Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Shaggy really is pretty hairy with a GS. Maybe not a bad idea to try and stick close to his sides to take advantage of the rare occasions when he does stand still to spew fireballs or w/e. Otherwise give up on getting full charges off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

tlarn posted:

God, the gaijinhunter videos really should be required viewing for any of the weapons because there's so much poo poo I missed with some stuff that is basically the meat of how the weapon type works. I didn't understand how important the fade-slash is with Longswords until now. :gonk:

At this point I just got done with mandatory expeditions and I have a quest that will open up 3-star quests when I complete it. The fire-breathing dino-chicken thing was a pain in the rear end to fight on my own, how it has almost no downtime between attacks when it's almost dead; made me go through most of my mega-potions.

Yeah I watched that fade slash thing and I was like oh, crap, and immediately went to re fight the great jaggi and beat the snot out of him with a lot more ease because I knew how the spirit gauge and fade slashes worked

I have an expedition thing to fight Yian Kut Ku but I'm nervous as heck about it, what do I do with this? They said I can take this quest online but I'm not sure how?

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

Rei_ posted:

Yeah I watched that fade slash thing and I was like oh, crap, and immediately went to re fight the great jaggi and beat the snot out of him with a lot more ease because I knew how the spirit gauge and fade slashes worked

I have an expedition thing to fight Yian Kut Ku but I'm nervous as heck about it, what do I do with this? They said I can take this quest online but I'm not sure how?

I can answer this last thing, actually! You just do the expedition again, it's taking this chance to demonstrate that expeditions change the way the tiles are arranged each time you go out. As for going online, I guess you set your state to Online and look for people? I still haven't gone online yet, wanna make sure I at least won't paste myself on stuff alone.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Lynza posted:

Here is a cool thing they added. I was even talking before this came out about how cool it would be if they did this, and they did. You're welcome!

There is a thing when you open your blue item box with all your stuff in it (or the red one if you're in your house).

It's called "Item Sets." It is the best thing ever!

Here's what you can do (for new folks):

In your inventory (item pouch), put the following things (which you can make from your inventory box with the combine option):

10 potions
10 megapotions (this is potion + honey)
5 iron pickaxes
5 bug nets
Some well-done steaks you've made
6 paintballs (or as many as you can carry, but 6 seems to work pretty well, even if my aim is crap)
4 tranq bombs (later on, not necessary at the very beginning)
1 X trap - pitfall or shock, depending on what you're fighting. I like shock traps for most stuff, but some monsters can't be caught in one, so check before you fight, and plan accordingly.
Whetstones (if you're not a bow/gun user) - 5 or so ought to be plenty, but you can carry up to 20. If you're a bow/gun user, load up on whatever ammo/coatings you use.

Once you have this in your inventory (or whatever variation you like), register the item set. Next time you go out, just select the set you want and voila! You're good to go. This saves time, and means you don't have to go through your inventory after doing a bunch of harvesting and putting all the stuff you gathered in one at a time. You can just pop a set and anything that's not on the list goes right into your box.

This is a super basic list, and it's good for fighting something you want to capture. Make lots of lists! Register them for different stuff. Maybe throw in an antidote version, or a nulberry one, or one for expeditions (no traps maybe, if you don't care about capturing and want more inventory room).

Another good piece of advice - grow plenty of honey with the Wycoon. Sometimes you can buy potions outright with caravan points, and buy herbs wholesale and stuff. Make sure you have plenty of potions and honey for making megapotions. As you level up you'll probably stop bringing potions with you because they're not that useful once your food is leveled up and you're getting close to full health from a hot meal.

If you pick up one of a thing (like a might seed), don't use it for a combination until you've multiplied it with the Wycoon. Once you have more than one, go ahead and experiment. Sometimes it'll be a while before you see another one.

:captainpop:
How did I see this an just ignore it? Refilling my bag is one of the most tedious parts of the game. 4U really was made just for us.

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
So MH4U is my first Monster Hunter game, and so far I have about 15 hours logged with a good 10+ of it being online.

Do monsters get tougher when you have more people go out on hunts? I seem to be doing fine taking monsters solo, but when I hop online the same monsters seem to take almost twice as long for some reason.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I just cooked 10 well-done steaks all at the same time on a gigantic loving shish kebab BBQ without even leaving town
So Tasty!!! :allears:

GOTY 2015

crazkylo posted:

So MH4U is my first Monster Hunter game, and so far I have about 15 hours logged with a good 10+ of it being online.

