Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Going from SR4 to SR3 really highlights how bigger budget it feels. :v:

Did they have more money to play with or were they just able to work with their limitations much better? Even the choreography in cutscenes feels so much better.

Tiggum posted:

Yep. Just stand around outside until it triggers. It won't happen if you're in a vehicle or have any notoriety IIRC.

Ah, the notoriety is where I'm going wrong then. Usually pick fights when bored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

poptart_fairy posted:

Did they have more money to play with or were they just able to work with their limitations much better? Even the choreography in cutscenes feels so much better.

Ah, the notoriety is where I'm going wrong then. Usually pick fights when bored.

Well THQ didn't implode halfway through the development of SR3.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Kilonum posted:

Well THQ didn't implode halfway through the development of SR3.

Other way around.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Tiggum posted:

Other way around.

SR3 imploded halfway through the development of THQ?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

poptart_fairy posted:

Did they have more money to play with or were they just able to work with their limitations much better?

As I recall, Saints Row The Third was troubled by budget cuts as THQ was circling the drain (there's a lot of stuff that got cut). THQ filed for bankruptcy about halfway through IV's development.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

poptart_fairy posted:

Part of the problem as well, aside from what was already mentioned, was that, with THQ circling the drain, they were making all sorts of cuts to SR3's plot in order to make it appeal to as many people as they could. Killbane's original actions during Johnny's funeral was one of the biggest changes, as he was supposed to use a dirty nuke in Stillwater, and then blame it on the Saints.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I knew about the cut stuff but I didn't realize there was so much of it. I assumed a lot of things (Morningstar being integrated into a single group rather than the DeWynters being their own, etc) were brought down due to time constraints rather than any sort of catastrophic company fart. Guess this sort of ignorance happens when I don't do the politics side of games. :v:

And man, fighting a Warden was depressing as hell. Use super speed to dodge a Warden's attacks, ninja spin to recover from his ground pound that destroys half the car park, retaliate with a massive fireball, he then uses telekinesis to hurl a flaming truck at me which I catch and throw back at him with my own TK.

Start crying because I want City of Heroes back. :saddowns:

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Hell, just using super speed and jump made me miss CoH. That was one MMO I didn't get tired of.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Play Champions Online then!

Sometimes I wish the Champions costume editor could be in Saints Row.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Light Gun Man posted:

Play Champions Online then!

This will only lead to disappointment.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

SR4 is way way better as a superhero game than Champions Online so just stick with that

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh god Ashly Burch uses her Tiny Tina voice. :suicide:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Oh god Ashly Burch uses her Tiny Tina voice. :suicide:

Why the gently caress did you call her in the first place

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm trying to use homies much more than I have done before. Think I'll just summon CID rather than the Burches in future. :v:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Burches are great for installing mods over :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Saints Row is a very serious game.

:psyduck:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

poptart_fairy posted:

I knew about the cut stuff but I didn't realize there was so much of it. I assumed a lot of things (Morningstar being integrated into a single group rather than the DeWynters being their own, etc) were brought down due to time constraints rather than any sort of catastrophic company fart.

Six of one, half-dozen of the other. THQ kept cutting the budget and ordering things to get axed from the story because they were running out of money and wanted Volition to get The Third in stores ASAP so they could get some much-needed revenue.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

:psyduck:

How do you get an alien costume like that? Is it DLC?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Red Mundus posted:

How do you get an alien costume like that? Is it DLC?

It is.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Aw, gently caress, that means I am going to be buying horse armor again.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I bought all the DLC during a Steam sale. Got a bit of a nasty shock when I forgot about it and the game spent about six hours telling me what I'd unlocked the next time I booted it up.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I had some weird dream kinda of about Saints Row. Part of it was definitely from Gat Out of Hell, even involved landing and using Stomp and taking out one of the anti-air spires, and there was a map with icons for activities and poo poo. The area was not from any of the games, and was muddled up with a dream about a game that doesn't exist (which itself was muddled up with a dream about me and my father driving somewhere in the car...), and there were different characters, and the biggest clue that it wasn't real should have been that Johnny was restrained and beaten up by police. For... weird reasons.

