Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mystic Mongol posted:

Short version: Durkon didn't fight, V failed all their concentration checks against the stormy weather, and the rest of them were chumps.

V actually just sucked in the fight. He can't take a hit or hit anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It is very possible that they just rolled really low and she really high

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

So basically Burlew deserves the OotS forums.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Hypocrisy posted:

Let's not say things we can't take back. I wouldn't wish those forums on my worst enemy.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I imagine if you could harness the OotS forums' turbospergs to do research on real-world rules, regulations, and precedents you could get a pretty good (if insufferable and smelly) legal team :v:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Shugojin posted:

I imagine if you could harness the OotS forums' turbospergs to do research on real-world rules, regulations, and precedents you could get a pretty good (if insufferable and smelly) legal team :v:

No, you'd just get TVtropesprecedents.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shugojin posted:

I think that's how you get Freemen on the Land.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Superstring posted:

Let's not say things we can't take back. I wouldn't wish those forums on my worst enemy.

this thread gives the oots forum a run for its money sometimes

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Zoe posted:

After he wrote out how Miko beat the Order, I clearly remember people picking apart his explanation and pointing out how it couldn't have worked that way because [obscure D&D rules only nerds know] and then getting kind of angry at the 'cop out' and railroading of the plot. (Though it's not like OotS is a tabletop game or even a choose your own adventure so your guess is as good as mine how 'railroading' even works...)

Wasn't the plot being railroaded literally the entire point of that joke?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Yup!

Though this part makes me chuckle every time:

quote:

• Elan casts an illusion of what he pictures Lord Shojo to look like, to try to get Miko to back off. It is, not surprisingly, ineffective.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Haschel Cedricson posted:

Wasn't the plot being railroaded literally the entire point of that joke?

The trouble is that Rich is an evolved form of the exact kind of sperg he's arguing with, and he both knows and hates that.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

DoctorTristan posted:

Yup!

Though this part makes me chuckle every time:

I always thought that, reading between the lines, he did something with that illusion that pissed her off so much she had to take him out right after the most powerful member of the group.

sebmojo posted:

The trouble is that Rich is an evolved form of the exact kind of sperg he's arguing with, and he both knows and hates that.

That's really unfair to Burlew on a lot of levels. For one thing, there's a huge difference between being a creator who demands that level of detail of himself, and being a fan who demands it of someone else. (Likewise, he understands that while it might be important to know some of those details, they essentially amount to trivia---cool to share for anyone who was curious, but not worth showing in the strip itself.)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Carrasco posted:

That's really unfair to Burlew on a lot of levels. For one thing, there's a huge difference between being a creator who demands that level of detail of himself, and being a fan who demands it of someone else. (Likewise, he understands that while it might be important to know some of those details, they essentially amount to trivia---cool to share for anyone who was curious, but not worth showing in the strip itself.)

What I'm saying is he understands the urge to COLOUR IN BETWEEN ALL OF THE LINES because he's a huge loving nerd because come on of course he is. But because he's a genuinely good craftsman he knows that urge is contrary to good art and that the huge loving nerds demanding he do so are asking him to make a thing they claim to love, worse.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It was probably a bad move to post that round-by-round breakdown, because now the turbospergs can point to it and say, see, Rich himself does it all the time, it's part of the comic!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Random Stranger posted:

I think that's how you get Freemen on the Land.

That is probably one of the best descriptions of the Freeman on the Land movement.
Sure it leaves out the sections of fraudsters and the desperate people who want to believe in it because they are in trouble, but otherwise it's a fantastically accurate description.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Hypocrisy posted:

Which webcomics have communities that aren't either toxic shitholes or filled with morons that need every goddamned thing explained to them?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bell_ posted:

Which webcomics have communities that aren't either toxic shitholes or filled with morons that need every goddamned thing explained to them?

perry bible fellowship

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

Nearly 50% of them aren't!

Only two of them are, as I'm not counting Durkula.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Bell_ posted:

the webcomics which are finished and don't have anyone talking about them anymore

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Bell_ posted:

Ctrl+Alt+Del, probably, though that's probably because the only people who actually read it do it to make fun of it and its writer, apart from a handful of souls who actually like it, which itself indicates that they're incapable of analyzing anything. And nobody who makes fun of it posts on CAD's actual forums, thus, no toxicity there.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ursine Asylum posted:

the webcomics which are finished and don't have anyone talking about them anymore

The trouble with webcomic communities is that they are full of the sort of people who want to join a webcomic community.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

A.o.D. posted:

Only two of them are, as I'm not counting Durkula.