Do monsters get tougher when you have more people go out on hunts? I seem to be doing fine taking monsters solo, but when I hop online the same monsters seem to take almost twice as long for some reason.

Yes Guild Quests and Village / Solo Quests are entirely seperate, and although the monsters have the same names, they're way tougher online. Its just something you have to get used to.

Later on you'll unlock higher tier quests, and you'll run into harder versions of the same monsters in solo and in online yet again.

4U has more monsters than any MH game before which is awesome, but there's still only so much, and this is a game where you'll log hundreds of hours easy. So they do repeat the bosses some, but harder, later on.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

crazkylo posted:

Yes. The Monster's HP is scaled up to accommodate 4 Hunters.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Thanks for the tips everybody! I was able to successfully bring it to Gore Malgala and mount him while in gently caress-off mode, which gave me a great opening to break off all his feelings feelers. :black101:

Yes.

Also fought one of my old favorites which I've been looking forward to, Rathian. And I was not wrong to bring the max antidotes because she made me use like 5 of them. (As expected lol, even knowing about the tail whip)

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

it took me some tries to get the gore magala feelers and then he drops 3 at once. :monsterhunter:

e: ha, the upgrade requires 3 tails and i got 4 in the process too

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Feb 18, 2015

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The Red Khezu is easily the most poorly designed monster in the entire series history. It just knocks you down once and combos you to death with like 3-4 other hits.

Same problem in the vanilla jap ver, I don't know why they didn't fix it for this.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
I didn't understand how people could play monster hunter games when I tried the demo of 3 a few times, but then I tried the new demo of 4 and the clunkiness finally clicked or something.

So I bought it and now I am a few babby quests in and enjoying it. Pity the 3dsxl is such a bitch to hold for long periods.

I just can't seem to settle on a weapon style yet. The axe didn't really click, the hammer is a front runner so far but then I just picked up the staff and it's cool to flip out everywhere.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

sitchelin posted:

Yes. The Monster's HP is scaled up to accommodate 4 Hunters.

Their defense also increases by anywhere from 5% to 30% depending on the quest rank.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

Rei_ posted:

Kut-Ku is a chump but he's an adorable chump and everyone loves besting him senseless.

BabyRyoga posted:

The Red Khezu is easily the most poorly designed monster in the entire series history. It just knocks you down once and combos you to death with like 3-4 other hits.

Same problem in the vanilla jap ver, I don't know why they didn't fix it for this.

Sounds like Red Khezu hasn't changed a bit since second gen. I'll still take him over Gigginox any day though.

I just beat Gore Magara for the first time and I'm wondering how they're going to make Tigrex more imposing than that? GM is pretty much Tigrex mixed with the worst bits of Teostra (at least as I remember him). Going to take a lot to top this guy.

Also the snake monster is genuinely terrifying. Why can't I get away from you?! Stop circling me! :cry:

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

I didn't understand how people could play monster hunter games when I tried the demo of 3 a few times, but then I tried the new demo of 4 and the clunkiness finally clicked or something.

So I bought it and now I am a few babby quests in and enjoying it. Pity the 3dsxl is such a bitch to hold for long periods.

I just can't seem to settle on a weapon style yet. The axe didn't really click, the hammer is a front runner so far but then I just picked up the staff and it's cool to flip out everywhere.

Get a circle pad pro. It makes the 3DS XL a little bigger and feels a bit like the WiiU game pad In terms of size.

Hellburger99 fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Feb 18, 2015

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zaphod42 posted:

I just cooked 10 well-done steaks all at the same time on a gigantic loving shish kebab BBQ without even leaving town
So Tasty!!! :allears:

GOTY 2015

Yes Guild Quests and Village / Solo Quests are entirely seperate, and although the monsters have the same names, they're way tougher online. Its just something you have to get used to.

Later on you'll unlock higher tier quests, and you'll run into harder versions of the same monsters in solo and in online yet again.

4U has more monsters than any MH game before which is awesome, but there's still only so much, and this is a game where you'll log hundreds of hours easy. So they do repeat the bosses some, but harder, later on.

Oh motherfucker.

THAT'S why I was having so much trouble with Jiangi, this whole time I was fighting him on the quest from the guild hall!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

Oh motherfucker.

THAT'S why I was having so much trouble with Jiangi, this whole time I was fighting him on the quest from the guild hall!

:lol:

Yeah if you go guild hall you should co-op.