I'd say I played GOoH too much, but I haven't touched it since I 100%'d it, and it didn't take all that long... dreams are weird, when you think about it.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

KennyMan666 posted:

I had some weird dream kinda of about Saints Row. Part of it was definitely from Gat Out of Hell, even involved landing and using Stomp and taking out one of the anti-air spires, and there was a map with icons for activities and poo poo. The area was not from any of the games, and was muddled up with a dream about a game that doesn't exist (which itself was muddled up with a dream about me and my father driving somewhere in the car...), and there were different characters, and the biggest clue that it wasn't real should have been that Johnny was restrained and beaten up by police. For... weird reasons.

I'd say I played GOoH too much, but I haven't touched it since I 100%'d it, and it didn't take all that long... dreams are weird, when you think about it.

I want what you smoked.

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

KennyMan666 posted:

gently caress you say?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

poptart_fairy posted:

Saints Row 2 can get serious sometimes. Here's me and Johnny payin our respects to Aisha

RIP

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Smelly posted:

I want what you smoked.
Was probably some bad Loa Dust. (or good Loa Dust???)

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Saints Row 2 can get serious sometimes. Here's me and Johnny payin our respects to Aisha

RIP

Oh man I felt so bad when I turned up in that mission wearing my regular combat gear. :(

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

poptart_fairy posted:

Oh man I felt so bad when I turned up in that mission wearing my regular combat gear. :(

This is my regular combat gear!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You are over dressed as gently caress, dude.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm going to take that as a compliment.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
What DLC isn't included in the game of the century pack?

RIP

Volition went on record as saying they felt Saint's Row 2 was too serious and dark, pointing at Red Asphalt as a specific example.

The Deadly Hume posted:

Took you over a week to come up with that?

I just don't get around to reading this thread often.

My Lovely Horse posted:

The police and colonization endings seem like the only ones that set stuff up for the future, and even then; maybe it's that I watched the police ending first or maybe it's wishful thinking but the colonization one feels like more like justification for the "thank you god" gag. The police ending is a proper teaser. I really want the police thing you guys

Planet for SRV, Police for Stilwater Noire. :v:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 23, 2015

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Anatharon posted:

What DLC isn't included in the game of the century pack?

At a glance nothing seems to be missing. Even the more cheaty DLCs like the extra elements and the pack that's literally just more cheats for the cheat menu are in.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Anatharon posted:

Volition went on record as saying they felt Saint's Row 2 was too serious and dark, pointing at Red Asphalt as a specific example.

That's just weird to me since those were the most memorable parts of it. It's even more memorable when your guy is dressed like a hotdog.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
2/3rds of the way through Saints Row 2, and I get all the praise for it. It's missing a few things from 3, but overall there's no comparison. 2 is just way, way better.

It's basically Joker Simulator (from Batman) because pretty much everything the boss does would be completely in character for the Joker.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 24, 2015

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

This is my regular combat gear!

Sharp dressed mass murderers stick together :hfive:

After all,

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
You're the leader of a gang for christ's sake, you need to be blinged out as gently caress.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Anatharon posted:

Volition went on record as saying they felt Saint's Row 2 was too serious and dark, pointing at Red Asphalt as a specific example

I'm not disputing this, but I think what they said about Red Asphalt was that they hated that you had no choice in it, you had to mercy-kill Carlos. That's why they included choice mechanics in 3 onwards, so you can decide yourself if that's something the Boss would do.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Cleretic posted:

I'm not disputing this, but I think what they said about Red Asphalt was that they hated that you had no choice in it, you had to mercy-kill Carlos. That's why they included choice mechanics in 3 onwards, so you can decide yourself if that's something the Boss would do.

The only thing wrong with Red Asphalt is that you fail the mission if Carlos dies, but then you just kill him anyway. :argh:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Capn Beeb posted:

Sharp dressed mass murderers stick together :hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013
Hi guys can someone please coop with me in SR3/IV/GooH? I like achievements and coop games in general, but not a single person in my friends list plays the game anymore :(
Please reply with your Steam link if you want to. Even one of the games is OK :)

• Locked thread