Haley, V or Roy?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Angela Christine posted:

The trouble with webcomic communities is that they are full of the sort of people who want to join a webcomic community.

Definitely way worse than communities built around a site about making fun of people on the internet.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Endless Mike posted:

Definitely way worse than communities built around a site about making fun of people on the internet.
Making fun of people is in human nature.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Zore posted:

Haley, V or Roy?

Of those three only V has a real empathy problem. Haley's a bit bit pragmatic when dealing with her enemies, but she'd rather help than hurt people. Roy's definitely on the side of the angels, he's just really tired of dealing with everyone's poo poo.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
A Kickstarter backer email just went out saying that the Therkla story is done and should be going out shortly. I got curious and went to the KS page to check- Saturday is the three-year anniversary of the Kickstarter finishing.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Pope Guilty posted:

A Kickstarter backer email just went out saying that the Therkla story is done and should be going out shortly. I got curious and went to the KS page to check- Saturday is the three-year anniversary of the Kickstarter finishing.

I just read it. It was pretty good. Not great.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Pope Guilty posted:

Three years, three PDF stories finished.We should know how the paladin got his scar in 2020.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

I just read it. It was pretty good. Not great.

I liked it a lot, actually. A few good jokes, an unexpected ending, if a bit just-so. A good bit of characterization on one character I previously didn't like, and on another that didn't get much in the main strip. A Good Bonus Comic.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Sky Shadowing posted:

Ctrl+Alt+Del, probably, though that's probably because the only people who actually read it do it to make fun of it and its writer, apart from a handful of souls who actually like it, which itself indicates that they're incapable of analyzing anything. And nobody who makes fun of it posts on CAD's actual forums, thus, no toxicity there.

:rolleyes:

Thou doth protest too much.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hmm, well that worked. I always thought Sangwaan needed more screen time, and making the story nearly as much about her as Therkla? That was a nice touch. Considering how Meh I was about a Therkla story in the first place, this one was a pretty good effort.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Who was Saangwan again? I didn't contribute to the kickstarter and thus won't be reading the comic but don't want to be bothered to look him or her up either.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Cliff Racer posted:

Who was Saangwan again? I didn't contribute to the kickstarter and thus won't be reading the comic but don't want to be bothered to look him or her up either.

The blind seer who uses True Seeing to reveal Xykon and his invisble dracolich at the siege of Azure City just before she's bitten and thrown off the battlements by the dracolich.

I really liked the story. Therkla was kind of one-note and this added some welcome depth to her. And, of course, reminded us of what a monster Kubota was.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Can someone spoil the plot? Pretty please? I don't care much about Therkla (IMO most of the other subjects picked for the KS comics were pretty dumb too) but the inclusion of that person you're all spoilering sounds interesting.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

Three years, three PDF stories finished.We should know how the paladin got his scar in 2020.
At which point Rich will have realized it's actually important to the main story and revealed it in an exposition panel.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Zoe posted:

Can someone spoil the plot? Pretty please? I don't care much about Therkla (IMO most of the other subjects picked for the KS comics were pretty dumb too) but the inclusion of that person you're all spoilering sounds interesting.

Therkla is sent on a mission to steal something, but ends up getting sucked into a zelda-style fetch quest chain. Along the way she meets Saangwan and the two hit it off. Therkla finishes the night better off than she started, and with a new (first ever?) friend. Who promptly dies on the last page to Xykon's invisible dragon, whoops.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Just read the story. I quite liked it, and I was never fond of Therkla before. Brought me around.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

MikeJF posted:

Just read the story. I quite liked it, and I was never fond of Therkla before. Brought me around.

Well, I mean, it's been how many years since that arc finished up?

My point is people can move past it, and heal.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
It was pretty clever how Therkla worked out she was functionally immortal for the rest of the night, due to Sangwaan agreeing they should meet up for drinks later in the week. Also Sangwaan's death was pretty drat ironic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Brony Hunter posted:

Also Sangwaan's death was pretty drat ironic.

I know I didn't see it coming...