If you do it solo it'll be way harder. If you're playing solo, do the Guildmarm green lady outside quests, inside building quests with the 3 people are for co-op.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i do not like gravios

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zaphod42 posted:

If you do it solo it'll be way harder. If you're playing solo, do the Guildmarm green lady outside quests, inside building quests with the 3 people are for co-op.

Ugh. Well at least I'm having fun with the game now, and I know to leave the guild hall alone unless I want to gently caress around with co-op.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
It's really weird coming back and fighting Tigrex again after what a massive brick wall he was for me in Freedom Unite. It was my first Monster Hunter, and before him, I really only ran into 2 real monsters that gave me problems.

First off was Giadrome of course. Not a hard fight, but he's the first real challenge of the game and I had no idea what I was doing. After a few attempts though, I got to grips with how combat actually worked (and how to deal with awful MH:FU camera controls) and took him down.

Next was Yian Kut-ku. By that point, I'd managed to take down a few of the other early bosses, but this guy totally wrecked me. The spin attack especially was the bane of my existence and was what taught me that I couldn't just go berserk on a monster and not get torn to pieces. It's also probably the first fight in MH:FU where you really need to start anticipating what attacks the boss is going to do, knowing where the safest spots to attack from were, and other basics of fighting just about anything else in the game.

After I took Kut-ku down, I was home free for a while and cruised up the next couple ranks, not really having much trouble with anything and beginning to put together some really nice gear. I figured when it was time for my rematch with Tigrex, it would wind up being the same sort of joke that Kehzu and Blangonga was.

He completely destroyed me. It wasn't even close on my first go at him, but I figured I'd seen the worst he could do and that I'd be coming back better supplied and better informed and would take him out. It didn't help, and I found myself staring a second Mission Failed screen wondering what the hell I was going to do! After a couple more attempts, I realized 'hey, maybe Longsword just sucks against him, I'll bring something different!' So for my next attempt, I come packing the best gunlance I could make, figuring that if I was cautious, I could beat him in a battle of attrition. Tigrex had other ideas though and tore me to shreds.

At this point, I was back to the drawing board. I was having zero luck fighting him up close, so thought I'd give bowguns a shot. I'm probably on my 10th+ attempt at this point, and came back packing heat. Surprisingly, my HBG was giving him the business and I'm managing to stay out of the worst of his attacks. I was actually winning! Tigrex disagreed though and promptly enrages. I'd been expecting this, as at this point I'd gone and watched videos trying to figure out how to get over this hurdle, but they really didn't prepare me for just how rough Tigrex gets when he's enraged. Sure enough, he wiped the floor with me once again.

I wind up putting the game down for a while out of sheer frustration, but MH's siren song lured me back a month or so later and I was ready to give Tigrex another shot. I'd seen how going ranged on him had been more successful than going melee had, but that when he enraged, carrying around a small piece of field artillery wasn't going to cut it. Going light bowgun was the obvious answer, but it seemed like none of them had enough oomph to see me through this. I looked at what options had, seeing as I only had access to about half of LR, and quickly realized what the answer to the Tigrex question was.

:syoon:A pretty pink umbrella! :syoon:

The Sakura Parasol, in addition to making me look FABULOUS, could rapid fire thunder shots, which are the element Tigrex is weak against. I figured, this, along with LBG's mobility will get the job done. I took another shot at him and started unloading streaming plasma death into his face. Problem is, he didn't die. I quickly ran out of thunder shots, and then in quick succession all the other ammo I'd brought with me, all the while, mistakes were piling up and I realized that this wasn't working either. However, I knew what the problem was. My whole strategy was to never be in front of him, as that was Tigrex's pointy end, and bad things happened when me and his pointy end got acquainted. As a result, I'd wait for him to attack, flank him, and unload into his side before he could reposition himself, then get the hell out of the way before he began his next rampage. Defensively, this was a good plan, but it also meant I was doing rear end-all for damage. So, this meant I had to start doing something I'd spent hours at this point teaching myself NOT to do. I was going to have to take Tigrex on face to face.

It was a rough learning curve. Nothing in the game was remotely as fast as an enraged Tigrex up to that point, and I was having to get way better at evading than I had been up to that point. The time between where I was after that first LBG and attempt and me getting to that point were filled with cart rides back to camp and trudging back up that drat mountain attempt after attempt. Slowly but surely though, I found I was getting trampled less and less. Sure enough though, down to my last dozen or so pellet lvl 1 rounds, almost out of healing items, and having burned through all my hot drinks, I got to watch in absolute amazement as I peeled off one last increasingly desperate shot and saw the Mission Complete screen and fanfare pop up.

