Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
For real though this man is like one leaked transcript away from inserting space aliens with lazer rifles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
i thought malazan was unreadable from the start i get what the dude was going for but ppl throwing your books in the garbage is the risk you run making your books obtuse and inaccessible on purpose

got was kinda like the gunslinger with the big sweeping symbolism and pulp violence and little antifables a legit fun read imo

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

fanged wang posted:

i thought malazan was unreadable from the start i get what the dude was going for but ppl throwing your books in the garbage is the risk you run making your books obtuse and inaccessible on purpose

got was kinda like the gunslinger with the big sweeping symbolism and pulp violence and little antifables a legit fun read imo

It doesn't help that the first Malazan book was written ten years earlier and isn't written as well as the following books in terms of getting the story across. It's not a hard series to get into if you just let events happen as they do.

I read GOT before Malazan and while I like Erikson's series better (largely because it's actually resolved), the first three books of ASOIAF are excellent at telling a surprising and engaging story. With that said I think the best book in both series' is the third (Storm of Swords and Memories of Ice) for completely different reasons. Martin is a better visceral storyteller and he tells a more focused story, in part because his chapters are limited to just one character's point of view. Erikson is a better scene-setter and he knows how to put in a ton of cool poo poo into every page. Storm of Swords has the Red Wedding which is awesome; Memories of Ice has a siege in which a squad of rooftop defenders killed so many guys that the building they're standing on is literally sagging down from the weight of all the corpses packed into it which is awesome for an entirely different reason. They're both genre standouts and I would be hard-pressed to rank one over the other.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Take it to the Erikson thread.

If you took an excerpt of both series to a legit writing group/class, the GRRM one would get politely laughed at before critiquing, the Steve one would be told to revise for human comprehension and not come back until it did.

(Though I did read Gardens before AGoT, and made it to book 5 until I realized 'Oh Christ, this dude is awful')

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mike N Eich posted:

The show has already killed off a character still alive in the books, like, uh.. fan favorite Jojen Reed.

I guess this means Bronn's gonna die, because I don't really see him playing a huge role even in the books and he's hoping around with Jaime. Thats lame.

I'm pretty sure Jojen died in the books, but it was off-screen.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Steven Erikson is the fantasy author I always bring up when dropping a deuce on GRRM. The guy wrote ten (10!!!) books in twelve years, and five of those books were between the release of AffC and ADwD. Each of the books is as long and as complex as the ASoIaF books, and there is no drop in quality between them (if you like his writing, then you like all ten of the books). And despite telling a long-rear end story, each of the books had it's own plot with its own climax and conclusions. Even more funny, is that Erikson is still writing new stuff. Remember that big world building book they just released for GRRM's books? Remember how cool all those little blurbs were, but how there is no chance the fucker will ever write about those strange far away lands? Erikson is doing that. He is following up on all those neat world-building threads from his books, and is writing entirely new stories set in the same vibrant world. It's loving cool.

Pretty sure Raymond Fiest's time to write the entire Riftwar series will be shorter than the time GURM takes for ASOIAF. Riftwar books are shorter (and have some issues, namely most things related to the Dread and Valheru) but the original trilogy and most of Serpentwar as just as good as ASOIAF, and rarely is it as bad as AFFC. I found myself more interested in the political stuff in the later riftwar books than the magic stuff with Pug and the other Mary Sues. I'd be all for him going back and writing a book about the Upright Man coming to power and the formation of the Mockers.

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

Malazan Book of the Fallen is nowhere near the quality of the first three ASOIAF books though, to be fair.

That's the series where the books are written out of chronological order and so book 3 might happen before book 2 did but through different POVs and such right? I remember tossing the first book aside and reading the Cycle of Arawn since it was $0.99 on iTunes, and then read some Demonsouled books, which were kinda interesting in the premise but samey, then finally got around to Mistborn and now Farseer. The worst part about Mistborn is that when I moved on to Alloy of Law I thought that the page count in my iPad was an error, then realized that no, it really was about 1/3 the length of the other Sanderson books I read but still cost a similar amount. :mad:

Gravybong
Apr 24, 2007

Smokin' weed all day. All I do is smoke weed. Every day of my life it's all I do. I don't give a FUCK! Weed.
Malazan is great if you're ok with reading the full summary of someone's D&D campaign, which I admittedly am, but it really doesn't engage as well as ASOIAF simply because you're laughing at all the D&D as gently caress names.

