Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taxman84
Feb 11, 2015
I really like the app, keep up the good work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

xzzy posted:

No, it's just how unicode works. There's nothing your browser/app can reasonably do about it.. if you want it fixed, harass whoever's the forum code monkey to filter out inappropriate unicode strings.
Eventually, people will stop being dicks and posting them.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Josh Lyman posted:

Eventually, people will stop being dicks and posting them.

Uh huh.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Well my name's smilie keyboard and I'm here to say, I gently caress up app review in a major way

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
They still review apps? With the amount of crap on the store these days I honestly thought they'd stopped caring.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Soricidus posted:

They still review apps? With the amount of crap on the store these days I honestly thought they'd stopped caring.

Everything that gets submitted, new app or update, gets stuck in review limbo, Last I heard it was at LEAST a week to get reviewed, and while you can ask for an expedited review, that doesn't always work (Back when that Page 1 of 1 error was happening and the app was borderline completely unusable, the patch for that still couldn't get expedited)

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

pokeyman posted:

Well my name's smilie keyboard and I'm here to say, I gently caress up app review in a major way

Did Apple decide they hate different emoticons than last time?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Snuffman posted:

They've been on an anti-violence crusade lately, maybe after forcing the elimination of the sex smilies now they want the guns ones gone.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Snuffman posted:

Nope. And I guess it was unfair to blame it all on the smilie keyboard. Today's rejection cited:

quote:

14.3 - Apps that display user generated content must include a method for filtering objectionable material, a mechanism for users to flag offensive content, and the ability to block abusive users from the service
25.5 - Keyboard extensions must remain functional with no network access or they will be rejected

The latter was a quick fix. I'm not sure how to address the former; I'm hoping a different reviewer gives Awful a pass on it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That UGC one is insane. How can Safari or Chrome do that? So many apps are going to fail there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The first one is already fixed.. SA mods can ban users, and users can blacklist other posters.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Missing the report UI, but yeah.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah the first one screams adding the report button to post actions.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Add a big, visible button that fires off a sternly-worded email to lowtax@somethingawful.com

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

xzzy posted:

The first one is already fixed.. SA mods can ban users, and users can blacklist other posters.

That was my argument to app review.

The Dave posted:

Yeah the first one screams adding the report button to post actions.

I thought of that too :)

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

withak posted:

Add a big, visible button that fires off a sternly-worded email to lowtax@somethingawful.com

But then we'd have to create a Dear Richard letter generator to feed it content.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Vegastar posted:

But then we'd have to create a Dear Richard letter generator to feed it content.

do it

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

I still have an intermittent issue (on 30218) where I'm unable to load additional pages of threads in forum view. Haven't figured out any rhyme or reason but have a picture:

You can see here even trying to scroll it up further doesn't force a load.

e: it also occurs on a forum by forum basis, and closing the app and restarting sometimes fixes it.

baram. fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 18, 2015

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Does it work if you pull down to refresh, then scroll down right after it's done refreshing?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

pokeyman posted:

Does it work if you pull down to refresh, then scroll down right after it's done refreshing?

Yep that's a way to fix it.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Baram posted:

Yep that's a way to fix it.

Ok cool, that's the same bug I'm thinking of then.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Dumb question but is there supposed to be a report button somewhere or is something bugged with my account? I thought I saw one when I first tried Awful but now I don't know.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Ryoshi posted:

Dumb question but is there supposed to be a report button somewhere or is something bugged with my account? I thought I saw one when I first tried Awful but now I don't know.

It's on the list.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Not sure if this was covered but intermittently I've opened some YouTube links in the awful browser and found the Done button top left doesn't dismiss the player interface.

Not really sure how to determine if that's awful or ios though.

Latest Awful, ios 8.1.2 iPhone 6.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

That UGC one is insane. How can Safari or Chrome do that? So many apps are going to fail there.

The "rule" is if you have a form of moderation and no address bar to access whatever, then you don't have to take the 17+ rating, basically. Don't tell them about Pinterest's browser, though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ultramiraculous posted:

The "rule" is if you have a form of moderation and no address bar to access whatever, then you don't have to take the 17+ rating, basically. Don't tell them about Pinterest's browser, though.