It was easily my proudest moment in a game ever.

Having had the rest of the game denied to me for so long, I absolutely tore into the subsequent ranks, clearing the rest of LR in like a day. I even made it a fair bit into HR before I started to lose my momentum, and started fighting things that even felt on par with that Tigrex fight. I was up to the 9* quests before I even thought about trying it again too.

Today, I fought him again as part of the 5* quests in MH4U. I stabbed him in his big dumb dinosaur face with my gunlance until he croaked and went about my business.

So what I'm saying is, Monster Hunter is a pretty great.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!

Zaphod42 posted:

oh. I guess that was kind of spelled out in hindsight.

Just to make sure, I'm going to guess that you get better rewards doing the guild quests considering the monsters are tougher, even though you are splitting with three other people?

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Awesome! posted:

i do not like gravios
I was about to say the same thing. Not looking forward to fighting Apex Gravios.

Yian Garuga is awesome though. He's basically Yian Kut-Ku's spazzy evil twin with Rathian's backflip.

Seltas Queen is rad. It takes a lot of jumps to mount her though.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Awesome! posted:

i do not like gravios

Imagine doing tail runs (cutting his tail off, abandoning if you don't get the item, dying 3 times if you do) on gravios for 3 1/2 days

I did that in FU

it was hell

loving gravios brainstems

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Awesome! posted:

i do not like gravios
Monsters where like 90% of their body is bounce city are annoying.

Bloomington
Apr 20, 2010

Silvergun1000 posted:

It's really weird coming back and fighting Tigrex again after what a massive brick wall he was for me in Freedom Unite. It was my first Monster Hunter, and before him, I really only ran into 2 real monsters that gave me problems.

First off was Giadrome of course. Not a hard fight, but he's the first real challenge of the game and I had no idea what I was doing. After a few attempts though, I got to grips with how combat actually worked (and how to deal with awful MH:FU camera controls) and took him down.

Next was Yian Kut-ku. By that point, I'd managed to take down a few of the other early bosses, but this guy totally wrecked me. The spin attack especially was the bane of my existence and was what taught me that I couldn't just go berserk on a monster and not get torn to pieces. It's also probably the first fight in MH:FU where you really need to start anticipating what attacks the boss is going to do, knowing where the safest spots to attack from were, and other basics of fighting just about anything else in the game.

After I took Kut-ku down, I was home free for a while and cruised up the next couple ranks, not really having much trouble with anything and beginning to put together some really nice gear. I figured when it was time for my rematch with Tigrex, it would wind up being the same sort of joke that Kehzu and Blangonga was.

He completely destroyed me. It wasn't even close on my first go at him, but I figured I'd seen the worst he could do and that I'd be coming back better supplied and better informed and would take him out. It didn't help, and I found myself staring a second Mission Failed screen wondering what the hell I was going to do! After a couple more attempts, I realized 'hey, maybe Longsword just sucks against him, I'll bring something different!' So for my next attempt, I come packing the best gunlance I could make, figuring that if I was cautious, I could beat him in a battle of attrition. Tigrex had other ideas though and tore me to shreds.

At this point, I was back to the drawing board. I was having zero luck fighting him up close, so thought I'd give bowguns a shot. I'm probably on my 10th+ attempt at this point, and came back packing heat. Surprisingly, my HBG was giving him the business and I'm managing to stay out of the worst of his attacks. I was actually winning! Tigrex disagreed though and promptly enrages. I'd been expecting this, as at this point I'd gone and watched videos trying to figure out how to get over this hurdle, but they really didn't prepare me for just how rough Tigrex gets when he's enraged. Sure enough, he wiped the floor with me once again.

I wind up putting the game down for a while out of sheer frustration, but MH's siren song lured me back a month or so later and I was ready to give Tigrex another shot. I'd seen how going ranged on him had been more successful than going melee had, but that when he enraged, carrying around a small piece of field artillery wasn't going to cut it. Going light bowgun was the obvious answer, but it seemed like none of them had enough oomph to see me through this. I looked at what options had, seeing as I only had access to about half of LR, and quickly realized what the answer to the Tigrex question was.

