Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Chard posted:

Does marking actually increase the enemies' odds to attack that character though? The tooltip, I think, says that it makes it likelier that they will take more damage, but in my limited experience mobs will still attack anyone they feel like, marked or not.
My confirmation-bias gut says yes they will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Genocyber posted:

He's mean the BH's camp buff is the really good one.

Well that went right over my head. Woosh.

Hell, stack all 3 on him and let him go to town.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
I would pay a ton of money for an alternate combat narrator who sounds like the guy from NBA JAM.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I haven't seen anything hard and fast about weapons or armor first. Different classes get different amounts out of weapon upgrades, while the armor upgrades are more consistent. Armor is all +5 dodge and +4-5 HP for most classes, weapons seem to generally be +1 dmg and crit, with some people getting speed at rank 1. Leper gets the most mileage out of upgrades, his level 1 weapon gives 1 dmg, 1 crit, and 2 spd, while his armor gives 5 dodge and 7 hp. Personally I think the armor upgrades provide a pretty significant increase on survivability (even the high dodge classes are getting a ~33% increase on dodge and ~20% increase on hp), while the weapon upgrade is potentially lost in just the normal rng range.

The best thing about the leper's push is that it has a 15 higher accuracy than his attack, and the damage is the same penalty as on hew, -40%. He hits hard enough that he can still 1-shot lower hp enemies with it, and there are a lot of enemy comps where there is a high damage low hp guy in one of the front two slots. Pushing a melee to slot 3 is sometimes good depending on who was in slot 3 before. I really like the idea of expanding the leper positioning on some of his self-buffs and giving them +1 forward though.

If you get the wine skeleton into position 1 they only do the little knife attack, gun bandit only does single target in position 1, and most of the melee enemies can't attack from position 4. Moving the enemy is a really good way to make them unable to do their really scary attacks, so if you're not able to kill a guy off that first round it can be a great move. Depending on the comp, a pull/push can be a lot stronger than straight damage. Perfect example is if you have an occultist with some +spd (camp buff, maybe trinkets/quirks) and the pull skill, the 3 bandit groups are really easy. Pull the gun guy to the front, now he does a weak single target, and dagger bandit spends his turns passing. Kill off dagger and fatty and then the gun guy.

Edit: let me start a new game following strict provisioning that you have and see how soon I can upgrade guys. I know running low light is boosting me significantly, and I also take some extra supply stuff normally that tends to pay out pretty good. Maybe I'll lose both guys in tutorial as well.

Off to a good start, it gave me a leper and another vestral in addition to the default vestral and plague doc!

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 17, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ZypherIM posted:

Edit: let me start a new game following strict provisioning that you have and see how soon I can upgrade guys. I know running low light is boosting me significantly, and I also take some extra supply stuff normally that tends to pay out pretty good. Maybe I'll lose both guys in tutorial as well.

Yeah. That's the thing. There's a lot of stuff that's good advice for new players (strict provisioning, etc.) that ceases to be good advice once you learn how to play the game better. At this point my instinct is that "don't upgrade the Blacksmith till you get level 3 characters" is in that category (but I admit I could be wrong). If you know what you're doing and can tell good quirks from bad and know how to put together an A-Team party composition then investing in upgrading an A-Team's worth of armor early on is probably a smart move. On the other hand, I suspect that if you're still making lots of basic fuckups it's probably better to save your cash and spend it sparingly and carefully, just buying at most a few key upgrades.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

MacheteZombie posted:

Could have sworn the vestal had an Acc buff camp buff as well. You are right about the Bounty Hunter's though. Oh well.

She does, acc+dodge. You stack them all on a Leper with rabies!

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
I have found leapers to be pretty good if you use two of them and use their +protect stress heal every other turn. They're pretty much invulnerable and most enemies can only target the first three positions, so you've only got one hero that could possibly die.