That's nice, but Awful is 17+ anyway.

alexmac
Jun 4, 2008
Love the app, use it constantly

However, I'm getting a bug where the app crashes to home screen consistently when I get to the bottom of my list of bookmarks. Crashes every time as it's about to reach the last one.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

the yeti posted:

Not sure if this was covered but intermittently I've opened some YouTube links in the awful browser and found the Done button top left doesn't dismiss the player interface.

Not really sure how to determine if that's awful or ios though.

Latest Awful, ios 8.1.2 iPhone 6.

Yeah I mentioned it a while ago. There's nothing special about the player it uses. It's the iOS default one as far as I remember. I'm apparently one of the few actually having this problem as well. My workaround recommendation was to just have YouTube links open in said app. I think that's (still) On The List.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 20, 2015

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

alexmac posted:

Love the app, use it constantly

However, I'm getting a bug where the app crashes to home screen consistently when I get to the bottom of my list of bookmarks. Crashes every time as it's about to reach the last one.

Might be fixed in the new version? Holler back once the update comes out.

Ugato posted:

Yeah I mentioned it a while ago. There's nothing special about the player it uses. It's the iOS default one as far as I remember. I'm apparently one of the few actually having this problem as well. My workaround recommendation was to just have YouTube links open in said app. I think that's (still) On The List.

Yep.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
How is the flag support coming along?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
I can't figure out a rhyme or reason for it but when I get to the bottom of the thread list in certain forums like GBS or Ask/Tell it refuses to load the next page of thread titles. No spinning thing or acknowledgement there might be more either. Still using the beta on my 6+ btw.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Just started using the app on an iPad after using it forever on an iPhone - the UI is even better, loving it so far.

Question: could we have "launch all links in safari|chrome" as an option? The current use of the share button is cumbersome and slow since you land up loading the page twice.

YouTube plays poorly on the embedded browser, it doesn't stretch to fill screen in landscape for eg. Ignoring YouTube, I'd prefer to have logged in state and context for websites be in just the one browser and not spread over various embedded browsers. Ditto cached content.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Does long-press on links suffice? (Doesn't work for links that are also images, but that's on The List as I understand it.)

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Does long-press on links suffice? (Doesn't work for links that are also images, but that's on The List as I understand it.)

It certainly helps, thanks. It'd still be nice to have a selectable default external browser.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Crime on a Dime posted:

How is the flag support coming along?

Well I still don't know what flags are, so not well. Can you explain again?

Bum the Sad posted:

I can't figure out a rhyme or reason for it but when I get to the bottom of the thread list in certain forums like GBS or Ask/Tell it refuses to load the next page of thread titles. No spinning thing or acknowledgement there might be more either. Still using the beta on my 6+ btw.

I will take a look.

v1ld posted:

Question: could we have "launch all links in safari|chrome" as an option? The current use of the share button is cumbersome and slow since you land up loading the page twice.

Yep, it's on the list.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

pokeyman posted:

Well I still don't know what flags are, so not well. Can you explain again?

I figure he was referring to reporting posts.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Subjunctive posted:

Speaking of long presses and of images...

Since upgrading to iOS 8, long pressing a link pops up the sharing sheet, which unfortunately no longer shows the destination URL.

On a non-link image, a long press will still open the image viewing sheet, but its share button only lets me copy the image data itself, not the URL of the image.

I haven't read through this whole thread or the entirety of the project.log version, so I might've missed it, but are these two issues on The List™?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The Dave posted:

I figure he was referring to reporting posts.

Nah there's an FYAD flag thing that's already on the list, I just didn't actually write down what the hell it is.

Abjad Soup posted:

Since upgrading to iOS 8, long pressing a link pops up the sharing sheet, which unfortunately no longer shows the destination URL.

Definitely on the list.

quote:

On a non-link image, a long press will still open the image viewing sheet, but its share button only lets me copy the image data itself, not the URL of the image.

I think I added a "copy image URL" action there. Should be fixed in the new version.

quote:

I haven't read through this whole thread or the entirety of the project.log version, so I might've missed it, but are these two issues on The List™?

Just for the record, nobody should feel like they have to read the project.log thread or really more than the last page of this thread. Repeatedly asking for something just makes me more likely to actually do it, so by all means repeat away.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Why do YouTube videos continue to play after I've gone back to the thread from where I first opened the link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Xabi posted:

Why do YouTube videos continue to play after I've gone back to the thread from where I first opened the link?

Is this on iPhone?

• Locked thread