:syoon:A pretty pink umbrella! :syoon:

The Sakura Parasol, in addition to making me look FABULOUS, could rapid fire thunder shots, which are the element Tigrex is weak against. I figured, this, along with LBG's mobility will get the job done. I took another shot at him and started unloading streaming plasma death into his face. Problem is, he didn't die. I quickly ran out of thunder shots, and then in quick succession all the other ammo I'd brought with me, all the while, mistakes were piling up and I realized that this wasn't working either. However, I knew what the problem was. My whole strategy was to never be in front of him, as that was Tigrex's pointy end, and bad things happened when me and his pointy end got acquainted. As a result, I'd wait for him to attack, flank him, and unload into his side before he could reposition himself, then get the hell out of the way before he began his next rampage. Defensively, this was a good plan, but it also meant I was doing rear end-all for damage. So, this meant I had to start doing something I'd spent hours at this point teaching myself NOT to do. I was going to have to take Tigrex on face to face.

It was a rough learning curve. Nothing in the game was remotely as fast as an enraged Tigrex up to that point, and I was having to get way better at evading than I had been up to that point. The time between where I was after that first LBG and attempt and me getting to that point were filled with cart rides back to camp and trudging back up that drat mountain attempt after attempt. Slowly but surely though, I found I was getting trampled less and less. Sure enough though, down to my last dozen or so pellet lvl 1 rounds, almost out of healing items, and having burned through all my hot drinks, I got to watch in absolute amazement as I peeled off one last increasingly desperate shot and saw the Mission Complete screen and fanfare pop up.

It was easily my proudest moment in a game ever.

Having had the rest of the game denied to me for so long, I absolutely tore into the subsequent ranks, clearing the rest of LR in like a day. I even made it a fair bit into HR before I started to lose my momentum, and started fighting things that even felt on par with that Tigrex fight. I was up to the 9* quests before I even thought about trying it again too.

Today, I fought him again as part of the 5* quests in MH4U. I stabbed him in his big dumb dinosaur face with my gunlance until he croaked and went about my business.

So what I'm saying is, Monster Hunter is a pretty great.
This should go in the OP.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bloomington posted:

This should go in the OP.

So you're saying you don't want anyone to read it?

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I am 37 Najarala kills in. I have had ONE shiny drop, and that one shiny was a Chilling Beak. All 37 times I have broken the back, face and tail. What the gently caress am I supposed to do to get a Chilling Beak?

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Found a decently easy HR clown set, at least in terms of caravan progression. Diablos Helm, Velocidrome Chest S, Tigrex vambrace S, Seltas Waist S, Velocidrome Legs S. Naturally gives S+1 and AuS with enough slots to get to AuM and, if you have a charm with even +1 attack or a single slot (on charm or weapon) you can get AuL. If you have a decent charm (or any two slot charm and two slot weapon) you can get AuXL. No al gore or shaggy killing required.

Should be able to make the Diablos after killing LR Brachy once, maybe twice if super unlucky somehow (you part trade for it) and its defense is fine, really, given its status as midway between LR and HR gear. Velocidrome is, well, velocidrome--be prepared to kill lots of prey and such. Can potentially get Seltas in one go if you cap it during the Caravan 8 quest, but the Tigrex piece is kind of a pain. It needs tons of stuff that, while not rare, will most definitely require at least two kills. After using armor spheres, my final defense value was around 296 IIRC.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

ilifinicus posted:

I am 37 Najarala kills in. I have had ONE shiny drop, and that one shiny was a Chilling Beak. All 37 times I have broken the back, face and tail. What the gently caress am I supposed to do to get a Chilling Beak?

Probably cap it. :v: (this is not the solution in this case)

Kiranico claims it's a 5% carve, so in reality if you don't need it ASAP, wait until high rank.

Ghost-Slug
Feb 21, 2011

Feeding Tigrex
one Hunter at a time

Lipstick Apathy
I beat my first Zamtrios last night! I know it's been said but that boss transformation... :allears:

I want to see all these crazy bosses you're all talking about but I just can't leave quests unfinished so it's egg carrying duty for me.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Emalde posted:

Probably cap it. :v: (this is not the solution in this case)

Kiranico claims it's a 5% carve, so in reality if you don't need it ASAP, wait until high rank.
How do I get a shiny

I want a shiny

the single shiny was a beak

I NEED SHINIES

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Shinies are usually dropped when you make somethng flinch. 90% of the time it'll be an account item (read: small zenny reward at the end of the quest) like a wyvern's tear, sometime's it'll be a scale or claw, rarely it'll be something good.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Ignimbrite posted:

Shinies are usually dropped when you make somethng flinch. 90% of the time it'll be an account item (read: small zenny reward at the end of the quest) like a wyvern's tear, sometime's it'll be a scale or claw, rarely it'll be something good.

