed Miliband should publish tax documents - Conservative MP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Iain Green on cutting benefits for overweight people – People who cannot work because they are overweight or suffering addiction problems could be threatened with losing their sickness benefits if they do not accept treatment under plans due to be outlined by David Cameron on Saturday." After Blur.

Independent:

Copenhagen shootings: Danish gunman 'had violent past' [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little_Mermaid_%28statue%29"}Based on this statue in Copenhagen.[/url]

Times:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Literally a crying statue of liberty. Boo, Independent, boo.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Cliff Racer posted:

Literally a crying statue of liberty. Boo, Independent, boo.

Uh, wrong. Mermaid.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Rust Martialis posted:

Uh, wrong. Mermaid.
It's a reference to Kelly in the politoons thread. He has a weeping/cheering Statue of Liberty in almost every cartoon. (He's not meant to be be subtle.)

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Cameron is looking buff as gently caress, he's been working out.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Scarfe of the week

I don't think the russians still use AKs, but I really wouldn't know.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

They do, but they're modernized.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

I believe they use AK74m's

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mr. Squishy posted:

I don't think the russians still use AKs, but I really wouldn't know.
The newer models like the AK-103 are still in use with border guards and some police/military units, but the 47/74 are emblematic of Russia/the USSR.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
The wood is generally some synthetic material now and is often green or black. But they certainly do still use the AK family. They tried some other advanced rifles a few years back with all kinds of cool stuff like barrels that recoiled so the user didn't feel any kickback. But like everything involving their military they couldn't afford it.

Junior G-man posted:

Cameron is looking buff as gently caress, he's been working out.

Yes it's weird how even in moderate papers like the independent Cameron and his stupid shiny rubber face ends up looking handsome in all these cartoons while Miliband is reduced to a insane Wallace and Gromit villain.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Feb 16, 2015

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on British politics and Libya – Jonathan Powell has warned that violent chaos in Libya will spread to its neighbours, and to Europe and Britain, if left unchecked"

Yesterday's Telegraph:

Telegraph:

Ed Miliband: Hedge funds more important than hedge cutters after Ed Balls: I always get a receipt for getting my hedge cut

Independent:

'Skunk-like cannabis' increases risk of psychosis, study suggests

Times:

Islamic State: Egypt urges international intervention in Libya

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Stottie Kyek posted:

Lenin was kind of stocky, but he wasn't as rotund as that. He looks like a plush toy of himself. Gives me an idea for a sewing project :v:

A while later, new from The Express, it's the Paul Thomas Commemorative Mis-shapen Lenin plush! The back of his waistcoat is a chintzy quilt fabric, you can sort of see it in that picture.

Including flat cap and red flag accessory set!

Why not use him and all your favourite toys to re-enact the October Revolution? he's not actually pose-able, I just propped him up like this :ssh:

If Coohoolin doesn't want him I'm sure he can find a place on the local CPB stall or my bookshelf, and he was fun to make. Next project may just be a Sheikh of Wales... :getin:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

That's rad as hell - you should take him to your nearest train station

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Some of the staff at my local one (Waverley) are voting on strike action, so if they do strike I'll take some snacks or refreshments or something along to support the picket and maybe bring Vlad along. :D

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
This is the Lenin I know and love. Well done, mate.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Stottie Kyek posted:

Paul Thomas Commemorative Mis-shapen Lenin plush!
This is awesome :3:

Stottie Kyek posted:

Next project may just be a Sheikh of Wales... :getin:
Please do.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Hell you could probably bang out an entire Paul Thomas plush playset in a weekend - a couple of stunned looking pod people (one doing the pointing thing, the other with both hands together staring into space) and a few signs like DOCTOR and SOLICITOR

Then send him pictures

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Stottie Kyek posted:

A while later, new from The Express, it's the Paul Thomas Commemorative Mis-shapen Lenin plush! The back of his waistcoat is a chintzy quilt fabric, you can sort of see it in that picture.

Why not use him and all your favourite toys to re-enact the October Revolution? he's not actually pose-able, I just propped him up like this :ssh:

If Coohoolin doesn't want him I'm sure he can find a place on the local CPB stall or my bookshelf, and he was fun to make. Next project may just be a Sheikh of Wales... :getin:

:3: This is excellent; you are excellent. :ussr:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Cloud Potato posted:

:3: This is excellent; you are excellent. :ussr:
Yeah, we're gonna need a bigger :3:

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Stottie Kyek posted:

Lenin would never wear burberry!

omgomgomg I want it. He'll look grand under my Kollektiv Kommunisticheskovo banner. He's even got his own devushka. Right here:

How much do you want for him?