Tattersail. Silverfox. WHISKEYJACK.

and then all the magic dimension names are weirder but at least sort of cool. ASOIAF doesn't throw so much fantastical poo poo at you that you're reeling after one chapter, it does that well enough.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

fanged wang posted:

Funny thing, I found GoT unreadable from the start. And then second and third book was OK (well the Tyrion chapters), and then I waited, read an awful book, and then I waited, read an awful book, and then I waited. Oh, crap, I am still waiting, aren't I?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
It took me several hundred pages and a few weeks of fighting boredom to really get into GoT originally, but once it got good for me, it stayed good (finished the remaining 500 or whatever in two days) through SoS. GotM, while rougher in its technical aspects, hooked me from the beginning with the world and storylines, and there was never a point in the series where I found myself as bored as I did over the first third to half of GoT. It may be nerdy as hell that the series is based on a D&D type campaign, but it led to a remarkably fleshed out world and completed (and incredible) stories.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
So...why WAS Robert so goddamn obsessed with Lyanna when he clearly didn't really know the woman and despite being so in love refused to stop drinking and whoring? Was it a wholly possessive "I'm a young lord and I get whatever I want" and when he finally wanted something beyond a shallow reason another man went and told him he sucked and he could never have it? Is Robert's whole adult life just one big sulking temper tantrum?

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Cornwind Evil posted:

So...why WAS Robert so goddamn obsessed with Lyanna when he clearly didn't really know the woman and despite being so in love refused to stop drinking and whoring? Was it a wholly possessive "I'm a young lord and I get whatever I want" and when he finally wanted something beyond a shallow reason another man went and told him he sucked and he could never have it? Is Robert's whole adult life just one big sulking temper tantrum?

You have never been obsessed with a girl in school for example that goes beyond anything what can be considered rational or healthy?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

OhYeah posted:

You have never been obsessed with a girl in school for example that goes beyond anything what can be considered rational or healthy?

Well, no, but even if I attempt to conceptualize like that would be, I would think that part of that obsession would be to STOP SLEEPING WITH OTHER WOMEN BECAUSE YOU GIVE THEM MONEY.

Robert's behavior is really baffling. It's one thing if he deeply cared for Lyanna, loss is loss, but the way he acts is more like they had a great love story instead of him barely knowing her and refusing to even try and change his ways for the sake of his feelings/their relationship.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
In the end I think that's the story he chooses to tell himself, one that falls apart under the slightest of scrutiny.

Seems to me that he wanted Lyanna so he and Ned would be bound by blood; Ned being the brother Robert always wanted.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Cornwind Evil posted:

He was a teenager and an orphan when he became infatuated with Lyanna. Likely all he knew of Lyanna were stories from Ned, and maybe meeting her a few times at high society events but she was basically his 'little red-haired girl' that would have made his life perfect in a hormone-addled melodramatic way only a teen could think up.

Before his hopes can be crushed by the mundane reality of life, they were sent up in flames by the horrible reality of war. He justifies the entire conflict as an epic battle of two great men (Rhaegar and Himself) fighting for the love of a woman and the fate of a continent. When she's lost to him the entire throne is a hollow victory, and from that point on the only women in his life are high born girls playing the game (or just obeying their parents that were), whores, or just girls who want to be able to tell their friends they hosed a king. So because he never learned the 'boring' way that there is no such thing as a 'perfect' woman he's convinced himself that he already had and lost her.

Robert is every bit as sentimental and blind to the world as Sansa was at the very start, he just believes in raunchier songs

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Feb 18, 2015

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...

420 Gank Mid posted:

He was a teenager and an orphan when he became infatuated with Lyanna. Likely all he knew of Lyanna were stories from Ned, and maybe meeting her a few times at high society events but she was basically his 'little red-haired girl' that would have made his life perfect in a hormone-addled melodramatic way only a teen could think up.

Before his hopes can be crushed by the mundane reality of life, they were sent up in flames by the horrible reality of war. He justifies the entire conflict as an epic battle of two great men (Rhaegar and Himself) fighting for the love of a woman and the fate of a continent. When she's lost to him the entire throne is a hollow victory, and from that point on the only women in his life are high born girls playing the game (or just obeying their parents that were), whores, or just girls who want to be able to tell their friends they hosed a king. So because he never learned the 'boring' way that there is no such thing as a 'perfect' woman he's convinced himself that he already had and lost her.

Robert is every bit as sentimental and blind to the world as Sansa was at the very start, he just believes in raunchier songs

It's sad this entire post puts things into perspective better than GRRM did in the books. I always felt Robert was the hero throwing down the evil Targaryens with Lyanna as a side note. At least that is the story GRRN spun.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Yeah the real lovely thing is that the clues are there, but having to wait years between books means you won't ever connect the dots (unless you reread them all).