Of course, crusaders do just as much damage and are more versatile, but leapers are probably the best pure tank.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like the leaper's big chop that hits the first 2 rows and does respectable damage. After a camp and maybe with a buff they hit fine.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Dackel posted:

She does, acc+dodge. You stack them all on a Leper with rabies!

I've been trying to get Rabies on my best Leper for exactly this reason. Hell, at the moment he does his self buff, then the BH buff and then he basically can't miss even after his penalty from Revenge. His damage is phenomenal.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah. That's the thing. There's a lot of stuff that's good advice for new players (strict provisioning, etc.) that ceases to be good advice once you learn how to play the game better. At this point my instinct is that "don't upgrade the Blacksmith till you get level 3 characters" is in that category (but I admit I could be wrong). If you know what you're doing and can tell good quirks from bad and know how to put together an A-Team party composition then investing in upgrading an A-Team's worth of armor early on is probably a smart move. On the other hand, I suspect that if you're still making lots of basic fuckups it's probably better to save your cash and spend it sparingly and carefully, just buying at most a few key upgrades.

Yea I completely understand the idea, I've just got a feeling that unless they pull really, really bad quirks (the ones that are also super obviously terrible) that they'll get a good return on investment with a bit earlier upgrades. With a basic outline of "here are some decent party comps, try to build one of these", they should be able to progress a bit easier.

With losing my starter two guys, beating 2 shorts and 1 medium following strict provisioning(and maintaining full light) I've gotten enough heirlooms to unlock 4 guys/week, a 2-slot stress reliever in the abbey(3rd upgrade), rank 2 skills, rank 2 armor, the first two sanitarium upgrades, and have 18.9k gold. I've fired a few guys, and have sent 3 guys through stress relief. It costed around 9k to buy skill ranks, armor, and a couple different skills for some of my guys, leaving me at just over 9k left in my bank. A couple of them have some fairly bad quirks, but none of the super bad ones.

So I'd say if they're following provisioning, aim for those amounts of building upgrades and 20k in the bank, they can pretty safely start to upgrade a team.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
This is in answer to the question about upgrading weapons vs upgrading armour and the answer is that +5 dodge on top of the extra HP is just an enormous increase in power level compared to a slight boost in weapon damage and should basically always be done first with no real exceptions.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Chard posted:

Does marking actually increase the enemies' odds to attack that character though? The tooltip, I think, says that it makes it likelier that they will take more damage, but in my limited experience mobs will still attack anyone they feel like, marked or not.

Pretty sure one of the loading screen tips says this is correct. Something like "Be careful <enemy>'s marking ability will let its friends know what to attack!"

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Demicol posted:

Pretty sure one of the loading screen tips says this is correct. Something like "Be careful <enemy>'s marking ability will let its friends know what to attack!"

It was the fungi I think, but I honestly can't tell sometimes.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I've had marked guys get focus fired; not fun times

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I suspect it's just like how only certain (well, one) hero abilities are affected by marks, not all enemies can take advantage of them. Those groping swipe mushroom guys certainly seem to.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Rascyc posted:

With lunge nerfed, he has pretty much the best AoE attack in the game now. It's just limited to the front two obviously.

Wait a minute--they nerfed the Grave Robber's Lunge? How?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Time_pants posted:

Pretty sure he meant breakthrough, not lunge. At least based on the rest of the conversation.

I was using some lunge action earlier today to great effect still.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

ZypherIM posted:

Pretty sure he meant breakthrough, not lunge. At least based on the rest of the conversation.

I was using some lunge action earlier today to great effect still.

Oh thank God.

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003
Speaking of lunge, what other classes have movement abilities that provide good synergy with grave robber? I like the idea of a highly mobile party that can roll with the pushes and pulls.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

More grave robbers, lunging forever!

Crusader is okay, with holy lance. Gets less good once you clear out the back two rows though.

Highwayman is always fine, and pretty much always has something effective to do in any of the front three spots.