Let's say Paddock Oil to upgrade down the first HBG path. The only two ways to get Paddock Oil are either shinies or capturing a Tetsucabra. And even then, I don't think the chance was that high. Haven't checked Kiranico at all, so. At this point, I stopped gunning and picked up my Glaive and Insect. Might switch to a BIG BEEFY WEAPON-LIKE THING later on though.

E: It's 25% chance per shiny, and 20% chance per cap. So I think I'll either be patient, or go down a different HBG path.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Just got the stealth glaive, reached rank 2 and killed a rathian. Life is good and this game owns.

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

ilifinicus posted:

It's not the best answer, but you could wait until High Rank. The drop rates's doubled. There's also a hunt-a-thon Narajala quest that spawns as many low health Najas as you want at 7 star. Now if you've killed him 37 times on High Rank and you've only gotten one Beak, that's insane. You're killing him for a chance at a beak in the carves, right? Capturing doesn't give beaks.

Edit: And someone's posted this exact info above me. I should have read further. SORRY FOLKS. On a side note though, the new Naja weapons that unlock with his High Rank mats are loving insane. The HBG is sick, the Insect Glaive is beautiful, and the Sword and Shield is super snazzy. You have to unlock that last one through upgrading a Velocidrome SnS, though.

Cronodoculous fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Feb 18, 2015

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Ghost-Slug posted:

I beat my first Zamtrios last night! I know it's been said but that boss transformation... :allears:
I was taken totally by surprise about that and I think I actually laughed when he turned into the incredible expanding sharkball.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

G-Prime posted:

Try charge blade, but watch gaijinhunter's tutorial on it, because it has an absurd amount of depth that you won't figure out on your own.

I got to HiRank using Charge Blade mostly and I still learnt an insane amount of stuff from that video.
Seriously, watch it.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The six star low rank advanced quests continue to be full of surprises

kirin, AND brachydios AND Akantor?!

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

widespread posted:

Let's say Paddock Oil to upgrade down the first HBG path. The only two ways to get Paddock Oil are either shinies or capturing a Tetsucabra. And even then, I don't think the chance was that high. Haven't checked Kiranico at all, so. At this point, I stopped gunning and picked up my Glaive and Insect. Might switch to a BIG BEEFY WEAPON-LIKE THING later on though.

E: It's 25% chance per shiny, and 20% chance per cap. So I think I'll either be patient, or go down a different HBG path.

shark dude definitely drops paddock oil. I just got 2 in the after mission loot

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Fauxtool posted:

shark dude definitely drops paddock oil. I just got 2 in the after mission loot

Which shark dude? Isn't it at 4* Village questing?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I think the OP needs a message that grinding Najarala for that LR sharpness +1 set is a massive waste of time.

Does anyone know when the fishing machine starts getting you HR Plesioth parts? I've already upgraded it once with an HR gathering hall quest but it's still giving me LR parts.

widespread posted:

The subquest on the Tetsucabra hunt also drops them IIRC. The Nyrscylla HBG is better for low rank until you can get the Zinogre one, in my opinion. The Tetsu drumcannon line is pretty good for early high rank though.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Feb 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

DoctorX posted:

I remembered that was a Key Quest after I posted. Anyway, doing only Key Quests in early game can save you a lot of time if you just want to hunt large monsters as soon as possible.

There's something that's been bugging me. 3U was my first Monster Hunter game. When I hunted my first Great Jaggi, it felt like a challenge. Same goes for Qurupeco. It's not that I thought they were difficult, but they felt like "real" monsters compared to the small ones. Now I'm doing the offline quests in 4U and I've reached Congalala, and every single monster up until now has been very easy and quick. I was a bit disappointed when I killed Great Jaggi and Seltas in like 5 minutes. So I'd like to ask you guys if you think the first monsters in 4U are easier than the ones in 3U or if it's just that I'm a lot better at the game than when I played 3U. Is Great Jaggi really the same in both games?

I'm using a charge blade, if that makes any difference.

It's definitely mostly your own improvement. Capcom decided to implement a free 50 extra defense (practically doubling Low Rank armor levels) for the western release of MH3U. So Low Rank 3u was actually significantly easier than any other MH. 4U does give the hunter more tools, especially the ride system and expanded weapon movesets, but it doesn't compare to 50 free defense as far as early difficulty. You really just did get that much better. It's the magic of MonHun.

• Locked thread