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
everyone knows the ending reveal will be that its ALL Bran's coma dream after being pushed out the window.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

TommyGun85 posted:

everyone knows the ending reveal will be that its ALL Bran's coma dream after being pushed out the window.

"It was all just a dream! I can walk! I can walk!"

*surges out of bed; collapses on non-working legs*

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Habibi posted:

"It was all just a dream! I can walk! I can walk!"

*surges out of bed; collapses on non-working legs*

The long wait times will be worth it if that is the pay off.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

TommyGun85 posted:

Bran was Tommy Westphall the whole time.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Hunky Joe posted:

It's sad this entire post puts things into perspective better than GRRM did in the books. I always felt Robert was the hero throwing down the evil Targaryens with Lyanna as a side note. At least that is the story GRRN spun.

I think he does a pretty good job through the books of letting the reader know that Robert was full of poo poo. It really becomes clear by the 5th book when there are multiple characters talking about how great of a guy Rhaegar was. Including one that is full on in love with the memory of Rhaegar.

That's actually one of my favorite parts of the series. That GRRM doesn't have a character out and out state that Robert's recollection of events is totally wrong, but the clues are there that Robert was actually one of the villains in that conflict, along with the mad king.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Robert isn't a villain in the conflict unless you are high.

He is a prick but nothing he does involving the War itself is really wrong.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

Robert isn't a villian in the conflict unless you are high.

Yea, poor choice of words on my part. But he's definitely not a hero in that war and Lyanna was definitely not taken by force. It seems that everyone but him understands that.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Robert Baratheon Did Nothing Wrong

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Gravybong posted:

Malazan is great if you're ok with reading the full summary of someone's D&D campaign, which I admittedly am, but it really doesn't engage as well as ASOIAF simply because you're laughing at all the D&D as gently caress names.

Tattersail. Silverfox. WHISKEYJACK.

and then all the magic dimension names are weirder but at least sort of cool. ASOIAF doesn't throw so much fantastical poo poo at you that you're reeling after one chapter, it does that well enough.

Yeah, this. I quit about halfway through the first book cause I had no idea what was going on and I was irritated at the D&D poo poo like the elven raven lord called Darkmoon Silverstalk who was sieging a magic floating fortress or whatever the gently caress that was.

Elman fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 19, 2015

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I never had a very good grasp of magic or the magic dimensions in Malazan but the 2nd and 3rd books were still excellent. Books 4 and 5 were pretty good too iirc. I got burnt out after reading 5 or 6 and is been so long that trying to get back in would require a reread and that will never happen.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

420 Gank Mid posted:

Renley believed in Beyonce songs.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
All my single laddies, All my single laddies

(•_•)
<) )╯
/ \

( •_•)
\( (>
/ \

(•_•)
<) )╯
/ \

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I just found out that Ferb is voiced by the actor who plays Jojen reed. I'm not sure how to process this.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Robert isn't a villain in the conflict unless you are high.

He is a prick but nothing he does involving the War itself is really wrong.

Ned's a lesser villain though, as there's too much poo poo that points to him knowing his sister doesn't care about Robert like he does for her, and when the war ended he could've taken the throne but didn't and left his now emotionally wrecked friend on the seat so he could gently caress off back to Nebraskaros.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
As Ned's motivations for the war go, there's also that thing about his dad and brother being brutally murdered.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
None of that sounds the least bit villainous. Maybe a bit lazy, but my main man Ned lasted about 2 seconds dicking around with KL politics and Robert had it running fairly smooth as you could expect for years so it was pretty smart too.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
And Ned trying to take the throne could've just splintered the rebellion and prolonged the war.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Ned's a lesser villain though, as there's too much poo poo that points to him knowing his sister doesn't care about Robert like he does for her, and when the war ended he could've taken the throne but didn't and left his now emotionally wrecked friend on the seat so he could gently caress off back to Nebraskaros.

Nah, Ned wanted his sister back since as far as he knew she was kidnapped.

Hell I still think that is a possible, and I don't particularly put weight into the opinions of people who weren't there but loved old R.

I mean yeah forcing his sister into marriage against her will is lovely, but doesn't have much to do with the war.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Hunky Joe posted:

To be fair to the absolute fucker, this is where his writing is the strongest. When he can lead you down the well lit and obvious fantasy pathway only for you to retrace your steps later and lift the veil to see his world and the characters in it for what they are. Not monsters or heroes, but people.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

threeagainstfour posted:

Yea, poor choice of words on my part. But he's definitely not a hero in that war and Lyanna was definitely not taken by force. It seems that everyone but him understands that.