I've done a Crusader, Highwayman, Grave Robber, Vestal team a bunch, and it is always solid.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 18, 2015

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

lunatikfringe posted:

Speaking of lunge, what other classes have movement abilities that provide good synergy with grave robber? I like the idea of a highly mobile party that can roll with the pushes and pulls.

The Highwaymen and Jester both combo very well with Robber, double or even triple Robber is also pretty good.

Here's a good primer

It's not the best damage, but it's got the nice bonus of never having to worry about your party order getting shuffled around when you're surprised, makes them excellent for pitch black loot runs.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Time_pants posted:

yeah sorry, I meant break through.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

lunatikfringe posted:

I think jester is the only one who can move the same distance, if you're going to try to use speed-affecting trinkets to get a perfect lunge conga line going.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Enemy attacks have targeting limitations and position requirements, and enemies don't have basic move actions (though some have move forward and attack attacks). Push the front line enemies into the back (or pull the back ranks forward) and they often won't be able to use their best attacks. I've even made skeletons pass their turn because they were in the far back and couldn't do anything.
Bandit gunners also must use the Hurried Shot skill instead of Blanket Fire in the first slot, which can't hit your rearmost dude. And must hit only one person instead of all 4.

Controlling enemy position is quite powerful.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

There are several classes with pretty good +forward skills that can chain together pretty well. Crusader, grave robber, highwayman, and jester all have some pretty strong skills that move them forward. Look at how you want to cycle guys around, and their options for when they're not in the perfect spot for how you want to setup your party.

Crusader has holy lance, which is extremely good in the ruins, and decent elsewhere. 10% crit and +15% dmg against unholy. It requires there to be a 3rd or 4th enemy slot going on, and the rest of his kit is position 1 or 2, so you'll be walking him forward if he is in the back and their back is gone, or rely on some +back skills from your other guys. I guess if you have inspiring cry you can use that from the back for some stress relief while your other guys do clean-up.

Grave robber has lunge, which is a +40% dmg with 10% crit skill that hits any of the first 3 enemy spots. She can follow up with shadow fade, which is a solid stun against spot 1 or 2, +back 1, and a dodge buff all on the same skill. Lunge followed by someone else using a +forward move to push her to spot 2 basically lets you alternate between a strong attack and your defensive skill. If you need more damage output, or have another guy moving her back eventually, pick to the face or throw dagger are both solid damage options.

Highwayman is sort of the opposite of grave robber, in that his advancing skill is weaker while his front action is stronger. Duelist's advance is +forward 1, -20% dmg, but can hit any spot. Once he is in position 1, point blank shot is +50% dmg against their front line guy. Note that being ranged, it gets the bonus from cleaning guns camp skill (+10 ACC, +20% dmg, +5% crit). He has a solid set of options for positions 1-3 if he gets stuck in there.

Jester is probably the weakest of the 4 for a combo type move, and would be a more "in addition" that one of the mainstays. He'd either be for pushing another guy backwards or as sort of a clean-up guy. Dirk stab is base damage and moves him to position 1. From there he can use solo (which is pretty poo poo I think, a -10 acc for the enemy party if you hit), or heroic end, which is a +33% dmg hit with a solid crit chance. After that you'd use the fact that he can move to any position in 1 move to shove him back to spot 4 and start jamming out till his debuff is gone or the fight is over.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Lotish posted:

I've been trying to get Rabies on my best Leper for exactly this reason. Hell, at the moment he does his self buff, then the BH buff and then he basically can't miss even after his penalty from Revenge. His damage is phenomenal.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Darkest Dungeon - I've been trying to get Rabies on my best Leper for exactly this reason.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I get rabies on my dudes all the time in the Warrens. That puke attack is pretty annoying.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Is there a bug in the game where if you deal lethal damage to an enemy at the same time you force it to switch positions it will survive? There have been a few times where I've used the Bounty Hunter's chain yank attack where I'm pretty sure the enemy should have died but instead it gets pulled to the front and survives with 1 health.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Rascyc posted:

I get rabies on my dudes all the time in the Warrens. That puke attack is pretty annoying.