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Aw, that's a great banner, and it's nice to see he'll have a friend to greet him when he arrives! :3:

I had fun making him and he's mostly made of fabric remnants I needed to use up in my stash (and I'm not sure about the rules outside SAMart) so if you bung a donation of whatever you'd be willing to pay for him to the Communist Party of Britain, or a charity like the Citizens Advice Bureau, Shelter or the Trussell Trust or another Correct charity of your choice, Vlad and I would be very happy. :) I don't have PMs so if you send me the address you want him sent to at stottiekyek@gmail.com I'll put him in the post.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

this was a really surreal exchange and i'm glad i got to witness it

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Stottie Kyek posted:

Aw, that's a great banner, and it's nice to see he'll have a friend to greet him when he arrives! :3:

I had fun making him and he's mostly made of fabric remnants I needed to use up in my stash (and I'm not sure about the rules outside SAMart) so if you bung a donation of whatever you'd be willing to pay for him to the Communist Party of Britain, or a charity like the Citizens Advice Bureau, Shelter or the Trussell Trust or another Correct charity of your choice, Vlad and I would be very happy. :) I don't have PMs so if you send me the address you want him sent to at stottiekyek@gmail.com I'll put him in the post.

I'm not the biggest fan of the Communist Party of Britain, given their (to me) obnoxious views on Scottish independence. Would the good people at Future Choices be acceptable?

EDIT: Ooh also just because I'm chuffed about it, that banner is allegedly an authentic production of the Soviet Union- a friend of mine's parents went to Georgia on holiday and brought it back for them, and knowing of my love of red paraphernalia promptly gifted it to me.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Brian Adcock on the party leaders' TV debates – The Conservatives have signalled that David Cameron is willing to take part in televised leaders’ debates following the publication of revised plans from broadcasters" Also Teletubbies creator 'sad' about show's remake

Telegraph:

Mars One shortlist: five Britons among 100 would-be astronauts

Independent:

Greece is set to request a loan extension, reports say

Times:

Church of England urges 'fresh moral vision' from politicians

Mail:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Are tuk-tuks a big thing in Greece?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Mars now belongs to Scotland since Salmond was the only one with forethought to bring a flag.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Mars now belongs to Scotland since Salmond was the only one with forethought to bring a flag.

I've had a bunch of wine and maybe that's why but this had me laughing like an idiot.

Gonzo we should meet up for drinks sometime, do you have facebook or anything?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Coohoolin posted:

I've had a bunch of wine and maybe that's why but this had me laughing like an idiot.

Gonzo we should meet up for drinks sometime, do you have facebook or anything?

Got a twitter.

@vileiain

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Coohoolin posted:

I'm not the biggest fan of the Communist Party of Britain, given their (to me) obnoxious views on Scottish independence. Would the good people at Future Choices be acceptable?

EDIT: Ooh also just because I'm chuffed about it, that banner is allegedly an authentic production of the Soviet Union- a friend of mine's parents went to Georgia on holiday and brought it back for them, and knowing of my love of red paraphernalia promptly gifted it to me.

They do sound like good people, I hadn't heard of them but reading the site it looks like a great cause!

and that banner is mint

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Does this cartoonist know about the House of Lords?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The horror. A bunch of priests tell politicians not to be twats. Will our secular society survive that religious attack? Will politics ever be the same?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Paladinus posted:

The horror. A bunch of priests tell politicians not to be twats. Will our secular society survive that religious attack? Will politics ever be the same?

Christians should be "more evangelical" about their faith and "get out there and make a difference to people's lives", David Cameron has said, "except when they're interfering in my politics."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/10770425/David-Cameron-says-Christians-should-be-more-evangelical.html

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Hello friends, do you have any real objections to Australian cartoons being posted in this thread? I ask because 3 politoon threads is definitely a crowd, and the Australian cartoons that are posted in the big thread mostly get overlooked so that people can pretend to be outraged over the latest Muir or Rall or whatever. There's normally only one post worth of cartoons itt per day, so the addition of your neighbours from the South Pacific could increase that to two!

also a couple of the Aussie artists are really good

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Exclamation Marx posted:

Hello friends, do you have any real objections to Australian cartoons being posted in this thread? I ask because 3 politoon threads is definitely a crowd, and the Australian cartoons that are posted in the big thread mostly get overlooked so that people can pretend to be outraged over the latest Muir or Rall or whatever. There's normally only one post worth of cartoons itt per day, so the addition of your neighbours from the South Pacific could increase that to two!

For my money, you can keep posting Pope for as long as he's drawing Abbot, that caricature is fantastic. :allears:

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Stottie Kyek posted:

They do sound like good people, I hadn't heard of them but reading the site it looks like a great cause!

and that banner is mint

Ace, I'll pop a tenner their way and email you my address!

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Exclamation Marx posted:

I'd definitely welcome some more 'toons, though a bit of explanation or link to a relevant news story would be nice for those of us who aren't fully up on Aussie politics.

That second one looks like an attempt to look like Bell's Blair:

Is that part of the joke?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
It's Tony Abbott, who just looks like that. The guy who posts them is normally good with providing context

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
If Australia can get into Eurovision, I can't see any reason they can't get into this thread.
Yeah, though, definitely some context for non-Australians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Exclamation Marx posted:

It's Tony Abbott, who just looks like that. The guy who posts them is normally good with providing context

Sorry, should've been a bit clearer; I meant is the cartoonist making a political point with a homage (abbott is like Blair, similar to bell masking Cameron et al as Blair) or just aping the style (i know big mouth and big ears is hardly copyrightable, but the single mad eye and overall effect is so similar that it feels derivative)

• Locked thread