Actually most people in Westeros probably think Rhaegar did kidnap Lyanna, since Rhaegar was already married and Lyanna was already betrothed to Robert. People went crazy when Rhaegar crowned Lyanna at the Harrenhal Tourney (because married dudes aren't supposed to crown other women Queens of Love and Beauty), Rhaegar totally hosed up when he left his wife and kids to go run off with Lyanna, and no amount of Robert being blinded by adolescent idealized love can change that a Crown Prince does not loving run off with the daughter of a High Lord and disappear for months on end. Don't forget Rheagar didn't show up til right before the Battle of the Trident, which is about half to 2/3rds of the way through the war. The very least he could have brought her to King's Landing and said "Yoh so I'm marrying this bitch as my second wife, just like Aegon the Conqueror, deal with it". Instead he allows the entire realm to explode into chaos and only shows up again in order to get murdered.

Furthermore, Aerys started the whole conflict with murdering Ned's father and brother on essentially trumped-up charges, and THEN demanding Jon hand over two innocent heirs so he could do the same to them.

The Targaryens are guilty of kidnapping and murdering, Robert and Ned are guilty of... being somewhat naive? Yeah, Targaryen dynasty still hosed up majorly and if there has to be a bad guy during Robert's Rebellion, it's them. Really, Rhaegar and Lyanna should've known their decisions would have real bad consequences.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Yeah, pretty much. It's been shown too in the books that Rhaegar had his head up his rear end about fulfilling prophecy(and having a baby with Lyanna would've filled part of one of these), so there could have still been some kidnapping of Lyanna going on if she was more sensible than him about consequences.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Absolutely no one realistically thinks that Ned could have ended up king after the Rebellion. I think the only person who even mentions it is Cersei. Robert at least had a Targaryean grandmother to give his reign a fig leaf of legitimacy.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Potooweet posted:

Absolutely no one realistically thinks that Ned could have ended up king after the Rebellion. I think the only person who even mentions it is Cersei. Robert at least had a Targaryean grandmother to give his reign a fig leaf of legitimacy.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only person who thought Ned might have taken over was Jaime, and I think that was just him recounting events from his PTSD haze after he killed Aerys and the "let Robert be king of the ashes" messengers to the Pyromancers. And even then I think he was just confounded that Ned ordered him off the Iron Throne and then actually stood around in the throne room and waited for Robert and Tywin to arrive rather than sit on it himself.

Though it's ultimately just another example of Jaime being Jaime, not thinking things through to their end and being really dumb at politics (his prowess as a warrior and ability to manipulate people notwithstanding).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Considering his frequent flashbacks and the way he does everything to try and evade starting another war, there's a good case to be made that Ned suffers from PTSD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Actually most people in Westeros probably think Rhaegar did kidnap Lyanna, since Rhaegar was already married and Lyanna was already betrothed to Robert. People went crazy when Rhaegar crowned Lyanna at the Harrenhal Tourney (because married dudes aren't supposed to crown other women Queens of Love and Beauty), Rhaegar totally hosed up when he left his wife and kids to go run off with Lyanna, and no amount of Robert being blinded by adolescent idealized love can change that a Crown Prince does not loving run off with the daughter of a High Lord and disappear for months on end. Don't forget Rheagar didn't show up til right before the Battle of the Trident, which is about half to 2/3rds of the way through the war. The very least he could have brought her to King's Landing and said "Yoh so I'm marrying this bitch as my second wife, just like Aegon the Conqueror, deal with it". Instead he allows the entire realm to explode into chaos and only shows up again in order to get murdered.

Furthermore, Aerys started the whole conflict with murdering Ned's father and brother on essentially trumped-up charges, and THEN demanding Jon hand over two innocent heirs so he could do the same to them.

The Targaryens are guilty of kidnapping and murdering, Robert and Ned are guilty of... being somewhat naive? Yeah, Targaryen dynasty still hosed up majorly and if there has to be a bad guy during Robert's Rebellion, it's them. Really, Rhaegar and Lyanna should've known their decisions would have real bad consequences.

GRRM basically ripped of the story to The Illiad and the Trojan War. Moral of the story is: if a dumbass prince and a stupid married highborn woman decide to elope together, poo poo will go down.

Rhae and Lyanna are 100% responsible for what occured.