That puke can give you any kind of disease though. If you actually want rabies, let the dogs in the weald maul your guys. Great way to get rabies on your Vestal!

Strange Horizon
Sep 21, 2005

It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Is there a bug in the game where if you deal lethal damage to an enemy at the same time you force it to switch positions it will survive? There have been a few times where I've used the Bounty Hunter's chain yank attack where I'm pretty sure the enemy should have died but instead it gets pulled to the front and survives with 1 health.

I've killed things with my occultist's tentacle pull before.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I noticed in one of the earlier patch notes they mentioned rounding up enemy health so that enemies would no longer have 0 health, is this related to that somehow? I'm not clear on how you can deal a fractional amount of damage, but in the notes from build 7547:

quote:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/262060/announcements/detail/177100196316127138
•Rounded up monster HP in tooltip (so monsters don't show 0 HP)

Ramc posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Darkest Dungeon - I've been trying to get Rabies on my best Leper for exactly this reason.
This thread has some of the best discussions. Also

and then you've got a lot of sunk costs in a hero that your probably need to dismiss anyway, just because of the backlog he'll create at the sanitarium.
"Backlog at the Sanitarium" would be a great metal album title :rock:

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Things i'd like to see:

Ruins: Killing a necromancer adds 10 weeks to the doom counter. (you have X weeks until the skeleton army marches loving on)
Weald: Killing a hag adds 1 new adventurer / week to the stage coach. (Remove stage coach upgrades. They're dumb.)
Warrens: Killing swine royalty raises the minimum level of your adventurers by 1.
Cove: Killing X Raises the level cap by 1.
DD: You win the game when you reach the bottom.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Well. Enemies have HP with 1 decimal point just like you. The problem is it only shows whole numbers, but doesn't ignore the decimal. This resulted in enemies "surviving" with 0HP. The way the devs dealt with this is (as someone before me has said) that they won't show 0HP to confuse you, but rather 1HP. Yup, this sure isn't confusing at all.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

I'm pretty sure they changed it so that the number always rounds up, so you shouldn't see miraculous survivals anymore. Maybe there is an edge case where when they're at full hp it can be off? Honestly I've yet to see something live with 1hp when it should have died.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

What does Protection actually do? I've tried both the Leper and Crusader's defensive skill, and no way is it a simple -20% damage taken. Incoming damage drops by a lot more than that. Very often I see these guys being crit for only 1.

Mushrooman
Apr 16, 2003

Disco Dancin'

Taunts would probably be too powerful. A skill that let him absorb attacks made against another party member, or maybe gave the party +PROT, that could maybe work. I like the idea of giving his +self ACC buff a +1 Move Forward also.

What if Withstand made him mark himself, or is that too much of a taunt mechanic?

Edit: I should read the thread.

Mushrooman fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 18, 2015

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Snow Job posted:

What does Protection actually do? I've tried both the Leper and Crusader's defensive skill, and no way is it a simple -20% damage taken. Incoming damage drops by a lot more than that. Very often I see these guys being crit for only 1.

Swine King crit one of my crusaders past a 22% prot buff, and an additional 5-8% prot from trinkets to still deal 26 damage to me. Considering most hits do 1-5 damage on crit with those buffs, I don't know how much damage that attack would have done without the extra protection, but I'm assuming a lot.

With respect to your actual question on how it works, I have no idea.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Snow Job posted:

From eyeballing it? It looks like Prot gives damage reduction on a vaguely exponential basis. When you have a ton of it, you're right, it barely even matters how hard dudes hit. I am suspicious that this is precisely the reason that armor upgrades don't give you more Prot the way you would reasonably expect. It instead buffs every defensive stat that ISNT Prot.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Yea I don't know how exactly it works, but if you want the easiest time you've ever had go find yourself 4 sun cloaks and keep that torch running above 75.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Just checked the modding forum on steam, people are already making rebalance mods and new classes. I hope this game develops an active modding community.

Can't wait for porn mods